The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Living Sentinels Campaign #2 - Results Thread

189 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Forgot to mention, just note the final hp of each character.

Also

Results Due by Saturday, November 9th, 11:59 PM CST. New games will be posted on Sunday.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Any chance that at least one scenario from Chapter 4 could be done with Core Set + Unity/Ambuscade/Silver Gulch?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I knew this would be a concern. Thie biggest issue is that you can't replace the villain, and Omnitron, Voss, and Dawn, don't really fit into the story. Let me see what I can do.

I am writing a short side story. It wasn't originally part of the main plot, but the heroes weren;t doing anything this week anyways (well, not that you know of).

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Ah, well. I will be hitting you with a PM to discuss another story sequence, for when you wrap this one up.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chapter 3D - There and Back Again

Legacy: We're trapped. Tachyon, check to see if there's a way out.

Tachyon: *Blurs for a second* It's quite big, but no way out.

*The air shimmers.*

Chrono-Ranger: Con, they were here, just like you said.

Legacy: Who are you?

Chrono-Ranger: No time. Someonei is messing with the time stream. You need to stop them.

*The air shimmers again.*

Chrono-Ranger: Go through, and bring back that bounty hunter.

*The heroes walk thruogh the portal.*

Bunker: Where are we?

Tachyon: Seems like the old west.

Setup

Villain: Advanced Ambuscade

Heroes (in any order): Legacy (25 hp), Tachyon (19 hp), Absolute Zero (20 hp), Bunker (19 hp), Chrono-Ranger (if you don't have Chrono-Ranger, just play a 4 hero game without him.

Environment: Silver Gulch

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

PlatinumWarlock's Results:  3A

Did the Heroes Win?  YES!  Astoundingly, so!

What were the ending hp?  Fanatic [12]; Scholar [25]; Unity [12].

I actually managed to open the game with Redeemer Bot, which made a huge help, in terms of keeping Fanatic alive and fueling Scholar's card draw.  The Environment was an issue at times, as only Fanatic could really destroy Environment cards, though two Police Backups and a well-timed Zealous Offense kept it in check.  

Unity was the heavy hitter in this match, ending the game with 3 Raptor Bots, Redeemer Bot, Platform Bot, Turret Bot, Cryo Bot, and Swift Bot in play!

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlock's Results:  3B!

Did the Heroes Win?  Yes...with some odd results.

Final Hero HP:   Visionary [7]; Tempest [2]; Nightmist [8]

This was a very odd match.  I didn't come across a single one of Gloomweaver's relics, instead managing to beat down Gloomweaver's HP with an amped-up Tempest (complete with GeneBound Shackles).  Between a combo of Into the Stratosphere and Suggestion, Gloomweaver was relegated to playing mostly the same Zombie over and over again, while we proceeded to beat on him.  The one round I didn't have one of those cards, Nightmist Mistbound his deck...

The only reason that my hp were so low this round was because I had a Toxic Seaweed in play, which I just left there, preferring the 2 damage per round to the Voodoo Pin beneath it.

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlocks Results:  3C!

Did the Heroes Win?  Yes, barely.

Final Hero HP:  Haka [6]; Ra [1]; Wraith [3]; Fixer [8]; Expatriette [9]; Nephthys [12]; Osiris [8]

An absolutely brutal game, I was convinced that I wasn't going to win this, with Chairman dealing 6 each time I hit him.  However, I ended up with several multi-tags of damage from Haka (Elbow Smash/Mere); Ra (Flame Spike, Blazing Tornado, Pyre); and Fixer (both Overdrive and Charge with Pipe Wrench, Grease Monkey, and Harmony in play).  I'd have easily been dead on the next round, had I not had a great 'nova' turn.  

Both Nephthys and Osiris were critical for this match, as I was able to focus damage on the Chairman and Operative, leaving a target free for Osiris and enjoying some great healing.  Without that, I'd have been down for the count!

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlocks Results:  3D!

Did the Heroes Win?  Good lord, YES.  Wow.  Beatdown.

Final Hero HP?  Legacy [24]; Tachyon [16]; Absolute Zero [25]; Bunker [17]; Chrono Ranger [23]

I've rarely seen such a huge beatdown on the player's side, primarily due to some phenomenal draws.  Legacy opened with Inspring Prescence and had his Motivational Charge/Legacy Ring/Galvanize combo rolling.  AZ had everything he needed and was firing off massive damage Thermal Shockwaves by round 3.  Tachyon had no less than 3 Hypersonic Assaults, which shut down Ambuscade, and Chrono-Ranger opened with Jim's Hat, Sudden Contract and his Bow in hand.  Bunker was merely "okay" and still was dishing out harshness with Flak Cannon and Ammo Drop rolling.  By the time I got his OmniCannon out, Ambuscade was nothing but a grease smear!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

3A:  First turn Profane Summons bad enough, second turn Apocalypse and third turn imp pilferer meant all our cards were gone, even Fanatic's aegis.

