The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Radio Play

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Katsue wrote:

To my non-British, non-Canadian, non-American ear, Canadians sound a lot more like Americans than they sound like Brits.

I'm not sure why you mention that, but I think most British, Canadian, and USAians would agree.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I can't tell the difference between a Canadian accent and an American one. They pretty much all sound the same to me ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

You should let a Canadian tell you aboot their proh-gress on their proh-jects, and you'd be able to tell the difference.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Spiff wrote:

You should let a Canadian tell you aboot their proh-gress on their proh-jects, and you'd be able to tell the difference.

Is this a pro- (rhymes with "snow") -gress thing? As opposed to pro- (rhymes with "hot" minus the T) -gress?

Us Brits go for the "snow" option.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Canadians have a tendency to really say it like an a, like Pragress. In fact, most "American" accents I've heard Brits try to do sound more like Canadian ones.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Writing consultant job -- the "Americanism" is "takeout" rather than "takeaway." If we're putting Dana from the British Isles, that isn't an issue. I concur with a comment farther down that a traditional radio play doesn't do quite so much in the way of physical description.

Radio Drama Revival has a great link called "So you wanna create a radio drama" here.  They've also got lots of short radio plays, and the BBC has a weekly one, too. (Listen to the first episode of Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" if you can.)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

@Pydro

I have a mobile ProTools rig at my house. So as far as audio editing/producing/mastering, I can do that. Produced a few radio detective shows in college in the vein of old Stan Freeburg skits (his history of America vol.1&2 are hillarious and a major inspiration for how radio skits should be executed) and majored in media production, so this stuff is up my ally.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It would be great if you can help, but it is not fair to you to do all of the work. Is there a way to split it up?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Pydro wrote:

It would be great if you can help, but it is not fair to you to do all of the work. Is there a way to split it up?

It may not be all that terrible. Plus if you want consistency with how everythings sounds (you know from episode to episode) then it makes more sense to do it in one place. At the very least it needs to all be mastered together at once.

How do you anticipate this happening? In pieces? Do the entire arc at once and split it up into episodes later?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The arc was written as 5 separate episodes. While not edited yet, I can send them to you, and maybe you can say the best way to approach this.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ok, let's see if we can get this thing moving. I have already sent a PM to the writing consultants, but we need to start thinking about casting. What would be the best appoarch here? Right now, we just need the actors in the sample scene, but what would be the best way to cast them?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Pydro wrote:

what would be the best way to cast them?

I tend to find doing things by montage makes for a quick and easy process.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Pydro wrote:
what would be the best way to cast them?

I tend to find doing things by montage makes for a quick and easy process.

I was considering that, but I don't have enough Ronway Bombs for the special effects.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Pydro wrote:

Ok, let's see if we can get this thing moving. I have already sent a PM to the writing consultants, but we need to start thinking about casting. What would be the best appoarch here? Right now, we just need the actors in the sample scene, but what would be the best way to cast them?

What about utilizing Google+?  Do we know who should be the casting director(s)?  How involved does >G want to be with this process?

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have looked over jffdougan's links, and I put the sample scene in a more standard format. Although, I haven't done anything with the music yet.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I can;t believe I just saw this.

Reckless wrote:

Do we know who should be the casting director(s)?

Nope.

Reckless wrote:

How involved does >G want to be with this process?

I have asked them that, and at the very least they want to approve the final script. Other than that, it is up to us.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Haven't looke over the whole thing, but I think line number 8, Dana's dialogue, needs to say, "Could you please," Instead of "Could please you".

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

bobballvo
bobballvo's picture

@Foote

I'm not sure what sound effects libraries you have access to, but this one just came out and it looks right up the alley for this project.

http://www.blastwavefx.com/p566/Heroes%20&%20Villains/product_info.html

Bob Ball
Voice actor BobBallVO.com
host of quiz show PopQuizzical
& on improv show Word Rango

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

bobballvo wrote:

@FooteI'm not sure what sound effects libraries you have access to, but this one just came out and it looks right up the alley for this project.http://www.blastwavefx.com/p566/Heroes%20&%20Villains/product_info.html

Thanks very much! I will be sure to check this out

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Status on this? I have access to a very high-end recording studio, and I may be able to find someone to do some VO. I know one lady in particular who would LOVE to give her voice to this project.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Things are still happening. Foote and Pydro are currently the main people discussing production and edition. You should probably send a PM to Pydro if you want to know the status or want to be more directly involved with the project.

Julia
Playtester

This sounds like such a hilarious project. I do NOT know how I managed to miss this thread so far, but it probably has something to do with never having checked out the Fan Fiction forum before.

Anyway, if this happens, I wanna help (if I can in any way- I have a BA in Theatre and an MA in Writing and a freakishly deep voice).

Semper ludens.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

If you want to be involved with the writing, you can just PM me and I can show you what Meerkat and I have written so far.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

If we have some organization as far as voice actors and recording equipment, couldn't we just ask Greater Than Games if we have permission to perform the Freedom Four Annual with sound effects and full voice-over?

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Hey everybody, so the radio play project has more or less died, and that makes me sad. I would like to try and get this thing going again. Reckless and I talked a bit about adapting the Freedom Four annual as a way to start off the Radio Play project. Christopher said it was okay. I have finished a rough draft for the script, but am editing it to try and make it closer to Radio Play format.

So the characters for this are: Baron Blade, Legacy, Bunker, General Armstrong, Tachyon, Wraith, and a Narrator. We'll need someone to edit, and put in sound effects and music. I don't know who all Pydro talked to about that. If anyone could and was willing to, we could also maybe to make a video that synchs up the audio with the visual panels of the comic. Doing this of course would reduce the part of the Narrator.

As for voice actors and auditions, 'm not going to worry about that too much until I've finished adapting the script. There are two ways we could do that. People on their own make recordings of the parts they want to play, or we could have auditions over Google plus. We'd probably have to use Google plus to see how two people sound together. As for the casting process itself, we will either need a casting director, or make a panel of about 3 people to make the final decision.

These are just some base thoughts I've been having about this. Like I said, I'd just kind of like to try and get the ball rolling on this again.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My guess is that the best sound quality will come from each person recording themself individually and then someone mixing the actors together. That also suggests no need to audition people together.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

So here's what I have so far as a radio adaptation for the Freedom Four annual. The only real change is that I've added a Narrator to try and help frame the sequences together. I based the format off of what Pydro posted with the Tachyon scene earlier in the thread. If people like it and are still interested in working on the project, we might be able to get things moving.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Like it!

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Me too! Great job!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

If no one has any objections to the script, all we really need now is someone to edit and put together the audio. Once that's established, we can probably start doing voice auditions.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Very cool. I don't have any editing software, unfortunately.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

So we can probably start auditioning for parts soon. I'll have to go through the script and decide which parts are the best audition material. I should be able to get that up here within a week or so. Hopefully, everyone who was interested in this project is still following this thread. I'll probably try to send a message to all those who signed up for voice acting just to be safe.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I create a spreadsheet to make signing up easier. Just put your name under any role you are interested in.

Auditions

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Okay, so here are the lines from the script that you guys can use to audition for parts. So this is the idea I have on how to do this. You guys record the lines yourselves and then send your takes to me at You can of course audition for multiple characters, but have a seperate audio file for different characters. If you want to send multiple interpretations of a particular line or monologue, then that's fine two, but try to send no more then 2 or 3 takes of the same thing. If you want to, you can also record 2 or 3 pieces of flavor text from the cards that you like. Flavor text reads should be in their own file and please let me know which card they come from.

One of the first things that you'll probably notice is that there isn't much audition material for the Wraith. Wraith has some very good lines in the Freedom Annual, but she doesn't have any paragraph long monologues like the other characters do. I asked the talented Meerkat to write up some additional audition material for the Wraith. There isn't currently a deadline for audition submissions. I'll probably put a deadline on it when more people have signed up on Pydro's sheet and when Meerkat finishes with the Wraith material.

Edit: Audition material for the Wraith is now up.

Citizen Jodie
Citizen Jodie's picture
Admin

Excited about this!  I edit audio in my free time, though I've never done a project like this.  What I'm trying to say is, if you want help there, get in touch.  Also, I'd be willing to voice a character.  I am probably capable of voiceing a male character or a female character.

Oh, I also have a good quality mic someone could use to record, if they could get to St. Louis to do it. 

Also, I should note, I work for Greater Than Games, but that itself is not a reason to include me or give me preferential treatment, so please don't.

Jodie :-)
Warehouse Manager
jodie@greaterthangames.com

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

scene:line

1:3 Legacy Beating up Blade Battalion

1:10 Wall being smashed

3:2 super speed 

3:7 super speed

3:14 superspeed

5:2 superspeed

6:1 rain

6:3 lightning

6:8 fighting

6:22 knife cutting flesh

6:28 stun bolt

6:31 kick

6:32 electricity

6:38 explosion

6:45 energy blast

6:46 explosion

6:48 super speed

6:57 splashing water

OK, so I went throught the AWESOME script and copied down all of the soudn effects. If some people want to start searching for these sounds, or even trying to create them, that would be awesome. Some sounds are used more than once (e.g. super speed), and it might be a good idea to have more than one sound for those effects.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Citizen Jodie wrote:

I edit audio in my free time, though I've never done a project like this.

That's awesome. With Foote, we now have two people that can do the really hard part. smiley

Right now we have six people for seven roles, and some of them said they can do two! I am thinking give this a little more time for people to sign up, but let's get started soon.

mori57
Playtester

Can I just say right now that "Andy Arenson" even sounds super-hero appropriate? :)

mori57
Playtester

Just out of curiosity, is the aim of the Radio Play to be in the same sound as the old (20's, 30's) radio dramas, or are we thinking more modern sound effects?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

mori57 wrote:

Can I just say right now that "Andy Arenson" even sounds super-hero appropriate? :)

Thanks?!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Think I might sign up for a voice part, but I'm super busy over the next five days or so. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Also I can't edit the spreadsheet on my iPad, could someone add me please? I'm happy to do whatever, as long as a British accent isn't a problem. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Also I can't edit the spreadsheet on my iPad, could someone add me please? I'm happy to do whatever, as long as a British accent isn't a problem. 

I figure if people have a problem with accents, then there is a problem with people.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Accents don't matter. No reason Tachy (or any other character) can't have a British accent.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

While we have a great script, we could always add a few commercials. So if anyone has any ideas for those, that would be great.

One idea might be Unity selling mini robot kits for kids.

These can also add a few mini parts if people don't want to do a bigger one.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Well if the characters are supposed to be from American places, a British accent might be a bit weird. But hey, I'm good with whatever the directors think. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

While we have a great script, we could always add a few commercials. So if anyone has any ideas for those, that would be great.

One idea might be Unity selling mini robot kits for kids.

These can also add a few mini parts if people don't want to do a bigger one.

How about Omnibot home robot kits? (From Aldred Industries, of course. wink)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Wow! This thread grew overnight. For me it was literally overnight since I live in Japan, and it's morning now. Anyway, glad to see interest picking up. I was a little worried there for a bit. I can't view the spreadsheet while I'm at work, and so it'll be a while before I can see who's signed up for what. Silverleaf, at this point the only character I would absolutely oppose having a non American accent is Legacy. I think it would be preferable if Bunker and General Armstrong were also Americans, but people with accents in the American millitary is completely plausible. I agree with Pydro that there is no reason that Wraith or Tachyon can't have a British accent.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

mori57 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is the aim of the Radio Play to be in the same sound as the old (20's, 30's) radio dramas, or are we thinking more modern sound effects?

This seems like a creative decisions, and since I lack any creativity I will let Nielzabub answer this.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

mori57 wrote:

This seems like a creative decisions, and since I lack any creativity I will let Nielzabub answer this.

This story and Sentinels in general doesn't really have a 20's or 30's feel to it, with the exception of maybe the Narrator, and so I'm inclined to go with modern sound effects. It is an intriguing idea though and probably something worth considering. Where exactly would one find a 20's or 30's radio play to listen to?

Pages