The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Box question

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
waedens
Playtester
Box question

I think I read that Vengence is coming with oversized villain cards standard. Does this mean the box is set up to accommodate them? If yes will it fit all the oversized cards from the other sets and promotions? Or am I misunderstanding and Vengence is going to arrive in the same standard size box that we have got all the other expansions in. 

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Vengeance will be in a box like the Enhanced Edition.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Maybe there is a special slot for Oversized cards? Would be cool, but it will probably be just like the EE box and the new IRRC box

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

pwatson1974 wrote:

Vengeance will be in a box like the Enhanced Edition.

Except with Baron Blade where Legacy is, it has that whole miror image thing going.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

The Vengeance box is the same dimensions as the Enhanced Edition box (and the new RC/IR Box), but instead of the interior being split... ok, look, I wrote out three or four more lines of explanation and then realized that A) this was a clunky description, and B) the prototype Vengeance box was right next to me on my desk. So, here's what it looks like:

Vengeance Box Prototype

See? Plenty of room for cards, but also a handy bay for Oversized cards and bags of tokens and such!

And of course I took the picture on a pile of Misters Chomps. How could I not?!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Would it be feasible, then, to use the Vengeance box solely for Villains and Environments with the Enhanced Edition Box to hold Heroes?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Hmm, I believe so. Though that will get harder and harder, moving forward. 

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Glad to see that the oversized card storage predicament was thought about and solved. You guys, I loves you guys.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

No doubt!  

If Expansion #5 follows the Rook City/Infernal Relics/Shattered Timelines route, that's another 2 heroes, 4 Environments, and 4 Villains.

Tack on another Mega-Expansion--to say nothing of mini-expansions--and I'll need at least 3 boxes to cart everything around!  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That's awesome! Thanks, Christopher!

Just another reason to look forward to the set. laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Wow!  That looks awesome!

Now I have to wonder if any companies make sleeves for the oversized Vengeance villain cards...

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Being that I don't use the oversized villains, I'm a bit disappointed with this box.  It probably won't actually matter since we're past the point of everything fitting in one box, but I would kind of have preferred for them to be the same.  Not a strong opinion though.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I found these fit them pretty well

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

pwatson1974 wrote:

Awesome!  Thanks!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Envisioner wrote:

Being that I don't use the oversized villains, I'm a bit disappointed with this box.  It probably won't actually matter since we're past the point of everything fitting in one box, but I would kind of have preferred for them to be the same.  Not a strong opinion though.

The biggest gripe about the standard EE and IRRC boxs are that there is *no* room for the oversized cards or tokens with the dividers. Since they already have two boxes like that, a third wouldn't make much sense. The game still comes with tokens and Oversized cards, and it would be nice for everyone involved to have a game box that fits the stuff it comes with.

And thats great you dont use the oversized cards...but you do know Vengeance will not have the small villain cards right? It is only Oversized for them. Might as well get used to them now buddy!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

2.5 boxes (or 2 EE boxes and 1 Vengeance box) will hold all of the cards up through the end of the game -- not including mini-expansions and other "expansion-like things" (?) -- all with sleeves. I counted.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Foote wrote:
but you do know Vengeance will not have the small villain cards right? It is only Oversized for them. Might as well get used to them now buddy!

That is intensely annoying.  The way I lay out my table, space is at a premium, having cards of a nonstandard size is going to be a severe inconvenience.

>G, any chance you can sell a non-oversized pack of Vengeful Five villain character cards as an accessory?

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Nope.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Envisioner wrote:

Foote wrote:
but you do know Vengeance will not have the small villain cards right? It is only Oversized for them. Might as well get used to them now buddy!

That is intensely annoying.  The way I lay out my table, space is at a premium, having cards of a nonstandard size is going to be a severe inconvenience.>G, any chance you can sell a non-oversized pack of Vengeful Five villain character cards as an accessory?

The way you lay out your table, I'm assuming 2-4 extra decks/trash piles won't be equally as annoying? Slightly larger villain cards as a "severe" issue is slightly overstated

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

It only compounds the problem.  Perhaps it was already impossible or nearly so, but this is just salt in the wound.  I have to ask why this decision was made.  Was there not enough space on the print sheet for ten more normal-sized cards?

I strongly hope that this will not be true of other expansions going forward.  I get that Vengeance is special in a lot of ways, but I want the set after it to be consistent with the existing expansions.  And while the one after that might be another Vengeance-style extravaganza, I hope it will offer the option of normal-sized villain cards as well.  The inconsistency of having one or two expansions use only oversized villains, when non-oversized villain cards have always been part of the game (it'd be different if villains had always been oversized exclusively, rather than going the two-card route), is just a major irritant to my OCD-esque desire for symmetry and uniformity in aesthetics.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't think you'll have a problem with them, Envisioner. Have patience and see what they look like, then you can make that call.

pwatson1974 wrote:

I'll second that - they work great for all the oversized cards.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

They also have hard sleeves which adds additional protection from bending.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

If I remember my podcasts Christopher said that "oversized" cards were always meant to be the norm since the very first edition, but they were talked out of it by their printers

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

waedens
Playtester

All I can say is you guys ROCK! And a special thanks to Mr. Chomps for helping out. 