Unity lived for five rounds after the others died, staying alive through their heals and her bots drawing Apostate's fire.  Pugilist ruined everything when he showed up.  Rooftop combat was vicious to us, and it took forever to get rid of it.

HEROES LOSE

Apostate was at 5hp at the end, had all of his relics in play.  Redeemer bot never got into play.

ConShonnery

Game 3A: No victor. Most heroes incapcitated, Scholar and Apostate locked in eternal battle.  Unless backup arrives...

Results: Scholar at some arbitrary health amount, other heroes incapacitated, Apostate at 1, an arbitrary number of relics in play.  I'll explain...

We thought we had no chance.  A first turn profane summons meant six relics were on the board before we got to move, and Apostate was punching us so hard the Scholar and Unity were almost half dead right off the bat.  Unity popped a relic for a bot, then drew the Redeemer bot which she was able to throw out turn two. Scholar started spouting proverbs and axioms to heal the group.  Fanatic got her flaming sword early on and was responsible for slaying imps and other foul creatures before they could cause too much harm.

Fanatic slowly withered two relics into oblivion as Unity amassed her golem army.  Scholar was so desperately trying to heal everyone that he wasn't doing much in the way of elementals.  As soon as the second relic went down, another profane summons occurred... with the special rule, now there were EIGHT relics on the board.  The group carried on.

Scholar manages to punch Apostate two turns in a row with his own infernal damage -- the card that makes it so Apostate can't deal damage for that turn.  This buys the group enough time to take down several more relics.  Fanatic takes out the imps and pugilists that keep popping up, but not the relic spirit -- no, we need to leave him alive, or the relics come back.

Another relic spirit shows up, but even with two of them, their healing power isn't enough to save the remaining relics as Unity now has two raptor bots, two platform bots, swift bot, the Redeemer bot, and more.  The last of the relics goes down as the group turns its eyes on Apostate, with his 40-something health remaining.

Environment turn.  Hostage situation.  Hero cards can't be played.  Bad, but not the end of the world: we've got Unity's army and Fanatic's sword.  It does mean Scholar can't do any damage this round, but that's probably okay, the heroes have this game on lock, right?

Villain turn. Apocalypse.  At the start of the next environment turn, destroy all non-relic, non-character cards in play.  And this card IS the end of the world, in the most literal sense.  Hero cards can't be played thanks to the hostage situation, and none of the heroes have anything to take out ongoings without playing a card.

So, how much damage can the heroes do in one round?  Unity does about 35, which is fantastic.  Scholar can't play cards and doesn't have any damage powers or elementals, so he does none.  Fanatic slashes with her sword for another 4 more.  But it's not enough -- a big ugly green "5" counter is left sitting on Apostate's card, glaring at us.

Environment turn.  Hostage situation ends, but the Apocalypse triggers.  Down go the two relic spirits, which bring the eight downed relics back into play.  Unity's bot army is blasted into oblivion, and the Scholar loses his protections.  The party is naked, and Apostate is fully armed to the teeth.

The Scholar, ever prepared, goes into full-on defense mode with two Flesh to Iron spells.  Apostate makes pretty quick work of the others.  The two remaining characters stare each other down.  Who will come out on top?

The game took too long for us to find out.  Neither of them would die.  Sure, an Apocalypse would slow Scholar down, but the two other characters letting him play cards made his defenses come back real quick.  By the end of the game, he had almost his whole library in his hand - by playing the Draw-5 card on another player's turn, he could effectively redraw any cards he ditched to elementals and played, keeping 3 elementals alive permanently and playing 3 cards a round (6 cards ditched: playing one card on each player's turn, and discarding 3 cards toe elementals, 6 cards gained: playing the draw-5 card on another player's turn, and drawing one card on his turn).  By playing his Draw-2 Heal-2 card, he could reach full health pretty quickly.

But, could he do any damage if all of his elementals are devoted to keeping him alive?  He has two plays left (one is dedicated to drawing 5 cards).  With all the relics and a few environment targets in play, Grace-Under-Fire (I think that's the card) was letting him blast for 11 or 12, which could one shot most of the relics.  With both Grace's guaranteed in his hand each round, that's 2 relics down per round, though in later rounds it takes multiple shots to take them out.  By then, Apostate has almost always pulled another Apocalypse-relic spirit combo or dropped another Profane Summons (and since the Profane Summons variant doesn't care whether the relic is in discard or deck, there was no real timing that could benefit Scholar).

So, he could never really gain the edge, but with 6 DR he never really took more than 1 damage at a time that he could easily handle.  We think there is probably some nasty combination of cards in order that could kill him off, but it's highly unlikely, as is the oppposite (the perfect storm or drawing all profane summons in a row and having time to finish off all the relics).

