The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Sidekick for iPad & iPhone & Android

321 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture
Sentinels Sidekick for iPad & iPhone & Android

Heya, this is my first post on the forums, so please bear with me -- I don't want to come across as spam! I've been playing Sentinels of the Multiverse since we (Handelabra Studio) had a booth next to >G at PAX Prime 2011. We were booth neighbours again at PAX East this year, too!

After playing the game a bunch and fiddling around with hit point tracking cards and tokens and dice and whatever, I decided enough was enough. I'm an app developer, I'm making an app! So, I did =)

The result is Sentinels Sidekick - a hitpoint tracking app for SotM that just came out on the App Store (finally). It's a Universal app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

And since I would love to get some feedback from you guys, we're happy to share some promo codes:

LY96FW76JY46
HFFP7473MW39
YTJXYPJPT6K9
NTFHHJMJA46E
HA43M99KT7L9
9XXYX7N3R4FT
66XYKE799HLH
H949KRNPLKR4
4KPW3J9JAKXF
JYMPF9M7F4AX

My dream is to make an electronic version of the game itself, but for that I would need Chris to answer his emails.. *poke poke* =)

Update: If you're looking for the Android version you can find it on Google Play or Amazon Appstore.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

John!  Hi!

I WILL get back to you (SORRY!  Things are CRAZY right now) but not until after everything has been sent to the printer.  Expect to hear from me early June.

Also, I need to get an iDevice of some sort, apparently...  *grin*

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I'll keep an eye out for an android ap, I have an android phone and kindle fire.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I actually had a Windows Mobile app that had some of the same functionality.  Though, trying to keep track of everybody's HP and damage modifiers with a Dell Axim using a standard Windows Forms app isn't exactly too enticing.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Oh, and if anyone on here likes the idea of Presidents punching Presidents (and if you don't, WHY NOT?!) you should check out Handelabra's game "Uncle Slam"!  It's a lot of fun - we got to see it at PAX Prime last fall and then again at PAX East this spring!  Seriously, go take a look.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Nicked the first code and downloaded. I'm at work right now, so I can't look at it in depth, but it looks good so far!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I took the second code.  Downloading now.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Spiff
Spiff's picture

For those who can't/haven't downloaded the app, here's a description:  everything happens on a single screen, with the villain and environment along the top and the heroes around the bottom/right/left.  You touch an area (hero, environment, villain) and a popup appears where you can choose which one to put at that position.  For villains and heroes, you're presented with that character's hit points which you can plus up or minus down to keep track of the current total.  There's also a second tracker per character for max hit points (nice touch).

For the heroes, it doesn't track cards in any way [see update below], but for the villain and environment, it lets you lay out any of that deck's cards that have hp and then track the hp & max hp of each one separately.  For example, when I choose Pike Industrial Complex, the only choice for adding a card to that area is to add "Escaped Lab Rat".  But if I choose Insula Primalis, I can add a T-Rex, pterodactyl, or velociraptor.

I checked what would happen when you lay out Matriarch, since you're likely to subsequently lay out a zillion birds.  It's easy enough.  Once you have too many cards to fit inside the villain's play area, you have to scroll that area to see all the cards.  Not bad.

There are options for randomizing the game, you can turn on/off the option to have a card automatically disappear when you drop its hp to zero, you can tell it to include Rook City or not, and you can even toggle whether you want to allow duplicate heroes.  The best option is toggling it so that the screen never locks while you have the app open -- a must since I think it would kill the utility of the app if you had to swipe your iPad back to life every time you had to update anything in the app.  There are also links to web resources such as the rules from the SotM website, the forums, boardgamegeek, etc.

I dig the app.  I think they need to strike a deal with SotM right away so that the app can include official art, 'cause that would make it even awesomer.  I would also maybe make a suggestion about the layout of the areas on the screen -- right now it's laid out like you'd actually have players sitting around a table, which is fine, except that the heroes on the right and left are rotated 90-degrees (it's basically just like the playmat).  That would make sense if you're going to lay the iPad in the center of the table and have everyone reach in to update their hero's hp.  But another way I can see this being used is for a single person to keep the iPad next to them while everyone plays, and in that use case, all the hero areas should perhaps be oriented to be readable in portrait mode.  Maybe that could be an option?  Also, adding +/- trackers for damage dealt or other things would be sweet.

