The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Painted Sentinel Tactics minis

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture
Painted Sentinel Tactics minis

I have not seen any one posting paint jobs yet. So please post pics of your painted minis here. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mlangsdorf posted a few in the Fan Art thread.

Looking forward to seeing what folks have done with them!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

cheekyThanks for that link. I finished painting Baron Blade last night. I'll take some pics when I get off work. Not my best paint job. The face looks terrible & at one point I dropped it on the floor while it was wet, which jacked up the paint & primer. But overall I think it looks good. Way better than any hero click. 

mlangsdorf

In addition to finishing Omnitron, Bunker, AZ, and the golems, I've started on Ambuscade, Visionary, Unity, the Operative, Baron Blade, Legacy, Tachyon, and Wraith. If I can find some white paint that is actually thick enough to coat properly, and a red paint that is crimson instead of brick or orange, I'll hopefully have all of them (and possibly Ra) finished by this weekend and pictures up.

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Here's my Baron Blade:

not sure what was with the upside down pic; It showed right side up for me everywhere but when i tried to upload it to BGG...dumb iphone :-P

Attachments: 
Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

How did you get it to stick to the ceiling like that?

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

There's an impulsion beam the next floor up, pointed down.

mlangsdorf

Very nice work. I hope my Baron Blade comes out looking half as nice as that.

But I know he won't. Stupid lack of light gray for the coat's basecoat.

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

You have a white & black right? Mix it. I only have primary & secondary color paints & black and white. So I mix all my colors. 

Also im using a black ink wash (mixed from one part black paint, 10 parts future floor wax) to give them a more comic look. I plan to add some highlights to Baron Blade, and then put a gloss coat on his gauntlet and goggles to make them shine. 

You can use this ink wash on his coat after painting it white to give it a shaded look. Or you can just dunk the completely painted & dried mini into the wash & shake off excess. This gives the mini an almost instant shaded look. Also the floor wax acts like a sealant & can help protect the paint job. 

Ill post my beacon tonight. She is currently drying from the flat topcoat that I just put on her. 

mlangsdorf

Actually, I don't have a white. I thought I did when I started painting, but it'd gone bad and the replacement color I got was off-white cream, not white. Ah, well.

And here's more of the Freedom VI:

I also finished Visonary, bur for some reason I forgot to take a picture of her. Which is sad, since she came out the best in this lot.

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Beacon:

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Unity:

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

I was hesitant at first... But quickshade dip works extrealy well on these minis. I just dipped Ra with this stuff this morning & wow. I'll post a pic later today. It takes 24 hrs for it to dry. 

If you're interested, here's a link. It's a bit expensive, but there's enough In the can for around 150 minis. It come in black, dark brown, & reddish brown. I'm using dark brown (aka strong tone)

Strong Tone Quick Shade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UVVTXM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ZOZ9tb0MBNHCC

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Wraith & Rà:

Attachments: 
mlangsdorf

Proletariat!

Citizen Dawn and the Operative

Visionary (original outfit), Young Legacy (repurposed/custom figure), Beacon, and Ra (mostly original outfit)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Very nice.  I can't tell from the pix if you're adding shading and highlights yourself or if it's a trick of the light.  Ra looks like he's definitely got highlights on the flames and maybe on his skin (?), but the others look like they may be straight colors only.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

mlangsdorf

Ra's skin and flame, Visionary's suit, Proletariats' shirts, Young Legacy's dress and cape, and everyone's hair and face got highlighted (usually with a base and a drybrush, but some of it also got a wash). Most of the rest is just straight colors, but some of the paint was thin enough for that effectively to be a stain.

mlangsdorf

Citizens of the Sun, in progress! Everyone is looking decent, though the uniform shirts on most of the guys are a bit iffy.

The 4 seasons are looking really good, especially Citizen Winter and Citizen Summer. Citizen Tears is nearly finished (she needs some touch up and color for her eyes) and I'm pretty proud of her.

It's a bit hard to make out, but Citizens Truth and Dare and Citizen Blood are all pretty much in their original uniforms. I like the alternating revered colors on the twins and Blood's got that swanky suit that I really like. Too bad he doesn't have the hat in mini form, but he does have a monocle (unpainted, but I know I'll get it before I'm done).