By the time we decided to end the game, Scholar had a steady HP of about 11, kept in check by various environment cards attacking him and Condemnation and themselves.  But he wasn't going down anytime soon, and neither was Apostate.  As far as we're concerned, he needs backup to arrive, otherwise he and Apostate are locked in eternal conflict on the rooftops of Megalopolis.

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Epic report, ConShonnery. What a great story.

...yeah, me too.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Results for 3A

Hero loss

Apostate was on 2HP

It was all going fine until Apocalypse killed a Relic Spirit and brought back a load of Relics.

And when I say fine I mean Apostate killed Fanatic on turn one, huzzah for the Aegis.

What a horrible start to the 3 series.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

ConShonnery

Thanks! I'm just glad someone actually read it after I typed that whole thing out.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Results for 3B

Hero victory!

Far too close for comfort, Visionary 1 HP, Tempest 2 HP, Nightmist 0 HP.

Two Phosphorescent Chambers meant heroes were discarding all their cards as fast as they could draw them. But thanks to a Demoralization and Electrical Storm they were still able to keep up the pounding on poor old Gloomweaver.

Only 4 environment cards came out before he succumbed to the inevitable (and one of those was from a reoccurring pin).

All in all little to no decisions on what to be played made for a poor game (not the fault of the scenario).

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Results for 3C

Another hero loss.

Reducing damage by 2 to villain targets and getting smacked back for 7 evertime you hit the Chairman was the end, it was just too tough to counter.

Chairman ended the fight on a healthy on 20HP, the Operative was dead, and so was everyone else.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

How was Redeemer Bot in the first game, and the Ennead in this one?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Redeemer Bot never came out, so it had no impact on the game.

The Ennead mostly took hits rather than being useful because of their abilities (though they probably bought us a couple of turns), the bigger change was the problems that came from the steady flow of healing and damage the Chairman was dishing out.

ConShonnery

Game 3B: Heroes win!

Results: Tempest 7, Visionary 13, Nightmist 14.  Gloomweaver 0.

I unfortunately missed this game as I worked from home to avoid getting others sick, but here is the writeup from my teammate:

Gloomweaver threw out some early Cultists and things were looking a little grim… until the Heroes took their turns! Initial Cultists and Zombies were quickly wiped out by and the deck was stacked to slow any further Cultists appearing. From that point on each thing Gloomweaver tried to play was dealt with as they appeared.

In the end the 2 Pins and 1 of the 2 discovered Relics were buried in Phosphorescent Chambers and a Mystical Defense, leaving Gloomweaver beaten and bloody (0 health, down from 90!) with Tempest (7 health), Visionary (13 health) and Nightmist (14) victorious!

ConShonnery

Game 3C: Heroes win after a very long, drawn-out slugfest

Results: Haka 2, Mr. Fixer 2, Ra 4, Expatriette 9, Wraith 9, Osiris 4, Nephthys incapacitated.  Chairman incapcitated, Operative incapacitated (with extreme prejudice).

The first turn started off with the Broker and the Muscle, meaning we had Informants and Enforcers to deal with right out of the gate.  The Enforcers pummeled Nephthys hard, since she didn't have a player to discard a card for her (we weren't sure how to rule this one, so ruled against our favor).  Fortunately Ra was our first hero and was able to blast the Informant before she caused any damage, but the rest of the group were not getting strong damage cards, and we only managed to take out the Broker.  Osiris blasted away the Enforcers, but the Muscle was still alive, so the Enforcers put the smack down on Nephthys.  She didn't last much longer.

Then, of course, Advanced-mode Chairman flipped, and so using any all-target damage meant taking a lot of pain, and the Operative had health in the 30s.  She kept bringing out Underbosses, and without AoE damage, Osiris was probably our MVP, taking them out before they caused too much pain.  But we could never deal enough damage to both get rid of immediate threats and bring the Operative's health down, so she stayed out there, hitting us everytime we took somebody down.

Fortunately, Wraith got an early-game Infrared Eyepiece and was watching for the dreaded Prison Breaks.  But when the deck was running thin, we decided we needed to get them over with.

Mr. Fixer used his Grease Gun and we went for the Prison Break, dodging all their damage for a turn. That turn, Tony Taurus also popped up, so we were able to manipulate the deck even further.  We took down the Informants and Thieves, who could harm us even when their friends couldn't, and coaxed out the second Prison Break, when it wouldn't do anything.  Haka laid down two Ground Pounds in a row, finally being useful after pretty much sitting in his corner, healing himself and drawing cards.

