The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Micro fan fiction: "Conversations" Come in and contribute!

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flintlock
Flintlock's picture
Micro fan fiction: "Conversations" Come in and contribute!

I just thought it could be fun if we had a low comittment fan fiction topic, just for fun. The general theme of this fiction thread is quiet interaction between heroes rather than larger action sequences so common to the supehero genre. I figured this can keep the entries short, punch and generally easy to write without worrying too much about building a larger arc.

With that, let's get started. :)  I'll put my first contribution in the next post.

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

Heroes: Mr. Fixer & Unity - "Ain't Broke"

"No," Mr. Fixer said flatly.

"But c'mon. You know I could do it to. It'd be so easy for me!" Unity said with a whine.

"No". The same response. The same flat tone. 

Unity blew a stray piece of hair out of her face and crossed her arms with a huff. Sullenly, she leaned against the wall of the garage and turned her head out to face the morning sun. Mr. Fixer continued working on an engine block of an old Ford Mustang, his head down and hands busy under the raised hood of the car. She didn't know why she was being forced to just stand around and be bored to tears like this. At least it was a warm summers day.

"It would be so easy to turn any one of these cars into a robot. It'd be awesome!" Unity threw out imploring, excited hands towards Mr. Fixer, as if she could impress upon a blind man of her point if she could but gesture hard enough.  "I could probably improve the fuel efficiency if you give me a couple minutes! Oh! Maybe I could make it transform back and forth too. It would be totally adorbs! And weapons! I could give it a brand new..."

"No."

Unity frowned with much vigor.

Mr. Fixer absently wiped some grease from his palms with a nearby rag. "Young lady, why do you think I asked you to visit my garage?"

"To help with the workload?" Unity offered.

"Child, I have being handling this garage just fine for years before you were born. I asked you here to teach you something."

"Oh! Kung-fu!" Unity quickly chopped the air in front of her.

"No." Mr. Fixer gestured for Unity to come closer and, with a calmness that belied his blindess, guided her hand to the engine block. "What is this?"

Unity was a little confused. "Um...it's an engine block."

Mr. Fixer shook his head. Gently he said, "Close your eyes. You already have the power to look deeper here. This was a car from nearby where we last clashed with Citizen Dawn. Now...tell me again what this is."

Unity furrowed her brow but closed her eyes despite herself. Through her palm, through her glove, she felt the metal and frame of the parts. The heft of pistons and pipes and...teeth marks. Teeth marks that were identical to that of her raptor bots. A bite that only Mr. Chomps could have made. She realized what had happened and guilt crept up on her like a swarm of bee bots. "Oh...it's my handiwork."

"Exactly. And you will fix it. The old fashioned way," Mr. Fixer handed her a wrench and walked off to grab another cigar.

Unity frowned one last time, but smiled when she heard Mr. Fixer add, "And...maybe a Kung-fu lesson later if you are good."

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

HanaxBanana

That was a cute story! Maybe I'll take a stab at writing a little blurb. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh man I had totally forgotten about this thread.

I started this one when I first read this thread, but by the time I got around to finishing it I couldn't remember why I started writing it.

Anywhere, here it is:

Keep your friends close.

Expat scouts the Freedom 5.

Amanda Cohen was bored.  As bored as she had been in years.  This whole team thing wasn’t really her style, but Legacy was right, they needed her, The Ennead were no joke.

“Your problem is you care too much.” she said to herself.

Lt. Starchy, or whatever his name was continued his tactical briefing, she knew it all, she had read the report, it was well done, but now he just kept talking.  

She had seen the suit, it was impressive.  That kind of armor could absorb a lot of firepower, and the weapons layout was no less powerful.  But aiming with computer assisted gyro balancing crap?  That wasn’t going to get you anywhere.  You'd just have to keep your movements from being predicted and find the right part of the suit to shoot.

“Hmm. . . “ she quietly thought out loud, “open big, rocket to the upper chest, then some smoke and flash for the sensors, then right under for the access panels, some plastic or a knife if you want the suit.  Although. . . some scramblers might be real useful, depending on the suits magnetic protection.”

Satisfied with that evaluation and making a mental note to get some scramblers Amanda let her gaze move to the next person.

“Ryan Frost, AKA Absolute Zero.  The obvious route was incendiary ammo, but the obvious route is how you die.  She’d need to get some numbers on the power drain of that suit, you want to hit him while it’s low.  Maybe overwork it, switch up cryo and incendiary, or get something that would stick to the suit.  Napalm could work, get him burning and overwork the suit, then just keep him busy till things went bad.”

“Speaking of Napalm,” Amanda looked to the man in white standing so tall in the front, “I wonder how he’d react to it.  I don’t care how tough his skin is, Napalm would have to have some effect.  After that get him coming at you.  Invulnerable and mad meant predictable.  She could probably get him to take himself out at that point, she’d need to go light and be able to mix up fire and kinetics.  He’d be hard, and dangerous.  Probably be better off taking out his team mates and letting him stew about it.”

“Next up,” she said quietly as she shifted her gaze to Dr. Meredith Stinson, Tachyon.  The easy way would be to go after the wife, but that was cheap and distasteful, amateur stuff, and a damn good way to make more enemies than you can dodge.  Tachyon was tricky, she’d seen the woman’s training program, seen her weave around bullets.  “Need to set her up, get her to come to my shot.  Shotgun would be nice, but too bulky, you’d never get her lined up.  Flash Bangs wouldn’t blind her with those fancy goggles she wore, but throwing off her balance a bit could be helpful.  Best bet would probably be dual subs, get enough bullets on her at once and she might not dodge one.  Mostly she’d need to get the jump on her in tight quarters, in the open Tachyon would just outrun her ability to strafe.  “Catch her off-guard, probably in the break room, quick flash-bangs and dual subs.”  She still didn’t like the odds, but it would do.

Lt. Starchy was still talking, it was unbelievable.  Thorough was one thing, but did he really have to babysit this team through a tac briefing?  “Maybe they really do need me,” Amanda muttered.

Lastly there was The Wraith, Maia Montgomery, Amanda looked to see the Wraith’s empty chair. . .  she looked back across the room, They were still talking, and Amanda hadn’t been so distracted that she would have missed someone leaving the room.

“Hello there.”

Amanda nearly jumped out of her chair.  @$## how had she gotten right freaking behind her?

“Sorry if I startled you,” Maia whispered, “I couldn’t help but notice you were scouting the team.”

“Yeah, sorry” Amanda choked out, “old habits.”

“Hey don’t fret it, do it myself all the time.” Maia replied.  “So how’d you get Stinson?”

mori57
Playtester

Trying my hand at this.

Reflections

He stands in the hallway, observing.

He was used to being in the thick of action and taking decisive steps to thwart evil, but at the moment, Paul Parsons' demeanor was pensive and uncertain.

Was he doing the right thing, training his daughter as his father had done before him, a family tradition dedicated to the preservation of freedom and liberty wherever injustice and fear reared its ugly head? It seemed to be a natural thing, and she was certainly well equipped for the weights that would come with the cape.

Yet, the things he had seen, the things that the Visionary had spoken of sent a cold chill down his spine.

He never wanted to leave her alone. He never wanted to give Blade the chance to do the unthinkable.

Was it his place to choose? She'd be of age to make her own decisions, and soon.

So pondering, he stands in the hallway, watching her as she studies in the den, golden sunlight from the windows there making her long hair sparkle.

She stops, and turns her youthful, exuberant smile on her observer, "Hey dad, everything ok?"

"Sure," he replies, summoning a smile that only she can prompt, ever since he first saw her blink her eyes in the delivery room. He pauses, then continues, "Just have a lot of thoughts on my mind, about the future."

Pauline, still smiling, laughs, "Love you, too, Dad, but staring at me is making it hard for me to study my physics, and you know how Meredith gets when I don't ace those exams."

Paul nods, smiles, "We can't have that, can we?" and reluctantly heads for the kitchen. 

Focus on the now. The future will just have to wait.

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Here's my take on things. I hope it's well received.