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Those are great!

if you want to get more definition, do an Inkwash

Either get a black inkwash pot, or mix black paint with water until its about the consistency of ink from a ballpoint pen. Then take a broad flat brush and run it over them. The ink will pool in the crevices and remain there. If need be, take another brush to pull some of the ink off flat spaces (especially useful on big flat areas, like OmnitronV) This will give some great definition to their lines, and awesome shadowing.

My Proletariats are almost done, will be posting them soon

EDIT:

Ahaha... you mentioned that already. hahaha :)

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

mlangsdorf

So, those Citizens. Wow, do they take a lot of time to paint! Paint 8 pairs of boots, gloves, and arm and legs bands red, then paint 8 pairs of pants black, then go back and touch up all the red, then go back and touch up all the black. It's exhausting. So those guys are still not quite done, but I should have pictures up tomorrow or Friday.

As a side project, I started making some 3D terrain. Spiff is doing fold-up cardstock, but I wanted something sturdier, shorter, and (hopefully) a little easier to make. My gaming group is across town, so my Tactics stuff is going to spend a fair bit of time traveling, and I've had card stock crumple under those conditions.

Instead of card stock, I'm using foam core. Each tier is about 5mm, so I don't need to worry as much about hiding figures behind tall buildings, but there's enough of a height difference to make everything very visible. Here's some sample views of the Freedom Tower plaza:

I've cut out the patterns for most of the Megapolis tiles, and now I need to glue them all together and put the hex tops on them. I hope to have some good pictures of the entire deal from a game I'll be playing on Friday.

I wrote a bit more about how I'm making this terrain on my blog: http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com/2014/08/sentinels-tactics-building-up-terrain.html

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Great idea.  Definitely more sturdy than my 3D terrain.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Used to do that with foamcore in battletech, works really well.

mlangsdorf

The Citizens of the Sun!

They still need to be washed and lacquered, but aside from that and a few touch-ups, they're done. Finally.

Blood, Sweat, and Tears!

Blood is mostly in his original costume, but he lacks his cool hat. Maybe I'll get a second set of the minis and try crafting his hat someday.

The 4 Seasons!

These were probably the easiest and most enjoyable Citizens to paint. Very little fuss or mess.

Citizens Truth and Dare!

Another pair I did in their original outfits, because the reversed orange and red with yellow details is better than the beige and black uniforms of the other guys.

All the other guys!

Not a bad looking bunch, I think.

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Excellent citizens!

awesone idea with the foam core hexes. I May have to duplicate it once I'm done painting. 

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

I LOVE that foamcore terrain, it looks awesome. Really effective and easily shows at a glance the height changes, something my group have found even with dots is easy to forget at times.

mlangsdorf

Megalopolis in 3-D! This took a couple hours of work, and could use some clean-up and maybe some cardstock to cover the sides of the buildings, but I was excited and wanted to share what I had.

I just set up the buildings very quickly. In an actual game, I'd put sticky-tack on the bottom of the buildings to keep them in place.

If you look closely, you can see the numbers I put on the buildings to identify them with their tiles. It's surprisingly helpful.

I've cut the forms for Insula Primalis terrain, and put about half of it together. I should have the rest finished tomorrow morning. The only remaining tricky parts are the volcano and setting up the monorail lines, though I have plans for both of those.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Very nice.  Too bad you couldn't permanently attach them to the tiles so you wouldn't have to set anything up at all, but with the tiles being two-sided, that wouldn't work.

mlangsdorf

The tiles are two-sided, and I need to be able to transport the entire game across town on a regular basis. So putting the buildings on the map in a permanent fashion would make the game take up 3x as much as space in my car, and I'm already not looking forward to carrying the ST main box + the 2 mini boxes + 2 Armory mini cases (for my Underboss, thug, civilian, blade battalion, and drone proxies) from my car to the store.

mlangsdorf

Insula Primalis complete.

The volcano is just a raised ring sitting on the tile itself which is sitting on a couple pieces of scrap, which is why you can see the carpet through the gap. I had a plan to create a better base than that, but it didn't work out. Still, it looks great.

