The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Sidekick for iPad & iPhone & Android

321 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

FYI: the 1.1 update with the "+" button fix, as well as custom card support, has been submitted and should be available within a week. Thanks to Gnipp and arenson9 for some beta testing!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Gnipp
Playtester

Anytime!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:
FYI: the 1.1 update with the "+" button fix, as well as custom card support, has been submitted and should be available within a week. Thanks to Gnipp and arenson9 for some beta testing!

Sorry it wasn't more.

I haven't actually played a game using the app yet. I wonder for those who have how easier or hard it is for everyone around the table to see and use the tablet. My guess is that this would be most useful for solo play?!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

The app is great for solo and really great for groups.

I use it on the ipad and it's big enough for everyone to take a look. Notation for who is highest and who is lowest helps also.

It isn't any different than one person using a pen and paper to track everyone, except now anyone can add and subtract their own health on an interactive surface in the middle of the table.

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Tegulus

It's really nice for two player. My wife and I play together frequently. (We try to play almost every night, but our daughter is five months old and usually demands attention.)
And we just use my iPhone. I'd love to try it on an iPad...but that would require an iPad.
Still, this is a nice tool when the cats also decide that they want attention. At least two games had to be aborted when a cat dive bombed the dice and we couldn't remember everyone's HP.

Oogie Da Bruce

Love the app. Thanks for making this.

iPhone version is great for playing with my work lunch game group. They love it too. I feel it freed them up to focus on the game more and increased their overall enjoyment of the game.

iPad version is great at home. The bigger screen goes a long way.

Looking forward to future updates.

Dryden
Dryden's picture
Playtester

Wow thanks for the sneak peak and for creating such an awesome app! I could not see my self playing any other way.  :D

paymerich

I  have also been working on a web app for Sentinels.  right now its only informational on the cards.  Warning it is very ALPHA right now but feel free to see it at http://www.sentinels-hero.com  . My app is more for pre-game but it is going to have rudimentary HP tracking.  MigrantP's app is very good and I hope Greater Than runs with it.

Pablo

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Dryden wrote:
Wow thanks for the sneak peak and for creating such an awesome app! I could not see my self playing any other way.  :D

http://failblog.org/2012/06/10/funny-facebook-fails-failbook-the-hero-th...
:)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

1.1 is now out, have at it!

I'm at WWDC this week so pretty busy, but I'll be working on more Sidekick features soon. Stay tuned =)

Dryden
Dryden's picture
Playtester

Thanks for the update. It solved the problem I was having with adding life on my iPad.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Thanks for the update.  I'm curious about the new feature to allow users to make their own cards. Since all the cards in the game are fixed, why did you think this was a necessary feature?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Gnipp
Playtester

Someone named Gnipp asked if it was possible to add such a feature for playtesting purposes and also to support home brew cards.....

That Gnipp is always stirring up trouble.....

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Yep, pretty much those reasons =). I also wanted to improve the add card interface, and it looks much slicker now as part of the new feature.

Also, if me and everyone else at Handelabra gets hit by a bus, then you guys can carry on the torch and add Infernal Relics yourselves. But hopefully it won't come to that =)

Ryushikaze
Playtester

So, loving the sidekick, both the Ipod/phone version, which I have, and the Ipad version, which my friend has.

If there was one complaint about the ipod version I had, it would be that villain and environment card addition and HP management is so much less convenient than the ipad version. Though I was thinking that a Villain only/ Environment Only/ Hero Only view you could swap between would be a nice option to add, so that I could see all the villain targets at once, and then switch over to the environment targets with a button click, instead of the two or more currently, and having to go into the villain submenu to deal with their minions. I figure that you could do it like the canon and custom hero fields, but with three selectors, and have it be an on/off option in the menu, like repeat heroes.

The app's current layout works perfectly for the ipad, but it's a little clunky on ipod. Still more efficient than my dice bag most times, but it could be even quicker, I think.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Hm, interesting idea. So when you have the minion cards screen up, there's a toolbar at the bottom with quick navigation to environment cards and general cards, and vice versa. I like it =). I don't think it would need to be an option either, it could be available all the time on iPhone.

Ryushikaze
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:
Hm, interesting idea. So when you have the minion cards screen up, there's a toolbar at the bottom with quick navigation to environment cards and general cards, and vice versa. I like it =). I don't think it would need to be an option either, it could be available all the time on iPhone.