The Speed of Sound

The cooling metal tinked slightly as the night winds brushed against it. The sun, once a white hot orb in the sky, had sunk below the horizon half an hour ago and the desert was quickly becoming comfortable.

Perched on what remained of the now charred wagon on Main Street, Anthony Drake idly strummed the strings of the old banjo he’d picked up from the floor. He winced and adjusted them slightly, smiling as a second strum produced a more friendly noise. 

‘Hi.’ A voice from the air said, followed a second later by a soft breeze. ‘Whatcha doing?’ The same voice, coming from a different direction.

Drake sighed, giving the strings one final strum.

‘What does it look like, Meredith? I’m tuning a banjo.’

‘Oh.’ The breeze brushed past again and he closed his eyes, his fingers dancing on the strings. A lambent green glow began to surround him, the colour pulsing in time to the notes.

A few heads appeared at various windows, curiousity at watching the red haired stranger make such beautiful music from Ole Flaningan’s strangled cat outweighing their fear.

He played on, oblivious to the attention. The glow began to expand and then, abruptly, disappeared.

‘Meredith. If you’re going to stand that close to me, at least wear something classy and be asking me to dance.’ Drake said, his eyes closed and his lips barely moving.

‘Oh. Sorry. Didn’t mean to.  Better? I’m just so bored. Bored, bored, bored, BORED.’ The woman in the white tracksuit flopped to the ground dramatically. ‘There’s nothing to do. The tech is non-existent, I’ve run around the place so many times I’ve lost count, Maia asked me to check the ridge and I did. Twice. I just want to do something fun.’ A blur and she stood in front of him. ‘Play something fun. A scherzo or something. Please?’ She cocked her head. ‘Plllllllllllllease, Anthony.’

He opened his eyes and sighed. ‘Fine. I’ll give you something to do.’ He placed the banjo on the floor and then pulled a pair of silver pipes out of the air.

The notes danced in the still night, flashes of green light dancing around Drake as he played.

He lifted his lips from the pipes and grinned.

‘Fetch.’ The next note caused the air around him to ripple and then the nearest cactus burst into fire, sparks flying into the air, carried by the breeze.

There was a laugh, a blur, a breeze and then the cactus was extinguished. Drake’s grin widened and he continued playing, igniting more cacti.

‘Are you going to do this all night?’ The deep voice of Paul Parsons asked from behind him. He shrugged.

‘There’s a lot of cacti out there. It keeps her busy. And we might be here for a very long time.’

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Comrade Bubbles

Sorry about the double post. Any feedback is welcome.

Preparations

‘You want me to do what?’ Ryan Frost glared at the red-haired bartender. ‘This is my home. Not your own personal cold storage.’ His voice was bitter, accusatory.

‘It wasn’t my idea. Pauline wants an ice sculpture there and she thought it would give you something to do while you’re waiting for a new television.’ Anthony Drake, zipped in a big winter coat as he was, shivered in the sub-zero room. ‘Please? It would mean a lot to her. And you do owe him your life. Several times over.’

‘Look around you, Drake. It’s not like I have that much room in here to begin with. Casa del Frost is tiny. But it’s mine. And I don’t care what plans she has for her father’s birthday, you are NOT making me share my living space, the only place I can be out of that damned suit, with a chunk of ice, let alone carve it. I don’t need reminding of my situation every time I turn around.’

Drake nodded and turned to leave.

‘I’ll let her know that’s how you feel. But she’ll probably get Pete to ask you as well.’ He stepped into the airlock and kept his back to Frost, missing the panicked look that flitted over the older man’s features.

Frost glanced at the large picture of his fiancée, grimacing at the memory of what had happened to it the last time the bumbling, yellow-suited idiot had come into his cryo-chamber.

--/--

‘I am still not sure that this is the best use of my...gifts.’ The woman known to her friends as Helena said as she flew near the ceiling of the large hall. Her wingtips brushed a chandelier as she hovered, affixing decorations to the ceiling itself.

‘Pardon?’ A deep voice asked from below. She glanced down, her normally solemn face struggling to hide smile arising from the infectious smile that was always on Aata Wakarewarewa’s lips.