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

mlangsdorf

Nice work, Ace, especially the detail on Legacy's belt. Too bad about the Baron's Impulsion Beam getting your guys again.

I got together with some friends at the local game store last night, and we got through 4 games. A lot of fun. I only took a couple of pictures, but here's some games in progress with painted miniatures and 3-D terrain.

A pair of shots from a very random skirmish. We played 3 skirmishes with this set-up, and I got curb-stomped every time. In the first one, giving Omni-Tron access to Drone Deployment in a skirmish game was a huge mistake.

The first uprising scenario: the Operative versus Beacon, Ra, and Unity. I had proxied in the Underbosses and the thugs, so everything in this game was in 3-D.

I posted some notes on the actual play of the game on my blog: http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com/2014/08/sentinel-tactics-actual-play-1.html

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Are they upside down again? Omg I really need to stop posting from my phone :P I'll fix it as soon as I can get to a computer

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

You're braver than me, with drinks on the table.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Silverleaf wrote:

Oh, you're one of those. Well, you'd hate playing at my place. Beers and pizza almost always share table space with my games. And I don't even sleeve!

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

boxwood
Playtester

My gaming group is also weirdly paranoid about drinks, it's weird that the only time drinks spill are when they freak out about it and quickly reach to take it off the table.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

imprimis5 wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

Oh, you're one of those. Well, you'd hate playing at my place. Beers and pizza almost always share table space with my games. And I don't even sleeve!

Well if you can afford to replace a game with expansions (not to mention promos that I wouldn't even be able to buy), go right ahead.

I'm not a sleever either because I don't like how they feel and they are expensive and in most cases unnecessary, but I prefer to buy new games with my limited gaming budget rather than rebuy something I already own because someone knocked over a drink that they could easily have put on a different table.

Yes, it's happened to me. So no more drinks on my table.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Some people live within walking distance of GtG headquarters so they don't have to pay international shipping.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Still. I'd rather not essentially waste however much Tactics + Uprising will be at retail, especially as I wouldn't be able to get new promos and the game won't be available for a while anyway.

The convenience of having beer on the game table is just not worth the risk for me.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Me either.  I make people wash their hands before we continue playing after a food break.

That's how us cranky old-timers roll.

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Here's three of mine.  I'd say WIP, but I'm probably too lazy to go back to them. I am impressed with the camera's macro feature.

Absolute Zero

Omnitron IV is looking at you. The green detailing on the bottom was probably excessive.

Omnitron IV back detail. I used a wet blend on the "glowy" bits. Basically I put the two colors on the back and blend them together until it looks right.

Citizens Hammer and Anvil. I wanted to do better for these two, but thought they turned out alright. Now I know I hate painting facial hair.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Acefury.eq
Acefury.eq's picture

Absolute Zero:

Visionary:

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Nice! I really like your gloves on AZ.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I've never painted miniature before, ever, so I'm actually rather pleased with how theses first few came out. None are complete, but I'm pretty happy so far!

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I'm a slow painter, but I've started on the Tactics minis.  

Absolute Zero is looking good!

Heres the front.

Champion bot?  NO!  Iron Legacy has arrived!

mlangsdorf

Nice start on those figures, Theta_sigma. I'd definitely recommend taking the time to paint the star on Proletariat's faces. Are you planning on drybrushing? The solid colors you have are good, but a little more definition on some of them and they'll really pop.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My first foray into painting minis. A friend showed me the basics and I cut my teeth on Proletariat. I'm pretty pleased with how he came out, but have some ideas for how to improve him next time (good thing I get to make several attempts at him).

itsshortstuff
Playtester

Our first time as well :p

still haven't decided on doing a wash or not

All he needs are eyes, our white paint was backordered :(

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

If you shoot for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars?   Neither of those things seem happy in SotM.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Donner wrote:

If you shoot for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars?   Neither of those things seem happy in SotM.

Also difficult to make range to the moon.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Depends how far Baron Blade was able to pull it before you stopped his plans

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Donner wrote:

And now Maia's grumbling in the corner about Targetting Computer getting nerfed.

Pages