Yeah, that's exactly the interface I was thinking of. Thanks for taking the feedback.

ax0r
Playtester

Used this for a couple games I played solo recently, and I like it quite a lot
I don't find it that useful for villain minions (when looking at which targets to attack, its good to see their abilities and hp at the same time), but its great for hero and villain hp, particularly max health variations.
Was great to use playing against spite, 'cause I never forgot to heal Spite with any damage he dealt.

With regards to custom cards - I've put in a custom for America's Newest Legacy and Rook City Wraith, which obviously works fine.
With alternate villains coming with the new kickstarter rewards, I think being able to make a custom villain and then assign an existing villain's deck to that villain would be good (so that Alternate Baron Blade will still have easy access to his minions and such).
The same thing would come in useful if we ever get an alternate Visionary.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I didn't include alternates in Sidekick because there's not much to them as far as the app is concerned -- you can just choose Legacy then change the max HP and you're set. However with the improved select card UI, it might be reasonable to include them as built-in options.

Things have been busy at Handelabra with GAME.minder and Uncle Slam, but I hope to get some time in on Sentinels Sidekick soon. I also want to have effect tracking whenever I play a game with it, so that's definitely going to be in the next update =)

Ryushikaze
Playtester

So, I had a thought for an additional, somewhat simple functionality to add to the sidekick- Single Deck random selection- Instead of having to randomize the who game in a single go, could you add a 'random' selection for hero, villain, and envionment that appears along with the regular deck selection? Sometimes, one or two fellow players definitely want a particular character and the other wants random, that sort of thing.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Heya, quick update! We're preparing an update that has the Infernal Relics and promo hero/villain, as well as that quick nav feature requested by Ryushikaze. If all goes well it will be submitted shortly and available in a week or two.

This small update won't have effect tracking -- but the next major update should, when I can get the time to do it!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Version 1.2 is now available with the following changes:

- Added cards from Infernal Relics and promos (Unity & Ambuscade).

- iPhone version can now quickly navigate between environment cards, villain cards, and hero target cards.

A big thanks to arenson9 for helping out with the expansion cards!

Not sure when the next version will be, but I'd like to get effect tracking in as well as deal with any changes relating to the Enhanced Edition.

oddthomas
Playtester

Still says version 1.1 and on my phone says thiers no update. :(

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Sometimes it takes a little while for the App Store to refresh everywhere. Do you see it now?

Kaudrim
Playtester

Still want this for android

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Plato

XChylde
XChylde's picture

Any chance of this updating soon to include Shattered Timelines?  I freaking love this app and now am so dependent that it is hard to play without it. I can get by in some ways simply by selecting a character with the same HP as an expansion character but it is harder for new villains and environments.

Aaron Stark

XChylde wrote:

Any chance of this updating soon to include Shattered Timelines?  I freaking love this app and now am so dependent that it is hard to play without it. I can get by in some ways simply by selecting a character with the same HP as an expansion character but it is harder for new villains and environments.

In the meantime, you can do what I did and add the new decks as custom decks.  It takes a little time, but it works.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We have an update for Shattered Timelines (and Enhanced Edition) in the works and should have it available soon.

FYI - you can save your custom deck file to your computer via iTunes and share it around, so people don't have to enter the info twice.

Aaron Stark

I'll do that.  Anyone who would like my custom deck file, which includes all the new decks, send me a PM.

Migrant, what all do I need to share?  Just the CustomCards.plist or the SentinelsSidekick.sqlite as well?  And are the iPad an iPhone version cross-compatible?  That is, if I pull the file from my iPad, will it be usable for people on their iPhone?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Just the CustomCards.plist. The file will work on both iPhone and iPad, no problem.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

FYI - the 1.3 update has been submitted to the App Store for review and should be available next week. It includes Shattered Timelines and promo decks, Enhanced Edition support, and a few other things. Keep an eye out for it!

Gnipp
Playtester

Just used it again last night!!!  Thanks again for the app!!!

Sarpathian
Sarpathian's picture

This app is great for solo play.  Love it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hobos have been living off of pigeon jerky for years! - Olly

santiagomendeziv

Can't wait to get the update and the new expansion. This is such a great game and this app really helps keep the focus on the game and not on book keeping.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Glad to hear you are enjoying the app. You'll like the 1.3 update and I have a feeling you'll love what we're working on for 2.0 =)

smafdi
Playtester

Any chance on putting this out for android?

XChylde
XChylde's picture

Megalopolis is missing the target card Targeting Civilians. Might want to add that to the update. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Targeting Civilians is an Enhanced Edition change, and it's part of the update (along with the other card changes).

In fact, the update was just approved and will be available any time now! Keep an eye out for the brand new icon appearing here!

smafdi: We don't have any current Android plans; it's a native app so it would take a complete rewrite to support that.

FanaticalFan

Just downloaded the update. I love it! I like the logo alot    . This app is great. Thank you for making it and keeping up to date

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

FanaticalFan wrote:

Just downloaded the update. I love it! I like the logo alot    . This app is great. Thank you for making it and keeping up to date

This! 

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

smafdi wrote:

Any chance on putting this out for android?

Just Steal Jo's ipad ;)

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

fanaka66
fanaka66's picture

Thanks so much for this app!  I don't think I would even try solo games without it. 

Couple of comments...

1) Love the new icon!  It is a million times better than before!

2) Did you ask >G if you could use more artwork?  It would be cool if the heroes/villains/environements names could be replaced by the art from the dividers.

3) How does it randomize if you have everything active?  Are all heroes and promos weighted equally?  Will Legacy and the Wraith get picked more often since they have more versions?

4) Would it be possible to re-randomize the individual pieces if you don't like the set-up?  Say you're fine with everything, except you just fought Iron Legacy.  It would be nice to re-randomize just him and keep everything else as is.

Thanks again!

It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

Happy Thoughts

Allow me to make a long-overdue "Thank you!" for this app. I've been using it for a while on my iPad and it provides a tremendous benefit, regardless of the number of players in the game.

At the risk of piling on with a feature request, there is one thing I'd love to see in the app. With the removal of the maximum HP counter, it seems like a good time to do so though. Namely, I think a secondary counter for specific character cards to keep track of "special" things like Wraith's Stealth, Tachyon's Burst cards in her trash, Citizen Dawn's Citizens in her trash, etc. would be a nice convenience.

Also, as others have said, thanks for keeping the app up to date with expansions (and future-proofing it with custom deck capability).

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Glad you all like it! Even better would be to post a review in the App Store.. wink wink nudge nudge =)

fanaka66: The randomizer does not 100% play well with different hero/villain versions, we're going to fine tune that aspect for the next update. Right now all versions of cards are weighted equally so you indeed have more chance of getting Wraith; and not only that, it can draw more than one version of Wraith. Good idea on #4 - it wouldn't be hard for the card selector UI to have a "pick random" button.

Happy Thoughts: Good suggestions. We have some ideas around that sort of thing that we'd like to have the app help you out with. Effect tracking (e.g. +1 damage dealt by all heroes, etc) is a big one.

I can tell you that you will be very pleased with the next version. So stay tuned.. and please keep posting your feedback and ideas, it's a great help! I'm just one player, so I need to hear what you want to have in the app.

VanceAttack

I know you already said it would take a lot of effort to put this out for Android, but I second pursuing this! 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Wow, turns out there's a lot more interest in Sentinels Sidekick when it's officially endorsed by Greater Than Games! =) We also were able to have a couple iPads running Sidekick at the GTG booth at PAX East, and players really enjoyed using the app to help track the game.

We're working on an update that will address the issues around promo cards and the randomizer, so stay tuned for that.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

We also were able to have a couple iPads running Sidekick at the GTG booth at PAX East, and players really enjoyed using the app to help track the game.

This is very true. As I noted in another thread, there were at least a couple people who resisted, because they liked using tokens and so just didn't want to try it, BUT everyone I saw try it liked it.

I had personally never used the app while playing with other people, rather than solo, so I'd been skeptical that everyone around a table would be able to use the app simultaneously, but it worked great.

Pros -- Pretty; easy to use; usually faster than slinging tokens

Cons -- Takes a few seconds longer for setup than grabbing tokens for starting HPs does; when large HP changes need to be made, it takes a large number of clicks

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

tacticaltechkyle

Short story.

I lost my phone on Monday. Tuesday I took out my cards to fire up a quick solo game, and put it all back when I remembered I did not have the sidekick app to help out haha.

Love the app man. As someone who bought the base set well before the EE (so no tokens or anything), your app has completley altered my experience with the game to the point where I find it difficult to play without it. So thank you and keep up the great work

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Well this is interesting. I just downloaded an app for my android that I thought was the same as this app (it is called SotM Sidekick), but looking at this thread you guys aren't the ones who made this. Which may be good, because I was going to ask how the heck this thing was supposed to handle more than one hero and villain, or do anything at all with the environment.

IKerensky

It is very good application GOOD JOB !!

If you make changes think about the guys that use a minipad and have large fingers ;)

Pages