The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Opening the box thoughts

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
IKerensky
Opening the box thoughts

Just received the box and my global impression is rather mixed.

Manual and counters looks good, plenty of space to store the cards.

I have serious concern about the cards. 

1- There is a lot of wasted space with extra large border wich make the image looks tiny, meaning the cards will be harder to recognize.

2- The font used is VERY unsatisfying : it is far too thin and small to be easily readable from about a foot away, definitely not from across the table. The narrow font tends to blur with the card background. And given the large empty space on the cards you could have used a police at least 2pts bigger.

3- First card I look, first line and I find a typo :"Accelerated Deilvery", that dont make for a good first impression.

The minis are nice but look very fragile and the dragon is disapointing compared to what was posted during the KS campaign. I think I will use the tokens, they are more distinguishable.

The expansion is a big box for very small content. Doesnt really justify the cost of the heavy cardboard box, could have been sold in a plastic wrapper.

I will try a game tonight to see if things get better playing it as that is the most important thing, but this is a uphill battle due to thoses box opening concern.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

ok, let's see

1 and 2 are valid enough, I suppose. More a matter of personal taste, really -- not an objective FLAW, per se -- but opinions are still good to have.

3, you found ONE TYPO. The fact that it HAPPENED to be on the FIRST CARD YOU LOOKED AT was completely coincidental. There are typos in SOTM, too. Remember the Checmical explosion? Even with the playtesters revising, it's easy to miss something like that. It happens.

4.) (since you stopped numbering them) the minis are nigh-on indestructible. They posted a video on the kickstarter of him TRYING to break one, and he couldn't. I'll admit, Nyotan is a little derpy looking, but they are all perfectly distinguishable.

5.) The expansion is designed to fit into the bigger box and be used to hold stuff, like a divider. I use it to hold my minis. And boxes SELL better than plastic wrap. I don't see why they would want to go that route. It's just poor presentation.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

All of his points are valid, because they're a description of his subjective experience of opening the box.  I'm not sure trying to tell him he's wrong is going to help with that.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

McBehrer wrote:

3, you found ONE TYPO. The fact that it HAPPENED to be on the FIRST CARD YOU LOOKED AT was completely coincidental. There are typos in SOTM, too. Remember the Checmical explosion? Even with the playtesters revising, it's easy to miss something like that. It happens.

Ok, lets see.

1. It's hard to pick up your voice here, but using caps in that way makes this read very condescending.

2. OP is just pointing out there are typos. If your intent was to comment that typos arn't that big of a deal, there is a thread specifically on GSF typos where that opinion might have been better voiced.

3. Yes, opinions are "good to have". They are even better when you arn't told they are meaningless.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I gotta say...I'm quite surprised by the number of typos already found. It's a bit of a disappointment. I'm hoping the gameplay is just as awesome if not more so than playtesting.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

IKerensky

Ok,

after one play there is my feelings : game is good, very good, sentinel's good.

As I feared tiny cards text make things a bit hard on my back as I have to repetedly move over the opposing ships and station cards to read them. Unexpectedly Defense symboles are hard to see on the Red card textbox for my colorblind eyes... Are they blue or Purple ? I had to close check once or twice.

Rules are well written and the manual is gorgeous.

Each of the different ship have a lot of personnality.

I used tokens and it worked very well, as I wont paint the minis I probably wont use them.

About the expansion box I have no space to put it in the main boxes because of the mini box, and I wont use it to store things as Sector cards are hard to get away from it.

There is still question bout the rules... Wich is logical in a card game. When a card tell me to recycle a station card does that mean recycle it into my ship deck ?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Recycle is always to the bottom of your deck.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I never meant to imply that his opinions were meaningless; in fact, some of them (the minis looking fragile) were speculations, and I was simply assuring him that they weren't an issue, or presenting a counter-opinion in the case of the expansion box.

Also, I have a tendency to capitalize words that I would emphasize, were I to speak them out loud. It's not necessary, perhaps, but I like to try and convey my tone of voice as directly as I can. Obviously I didn't do that great of a job of it this time, but that was the intent.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad to hear the game went well, overall, IKerensky. I have to agree with you on the card fonts and such - they are harder to read than most card games.

And thank you all for being awesomely civil and polite, even when there are misunderstandings. You make our job so much easier. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

panzersonor
panzersonor's picture

Looking forward to cracking this game open.  Looks very cool; love the cooperative idea and looks like a pretty interesting concept.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Have fun! Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Definitely strategize with your allies.  Adds to the fun and your odds of success!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett