The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Baron Blade Short Story

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester
Baron Blade Short Story

For my creative writing class I was (I guess am because it isn't due until tomorrow) supposed to write a short story. I decided on Baron Blade leading up to the decision he made about crashing the moon into the earth. It is 3 pages long, so it is a little long. I whilse talk about what assumptions I made about the writing in the post after the story is complete (if it takes more than one post). So, enjoy!

BaronBlade is the first version of the story (In case people want to see what changes I made)
BaronBladeNew is the improved and final version of the story.

"Good men don't need rules. Now is not the day to find out why I have so many" - the Doctor

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Oh the font is smaller, ergo it is not as big as it was in word :P Alright, time for some assumptions I made.

1. Baron Blade was imprisoned for the death of Legacy Sr. This would mean he only fought the current Legacy once and found him to be bullet proof.
2. Baron Blade would have an escape plan in case he did fail and get caught
3. Baron Blade escapes immediately, and Legacy would be able to find out that the man who killed his father is free relatively quickly
4. Baron Blade believes everyone is intellectually inferior
5. Baron Blade would have some sort of way to get data on his enemies (in the form of nano-bots in this story)
6. Baron Blade is emotionally stressed because this new Legacy is much stronger than the old one
7. Baron Blade knows that the Parsons are Legacys
8. Baron Blade is smart enough, even with his sanity strained, to know that he would not survive the impact if he stayed on Earth
9. Baron Blade experiences mood swings.
10. Baron Blade sees no value in human life other than his own.

That's about it! I hope you all like this little story. I have to applaud whoever did the art for his HP tracker, because that is what really got me thinking about it. And also thanks to whoever runs their twitter fo allowing me to use their characters and setting. My teacher is worried about stuff like that for some reason. And finally, thanks to the enire theam at >G for making a stupidly fun game!

Edited for clarity

"Good men don't need rules. Now is not the day to find out why I have so many" - the Doctor

chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture

Your rendition of Baron Blade makes me think of all the best (worst?) parts of Doctor Doom and Cobra Commander, given a more tangible history that some people can actually relate to.  (I don't know many people who can identify with unabashed megalomaniacs.)  The Baron is one of those folk who could do great things for the world if his own view of it didn't poison him.  I brings a tear to my eye when something captures the source material while being truly worthy of it.

It also makes me a tiny bit jealous that nothing I've ever written has been this cool... but still, awesome expanded-universe goodness!

Bravo!

-CSR

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Singlog wrote:
Oh the font is smaller, ergo it is not as big as it was in word :P Alright, time for some assumptions I made.

1. Baron Blade was imprisoned for the death of Legacy Sr. This would mean he only fought the current Legacy once and found him to be bullet proof.
2. Baron Blade would have an escape plan in case he did fail and get caught
3. Baron Blade escapes immediately, and Legacy would be able to find out that the man who killed his father is free relatively quickly
4. Baron Blade believes everyone is intellectually inferior
5. Baron Blade would have some sort of way to get data on his enemies (in the form of nano-bots in this story)
6. Baron Blade is emotionally stressed because this new Legacy is much stronger than the old one
7. Baron Blade knows that the Parsons are Legacys
8. Baron Blade is smart enough, even with his sanity strained, that he would not survive the impact if he stayed on Earth
9. Baron Blade experiences mood swings.
10. Baron Blade sees no value in human life other than his own.

That's about it! I hope you all like this little story. I have to applaud whoever did the art for his HP tracker, because that is what really got me thinking about it. And also thanks to whoever runs their twitter fo allowing me to use their characters and setting. My teacher is worried about stuff like that for some reason. And finally, thanks to the enire theam at >G for making a stupidly fun game!

Adam did the art for the HP Tracker cards.  Unsurprisingly, Adam does ALL the art for the game.  He's a machine!

I run the Twitter, and you're more than welcome.

Great job on the story - you really have a good feel for the Baron.  Also, your assumptions are spot on.  (With the slight exception that Baron Blade is clever enough to avoid his own plans - his plans are consistently BAD plans that almost always result in his own demise.  Really, the guy needs to take a step back once in a while...)

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Yeah, the reason why I had him push the Moon into the Earthas opposed to pulling it, is that he would realize that he would be at ground zero and will most likely die. I can accept that he is so egotistical that he thinks he can live.

One thing that I wanted to get through was that he was desprate to the point of insanity. He had just killed one Legacy only to find that a new one had already discovered his powers, and has impenitrible skin. I don't think that I made it clear enough. However, we are apperently going to have the class critique our stories, so I might be able to add a few things to make it come through. And now that I see the attachment button, I'll just add the word document!

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Bumped for new draft upload. I really enjoyed writing this, and may in the future write more stories. I do have a really cool idea with Mr. Fixer's origin. I think it would be fun to write a story about something in SotM where I don't have to explain things to people who don't play the game. I would really like to have everyone's opinion on my stories so I can improve upon them.

Thanks in advance!

Civi
Playtester

The story has brought up a question.
It attributes laser vision to Legacy Snr. & Legacy, but I had thought it was Young Legacy's new power (from the art on Next Generation and also her printed Power).
Can anyone with better knowledge confirm?

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

It has been stated that each generation in the Parson family is stronger than the previous. Legacy is the first one with flight, while the promotional Legacy is the first one with laser vision.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Young Legacy is certainly the first one with laser vision, however, the first one with flight was born in the early 1900s. The new power of the Legacy of the core game is super-strong skin (represented by the card "Fortitude").

Hope this helps!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

I didn't think of laser vision being Young Legacy exclusive (although I should have with the card) but I knew America's Finest had developed impenetrable skin. After Christopher said that Baron Blade's plan are usually so bad they failed, I thought of the most expensive way to kill Legacy's Dad, so I thought an entire army of robotic minions fit the bill. Then I remembered that the former Legacy did not have bullet proof skin, and I thought that Baron Blade would love to have an anti-climatic end to his foe, so I then added the assassin bit.

msbq
msbq's picture

Wow, this is extremely cool. I know that there's fan-fiction of just about anything out there nowadays but this really has me thinking...

I'm definitely outlining a Wraith comic in my mind now. Perhaps we can collaborate. :)

"One for Wrath... and one for Ruin."

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Sorry it's been awhile since I've posted, but yeah that sounds awesome! I always have a soft spot for super hero/villains that don't have any actual powers, but are still able to keep up with those that do. PM sometime!