The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Letters Page!

247 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer
The Letters Page!

Hey, Sentinels fans!

One thing that comic books have that I've always enjoyed is a "letters page" - a page or two at the back of the comic book where readers can write in to ask the creators questions. Adam and I were talking about this recently, and we've decided to launch something similar, but in our own way.

Rather than doing a written thing, we're going to do a podcast.

We find ourselves talking about the world and history of Sentinel Comics on a daily basis here in the office, and thought this might be a great way to bring that world to those of you out there who are interested. So, this is a "soft announcement" of our upcoming podcast: The Letters Page!

The Letters Page - The Sentinel Comics Podcast

But what does any Letters Page require? Letters, of course! The format of this show will be very Q&A oriented, in that the bulk of it will be us reading e-mails sent in by Sentinels fans, and then answering your questions and talking about anything we're inspired to talk about, given that topic. We want to launch the podcast in a couple months, and that will give us time to start the process of reading your letters and recording our answers.

So! Want us to read and respond to your letter in The Letters Page? Use this handy form (thanks, Pydro!) to submit your letter! We'll be talking about Sentinel Comics things, not card games or tabletop games or anything like that - this is about the comic book stories and back stories that make up the world of Sentinel Comics. So make sure that your e-mails are about this history of the characters and what stories we have told, not "How do we beat Iron Legacy?" or "Who is the next big villain?" There's plenty of help with gameplay stuff and future-speculation right here on the forum!

Submit your questions! We look forward to reading your letters! 

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ooooo, this will be fun!

I look forward to hearing your replies!

Ha! And I just saw Omnitron was the mic, nice touch!

I wonder if ending every sentence in this post with an exclamation point getting a 1:1 ratio is some sort of record!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

This is super exciting. Expect some email from me when I'm off work.

Also, I love the in-joke with Adam's mug. Kudos.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Really?! Do you mean it?

This is exactly what iv been waiting for. Omg I'm gonna spam your inbox SO hard when I get home from work. 

This is better than Tactics and GSF and double fudge brownies combined. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It might save a little time if you answer this right now:

Will you be revealing new stuff that we shouldn't know yet, or only expanding on thigns we do?

If the former, there will be a lot of questions asking you to reveal info.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Soooo many questions to ask.  

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Really? Awesome!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Really looking forward to this! Don't even know where to start on the questions, but will definitely think about it ASAP.

Questions:

1. When do you need the letters by (for the first ep)?
  2. Timing of first ep?
  3. How will we get the episodes? (Will they just be posted here on the forums, available via iTunes, something else?)

Thanks for giving us this opportunity! laugh

imprimis5 wrote:

Also, I love the in-joke with Adam's mug. Kudos.

Glad I wasn't the only one who got that! smiley

I don't think the walls are orange enough, though. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Will you be revealing new stuff that we shouldn't know yet, or only expanding on thigns we do?

We could totally reveal past things that you don't know yet. We're unlikely to talk as much about the way things are moving forward - especially with Sentinel Tactics story stuff. But things that have happened in the "history" of Sentinel Comics are the best bet. The further "back" the questions go, the more likely they are to be answered, and expounded upon.

This podcast, at least at the beginning, is more interested in filling in the gaps in the history than in setting the stage for the future.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Given it's you answering the questions, how much can we trust the answers? wink

I mean, an entire podcazst of reading out questions, followed by someone screaming "Smoke bombs"! wouldn't be fun. Ok it would be fun, but only at first.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Russ has questions!

1. When do you need the letters by (for the first ep)?

Whenever! We want to start recording an episode or two a week within the next couple weeks - we're shooting for each episode to be about an hour long. Questions we get in the next couple weeks are more likely to show up in earlier episodes. But there's no deadline! We're going to be putting out a new episode once a week, and we intend on doing this for a long time. At least, we hope you all have enough interest for us to get to share that much!

2. Timing of first ep?

We would love to put out our first episode in, say, mid-late July? But we're not sure yet. Depends on how long it takes to build the website and such. Which brings us to...

3. How will we get the episodes? (Will they just be posted here on the forums, available via iTunes, something else?)

They will be at www.letterspagepodcast.com eventually... still working on that part. While Joel is working on website stuff, we're working on episode and recording stuff! We're also hoping to have them on iTunes and Stitcher. Are there other ways you want to get them? Let us know! We've never made a podcast before!

Thanks for your questions!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm confused. How do we see the beard on a podcast?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Pydro wrote:

It will make itself apparent.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

imprimis5 wrote:

Pydro wrote:

It will make itself apparent.

Beards can't have babies silly

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Question:

Should we word these like they are letters to a comic book, or just ask a question?

For Example:

Dear Legacy,

Did you ever get Grounded?  I got grounded for going to the playground when I was supposed to be doing homework.  Can you tell my Mom that exercise is important?

Thank you,

Geoff.

Or:

Hey Christopher, can you give us a story about Legacy getting in trouble when he was younger?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Either or! We would totally take either question and answer them in the spirit they were written!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Cool...so could questions be addressed to the characters, and then you'd answer them in-character? Because that would be epic :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Dear Christopher,

Its dark and I can't see anything. Also I have lost feeling in my legs. Where am I?

Love,

Golem Unity's incap side

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

so could questions be addressed to the characters, and then you'd answer them in-character?

Hah, well, we probably won't do any radio plays or anything like that, but we would talk about what the character's been through and what has happened in their life that would inform that question, and then come up with what their answer would be in their words.