Within a few turns, we had all the minions taken out, and were just left with the Operative and Chairman when we got the trash to flip into the deck.  That made things much easier, as Underbosses who can't summon Thugs really aren't that tough.  We also finally got some damage going, with Wraith laying down projectile fire, Expat rocking the tactical shotgun, Mr. Fixer going to town, and Ra doing the damage he always does.  We ended the game with an Unload for about 9, Haka of Battle for 13, and Inventory Barrage for 12.

It was slow and rough; we had to do everything defensive we could because we couldn't get the offense to take down Underbosses and the Operative.  But in the end, we got there.  Nephthys didn't last long enough to do us much good other than save us from discarding cards, but Osiris was our man the whole game; it was fun figuring out whose health to knock down so Osiris could finish them off, and he took a beating for us, too.

ConShonnery

Also, Pydro, I think you get credit for a couple of sales.  I don't have Ambuscade or Silver Gulch, and told one of my coworkers (there's a large group of us at the office that play, and a smaller number doing this campaign) that we would miss the fourth scenario this week as a result.  Five minutes later he had them both ordered with two day shipping so we could make sure to complete all the scenarios wink

My teammates also have the theory that you are sitting in your room, playing all combinations of heroes and villains to find the absolute craziest things that can happen in a game (such as our Scholar/Apostate deadlock), and then throwing them at us to see how many teams run into them.  How far off are they?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

ConShonnery wrote:

Also, Pydro, I think you get credit for a couple of sales.  I don't have Ambuscade or Silver Gulch, and told one of my coworkers (there's a large group of us at the office that play, and a smaller number doing this campaign) that we would miss the fourth scenario this week as a result.  Five minutes later he had them both ordered with two day shipping so we could make sure to complete all the scenarios winkMy teammates also have the theory that you are sitting in your room, playing all combinations of heroes and villains to find the absolute craziest things that can happen in a game (such as our Scholar/Apostate deadlock), and then throwing them at us to see how many teams run into them.  How far off are they?

I think that scenario was created specifically for me to be able to play it, as I've got the core set, Unity, Ambuscade, and Silver Gulch. I've been locked out of the last several scenarios, and lamenting the fact.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I won't disagree with that, but it did give me a way to do some other things...

EDIT: To be fair, I planned on using Ambuscade earlier, but Blade had to win that first game. 3D is the easiest game this week (by far), but I really like my idea for next week.

I have seen the Scholar draw some draws, but that wasn't the purpose. I wanted both of the mini-expansion in that game, and I wanted a new bot to fuel the Scholar. I really liked the idea of destroying relics (even with the cost), but it would be way too easy to destroy them. So, I needed Apostate to have a way to bring them out faster. Also, any DR in 3 player Apostate game can be very beneficial, so I needed to buff him up to (H) = 5 to even have a chance to overcome the Scholar with Redeemer Bot. I guess that means that it could also be a draw.

I think I put way to much thought into this campaign.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Game 3D: Heroes win, Bunker incapped. Legacy had 4, Tachyon had 3, AZ had 6.

Bunker started with no gear cards, and didn't get any until after getting an Ammo Drop out on turn 3. He did some useful environment control at one point, but other than his turn 1 External Combustion never had a chance to deal damage.

Zero mostly played tank, since he started with 3 NPCUs and a Modular Realignment. Most of the damage he dealt was via an early-ish Cold Snap and a later Impale.

Tachyon & Legacy both had starting hands that were OK but unmemorable. The explosives wagon going kablooey was what took Bunker out.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hero victory, now in 3d!

Legacy 16HP, Tachyon 15HP, Absolute Zero 10HP, Bunker 15HP, Chrono-Ranger 12HP

So much bonus damage! Every turn there was extra damage, first card played was Charged Attacks, quickly followed by 2 Explosive Wagons and By any means; Galvanize just added to the insanity.

It only took 4 rounds of continual beatdown to deal with Ambuscade, even with a Personal Cloaking Device starting in play and the reduced damage thanks to advanced mode and 2 Reactive Platings!

AZ had Cold Snap and Impale out, all the bonuses made him man of the match, any devices that came out got eaten pretty swiftly.

ConShonnery

Just giving you a hard time, we don't really think you're trying to mess with us wink

I actually enjoyed the Apostate game very much; though the Hostage Situation - Apocalypse was incredibly frustrating, that was just sheer bad luck. The relic mechanic made for some very interesting choices, and our Unity player had a lot of fun with it. That game also had the added dramatic effect of our playing it in almost darkness... the power went out in the studio while we were working, and one of my coworkers runs over and goes "Since the power is out... sentinels?"

Unable to get any work done without our computers, we agreed this was a fantastic idea, we found one of the emergency lights by one of the exits, crammed a table near it, and played that game.  (Everbody else in the studio went home about a half hour later, but we stayed and attempted to play that one out).