‘God gave me these wings for a reason, no matter what that Deceiver says, and I am putting them to use to hang decorations.’

The big man merely shrugged, regarding his own handiwork critically.

‘Is this bunting too much? The kids wanted to help but got a bit carried away.’ He opened his arms, his large hands holding the ends of the lantern-shaped bunting delicately.

Helena lowered herself gently to the floor, the breeze from her wings sending ripples along a nearby drape. She walked over to her companion.

‘It will do. Pauline was not very specific with her instructions, so I do not suppose that it really matters.’ She gave up fighting the smile, remembering her recent vow to seek redemption for everyone, including herself.

Aata grunted and nodded his agreement, putting the bunting aside to begin work on assembling another strand.

‘You should come and visit the kids at some point.’ He said conversationally as his fingers danced around with surprising dexterity. ‘I’m sure they’d love you.’ He looked up. ‘They certainly won’t judge you.’

Helena regarded him for a long moment before nodding.

‘Perhaps. It would be nice to be distracted from my thoughts for once.’ She paused, ‘From my doubts.’ She added quietly, immediately wondering what it was about the big Maori that prompted people to expose their darkest thoughts to him.

--/--

Pauline Felicia Parsons’ apron was doing an admirable job of keeping her clothes clean. Somewhere under all of the dough, she knew, it read ‘Feed the Hero’. But for the moment she was too concerned with the bowl of cake mix in front her.

‘Cake tin.’ She ordered, her voice bubbling with an undercurrent of laughter. There was a repetitive clanking noise and a small man, barely six inches tall, crossed the work-surface towards her, the tin held above his head.

The tiny robot, his eyes glowing pink, came to a stop in front of her and proffered the cake tin. She took it, laughing out loud at the tiny face, it was a perfect replica of her father’s.  She began to spoon the dough into the tin.

‘I could make something to do that for, you know?’ Devra Caspit said from her position on the edge of the table.

‘I know. But it’s my Dad’s birthday and I promised Mom I would make the cake by myself.’

‘Oh. In that case....’ Devra’s voice trailed off and the little metal Legacy shivered and twisted, the fragments of recycling that comprised it re-arranging themselves to form a metal replica of Pauline herself. ‘Is that better?’

‘It was fine as it was.’ Pauline said, turning around to look at her friend. Devra Caspit sat on the table, her fingers idly scratching the head of the little metal dinosaur she seemed to take everywhere. ‘And he is adorable. Whatever the Five say.’

Devra laughed.

‘You hear that, Mr Chomps? Who’s an adorable dinosaur? You are. Yes, you are.’

Pauline looked around the kitchen, noticing it looked like an edible bomb had exploded in it.

‘Could you make something to help me clean up while we wait for the party?’

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Just want to say that I enjoyed everything that everyone posted here.  You're all very talented!

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Estelindis wrote:

Just want to say that I enjoyed everything that everyone posted here.  You're all very talented!

I agree!

Also, would anyone be opposed of their fanfic getting fanart? It's just a thought I have right now, but I wanted to run it by yall first. 

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

Comrade Bubbles

I'm fine with it. It'll probably end up as desktop wallpaper....

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

The Price of a Smile"

"You do not smile enough."

Helena looked up at the large, somewhat immodetly dressed, man with a miled glare. "I do not require a lecture from you."

The large man chuckled. "That is what I mean. You are not happy when you fight. You are not happy when you rest. You are not even happy when you eat. You must smile more."

"The position of my mouth does not affect my ability to defeat evil," Helena retorted. She tried to turn her full attention to her sword, though of course the broken blade needed no attention despite its current form.

"That is very not true," the muscular man said in a light tone. "I have lived many lifetimes, and I know what is true. You cannot win if you cannot smile."

"I have won many battles," Helena said dismissively, "and vanquished many evils."

"Have you?" the large man asked. "Do you remember all the battles that you have won?"

"Every last one," Henela replied instantly with confidence. The face of the deceiver flashed in her mind, and she shuddered a bit. But it did not take anything from her passion. "I have never forgetten any of them!"

