The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Sidekick for iPad & iPhone & Android

321 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looking forward to trying this and enjoyed the interview.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Bug report:  I see the update has G.I. Bunker, but G.I. Bunker has no art.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The official artwork for G.I. Bunker and America's Greatest Legacy will be available when the cards are released. We included them in Sidekick anyway so that people can play them.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Is that made clear somewhere in the app?  'cause it just looks like a bug when you're using it.  :)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Not really, but we could add it to the app description and/or in the help screen somewhere. It'll be a moot point in February though =)

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We added a note to the app description, since we can update that without a new version. Thanks for the sharp eye!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Aaron Stark wrote:

Awesome stuff.  The one thing I think could make this feature better is a way to add universal modifiers, such as all environment targets or all of a single type of damage.  This coud work by adding the notes to an area off the cards, if that's even possible.

I thought of a place for that! You can add notes to the Environment itself and they display on screen. So there you go =)

Kingofsouls

This is really awesome. However, i must ask, as a Kindle user, do you have any plans of gettign this for us Android users?I understand that Android uses a different language so it might take a while for this to actually happen. If it does happen I would gladly get this for my Kindle ASAP and I would love you forever if you guys did this.

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Kingofsouls

Yes, such plans exist. :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

*Does the Snoopy dance at his desk*

*Co-workers look at him oddly... (Although that's not uncommon.)*

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

*Co-workers look at him oddly... (Although that's not uncommon.)*

May I suggest you stop wearing your Ra costume to work...Nevermind, it is well worth it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ha! I wish I could get away with that. I get weird enough looks as it is. I'm in a very conservative environment where the fact I attend Gen Con is looked down on. angry Luckily, I've learned to channel my frustration of the abuse to point out the idiocy of their anti-geek attitudes and biases. angel

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

grim88

There's no way to run this on pc?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

No, Sentinels Sidekick is currently only available for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

We're working on a few interesting things though..

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

The best thing in that post is the thing they didn't say (says the guy who just bought an Android-based smartphone and is eyeing up a Google tablet).

Even still, the peer-to-peer connectivity looks awesome.  Great job, guys!

Martinh

While I wasn't looking my iPhone downloaded the new version with all those cool features. Can't wait to try them

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Awesome update!! With this peer-to-peer connectivity I think a good feature to add would be to be able to zoom in to a specific player (unless there already is a way and I can't find it). That way I can have the entire game up on the iPad in the center, but only my hero showing in front of my on my iPhone. 

Martinh

jagarciao wrote:

Awesome update!! With this peer-to-peer connectivity I think a good feature to add would be to be able to zoom in to a specific player (unless there already is a way and I can't find it). That way I can have the entire game up on the iPad in the center, but only my hero showing in front of my on my iPhone. 

+1

BrotherDusk
BrotherDusk's picture

Hey MigrantP, love the app and the newest update.  I sing your praises to all my friends; I basically can't play this game anymore without my ipad nearby, it removes so much of the fiddly bits and lets the theme shine through!  Before the new notes keypad, we would place the status markers on top of the ipad itself, which got pretty silly.  No more of that! :D

Just a few minimal suggestions for the next update, as long as we have your ear:

1. If you placed the gear/options button alongside the sentinels logo (to the right or left), there would be more room for managing hero targets without scrolling within that tiny playspace currently below the gear.  I know a few Unity fans who would love some more room down there.

2. Same with environment targets, but the extra space isn't so obviously found over there.  Maybe you could do a zoom-in effect like iOS 7 does in its app drawers?

3. Or to solve them both, (and to incidentally encourage app sales) you could allow users to assign a whole device (say an iphone) to handling just the environment, or just the villian via the new connectivity feature!  Then the villian would disappear from the main device and more space opens up on that screen for environment and hero targets.  That would be super cool, because I have a friend who tends to watch the villian's various effects and damages primarily, while another watches the hero's.  Right now they both just poke at the ipad, which ends in disfiguring slapfights.

Otherwise everything is amazing, and I can't wait to support you guys by upgrading with a "targets art" in-app purchase!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Great ideas everyone! Since this is the first iteration of the nearby game feature we wanted to get it out there and see how people are using it, before making major UI changes around it. I like the ideas of allowing the UI to focus on certain things. We'll be gathering in everyone's feedback for future changes, so keep it coming!

BrotherDusk
BrotherDusk's picture

Just downloaded the mini-update, and I wanted to say thanks for hearing my suggestion on moving the gear upward to free up more space for hero targets!  Looks great. :D

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You're welcome, it was a good idea and was easy to do in a mini update =)

Happy Thoughts

Once again, you guys have come up with a feature I didn't know I needed, and now won't play without if I can help it. The multi-device synchronization is really slick and saves a lot of neck-craning at the table! We happily bought a second copy of the app because of that.

Also, my buddy called me at almost 10:00 p.m. the other night, which is unusually late for old fogeys like me. My first thought was, "Uh oh, there must be an emergency!" Nope, he just noticed the latest update, saw the networking feature, and simply couldn't wait to geek out about it with me. :)

I can't believe I used to play with physical dice on each card...

Nod_Hero
Nod_Hero's picture

Happy Thoughts wrote:
I can't believe I used to play with physical dice on each card...

I know, right! A couple of nights ago we accidentially left the iPad off the charger and when we went to play a game of #SotMv we didn't bother with it because we didn't want to drag out all the dice and markers, lol.

grim88

Has anyone tried using this with an IOS 7 emulator?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

grim88 wrote:

Has anyone tried using this with an IOS 7 emulator?

Such things exist? Must check that out!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Happy Thoughts wrote:

Once again, you guys have come up with a feature I didn't know I needed, and now won't play without if I can help it. The multi-device synchronization is really slick and saves a lot of neck-craning at the table! 

When I first learned about the new Multipeer Connectivity framework in iOS 7, I also geeked out and couldn't wait to add it to Sidekick =). I'm glad you're enjoying the feature! Be sure to let us know if you have any problems with it.

I'm not exactly sure what an "iOS 7 emulator" is supposed to be, but cursory Google searching indicates it's probably some sort of virus people are spreading around.

grim88

Some developers at work use one for developing our apps. They thought there may be some free ones out there.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

When developing iOS apps, you use the iOS simulator. It cannot run apps from the App Store, only in-development apps from Xcode.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

jagarciao wrote:

Yes!!  Thank you for adding the zoom ability!! and the target artwork is amazing. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it, it's great for playing Unity especially.

Here's our blog post about the update: http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/12/3/a-zoom-with-a-view-sidekick-22

Android users take note =)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo! Looking forward to having Sidekick on my phone and Kindle! laugh (Assuming it works on the Kindle. Stupid Amazon... frown)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Speaking of Kindle, will this be available at all outside of Play?  While I don't have a Kindle, I also don't have a Google account, and have no desire to get one (in fact, I am against the idea of ever getting one, final decision, I'm not here to explain myself, and no arguments will persuade me otherwise).  I'm assuming you will charge for this app, which will limit where it can be obtained.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Lateralis
Lateralis's picture

TheJayMann wrote:

Speaking of Kindle, will this be available at all outside of Play?  While I don't have a Kindle, I also don't have a Google account, and have no desire to get one (in fact, I am against the idea of ever getting one, final decision, I'm not here to explain myself, and no arguments will persuade me otherwise).  I'm assuming you will charge for this app, which will limit where it can be obtained.

honestly, we hadnt yet considered this. We've had an app on both play and amazon before but it was a free app, so we didn't have to deal with how amazon messes with people's pricing. as far as kindle, it will really depend on their android compatibility.

consider this confirmation that I will now look deeper into it. At the very least, it will definitely be launching on play, and we'll work out the options for other distribution as soon as we can. we'd love to have it available as widely as possible.

One of the makers of Sentinels Sidekick and Sentinels Digital
http://sentinelsdigital.com
http://handelabra.com

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

FYI: Kindle Fire HD doesn't work with Google Play (without hacking it and voiding the warrantee, which I'm tempted to do, at this point ), so having a way to make it available outside of Google Play would be great.

Honestly, though, if you don't find a way to do that, I'll probably just hack the stupid thing and be done with it...

Orphanleni
Orphanleni's picture
Playtester

I try to buy apps on the amazon app store as much as possible so that I can use them on both my android phone and my kindle fire.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Hmmm, I just tried to download the card art to my Sidekick App on my iPad and I got a strange message saying:

"This is not a Test User Account.  Please create a new account in the Sandbox Environment"

Anyone have any idea what that is all about?  Any ideas on how to fix it?

BrotherDusk
BrotherDusk's picture

jagarciao wrote:

Hmmm, I just tried to download the card art to my Sidekick App on my iPad and I got a strange message saying:"This is not a Test User Account.  Please create a new account in the Sandbox Environment"Anyone have any idea what that is all about?  Any ideas on how to fix it?

I would start by gathering a trowel, a bucket, and a number of those tiny flags for your sandcastle's parapets. (probably delete the app from your ipad, reinstall, then attempt to restore purchases)

As for everyone talking about various Android preferences... This is what you get when you are part of a fragmented environs like android. :/ Honestly as much as I hate apple for restricting certain features of their products (single app store, app approval process), they build a heck of a walled garden that makes things manageable for devs. 

PS: Loooooooove the new zoom feature. My ipad just became the "large display" that everyone will access with their smaller personalized devices. Anyone try this with the screen mirrored to an apple tv yet?  I would but I lack the hardware.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

jagarciao wrote:

Hmmm, I just tried to download the card art to my Sidekick App on my iPad and I got a strange message saying:"This is not a Test User Account.  Please create a new account in the Sandbox Environment"Anyone have any idea what that is all about?  Any ideas on how to fix it?

Weird, it's like it thinks you have a development version of the app. Try deleting and downloading the app again. You can also try going to Settings, iTunes & App Stores, and signing out of your account, and trying again.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

A quick 2.2.1 update is awaiting review and will bring the new December promo cards to Sidekick, just in time. Merry merry!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

And I say again, YAY!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

pyrofrog
pyrofrog's picture
Playtester

So, I've been waiting for months to ask.... How is Vengeance going to affect the sidekick app? Will there be a setting to take the extra villains and ridiculous number of villain targets into account? Or is there another plan? Also, the Sentinels?

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Any update on when the Android version might hit?

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

boxerboyhomer

broccoli wrote:

Any update on when the Android version might hit?

This

Dryden
Dryden's picture
Playtester

Great job guys the app is looking better and better!

pyrofrog
pyrofrog's picture
Playtester

Love the new update! But the Sentinels do not register for lowest life. Otherwise, awesome!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

As you guys have seen, the Vengeance update to Sidekick is available. We'll have a blog post up shortly with details, including a preview of the Android version! I'll be sure to post here when it hits.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Blog post is up, with details, screenshots, and an Android preview!

http://handelabra.com/blog/2014/2/10/another-helping-of-sidekick

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Just let me know when the Android version is ready, and my money will be yours.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Pages