I also really liked the BB in Atlantis game.  Having to take down so many environment cards really changed the way we thought about the game.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

3A: Hero loss

Apostrate: 11

Condemnation: 11

Relic Spirit: 7

Periapt of Woe: 4

Unity: 0

Fanatic: 0

Scholar: 0

Unity burned through her health fast, using Bot-Hack to destroy the Tome, Effigy and Runes, but this left her vulnerable to when she bedcame the highest HP and was immediately crushed.

Fanatic stayted on three health most of the game, but the turn she flipped, Apoaste crushed her immediately.

The Scholar held on a little longer but only had one flesh to iron in play, wehich he'd had since the start, so was gradualyl whittled down and finally killed.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Scenario 3A:

Hero win; Scholar=5, Fanatic=6, Unity=8

Bot-Hack took down 4 relics in the first 4 turns, and no more relics were willing to show their faces after that. Fanatic managed to land an 8-point Sacrosanct Matyr (including Rooftop and Nemesis bonuses) right before it was time for the Aegis to pick her up anyway, so that was fun.

Scenario 3B:

Hero win; Visionary=7, Tempest=12, Nightmist=21

What? You say the trash has 5 zombies in it and nothing else? Sure, I'll do a Brain Burn. (That was easy...)

Scenario 3C:

Hero win; Haka=2, Nepthys/Osiris=3 each, all other heroes incapacitated

Boy, but this one was rough. Smoke Bombs was the hero it always is. Jack Handle/Overdrive saved our asses after a couple of Prison Breaks, and Haka eventually managed to eat four of the underbosses before we got the Operative flipped with the Chairman down below 20hp. Everyone's health was in the single digits, but we had enough damage on standby between Unload, Salvage Yard (w/ Overdrive), and Inventory Barrage to seemingly guarantee victory within the next round no matter what The Organization did. Woohoo! Amiright? 

Oh, what's that, Blighted Streets? Scary, but we'll manage. Now let's shuffle the villain trash and see what comes out on top. A Hired Gun??? Nooooooo!! "'X' on this card = "? Nooooooooooooooo!!

Pride (though not always Prejudice) cometh before the fall. By the end of the villain turn everybody except Haka and the Egypto-Frenemies lay bleeding on the museum floor. Schieße! So much for that idea - the Chairman's retaliation damage would finish Haka off as soon as he touched him. Oh well, we tried... 

Mr. Fixer uses his incap than let Haka draw a card and then... What did you say you drew? Grooouuund Pooouuund!? 

yes

...yeah, me too.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

2B: Hero Loss

GloomWeaver: 48

Grimoire of Curses: 13 (the second time)

Chosen Disciple: 4

Chosen Disciple: 4

Sable Pin: 7

Cursed Acolyte: 4

Visionary: 0

Tempest: 0

NightMist: 0

The Kraken: 13

Bloody self-destructing environment cards. Five out of six environment cards revealed either destroyed themselves or was the bloody poillars which we couldn't allow to survive.

NightMist got pinned and couldn't handlt the nemesises damage. Then the Acolytes pounded on the weakeend heroes and wiped them out. Bad environment draw really favoured Gloomy this time out.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

2C: Hero win

Chaiman: 0

Opertive: 0

Nephthys@ 6

Osiris: 5

Haka: 2

Ra: 4

Wraith: 0

Mister Fixer: 0

Expatriette: 0

Chariman flipped at the start of turn 2

A timely Rampage into Savage Mana, which was then used to devastating effect to take down the Operative (although tyhe retaliation damage fuelling it almost killed us) The heroes were immune thanks to a Flesh of the Sun God/Imbued Fire combo.

Then the Chairman's retaliation finished off Fixer, who had been holding him down with Hoist Chains. With a need to finish this before the -1 wore off, Expatriette shpt Pike in the face but was pummeled down in return. He then hit the Wraith at the start of his turn, but her martial arts empowered by the Sun burned only to have him still take her down.

With only Haka and Ra standing, and then only barely, Haka began his haka of battle, discarding his hand of 7 cards to club Chairman P{ike with his mere and defeat him.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

4D: Hero win

Ambuscade: 0

Legacy: 12

Tachyon: 14

Absolute Zero: 5

Bunker: 16

Chrono-Ranger: 12

Explosives Wagon: 6

Two reactive platings at the start proved immensely frustrating, but the heroes whittled them down, aided by AZ ignoring the pain of Ambuscade's Explosives Launcherto Coolant Blast and Frost-Bound Drain and by Cryus Hayes shooting them repeatedly. It took Jim a while to get his bounties out but when he did, they included By any Means and Ultimate Target so Ambuscade, who had three traps active somewher in his deck was slaughtered with the Explosives Wagon, Legacy, Inspiring Presence nad the Bounties easily overcoming his DR. AZ got the final blow after two Light Speed Barrages had reduced Ambuscade to one hit point.