The big man walked around so that he was centered with Helena's position. "Then you have not won. these battles haunt you, and you obsess over them. What could you ahve done differently? Better?"

Helena glared more fiercely this time at the man whose smile would not fade. "What is wrong with that? I am an agent of the Lord. I must strive for perfection!"

The man in red and yellow spandex nodded with a big smile. "Yes! Perfection. That is why you are known as Fanatic. And perfection is good. Perfection requires you to smile."

Helena huffed. "I think that you and I shall agree to disagree on that."

He shook his head. "No, we must not disagree. You are called by a good god to protect the weak and the innocent. It is a noble calling. They must be able to see that such a service makes you happy!"

Helena could not believe how incredulous or audacious this man was being. "You think that I should smile whenever I smite down a foe? That would cause a little girl watching me to fear me, rather than admire me."

The large man from New Zealand put a hand on her shoulder. She intentionally did not react, but she listened to him anyway. "You worry about this little girl that may see you? She must be made to see good, yes?"

Helena nodded, but she did not look at him.

"Good is making good grow," he insisted. "How do you feel when this little girl cries? How do you feel when she smiles? It affects you, does it not? Makes you stronger, or weaker."

Helena thought about it.

"You do not smile enough," Haka said again.

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Very cool! The more I hear about him, the more I think that Haka would be one of my favorite characters in Sentinel comic books. 

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Great story!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I love the story, but I thought Haka was from New Zealand, not Hawaii...

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sejixs wrote:

I love the story, but I thought Haka was from New Zealand, not Hawaii...

You are correct - he is Maori.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

Ouch. I need a good Haka Ashamed meme. :)

Edited the story to fix it. Thanks for the catch everyone!

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

Comrade Bubbles

I know the OP states this is for heroes, but would anyone mind reading about villains during their downtime? I've had a few ideas bouncing around.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Sure, stories about villains would be neat. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I like villains.

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

I imagine friction being a really annoying person with a one track mind. And the V5 on their off time try to avoid her

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Firstly, these are all great! :D

But I'm quite sad that no one has written anything with Setback. He seems like he'd be such a lovable, well-meaning clutz! Or how about some sort of awkward interactions between Tempest and Sky-Scrapper? There's got to be something worth writing there!

I'll see if I can come up with anything, but I can assure you that you guys could come up with something WAY better then I would. :P

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

I'd suggest you check out https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/date-night-6754. It's pretty great. =)

green knight

Phantom5613 wrote:

how about some sort of awkward interactions between Tempest and Sky-Scrapper?:P

Okay I'll do it.

Haha you're toast heroebrine. :green Goomba Luigi royal guardian:mine craft impact of the heroebrine
go picachu. :Element:sonicmon
Thanks for the Cupid's bow element o sonic. :Amy:the untold stories of sonic the hedgehog:Amy's Valentine's day trap

liarliar
liarliar's picture

A small scene with Tempest and Sky-Scraper, then!

