The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Box Size

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phno
Box Size

I know this is kind of a side issue, and it may just be that I'm inept, but I seriously don't understand the box size for Rook City.  I saw the size and went, "Ooh! I can fit everything in one box!"  Wrong... the box has a third of the number of cards and is right around a time and a quarter bigger.  When you put the decks in the box, you can do two rows of three (oriented properly), resulting in six stacks (just fitting the original game); or you can do three rows of two cards in horizontal orientation and a column of two oriented properly (vertically) resulting in eight stacks (fitting all but one stack of cards-six original, three from Rook).  I love the game and all, but it just doesn't make sense to me.  Like 1/8th of an inch bigger and it would have fit all nine stacks (three rows of three stacks).  Now, I get to carry one small box crammed full of cards that get mixed up from moving around (since there's no dividers in the original box) and a big box that's almost empty but the cards don't get mixed up in (since it has the plastic tray).  I know it's trivial, but seriously, I just don't understand the thinking behind it.  It would have been awesome if it had been a little bigger to hold everything (with a major plus if it had a cardboard liner with nine slots).  That being said, anyone have any ideas how to make (cheaply) dividers to keep the cards from mixing up in the boxes or how to fit them all in the rook box?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

This is a new game company who has to juggle what they want (optimum box size) with what they can afford (the box sizes we got).  They've said that the box that the Expanded (re-printed) core game will come in will fit everything for the core game and both new expansions, so it looks like you'll get just what you're looking for.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Tamar

There are also only certain sizes of box that you can get without the costs getting super ridiculous.  Going just that 1/8 inch bigger generally means having a box custom made, which you can do if you're WOTC or some other huge company, but just doesn't work when you're smaller.
Also, what Spiff said!  There ARE new exciting box developments in the works.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, they said the remastered core game is gonna fit all the cards nice and neat, so no more worries about any of this.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

I recommend using rubber bands to keep the separate card decks from mixing together (or Hugo's Amazing Tape if you have some of that lying around). I was also a little bummed out about the Rook City box being bigger but not actually being able to hold any more cards.

Though in a recent email >G announced that the enhanced edition will feature divider cards!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

foxtrot2620 wrote:
(or Hugo's Amazing Tape if you have some of that lying around)

And if you don't, you should buy some. Seriously, this stuff is awesome for managing cards - any cards. I use it to manage all my cards for all my games. (With the exception of SotM, but only because it's so much fun to have labelled deck boxes.  :)

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Phno

Honestly, I'd get dragonshields for it and call it a day (sleeves + boxes), but I don't really want to spend 90 on sleeves and boxes for a game I only spent 60 on (for the base + exp).  I'll have to check out that tape, though.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Anyone know how the new Enhanced Edition box looks? According to the Kickstarter campaign it will hole the core game and the two expansions. No word yet if it can hold Unity and Ambuscade. I don't mind my MTG long card box, But having the actually game box would be so much cooler!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It can hold Unity and Ambuscade as well. The prototype of the box is seen when Christopher appeared as a guest in the Damsel something or 'nother webcast.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Ronway wrote:
It can hold Unity and Ambuscade as well. The prototype of the box is seen when Christopher appeared as a guest in the Damsel something or 'nother webcast.

Is the podcast still up? And can you send a link if it is? I would like to check it out!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

UXM266 wrote:
Is the podcast still up? And can you send a link if it is? I would like to check it out!

The thread's still available with the links.  8)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I just love how people are always able to provide links of stuff I mention but too lazy to take the time to actually find out where it was that I saw it. Guess i've picked up Visionary's power of suggestion.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:
I just love how people are always able to provide links of stuff I mention but too lazy to take the time to actually find out where it was that I saw it. Guess i've picked up Visionary's power of suggestion.

That's just one of the many ways a community supports its members!  ;)

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Rabit wrote:

UXM266 wrote:

The thread's still available with the links.  8)

Thanks! Besides for a very VERY interesting introduction to the interview, I saw the size of the box!. Looks awesome.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

UXM266 wrote:
Thanks! Besides for a very VERY interesting introduction to the interview, I saw the size of the box!. Looks awesome.

That's what ... oh, nevermind.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel