The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Hero Personalities

132 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ironic
Ironic's picture

Yeah, trolling Frost never gets old, and the Haka/Tempest photobomb just makes it better.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

celette482

AZ strikes me as the kind of person who only pretends to hate it. It's easy to let a tragic past be your shield against the world, but just like Wolverine has a strange but fatherly soft-spot for mutant girls (OR NOT SO FATHERLY, ULTIMATE UNIVERSE I'M LOOKING AT YOU AND JUDGING), I think ultimately AZ goes along with the heroing not because he's being blackmailed or anything, but because all those much more happy-go-lucky people he works with remind him every so slightly of good times. But someone like that needs to have the frivolity introduced casually- ergo practical jokes that he can groan about but secretly enjoy.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

It's a valid and cool take on the character, even if it isn't mine.

(At least, not at first.  Being around the Freedom Friends will certainly push him in that direction over time... as it did Wolverine, come to think on it.)

Ironic

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

celette482 wrote:

AZ strikes me as the kind of person who only pretends to hate it. It's easy to let a tragic past be your shield against the world, but just like Wolverine has a strange but fatherly soft-spot for mutant girls (OR NOT SO FATHERLY, ULTIMATE UNIVERSE I'M LOOKING AT YOU AND JUDGING), I think ultimately AZ goes along with the heroing not because he's being blackmailed or anything, but because all those much more happy-go-lucky people he works with remind him every so slightly of good times. But someone like that needs to have the frivolity introduced casually- ergo practical jokes that he can groan about but secretly enjoy.

I agree as well. I think Absolute Zero is the Eyeore of the group; he's usually down all the time,  but sometimes he gets a broken baloon and a pot to put it in, and he starts feeling alright, at least until his house gets blown down.

And the Scholar is Pooh.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Ironic
Ironic's picture

After the assored Sentinels of the Multiverse rush off to stop the forces of evil, The Scholar ruins the Parsons' vegetable patch, and steals all their honey.  "For crucial alchemical research," reads the note left behind.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I'm always wondering about Ra's personality, and I keep thinking how much of his personality is Blake Washington Jr. and how much is the god what resides in his soul. Some of the cards have him acting like the king of the gods should (Wrathful Gaze, Inferno, Flame Spike), while some have him playing more like he was Nathan Drake or something (Adaptive Plating Subroutine, Inconcieveable Obstruction). Do Ra and Blake talk to each other like the two halves of Firestorm, or are they completly fused? I think having Ra talk to himself would be interesting to be sure, but there is no evidence that backs it. Maybe it's like the Avatar (of Last Airbender fame) where he can channel the Ra to get memories of past staff-wielders? I don't know. Could be interesting.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Ra is the designated Tsukkomi.

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

Katsue wrote:

is Fantaic the Boke, then? I don't think she'd take a paper fan to the head very well...

David Cronenberg

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Zalrus9 wrote:
Katsue wrote:

is Fantaic the Boke, then? I don't think she'd take a paper fan to the head very well...

I'm fairly sure that's the premise of the Baptism by Fire comics, though Ra might have dispensed with the paper fan for reasons of health and safety. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Please tell me someone else got the Irony of the Argent Adebt's initials...

He's called AA, he was a bartender...

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

Please tell me someone else got the Irony of the Argent Adebt's initials...He's called AA, he was a bartender...

Yeah, I got it. I think he'd be a great sponser too! 

David Cronenberg

Kingofsouls

logan_mann wrote:

I try and imagine what they would be like/doing should they all be gathered in a non crime fighting setting.  Lets say all these heroes get invited to Young Legacy's Hawaii themed birthday party. 

Fanatic I see standing ramrod straight in the corner in full armor holding her decorative party cup complete with umbrella as though its the handle of Absolution.  Not saying much but straight face and flashing eyes just screaming condemnations on the frivolous party hat worn by Bunker, dressed in a festive Hawaiian shirt and very comfortable and casual.  He left his suit parked outside. He chats amiably with everyone and happily compliments Haka on dressing so festively for the occasion.

Haka I see being a little confused by Bunker's comments as he's in the same outfit he wears every day.  He sits awkwardly, taking up most of the couch, knees practically to his chin, wondering if he's supposed to understand anything Tachyon is saying to him as she socially flits around the room conversing with Haka on the couch, Legacy and Ra by the kitchen counter as well as The Visionary and The Wraith standing by the fireplace hearth all at the same time. 