Catharsis

Tempest was grabbing a small lunch in the canteen, and glanced around the room to see who else was there. There were a couple of staff, whose names he didn’t know, a couple of heroes he liked well enough…and then he saw her. Ugh. He put his head down, made it to a table, and tried to eat without drawing attention.
He’d been there less than a minute when a purple figure sat down straight across from him. He glanced up at her face, nodded very slightly to give the impression of politeness, and looked back down at his food.
She didn’t leave.
“Friend Tempest,” said Sky-Scraper, “why do you unlike me?”
“Dislike,” he replied, before he could stop himself. “And I don’t. You’re…a perfectly good hero.”
“You are nice to say that. But you do not like me, and I do not know why it is.”
“I…” He trailed off, fork in the air, while wondering how honest he should be. “It’s not you I dislike, it’s your people.”
“My people?”
“The Thorathians. Voss and his armies destroyed my world, he took my people and twisted them into mindless monsters to join his armies, he–“
“But this is my battle also! I am having been part of Resistance in Dok Thorath! You are ally!”
He sighed. “I know that. Honestly. But Voss isn’t alone in his evil, he’s backed by so many other Thorathians, and…when I see you, I see them. I know it’s not fair, or reasonable, but that is how it is.”
She nodded solemnly. “I see it. When you look at me, you see people who have hurt you. I will think on it.”
He assumed that would be the end of it, but she stayed sitting there. He mentally shrugged, and went back to eating, and was then completely unprepared when she shouted “I have got it!”
He coughed around a little bit of mashed potato, swallowed it down, and said “Got what?”
“You must fight me!”
“I…what?”
She wasn’t listening. Instead, she was using her powers – shrinking down to become about the size of an action figure, and climbing up onto the table. “You shall fight me!”
“What? No! This is silly!”
“You unlike seeing Thorathians, yes? We fought you? Then fight me!” She put on a sinister scowl, which looked more than a little ridiculous on her tiny face. “Cower before might of Thorathian fleet!”
He rolled his eyes a little, but played along: he put out a single finger, and pushed against her chest. She staggered dramatically back, and cried “How dare you, giant finger! You shall not defeat me with your pushing!” She lunged forwards, and he pushed again. This time she fell backwards onto the table. “No, nooo! Curse you, giant finger! You have destroyed meeeeee! Urk!” And she ‘died’.
Tempest let out the tiniest chuckle. Sky-Scraper looked up at him, and grinned. “See? I told you would help!”
“Do not get me wrong, little friend, I still do not like Thorathians.” He smiled softly down. “But maybe I like you.”

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Aw, cute! Sky-Scraper is such a sweetie. :D

(I'm remembering IIRC the incap of one of her forms where Tempest seems to be angrily showing her the Thorathian fleet invading his planet, and Sky-Scraper looks miserably guilty and you just want to hug both of them. But at least it seems by Prime War they get along well enough to be on the same team at least.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Thanks! Yeah, I sort of figured it's a bit too quick and easy to be really 'canon,' but whatever :P

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cute story about Sky-Scraper and Tempest

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Good work. Glad that this thread is getting some attention. :)

Whenever I think of some sort of ineraction between Sky-Scraper and Tempest like this, I just think of that one line from the Captain America movie, about how the Nazi's invaded Germany before they invaded anyone else. Voss invaded Sky's home before Tempest's...

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Yeah, my comment wasn't really a criticism of liarliar's story (sorry if it came off that way!) but that the story reminded me I feel sad that Sky-Scraper's such a cutie that doesn't deserve to have anyone mad at her yet you can still understand why Tempest is/was mad.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

Embeleshements

Headquarters seems so quiet right now. A few moments to breathe would be welcome, there always seemed to be some Villain or team of them attacking something as soon as I sit down. Oh well, I wonder if Dad is in at the moment, Guess I'll go check. The Familiar pathways of Freedom Five headquarters led me around to the left past some unused quarters. After entering the keypad for the building gentle music wafted out into the evening air. 

"Oh that's right, the Wardens are back! I should go say, but they might be resting." My feet began carrying me towards the sounds, the music. Most of the doors in this hallway were closed except for the one at the end of the hall, which seemed to be the source of the music.

"Might as well be friendly while I'm here," I knocked on the doorjam and called gently into the room "Hello?" 

"Come in," came a call over the music,

"Oh, Hey Anthony, i didn't know you were back, Did you guys find Hugh's brother?" I leaned up against the doorjam to watch him play. He didn't look up from the worn string instrument in his hands.

"Yeah, on our way back from Dok'Thorath, Nigel was;" a darker note entered into the music as Anthony thought "Troubled is the best word I guess. It was rough on everyone," I moved into the room and took a seat on the bed opposite from the chair he was playing. Now with a good view of Anthony's fingers the music seemed even more impressive. Simultaneously playing the melody by plucking strings with his fingers and playing the harmony higher on the neck by taping down on different strings with a little force.

"So everyone else is asleep? Why aren't you resting? It's not late yet, but I can't image how the Jet Lag is from off-world." A sudden laugh escaped me but I tried to stay quiet, i did NOT want to wake Helena up after a long trip. "Mom gets Jet Lag just coming home from accross country." 

"Yeah, I'll catch up on it later. Tempest wants to visit his people and Haka was going to drive him, I'll sleep in the car, the song i'm playing should help them recover more fully when they wake up."

"I thought that, uh, 'healy' song that you played was a Rhapsody?"

"It is, this spellsong is one i created myself. You're actually the first person I know of to hear it while concious." He glanced up as he played, but his voice faltered like he wasn't sure if he should continue. "It's uh..." 

Is he Blushing? Oh well now i Have to know more. "It's what?"

"Nothing. Just based on a song i listened to before i became a hero."

Yep, he was definately blushing; and hiding something. About this time in any fight I'd pull out the Big guns, Laser eyes & stuff. Hmm, what was that thing mom did with her face to get Dad to do what she wanted? I leaned forward and tried my best to 'Smoulder' without trying to hard. Being a Legacy meant if I tried anything too hard It might wind up being a new power & i didn't want to light any fires.

"Which song?"

"Uh... that Sandman song from Steelata, with some of my own changes thrown in."

I tried to stop myself from laughing. That didn't work so well and came out as a snort before rolling into a more natural laugh.

"Heavy Metal?! Really all the songs you play in a fight are Fancy Rhapsodies and Arias and in your spare time you sit in your room helping people sleep with Heavy Metal?

"Well...uh... Yeah."

"It's impressive. The song is great and we've had a whole conversation and your music hasn't slipped or stopped once."

"That's cause i Know music. It's other things I have trouble with; Guess it's a good thing my powers are based on music."

I laughed at that too, Anthony was funny when stuff wasn't blowing up around him. 

"I'll let you play, I'm gonna go see if Dad is around."

"See ya, Oh Felicia, did you get a new costume?"

"Yeah while you guys were off world, just wanted something that wasn't another Legacy you know. It could get confusing with two of us flying around, plus i like orange."

"I like it, but maybe try a sash? Tie the whole ensamble together, you know." He blushed again, like he hadn't intended to say that last part out loud. I guess that smoulder thing works really well, I'd have to thank Mom. Oooor maybe not, that could get awkward fast. I headed back towards the door, swaying maybe a bit more than was necessary

"I'll think about it. See you around Anthony."

liarliar
liarliar's picture

That was cute! I like focusing on the fact that Anthony really is a musician, as well as being the Adept.

A Quick Coffee and Sensible Advice

Maia was aware that she wasn’t a really good friend.

She cared, of course she cared. She’d never met anyone in the heroing business who didn’t care deeply about people – even Expatriette, who seemed perpetually about a day away from snapping and trying to kill the world, behaved that way because she cared. But for Maia, it was hard to take the step from caring about them to actually spending time with people. She always felt like she had somewhere else she should be.

Well, today would be a small move in the right direction. Sara and Maia had met in college, and they’d more-or-less been friends ever since. They met up at the campus coffee shop whenever they could, and when they both left college that had just meant moving to an inner-city coffee place instead.

And it was purely a coincidence that she needed personal advice, and Sara was the only person she felt like she could trust. That was just a minor detail.

Sara sipped her coffee slowly, and gazed over it at Maia, considering her. She probably knew something was up, she generally did.

“So what’s up?”

She shrugged and toyed with her own drink, a green tea that she'd half-finished. “Not a whole lot, what’s up with you?”

“Come on Maia, don’t give me that.” Sara was rolling her eyes. “You never come and get coffee with me unless you need advice. Which is, you know, sort of flattering I guess, but don’t try to pretend you came here without an agenda.”

Busted.

“Okay, so there is something I need some advice on.”

“Oh yeah? You looking for my expertise in mergers and acquisitions? Or have you suddenly become interested in becoming a psychiatrist?”

“Don’t tease. You know why you’re good to talk to.”

“It’s because I’m just so clever,” said Sara, affecting a look of great wisdom.

“Exactly. You’re the cleverest person I know. Smart, beautiful, insightful…”

“Alright, alright.” She waved a hand dismissively. “My ego is fine. What’s wrong?”

“Okay. So, it’s at work…there’s this guy.”