ConShonnery

Game 3D: Heroes win!

Results: Absolute Zero 18, Chrono Ranger 15, Tachyon 12, Legacy 12, Bunker 14.  Ambuscade destroyed.

The match started with a cloaking device, the cannon, and some turrets.  The heroes were able to ramp damage up pretty quickly and take them out.  Tachyon had an early Supersonic Assault that stopped the devices in their tracks, AZ was impaling Ambuscade every turn once the cloaking device was down, and Legacy was an Inspiring Presence early on, so damage was high.

Bunker got a Flak Cannon out first turn and started blasting, then proceeded to just lob Adhesive Foam Grenades at the old western buildings for the next 3(!) rounds.  The fine folks of Silver Gulch were probably rather terrified.

Ambuscade kept trying to play more devices, but Chrono Ranger's bounties kept them in check - whenever one went down, another went with it.  With Chrono Ranger going last of the heroes, Ambuscade's Sonic Mine was actually detrimental to him because Chrono Ranger got to collect a bounty on it for 3 cards when he shot it.

Legacy eventually joined the rumble with backfist punches to Ambuscade's face, AZ and Bunker did their usual blasting, and Tachyon double light-speed barraged at the end.  Some nice chain shooting from Chrono was enough to seal Ambuscade's fate.

Fun, straightforward game after the brutal slugfest that is Advanced Chairman.  Looking forward to next week!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Game 3D: Heroes win!

Results: Legacy 0, Tachyon 16, Bunker 6, Chrono-ranger 14, Absolute Zero 21. Ambuscade destroyed.

The match started with the cloaking device, the explosive launcher, a turret, and the cloak. It quickly turned into a high-damage game, with the Explosives Wagon coming out. Bunker got rapidly reduced by all the damage to the lowest hero target, but just managed to survive (down to 1HP at one point). Legacy got taken out after he did a Heroic Interception and the Explosives Wagon blew up, then blowing up the Sonic Mine. But everyone else survived. On the last turn, Tachyon did not play the two Lightspeed Barrages in her hand, just so Bunker and AZ would have more chances to heal.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chapter 4 - The Moon's Curse

Chapter 4A - The Mist's Curse

Tempest: Well, that takes care of him. Anyone up for sushi?

NIghtmist: We stopped him true, but these Ruins are still exposed. Anyone can come here and summon him again.

Visionary: So you think we should go after it.

Nightmist: I can open a door to the Mists. If we can find him, we can make sure he never comes back. We weakened him enough that destroying it might not be a problem. However, in the past, I have bound other beings into the Mist, and they might be a problem. We are going to need help.

Visionary: Wait here, I'll get Helena.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in Megalopolis...

Apostate: *Staring at the heroes on the ground* Now we can talk.

Fanatic: I have nothing to say to you.

Apostate: You know we are a lot alike.

Fanatic: We are nothing alike.

Apostate: *Picking up Fanatic by the throat* Sure we are.

Fanatic: Kill me already.

Apostate: I have no intention of killing you. *He moves towards Unity and the Scholar.*

Fanatic: It's me you want. Leave them alone.

Apostate: I have no intention of hurting her. *His hand glows, and the energy flows into Unity and the Scholar.* That should ease their pain.

Fanatic: What did you do to them!

Apostate: I was helping her.

Fanatic: Lies! You are nothing but lies!

Apostate: Am I, or does the idea of me having mercy and compassion scare you. If I can have mercy and compassion, you can have hatred and destruction. We will meet again. *Apostate flies off.*

Visionary: *Landing next to Fanatic* What happened?

Fanatic: He let us go? I don't know why.

Visionary: *Closes her eyes and concentrates, after a few moments she opens them again.* Something worth considering, but not now. We need your help back at the Ruins.

Unity: Great, let's go.

Visionary: Not you. They need you in Megalopolis.

Unity: *Grumbling* It better be another fight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmist: Great everyone's here. *She closes her eyes, and a portal opens before her.* Be warned. In the Mists, reality can be...distorted.

*The heroes enter the portal.*

Tempest: *Pointing at Gloomweaver* There he is, let's finish him.

Voss: Well, well, well. The witch has returned. *as he is talking, the void between Gloomweaver and the heroes fill with minions.* This time I am ready for you.

Back in the Ruins, a woman is going over the bodies of the slain cultist. However, one is still alive.

Woman: Your master is gone, but not his power.

Cursed Acolyte: *Struggling to stand.* How?

Woman: There is another way to summon his power, a Ronway.

Setup

Villains: Voss, Gloomweaver.

-Only Voss will have a villain deck.

-Put Gloomweaver's character card into play on any side (pick the picture you like), and give him his max hp.

-Gloomweaver only has the following ability:

Whenever a minion is destroyed, put a Sliver Zombie into play.

-Take out all of the Zombies in Gloomweaver's deck, and put them aside. This cards will never go into Voss's deck. If they would be destroyed, put them pack out of play.

-The Zombies are Sliver Zombies, and inn addition to their current abilities and hp, they have to additional abilities:

1) Sliver Zombies are also relics.

2) Sliver Zombies are immune to any damage type that an active minion is immune to. For           example, if there are 3 minions in play, one is immune to fire damage, one psychic, and one           projectile, all Sliver Zombies in play are immune to fire, psychic, and projectile damage.

-If Gloomweaver is destroyed, immediately destroy all Sliver Zombies.

Heroes (in any order): Fanatic, Scholar, Visionary, Tempest, Nightmist. All at max hp.

Environment: Realm of Discord

Results to Note

-The final hp of each hero and villain (Voss and Gloomweaver).

Results due by Saturday, November 16, 11:59 PM CST

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chapter 4B - The Wererat's Curse

*As Ambuscade goes down, he is suddenly surrounded by F.I.L.T.E.R. agents who take him away.*

Chrono-Ranger: Con, we got things wrapped up here.

Con: Great, get back here, things are getting weird.

*A portal opens and the heroes go through, appearing at the Rook City Muesum.*

Chrono-Ranger: *His device starts beeping* It's here!

Mr. Fixer: What's here?

Chrono-Ranger: I'll explain on the way. Where is the industrial Complex.

Expatriette: *Reloads her guns." I'll show you.

*Expatriette, Mr. Fixer, Chrono-Ranger and Tachyon, head out of the museum.*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worker #1: Sure is a big moon out tonight. I hope there aren't any werewolves.

Worker #2: You know there are no such things.

Those were the last words they ever said.

Setup

Villains: Advance Plague Rat

Heroes (in any order): Expatriette (24 hp), Mr. Fixer (22 hp), Chrono-Ranger, and Tachyon

Environment: Pike Industrial Complex

Results to Note

-The final hp of each hero and villain.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chapter 4C - The Baron's Curse

1883, just after the heroes left.

Woman: Professor, Professor!

Professor: Yes, Ma'am.

Woman: Do you know what happened here. *Picking up some devices left over from the battle.* Or what this is?

Professor: *Studying the objects closely.* I will admit, you have some strange things in America. We have nothing like this is Lithuania.

Woman: *handed him all of the devices left behind.* Maybe you can study these. Maybe you can make something useful.

Professor: Perhaps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present day.

Wraith: There is some sort of sommotion in Megalopolis. Some sort of robot is destroying everything.

Legacy: Where is Devra.

Wraith: Megalopolis.

Legacy: Tyler, Maia, you are with me. Let's see what is going on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Megalopolis a giant robot is destroying the city, using turrets and mines.

Legacy: Those look like Ambuscade equipment. Devra, what did you do.

Unity: I didn't do it. I mean that is really cool, but I didn't do it. Although,  I could use that stuff for a new bot...

Wraith: First, destroy that thing, then build something new. Something with a little more...empathy.

Setup

Villains: Advanced Omnitron, Ambuscade

-Only use Omnitron's deck and character card. However, take out all of the devices from Ambuscade deck, and shuffle them into Omnitron's.

-Any text that would say "Ambuscade" now says Omnitron.

-The following ability is added to both sides of Omnitron's character card:

Whenever one of Ambuscade's devices enters play, play the top card of the villain deck.

Heroes (in any order): Legacy (31 hp), Bunker, Unity, Wraith (22 hp).

Environment: Megalopolis

Results to Note

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chapter 4D - The Earth's Curse

back at the museum, filter agents appear and take the Chariman and Operative away. A few minutes later, they take Osiris, Nephthys, and Nuit.*

Osiris: Not us, we were helping. Let go, tell them to let us go.

*Before anyone could answer, they were gone.*

Ra: Anyone else feel left out?

*The Ground beneath Rook City begins to shake.*

Haka: What was that?

Argent Adept: That was Mother Earth. The larger moon is causing disruptions all over the globe. She is trying to set things right. I could use a little help.

Haka: *Looking at Ra* Still feel left out?

Ra: Shut up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the room clear, a mysterious woman walks and takes the forgotten treasures.

Setup

Villain: Akash'bhuta

Heroes (in any order): Argent Adept, Ra (22 hp), Haka (22 hp), Absolute Zero

Environments (in this order): Rook City, Pike Industrial Complex, Insula Primas, Ruins of Atlantis, Megalopolis, Final Wasteland

-If a deck runs out of cards, don't shuffle back in. Instead remove all of that environment's card not in play from the game, and proceed to the next environment. If the Final Wastesland runs out of cards, then shuffle the trash to make the new deck.