Great job. :)

UPDATE:  I spoke too soon about it not tracking hero cards.  If you choose Visionary, it does in fact let you lay out any number of Decoy Projections.  These guys think of everything. :)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Oh, I just realized what those little symbols next to the hero hp totals are -- the app will automatically show you who's the highest and lowest hp!  That's pretty great.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I just checked it out on my iPhone (the above info was from iPad).  It's essentially the same, but with the smaller screen real estate available, not everything happens on a single screen.  You add the hero/villain/environment like usual but then you hit a button to add cards and are taken to a separate screen where the cards for that entity are displayed.  When you're done, you go back to the main screen and you'll see "1 card" or "3 cards" or however many cards you've added to that entity.  Press that to get back to the cards you've laid out.  It's a perfectly good way to handle things on the smaller device.  It looks like on the iPhone, all the heroes are oriented to be read in portrait mode.

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:
I dig the app.  I think they need to strike a deal with SotM right away so that the app can include official art, 'cause that would make it even awesomer.

Definitely. Having official art would make this, well, awesomer. Not to mention that it would make referencing specific targets go more quickly.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Christopher wrote:
I WILL get back to you (SORRY!  Things are CRAZY right now) but not until after everything has been sent to the printer.  Expect to hear from me early June.

I figured you guys were just totally blitzed with the kickstarter and everything, no problem. I'll look forward to it! =)

Spiff: I'm glad you like it! I definitely tried to make it cover all the bases the game has to offer in terms of hitpoints (i.e. max hp, possible targets, card ordering). Good suggestions too -- we'll look into having an "all portrait" option for iPad. For iPhone it's all portrait because the geometry just doesn't work having the side heroes rotated on that aspect ratio.

Some things we're planning for next updates:
- Damage modifiers and other "effect" tracking
- Automatic synchronization between multiple devices for the same game, e.g. if everyone at the table has their own iPhone
- More robust and useful information lookups (card FAQs etc)

Official card art would be the bomb, but I'll have to wait for that email from Chris ;)

BTW, the last screenshot on the iTunes store preview webpage is a photo of the app in action during a game. Let me see if I can attach the iPad one here..

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Quote:
- Automatic synchronization between multiple devices for the same game, e.g. if everyone at the table has their own iPhone

Ooh, that's titilatingly close to being able to play the game remotely with friends over the internet.  Me likee.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

If only I had a device that I could use with the app. It looks really neat and would be fun to toy around with. Guess i'll stick with the good ol' classic of pen and paper. Though if I ever get a little handy device I know what will be the first thing I look up.

Tegulus

Looks pretty nice. My cats keep knocking the dice off of the table, so this is definitely going to be tried out next game.

I did notice that cards aren't removed when they get to HP due to lowering the max HP. Not a big deal since you can just remove the card anyway.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Tegulus wrote:
I did notice that cards aren't removed when they get to HP due to lowering the max HP. Not a big deal since you can just remove the card anyway.

Good catch -- I'll fix that for the next update.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks! I've redeemed the third code. It may be Thu before I can give the app a proper try.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Minor issue. If the Chairman is brought down to 0 HP when the setting is to remove cards that have 0 HP, all villain targets go away, even though the Operative might still be active. I'm guessing this is true of Omnitron, too. I suppose the solution is to not use the setting where cards go away at 0 HP.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Hmm interesting. I actually put in a flag to prevent a card from being removed at 0 HP no matter what -- but I only set it for Baron Blade. I didn't realize the implications of the rules for Omnitron and the Chairman, and will set that flag for the update.