So, pretty much, yeah. Just don't expect professional voice-acting or anything like that out of us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

This is exciting. I'll definitely have to send in a question or two!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Pydro has done a most excellent thing and put together a submission form! Check it out here!

So, when submitting your questions to the Letters Page, please use this form! 

And don't forget to thank our friendly neighborhood Pydro for being awesome!

[EDIT: Updated to include correct link!]

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good idea. I (and presumably everyone) need access to both the form and the spreadsheet. Check your permissions.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Slight mistake. Here is the link to the form.

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

This sounds awesome.  I will probably wait a few shows before submitting as I know there will be a ton of ideas to start with.  Also, might breed more questions.  I really think this will help develop my favorite characters' personalities.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ohh yeah a podcast is audio isn't it...I didn't think of that. Okay so for in-character replies you could just do it as though the character had been given the question and had passed on a written reply for you to read out :D.

Will have to try and think of some questions to ask all of the people :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Would you like it to be only one question per submission? I do have quite the number on these two sketch pads in front of me (yes, I needed two pads. And no, don't look at me that way. You shouldn't be surprised all things considered)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If a question has multiple related parts and aren't too long, one submission is fine. However, do not put multiple questions in one submission. Christopher wants to mark off the queations when answered, which will be much easy with separate submissions. Of course, this is only a guess.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Well, at least he'll have a more than steady stream of stuff to look over

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

This idea is so awesome. This is going to be great.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I look at the The Letters Page Image and I get the feeling Adam is not pleased with Christopher for being so cheery before he has had his coffee. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

This part:

Adam is not pleased with Chris[topher] for being so cheery

...is just generally true.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I like this idea! I just submitted a question as well! I asked it a long time ago, I hope I finally get a proper response! cheeky

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Hey, folks! 

We've gotten a ton of great questions! We're working through them now, and we're currently working on an episode about Legacy! We've got a few questions already that we like, but we could certainly use a couple more. Got some burning questions about the first American hero? Ask them here!

Thanks!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dlott1988
dlott1988's picture
Playtester

If you folks need any music, let me know. I compose all the music for my videos and did the music for this podcast: http://dibtbpodcast.blogspot.com/?m=1

"It beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick..."

dedlius

Just saw this a few days ago and am very excited. Any (more recent) word on when the first episode will hit?

HikariStarshine
Playtester

Hey, do you guys actually for sure control www.letterspagepodcast.com ? I swear that looks like a squatter page...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

We do! The actual site is not yet live, so I guess our registrar squats it in the mean time :P

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Any chance the first episode will be recorded live at GenCon?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

No, unfortunately. We hope to start recording some time after PAX, though that depends on a variety of factors.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I think if you do onw in October/November, you should record it in Australia wink

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

Okay, I have a few questions:

1.  In the history of SotM, who is really the first modern hero (i.e. those who came after G.I. Bunker and G.I. Legacy)?  Is it Legacy himself, Black Fist (a.k.a. Mr. Fixer), or someone else?

2. You guys have made an awesome game and come up with a back story and an excellent comic.  Will we ever see just fun, possibly (non) canon fanfiction from Christopher, Adam, or Paul?

3. Will we see more villains in the same vein as those featured in the Vengence expansion?  Will those featured in the Vengence expansion get the original villain setup?

4. Which villain do you most regret creating either because they are too dark or silly?

5. Your heroes often have unique flaws that separate them from most heroes in comics which seem like gods among men.  What flaw either emotionally or physically would you most like to explore next?

6. Will we see the return of a team-up with Richard Launius ever again? 

7. If you were ever given permission, which comic hero would you like to bring to the world of Sentinels and which version?

8.  Will you ever do a "cameo" ala Stan Lee where the creators are heroes in their own world (even though you guys are already "Citizens")?

9. Which hero's backstory would you most like to flesh out and turn into an animated movie?

10. Can we expect to see more Sentinels minis from GTG or are you going to just stick with tokens for future Tactics expansions?

11. What is the best criticism of the game design that you have heard that has helped shaped the game?

Okay, that was more than a few and there are more to ask, but these are off the top of my head.

Go forth noble heroes!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

You'll probably have to submit those questions using Pydro's form.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Was the Letters Page advertised at GenCon?

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

Is there a final ETA on release?

Go forth noble heroes!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Now that the cons are over, does this make the short list?

HikariStarshine
Playtester

I asked Christopher about it at the pre-PAX mixer and the way he explained it, it sounds like they know exactly what they're doing in the first episode already, and just need to find the time to record it.

So...maybe it makes the short list now?

dedlius

Is this still happening in the foreseeable future?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Absolutely! We're still very excited about this. It just had to take a back-seat due to a few major projects, such as the Sentinel Tactics tournament stuff.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

green knight

Legacy what do think of sonic.

Haha you're toast heroebrine. :green Goomba Luigi royal guardian:mine craft impact of the heroebrine
go picachu. :Element:sonicmon
Thanks for the Cupid's bow element o sonic. :Amy:the untold stories of sonic the hedgehog:Amy's Valentine's day trap

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Any updates on this, even if it is "now on the back burner".

Animus
Animus's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Any updates on this, even if it is "now on the back burner".

Christopher had some news regarding The Letters Page on the Handelabra stream last night. I can't link to it at work, but he bascially said that his new setup for live streaming will open the door for The Letters Page to be a thing. He still didn't commit to actually doing it, though, but it's the most encouraging news on this in a while. 

Pages