Now the next question. Will the Vengence box be big enough to hold all future expansions? Or should I get one of the empty boxes now available?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

>G has said in the past that they expect everything they make for SotM to fit in the Enhanced Edition and Vengeance boxes (without sleeves), so we should be fine - unless you want to sleeve your decks. I have no idea if/how that'll work. frown

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

This box is being offered to hold the full sets sleeved, was my understanding, for those people that already have IR and RC.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Rabit wrote:

>G has said in the past that they expect everything they make for SotM to fit in the Enhanced Edition and Vengeance boxes (without sleeves), so we should be fine - unless you want to sleeve your decks. I have no idea if/how that'll work. frown

There's a thread about sleeving and storage going:

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/sleevers-4400

Besides sleeves making deck thicker and needing more storage space the brand and type of sleeves also matters.  In short, I have been using a more expensive sleeve (Dragon Shields) that unfortunately just also happens to make the cards just a little too tall to fit cleanly into the EE box in the desired fashion.  So I gave myself a more complicated storage issue from the get-go.  Other comments indicate that other sleeve brands do not have this issue.

grim88

Has it been stated if all expansions going forward will be using oversized villian cards? If so, i'll probably purchase the older ones sooner than I thought I would.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I hope so, That's why I went ahead and got them now with the promo's and errata pack.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

I picked up a set of the oversized villain cards yesterday at the FLGS I frequent.  (Also got 15 empty Dragon Shield sleeve boxes that he had on hand which I am planning to convert for holding sleeved hero decks.)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

grim88 wrote:

Has it been stated if all expansions going forward will be using oversized villian cards? If so, i'll probably purchase the older ones sooner than I thought I would.

I don't think so, I think the main reason V5 are Oversized only, is because they are supposed to super scary! They're essentially the mid-boss of the SotM card game.

byc
Playtester

Ronway wrote:
grim88 wrote:

I don't think so, I think the main reason V5 are Oversized only, is because they are supposed to super scary! They're essentially the mid-boss of the SotM card game.

So the final boss of SotM should be a full box sized villain character card?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

byc wrote:

Ronway wrote:
grim88 wrote:

So the final boss of SotM should be a full box sized villain character card?

Perhaps?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I will settle for nothing less than a life sized model.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Drakossozh

That would take one hell of a box...

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

The final battle is versus Christopher himself. He stands there with a deck of blank cards, writing your doom each turn. On Advanced mode, Adam illustrates and Paul handles the tokens.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Yup. That's canon now. 

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Christopher. You TOTALLY need to do this as a promotional event at Origins or Gencon this year. FIGHT! *MORTAL KOMBAT!!!*

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

lynkfox wrote:

That. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME Christopher. You TOTALLY need to do this as a promotional event at Origins or Gencon this year. FIGHT! *MORTAL KOMBAT!!!*

That would be super fun! I'm envisioning giving Christopher 25 blank cards and having him write on each blank card as it appears. Not all of them will be in any given game, so if he played the deck again, he could write more. And he could always cross things off and change them if he wants.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

lynkfox wrote:
That. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME Christopher. You TOTALLY need to do this as a promotional event at Origins or Gencon this year. FIGHT! *MORTAL KOMBAT!!!*

That would be super fun! I'm envisioning giving Christopher 25 blank cards and having him write on each blank card as it appears. Not all of them will be in any given game, so if he played the deck again, he could write more. And he could always cross things off and change them if he wants. 

Oo, oo, oo -- more ideas: Adam could have until the game finished to illustrate as many of the cards he couldn't.

Perhaps for even more hilarity, switch the roles -- Adam makes up the card text and Christopher illustrates it. 

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

huffn
huffn's picture
Playtester

How do I buy tickets to watch this?!?!?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Maybe this should be part of the release party for Vengeance we've been talking about?

And, having seen Christopher's art, well...  Maybe we should stick with Adam doing the art. Christopher's is about as good as mine would be...

Actually, I think it would be hilarious for all three of the guys to take turns, rotating through, with one of them doing the game text, one the art, and one the flavor text. They could discuss their card idea while the hero turns are played.

Don't know what they think of this, but obviously we'd be entertained.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Huffin... who are you and why have I never seen you in the PT forums before?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

McBehrer wrote:

Huffin... who are you and why have I never seen you in the PT forums before?

Do you mean huffn? Are you saying you never heard of the legend of huffn, the pixelated boy? I would tell it, but it always brings a tear to my eye. Since I am Ronway, I can't let folks see me shed a tear or rumors may start spreading that I human and have human feelings. Can't have that, can I?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I would love to see this, expecially quick art for the cards.

If this happened at the release party I might have to make the trip from Pittsburgh.

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Well, as the final boss, presumably we'd have a few expansions to go before this fight, right?

It's kind of fun considering what heroes you would field for such a battle, though. I think if I were choosing a 5-hero team myself, I'd go with Legacy and Nightmist for the "villain cards cannot be played" effects, Tempest and Argent Adept for trash recursion, and Team Leader Tachyon for card draw: with vernal sonatas fetching reclaims from the deep and vice versa and Team Leader Tachyon letting everyone draw cards I think you might actually be able to lock down the villain deck entirely.

Although now that I've mentioned this strategy that might encourage Chris to just open up with something like "INEXORABLE WILL OF THE CREATOR (Ongoing): ignore any text which says villain cards cannot be played." Still, better that than other things he could start off with. "Blade Brigade"! "Electropulse Explosive Factory"! "Paparazzi On The Scene Of A Hostage Situation During A Traffic Pileup (Sorry Adam)"!

huffn
huffn's picture
Playtester

McBehrer, I was more active in the previous playtest, this most recent one I was swamped with schoolwork, but now that I've graduated (which should dry any tears from poor, poor Ronway), I hope to do more than just make sure I've read everyone's comments.