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Also it looks like it's removing heroes when they hit 0... but they still get to use their flip-side abilities when they're incapacitated. Don't know if it's too big a deal if players have their cards out, but it might be worth remembering.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Yep that's intentional. I thought it was a bit more dramatic for when you go down, and there's no flipside information shown in the app anyway =)

You can't really use the app without having cards on the table, so I think it's ok.

Gnipp
Playtester

I grabbed the second from the bottom code.  This looks like it will be quite useful for my solo play instead of dice.  Thanks for all the effort you put into this.  Can't wait to try it out.

And as for SOTM being an actual iPad app?  I've been dreaming of it since day one...

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I'm putting together a minor update to address some of the issues you guys found - thanks! Let me know if you see any other issues and I'll roll in fixes if possible.

So far:
- Omnitron and Chairman are never auto-removed
- Auto-remove works when HP are reduced to 0 as a result of Max HP change
- New option for iPad: "Show all heroes in portrait mode"

Major new features will be coming in a 1.1 update, but I would like to address any minor things quickly in this 1.0.1 update.

Gnipp
Playtester

I realize I am stretching here, but could there be any way of making it where you could enter home made stuff(heroes, villains, etc)

The reason I am asking is so that maybe I could add in the playtest info.  It also has the side effect of entered other home made stuff as well.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

That's one of the things I have planned for the bigger update. It's something that deserves to have some careful consideration given for usability, but rest assured it's in the works =)

ColdfireSerge

I grabbed the 5th code. Just chose it randomly. This looks really useful. I will certainly be using it during my next play session.

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Great app, does almost everything I want! The 1.0.1 updates sound good.

For long term updates, do you plan on implementing damage bonuses, reductions, immunities, etc? Basically every icon from here: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1118605/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Tegulus

Tried it out on my iPhone tonight. Legacy, Haka, Wraith, and Ra versus Spite in Atlantis. Not the best test to check out all of the app's features. But, the basic functionality was solid.
Maybe tomorrow night my wife and I will try someone with targets in their deck.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

pcgamerpirate wrote:
For long term updates, do you plan on implementing damage bonuses, reductions, immunities, etc? Basically every icon from here: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1118605/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

Yup, I'm planning to have persistent effect tracking in the next update if feasible. It will focus on damage modifiers since I find that's the main thing you need to keep track of.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

MigrantP wrote:

pcgamerpirate wrote:

Yup, I'm planning to have persistent effect tracking in the next update if feasible. It will focus on damage modifiers since I find that's the main thing you need to keep track of.

You might take a look at the modifier tracking tokens we're including as part of the Enhanced Edition of the game, as just implementing a "Tap to add token" functionality might be a straight-forward way to go.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I did see the tokens in the kickstarter update, and I might go that direction. However first I'm looking to take advantage of the electronic format as much as possible.. what I'm looking at so far is a kind of "fill in the blanks" concept.

e.g. the template:
damage dealt from to by until

covers a pretty significant chunk of all of the "damage increase/decrease" effects found in the game. I've been going through the decks looking for all the effects to come up with a small number of templates that provide good coverage and make sense.

Of course Infernal Relics will probably throw everything for a loop but we'll cross that bridge when it arrives ;)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That's a good idea.  Are you thinking that users could create their own "tokens" using that template system, or just that that's the internal template the app will use?  If you expose it to users, you could pre-populate it with a few default options so that the basics are covered and are easy to choose, but users could also make their own custom "tokens" to cover situations you didn't anticipate.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:
damage dealt from to by until

Perhaps add 'prevent' and 'make irreducible' to the increase/decrease options.

Also, perhaps add a second template:

Make damage dealt from to be until

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I'm going to play with the UI but I would like to expose the ability to create any kind of token that fits within the system.

arenson9: that's just one example of a template, there are a few to cover the different scenarios that come up from the cards.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

1.0.1 has been submitted, with the following fixes:

- New option for iPad: "Show all heroes in portrait mode"
- Omnitron and Chairman are never auto-removed
- Auto-remove works when HP are reduced to 0 as a result of Max HP change
- Fixed one of Voss' card names (the Translocator was "Gene-bound" instead of "Quark-Drive")

Judging from recently app store times it should be approved within a week.