Results to Note

-How many environment cards were destroyed from each deck. For example, i might say: all of Rook CIty, Pike Industrial Complex and 7 cards from Insula Primas.

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlock's Results:  4B!  (Yes, I'm doing 4B before 4A--deal with it.)

Did the Heroes Win?  Yes.

Final Hero HP Totals:  Expatriette [11]; Fixer [Incapacitated]; Chrono-Ranger [7], Tachyon [4]

This was a very fast, hard-hitting match.  Unfortunately for fixer, Plague Rat's first card targeted the lowest HP Hero, so he ended up Incapped in the last round we played.  Chrono-Ranger was the star of the match, with a great opening hand and 4 bounties on the table.  He dealt nearly 1/3 of Plague Rat's health in his last turn (the winning turn), thanks to a well-timed Hunter and Hunted with 4 bounties out.

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlock's Results:  4C!

Did the Heroes Win?  Nooooo.  Not even close.

Final Hero HP Totals?  All heroes Incapacitated.  Omnitron at 90+ hp, with something like 12 devices in play.

This one wasn't even close.  I played it twice and got absolutely nowhere.  Omnitron chained Device after Device into one another.  I conceded my first game after he pulled 2 consecutive Explosives plus a bunch of Ambusacde's items, then tried again.  My second round ended with a Railgun, a DisintegrationRay, an Explosive, two Sonic Mines, several Drones, two Hand Cannons, and an Explosive launcher staring me in the face.  

In all honesty?  I don't see a good way to win this one.  There's just too many cards that chain off of one another to actually make any headway.  If the text read "The first time Omnitron reveals a Device card, play the top card of the Villain deck", that would be a fair challenge.  This...nope.  No way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PlatinumWarlock's Replay Results:  4C!

Did the Heroes Win?  Yes, in a nailbiter!

Final Hero HP Totals?  Legacy [3]; Wraith [1]; Unity [7]; Bunker [3]

Whew!  So close.  I was staring at least one of Ambuscade's devices in the face on the final turn and was unable to use powers, thanks to Paparazzi on the Scene!  I was, at one point, on my way to a pretty easy victory, but a badly-timed Technological Singularity wiped out  all of Wraith's and Bunker's equipment, heinously tearing down my hit points.  Legacy had been running Galvanize/Legacy Ring/Motivational Charge nearly all game long, and Wraith had a pretty solid starting hand as well, so that Singularity hurt!  

However, Unity had a Powered Shock Wave in hand which dealt just enough damage to take out Omnitron's last 6 hp and take out his last two devices (which included one of Ambuscade's Sonic Mines...definitely saved until last!)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Stupid phone, it is too hard to go through my thought process on the tiny keyboard, but here is an alternative.
Whenever one of Ambuscade devices enter play, play the top card of the villain deck.

PlatinumWarlock

PlatinumWarlock's Results:  4D!

Did the Heroes Win?  Yes.

Final Hero HP Totals:  Argent Adept [3]; Haka [8]; Ra [5]; Absolute Zero [13]

Environment Trash:   13 Rook City cards.  None from any other deck.

This one was close, but I had Absolute Zero rolling on all cylinders, with two Impales, his full array of Equipment, and Thermal Shockwaves healing him up every round.  Ra contributed some healthy damage and Adept managed to aid in the setup, but I didn't manage to get any healing cards out until the very end of the match, so keeping him alive was difficult.  Overall, not too shabby!

Ra's Excavation managed to put 2 cards back under the Rook City deck, so that was a help, as well!

PlatinumWarlock

Pydro wrote:

Stupid phone, it is too hard to go through my thought process on the tiny keyboard, but here is an alternative.
Whenever one of Ambuscade devices enter play, play the top card of the villain deck.

Would you like me to replay and resubmit, given this change?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sure.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So the new way worked out? I will go back and change the scenarios.

PlatinumWarlock

Yes, the revision was MUCH more fair--it made for a challenging, tense match that was winnable. The earlier version was just way too heinous.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Chapter 4C: Hero victory

Legacy 4 HP; Wraith 3 HP; Bunker 7 HP and Unity 4 HP -- Unity & Wraith would have been incapped  by the sonic mine detonation that ended the game if I hadn't realized I could deal with things in a different order because Cryo Bot WAS able to do the last 3 HP of damage to Omnitron.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Does this round need more time?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I've had no time to play the living campaign this week

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ok, I will hold off on updating this for a little while.

ConShonnery

Been busy here too, the extra time would be appreciated, unless others are itching for the next round :)

We have win results for Akash and Voss/Gloomweaver, but I left the actual numbers at the office.  We had miserable draws against Plague Rat (Infection + Rampage + Affliction Frenzy) and were hoping to try that matchup again; haven't had a chance to play Omnitron yet.

Pages