Sara’s eyes were suddenly huge. “Oh MY god you have a crush! You have a crush on someone at work, this is amazing! I want details, name, looks, everything! Aaah!”

Maia was pretty sure she wasn’t blushing. “Keep it down.”

Sara bit her lip, but she was clearly only just holding a lid on it. “Sorry.”

“And I am not giving you his name.”

“Is it some big secret? Oh, of course! Are you his boss? Isn’t that, like, unethical?”

“Sara. Please. I’m not his boss.” Dammit, she shouldn’t have used the ‘work’ excuse. At her day job, she was pretty much everybody’s boss. “It’s just…” God, how to explain. She was supposed to be good at this stuff! “Okay, he’s an equal, so that’s fine. He’s really more like a consultant.” That was sort of true, right? In that she asked his opinion on tactical matters? Sure, true enough. “He’s about my age, maybe a couple of years older but nothing weird, it’s just…it’s work, you know?”

Sara nodded sagely. “Yeah, that can make things awkward. So, you’ve told me why it can’t possibly happen – why do you want it to?”

“We…click. We talk, he gets me. And I think I get him in a way most people don’t, as well. We’ve been spending heaps of time working together recently,” trying to find out what was going on after the Progeny disaster, but that was going to stay unsaid, her company wasn’t precisely in the business of analysing interstellar threats to life on earth, “and…I don’t know, I think I feel something.” Plus, his shoulders.

Sara laughed, and she suddenly realised she’d said that last bit aloud. Now she could definitely feel herself blushing. “He’s pretty built, then?”

“He used to be in the army. I guess that means he works out a lot.”

Now Sara was nodding, a slightly hungry look to her smile. “Yeah, soldiers are yummy.”

“Yummier than paralegals?”

Sara grinned. “Don’t get me wrong, Eduardo’s perfect in every way, but I do like a muscular set of shoulders. They’re nice to look at. And to hang onto.”

“Sara!”

Her friend laughed. “I always forget you’re so young and innocent. Don’t tell me that you haven’t been thinking about it.”

She hadn’t, she definitely hadn’t. She especially hadn’t been thinking about his skin, and how good it looked, how it would feel to run her hands over his shoulders, press up against his firm chest, drag gentle fingers down his abs and…

Sara was giggling at her expression. “Oh, you’ve got it bad, little Maia. You are screwed.”

“Thanks so much.”

“Don’t be like that, it’ll be okay. Look, you wanted my advice, right?” Maia just nodded. “Okay. So it’s a weird situation and you’re not sure if you even want to pursue anything, because of the whole work thing. It feels like a big risk, right?” Another little nod. “Now, do you know what he feels about all of this?”

“I don’t really know. I mean he’s been spending as much time with me as I have with him, I think we have fun. But I’m not super great at understanding people, so I’m not sure.”

“I think you should trust yourself a little more. You’re clever, you know? If you think he’s into you, you’re probably right. And there’s every chance that he’s worrying about the same stuff as you are, which from what you’re telling me mostly sounds like you’re both scared of being rejected and making it awkward. So my advice is: suck it up, tell him how you feel.”

She frowned. “I don’t know…”

Sara raised a finger. “Uh uh. I know you’re a secretive person, and whatever, that’s fine. But if you hide your feelings from this guy, however hot you might be he’s eventually gonna move on to someone else, and I can’t imagine anything that would make it more awkward between you than that. Pining after people is the worst. If you want him, you have to make it happen.”

“Right.” One deep breath. “You’re right. If I want anything to happen, it’s on me.”

“Atta girl.” Sara took a long, satisfied drink of her coffee.

Her phone buzzed, and she glanced down for a moment, and the screen told her: Tyler.

Damn her blush! Honestly, she was normally good at deception. “Sorry, I have to check this.”

It said: Trouble in your area. Likely BB. How soon can you be here?

“I’m so sorry Sara, something’s come up. Work stuff. I have to go.”

Sara looked like a Cheshire cat. “Uh huh. Nice. Go get ‘im, girl.

Maia threw a few bills on the table and rushed off, texting as she went. On my way now. Looking forward to it.