Now I'm going on vacation, but I'll pop in here once in a while =)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cool. I would love to learn how to create an iOS app. If you've got any tips on how to start and/or are willing to share the code, please let me know. I'll certainly understand if that's not appropriate.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The best way to learn is just to jump in =). I recommend the "grapefruit book" found here. I started with the iOS 3 edition but I'm sure the new editions are just as good or better.

I can't share code for this app (and it wouldn't teach you how to create an iOS app), but there's all kinds of sample code and tutorials out there on the net.

logan_mann

Had a chance to try this out finally.  Expatriatte, Legacy, Tachyon and Wraith against Spite in the Ruins of Atlantis.  The features that are currently incorporated were great.  I wish it could do all the math for me though  :P  Spite was a real brain burner figuring out damage. 

If >G chooses to get behind you on this app then I think this would be a great use of the wonderful art on the health trackers from the Rook City campaign that they are discontinuing anyway.  Great art and a great place to use it.

I'm hoping to try this out again with a villian that has minions to see how that goes.  Dice have worked really well for me for small targets and knitting counters have been great for heros and villians.  But this is a great way to have it all in one place.

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

Looks quite simple, elegant, and convenient! Now if only I had an iPad...

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

FrostMist
FrostMist's picture
Playtester

I redeemed the 4th code - will be interesting to see how it works and such :)

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Love the app, it's a great addition to a great game. We've almost completely gotten rid of the need for tokens.

Things we use tokens for are powers like Wraith's stealth when she doesn't take damage for a while and cards that require a certain amount of damage be done in a round. Perhaps cards like Rooftop Combat could have a counter.

Also Absolute Zero could use a Thermal Shockwave counter to count the amount of fire damage he has taken since the end of his last turn.

Any more previews of features you're going to add?

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

pcgamerpirate wrote:
Also Absolute Zero could use a Thermal Shockwave counter to count the amount of fire damage he has taken since the end of his last turn.

Thermal Shockwave keeps track of how much Cold damage is dealt by Absolute Zero.

Coolant Blast keeps track of how much Fire damage is dealt to Absolute Zero.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Kaudrim
Playtester

This look like it would be nice, but alas I don't have an I device. Only android.

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Plato

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Koga wrote:

pcgamerpirate wrote:

Thermal Shockwave keeps track of how much Cold damage is dealt by Absolute Zero.

Coolant Blast keeps track of how much Fire damage is dealt to Absolute Zero.

Whoops, mixed them up. That's what I meant.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Hmm... Absolute Zero, with Isothermic Transducer, Null Point Calibration Unit, Focused Apeture, Coolant Blast, Thermal Shockwave, and Embolden, possibly with a few outside "damage +1" buffs, against a villain (or environment) which likes to deal fire damage......

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I am indeed on vacation, but I've found some time to do a few little things.. so here's a sneak peak!

And I'll respond to one reviewer on the App Store -- the app will indeed be updated with Infernal Relics information, ideally on the day and date of the expansion release. Possibly even once it goes to the printer, I'll talk to Christopher when he's back from the con =)

Gnipp
Playtester

Lookin good!  Can't wait to try it out.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Also, version 1.0.1 is now out in the App Store so be sure to grab that update which has some little fixes.

logan_mann

I downloaded the update, thank you for that, but suddenly i can't give health back to heroes.  I can subtract HP but the add buttons stopped working.  Is this a problem for anyone else after they updated?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'm seeing the same problem -- the heroe's plus buttons don't work.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Hrm not sure how that slipped through.

It only affects the left/right side heroes and only if they are rotated. The bottom middle hero is fine and if you use the new option to rotate to portrait, they are fine. That's a workaround for now until I can get a fix through.

Also if you tap the + part at the very left of it, near the - part, it will work. Still a problem to fix though!

Looks like I'll be submitting an update with custom cards and that fix soon, then.

Pages