The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Crack the Case

394 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Crack the Case

Crack the Case is a mystery game published by Milton Bradley in 1993, and I think it might be fun to try it on the forums. Here is how it works: I will present to you a case and the mystery. Your goal is to figure out the mystery by asking yes/no questions. I will answer the questions based on the full story, but I can only give one of seven possible responses:

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes and No
  4. Irrelevant
  5. I Don't Know
  6. Define What You Mean By...
  7. Rephrase Your Question

Let's start with an easy one.

The Case - Easy

Donald Cartwright, arrogant lawyer, is found dead in a store. The muder weapon, in plain sight, is never recovered.

The Mystery

Who killed Donald and how?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Was the mighty Ronway involved?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Was the mighty Ronway involved?

No.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was the murder weapon unable to be moved? Either too large, fixed in place, etc.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon unable to be moved? Either too large, fixed in place, etc.

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was the murder weapon something that is conventionally thought of as a weapon?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon something that is conventionally thought of as a weapon?

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was the murder weapon a plant or animal?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon a plant or animal?

Define what you mean by "was" and "plant or animal."

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past.

Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past. Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.

Yes.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

is the lawyer's being "arrogant" relevant to the case?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

is the lawyer's being "arrogant" relevant to the case?

Yes.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Is the nature of the store relevant to the case? (does it matter what kind of store it is?)

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Is the nature of the store relevant to the case? (does it matter what kind of store it is?)

Yes.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Was Donald actually murdered? (Murder being an unlawful death on purpose, accidents, suicides and other things I can't think of need not apply)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Was the store one that sells some type of plant or animal?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Was Donald actually murdered? (Murder being an unlawful death on purpose, accidents, suicides and other things I can't think of need not apply)

Yes.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

Was the store one that sells some type of plant or animal?

Define what you mean by "plant or animal."

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Was Donald murdered by a Client (past or present)?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Was Donald murdered by a Client (past or present)?

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Were there witnesses to the crime?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Were there witnesses to the crime? 

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

was the murder premeditated?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

was the murder premeditated?

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was the murderer an employee (or owner) of the store?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murderer an employee (or owner) of the store?

Yes.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok: theory number one.

Donald is at a pet store. He gets mad for whatever reason, and threatens to sue/shut down the store. The clerk on duty, angered or what have you, has one of the animals attack him and kill him. The animal is cleaned, put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Ok: theory number one.Donald is at a pet store. He gets mad for whatever reason, and threatens to sue/shut down the store. The clerk on duty, angered or what have you, has one of the animals attack him and kill him. The animal is cleaned, put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Were any aspects of that theory correct? (the setting, the method, the perpetrator)

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

McBehrer wrote:
Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past. Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.

Yes.

This question and answer is really bugging me, not because I asnwered it wrong, but because it might be a bit misleading. Let me reword the question and answer like this:

At the time of the murder, did the murder weapon belong to the animal, plant or fungus kindgom (as opposed to a rock or the like)? Yes.

I am not saying any more than that.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Was he killed in such a way as to leave an externally visible mark?

Followup question: if yes, was the mark left as an indicator of damage (a gash, bruise, etc. as opposed to a rash or discoloration)

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Were any aspects of that theory correct? (the setting, the method, the perpetrator)

That is part of problem of longer answers and being limited to only a few answers. You know that it was an employee or owner, but that isn't the entire "who" aspect. 

McbBehrer wrote:

put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.

This part is correct.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Was he killed in such a way as to leave an externally visible mark?Followup question: if yes, was the mark left as an indicator of damage (a gash, bruise, etc. as opposed to a rash or discoloration)

Yes.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, then. Expounding on the perpetrator.

Was he (ignoring gender differentiation. I assume that's not relevant, for now.) a janitor?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Ok, then. Expounding on the perpetrator.Was he (ignoring gender differentiation. I assume that's not relevant, for now.) a janitor?

No.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

When you say animal kingdom, do you mean human?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Humble-Knight wrote:

When you say animal kingdom, do you mean human?

No.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

phrased more concisely, was the "murder weapon" a non-human animal?

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

phrased more concisely, was the "murder weapon" a non-human animal?

Define what you mean by "animal"?

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

member of the animal kingdom. other than human.

-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

member of the animal kingdom. other than human.

Yes and no. (Technically, the murder weapon is from the animal kingdom, but I think it might be a little misleading.)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Is the victim married?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nielzabub wrote:

Is the victim married?

Irrelevant.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Is the fact he is a lawyer important?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Humble-Knight wrote:

Is the fact he is a lawyer important?

Yes.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Is he a lawyer for the murderer?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Is his murderer a colleague or a lawyer he is competing with?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Humble-Knight wrote:

Is he a lawyer for the murderer?

Define "lawyer for".

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nielzabub wrote:

Is his murderer a colleague or a lawyer he is competing with?

No.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Is he representing the murderer in a law suit or legal predicament?

If not, has he in the past?

Pages