The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Radio Play

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Radio Play

I decided to move this idea to its own thread (https://greaterthangames.com/comment/39244#comment-39244). We will need to wait for the legal department, but any ideas, interested people, etc. can post here.

EDIT: Instead of each person posting how they want to help, I made a spreadsheet. Please sign up under the column you would like to help with. If you want to be specific, add or change titles, please do so.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AidOKG-M_yQmdERvc0k5aE1GNUliaklyRmtoalhNQnc&usp=sharing

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Awesome! Registering my interest in this thread.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

As Reckless mentioned in the other thread, he has a pretty decent idea for a first episode that could introduce the primary players of the world and lead into a fight with BB. I'll let him share those details if he wants to.

Coming up with a script for a pilot episode should probably be the top priority, and then after that start auditioning for voice actors.

It'd be really cool if eventually all the SOTM characters could be used, but for now we should probably focus on the F5 and core set villains.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:

It'd be really cool if eventually all the SOTM characters could be used, but for now we should probably focus on the F5 and core set villains.

Well, it seems like we have a hell of a lot of interest, so it would probably be possible to use the large cast to our advantage and work on multiple episodes at once, using different groups of characters in each. As well as making more stuff, it would allow more people to be involved, and indeed allow everyone or almost everyone to listen to Sentinels radio plays with which they've had no involvement.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I like the idea Meerkat, but it will require multiple teams instead of one big team. We would need good coordination to pull it off, but that would be fun to do.

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

I don't think there would have to be that many teams. Assuming there are a fair number of writers (which it seems like the interest is there) they can work on multiple scripts if communication is open (if we're setting something up like a longer arc.) The recording was going to be neccesarily fractured because of geographic location anyway so there is no real change except in the magnitude of files.  The only multiple teams part are in directing and editing, and as with the writing, if communication is open and some conventions are set across the board, it should be relatively seamless. 

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

It would be cool to have multiple storylines that end up coming together for a big finale or even just interweave at random parts.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Count me in as a potential voice. I have some writing skill, but not the time to practice it, sadly. That relegates me to being non-creative.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It might still be possible to have multiple writiers working on the same one. We would need an overaal story, then divide it into acts and scenes. Each writer could then tackle a single scene.

With so many writers, it might be worth creating a quality control commitee, whose sole purpose is to make sure the script (names, personalities, etc.) are true to the source material.

Are we having a narrator? 

How about some fake commercials between acts?

We should probabvly consider some sound effects issues. What would Bunker and AZ sound like (they should probably have slightly different effects)? What sound do the different abilities have? It might be worth it to start thinking about this soon.

I have contacted Paul, and he is having their lawyers draw up a short thing (no commercial use, etc.). As soon as we have that, we can work on the specifics.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

You could definitely have multiple writers on one script, but if you have a different person writing every single scene you run the risk of it all ending up rather disjointed.

I think a narrator is a good idea, but that's just my opinion.

-Reckless

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

If we're going old-timey style a narrator is definitely appropriate, and if we're keeping true to a radio play format, we probably need a narrator to let the audience know what's happening. The characters won't always be able to say what they're doing or feeling.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I have a degree in Literature, so I could probably help with input/editing the script.  I've done some theatre over the years, and am about to finish a three month endeavor in a commercial voiceover class.  Hopefully someone can find something to do with my voice.  Do we have anyone with casting experience?  We really need an Andrea Romano for our project...

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Uhm... I don't know what to do.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

RIght now, we are just waiting for GtG's legal department. Once that is settled, we can start. Until then, I made a spreadsheet to sign up in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AidOKG-M_yQmdERvc0k5aE1GNUliaklyRmtoalhNQnc#gid=0

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

I'm guessing that writers are the ones that, well, write, and then the writing consultants do editing and such?

-Reckless

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

I'm guessing that writers are the ones that, well, write, and then the writing consultants do editing and such?

I think so. I wasn't sure what categories there should be and only put writires/actors/production. I mentioned that anyone who wants to can add/change the categories, and consultant was added in.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I saw the online spreadsheet file.  That's why I said that I don't know what to do.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Writing consultants can also possibly give good advice on where to take certain characters or scenes. Just like with movie critics, there are people who know a lot about writing, but can't really do it themselves.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Nielzabub wrote:

Writing consultants can also possibly give good advice on where to take certain characters or scenes. Just like with movie critics, there are people who know a lot about writing, but can't really do it themselves.

This.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Gordo1981

I'd like to listen, but not sure I have the voice/writing/know about things chops to really help out.

I Like this idea!

mehjbmeh
mehjbmeh's picture

Good luck everyone who works on this. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

What a fun plan! I do a lot of theatre work in my time, including a fair bit of voice acting on the internet (primarily fan projects, but oi, work is work). Unfortunately, my computer with most of my equipment is gone forever, so that is a major set back.

I've also done some script editing in college, so I wouldn't mind helping with that. As for writing proper, I can't be sure if I'd be up to the task, what with pre-established characters that have much more history and characterization than we've seen. I'd hate to do something 'wrong' with any of them.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That's much the same reason I've not volunteered to do writing - if I'm gonna write something, I want to be able to make up everything myself, not use characters and settings and stuff that someone else came up with - that's their stuff and I wouldn't want to mess around with it and, as you say, get stuff "wrong". But ordinarily, I love writing stuff - my ideal job would involve just that. So if someone else wants to come up with the script and stuff, I'm fine with attempting to voice a character ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

bobballvo
bobballvo's picture

I just saw that grysqrl on BoradGaming.com linked this to me - as a voice actor I'm intrigued.  Count me in.  

I think I'd make a great narrator.

https://soundcloud.com/bobballvo/bob-ball-clip-reel

If you want even more fun, try me on iTunes on an audio quiz show: PopQuizzical 

or on a dictionary improv game show: Word Rango

Bob Ball
Voice actor BobBallVO.com
host of quiz show PopQuizzical
& on improv show Word Rango

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Pydro is currently working on finalizing things with the Greater than Games legal team. When that's done, we'll hopefully be able to start casting voice actors. Did you make your sample clip yourself?

Wraith Unlimited

I love this idea, my wife always said I should try out for cartoon/ tv voice acting. I'll want to try out fot the voice acting stuff. I could even do a bunch a samples of the ones I'm interested in doing. 

I'm not sure how to add a line to put my name down to addition for the voice acting in the spread sheet.

Brightest day or Darkest night the wraith will stay and fight

bobballvo
bobballvo's picture

Nielzabub,

I did make the clip reel myself.  Something I quickly threw together for someone a few weeks back, comprised of some stuff I've done.

Bob Ball

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I brought it up because currently no one has signed up to help out with production for the project. If you could help out with production as well as provide a voice, it would probably be much appreciated.

bobballvo
bobballvo's picture

Nielzabub,

I'm not saying no, but I would need to know more of the overall scope and vision before I could assist in a production capacity.  (I stay pretty busy.)

Perhaps we could chat sometime on Skype after people with law degrees say "sure, tear it up with audio".

Bob Ball

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

UPDATE: Paul and he legal department have made up sometihng, and all I have to do is sign it. Nielzabub, with BlueHairedMeerkat's help, has already started working on the script, and we right now have a 5-episoded arc. Really. We have tons of parts, and it's about time for the consultants to start working.

You may have noticed that nobody has signed up for production. That's not so bad as it will take a long time. Instead of signing up for everything, it would be helpful if we broke it down. So if anybody knows a good program, please PM me (I think Foote said he had something). We could also use some help finding/making the sound effects. So if a couple of people want to take a few minutes to search aaround for those, that would be incredibly helpful.

Becuase production might be an issue, I asked the writers to come up with a small sample scene that we can start working on as a proof of concept. BlueHairedMeerkat wrote up a very short scene titled, "At home with the Stinson's." I has 3 parts: Narrator, Tachy, and Dana. If possible, I would like to start editting this, casting it, and recording it as fast as possible, so that the production side know where it's going before getting everything else all at once.

One issue that came up is how public the process should be. I have no problem with everyone working on it, but to post something up then have 50 people fixing one line that was already fixed, or going in different directions might be a problem. So, if anybody has some thoughts on this, it would be very helpful. For now, I am uploading BlueHairedMeerkat's proof of comcept scene, so the consultants can start working on that.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Dibs on the narrator.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

We'd need to have those production positions segmented.

Need proofreaders, a few looking for continuity and such, those shouldn't be hard to do.  Most people see production and say "I don't know how to produce an audio broadcast."

The dificulty is going to be in putting together audio, we need a person or two that know what they are doing.  Also need at least one person in charge of simply making sure everyone who needs to know certain things knows them.  There's going to be a pretty good amount of secretarial work, just coordinating people's schedules and making sure people stay on the schedule.

I'd love to be a voice actor, but I just lost my computer and the new one is on he cheap, so I'm out (don't even have a mic).  I caould assist in an organizational capacity.  I am not familiar with the process at all, but I can type and relay info and coordinate a decent bit.

Really glad to see this is getting going.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'd love to voice act too, but my problem is my accent. I'm not sure I could do a convincing enough generic American accent, let alone a specific regional one.

If there's anything female and British (my regional British accents are quite good) that I could try out for that'd be amazing.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

@Silverleaf, I don't think there's any reason that Tachyon's wife Dana couldn't be British.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Dana doesn't strike me as a particularly non-British name. Actually, it almost sounds Scottish. (if Scottish =/= British, don't hurt me; it's all very confusing)

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Dana doesn't strike me as a particularly non-British name. Actually, it almost sounds Scottish. (if Scottish =/= British, don't hurt me; it's all very confusing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10&list=TLu9WjRKd4JVGZKyLdL5SGeeh78Wi8g81l

Best explanation I've found.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ah. Yeah, that's pretty helpful.

-- Trajector

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

There's also the narrator, and a couple of police officers of indeterminate ethnicity.

-Reckless

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yeah, the Scots are British whether they like it or not.

I think of myself as English to be honest, but I'll accept that I'm British next and European after that.

And the name Dana has many origins, including Celtic. It's not common over here though.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:
And the name Dana has many origins, including Celtic. It's not common over here though.
According to http://www.behindthename.com/top/ , you are correct, and it is much more popular as a name in the US than in England, Wales, or Scotland.
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

broccoli wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10&list=TLu9WjRKd4JVGZKyLdL5SGeeh78Wi8g81lBest explanation I've found.

CGP Grey for the win!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Actually, are any of the Citizens of the Sun explicitly American? If they've all flocked to Dawn, they really could have flocked from anywhere...

-Reckless

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have talked to Paul about this, and while they want to approve the script, casting is up to us.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

They're from all over!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I know I may not be able to help much with this project, though if the Cursed Acolyte is ever needed, I would be willing to do the voice. Just don't expect very much emotion, I am told I am fairly monotone...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

for a deranged/somewhat possessed cultist, that doesn't sound too bad. maybe make it even creepier, even.

-- Trajector

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It would be fun to do a voice of some kind for this thing, if there's a female English character who's so far voiceless ;). I could record my lines and then send someone the sound file over Skype or something :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

At this point, the only female character who I would say cannot absolutely be British is Felicia Parsons. It may not be entirely appropriate, but I'm pretty sure we could get away with a British Wraith, Tachyon, Dawn, Any female Citizen of the Sun, and if Dawn then also Ex-Patriette.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Just because they aren't actually from Brittain, doesn't mean they can't try their best to talk like one, that is a very American thing to do, my Father for example. . .

Or maybe it could be a subtle clue that the great big bad guy in the background is really "The Monarchy," and is coming to take back the old Colonies, one accent at a time.  

You have to say "The Monarchy" like it is in league with Colonel Sanders.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

To my non-British, non-Canadian, non-American ear, Canadians sound a lot more like Americans than they sound like Brits.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

One question about the existing script: Do radio plays usually have so much physical description? Eg, there's a lot of detail on Tachyon's suit.

Pages