Legacy is of course the perfect host.  He's like a happy smiling uncle, so glad to see all his family together as he gets his daughter's cake ready.  He pulls out the matches but not before Ra's eyes blaze, he calls down the power's of ancient Egypt, points a finger and all the candles burst into flame.  Half melting the candles and the icing in the process.  The Visionary simply shakes her head.  She saw that coming.  She tries to stay focused on what The Wraith is saying but can't help seeing flashes of doom and destruction, and a vision of Absolute Zero getting a speeding ticket on his way to the party and receiving a larger fine for disrespecting an officer.  That explains why he's been sitting and brooding in the corner the whole party with no more then a grunt to anyone who addresses him. She returns her mind to the conversation.

The Wraith is well trained in proper social etiquette and is the perfect guest, complimenting Mrs. Parsons on her lovely roses.  All the while her eyes scan the room for signs of illegal activity, possible enemies and the quickest escape route in case of an emergency.  She carefully watches the new guy, Mr. Fixer.  He hasn't been around long enough to have The Wraith's complete trust.  But then...who does?

Mr. Fixer is at that moment under the kitchen sink working on a leak.  Legacy told him to leave it be and enjoy the party but Mr. Fixer isn't much of one for idle conversation. 

Tempest stands by the fish bowl with a bit of a longing look on his face.  He sighs, fixes his gills into a smile and tries to start a conversation with Fanatic.

Expatriatte just sends a card.

I KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO DRAW TONIGHT

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

Scholars Aide

Taking up the discussion from earlier about which heroes have killed, and the perception of their actions...

"The team was killed by an angry human with wings and a sword. It was awful!" - Gene-bound soldier, Freedom Five #536 (from Sanctifying Strike)

So, Fanatic kills humanoid alienswho are intelligent enough to speak and to feel upset about it. 

While this does demonstrate the sentience/emotions of Voss' minions, I would argue that any of them that get killed while stopping Voss don't really "count" against a hero's "good guy rating".  After all, you have to remember that Voss' whole schtick is that he invades planet's, enslaves the populace, and genetically twists them to his own nefarious purposes before moving on to the next target.  Killing his minions is no different than killing enemy soldiers on the battlefield.  Sometimes, the enemy (who is likely just as "human" as you, with hopes/dreams/family/etc.) has to die in order to protect a higher justice, even if the one who is really to blame temporarily remains safe.

Apparently, Chrono-Ranger is also willing to kill humans - seing as how he's Cowboy Cable, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised

I don't know from Cable, but Jim Brooks seems to me like a time-traveling John Wayne.  His bio says he was one of the fastest guns in the West, protecting Silver Gulch until a Time Portal transported him to the Final Wasteland (Duh duh duhhh duhnnn!  Duh duh duhn duhn duhnnn!).  So while he probably doesn't hesitate much at dropping any dangerous criminals (read: super-powered villains, anyone armed and endangering innocents), he also comes from a culture on the fringe of society, where the strong preyed upon the weak unless someone like him was there to stop them.  Secondly, he is busy hunting down all the weird monsters from history to prevent the horrible future that he ended up in, so he doesn't have a lot of time to waste on "normals" that won't even be around later on.  Thirdly, he is, technically, a member of law enforcement. (His office may have expired, since he's from 1883, but he WAS the Sheriff before he disappeared.)  Sometimes, the cops have to shoot criminals to protect innocents. 

Also, I seem to have forgotten to mention ealier that Expatriette shoots a human between the eyes in her bio.

Said "human" was a telekinetic that was using his powers to rob an armored car (with some help from his gang of thugs).  Right between the eyes may be a little on the "dark" side, but he was definitely no innocent bystander.  And he definitely won't be killing or torturing anyone anymore.

P.S. - Does everyone else sing/hum that song everytime they mention that environment?  You know which one I'm talking about.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I actually spoke with Christopher at Kantcon about Fanatic's personality.  Apparently she projects a lot of pomp and righteousness when she is in public, displaying no doubt that she is sent to do the work of the Heavens and strike down any evil that opposes her.  However, she actually has a lot of doubts about her cause and whether she really is in the right or not, and feels a great deal of shame because of it.  So, while she may have a grandiose and hyperconfident demeanor when out hero-ing and reacting to the public, she is just as unsure of life, the universe, and everything as we are.

EDIT:  Yes we do, Scholars Aide.

IT'S THE FINAL WASTELAAAAAAAAAND!!!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

Reckless wrote:

I actually spoke with Christopher at Kantcon about Fanatic's personality.  Apparently she projects a lot of pomp and righteousness when she is in public, displaying no doubt that she is sent to do the work of the Heavens and strike down any evil that opposes her.  However, she actually has a lot of doubts about her cause and whether she really is in the right or not, and feels a great deal of shame because of it.  So, while she may have a grandiose and hyperconfident demeanor when out hero-ing and reacting to the public, she is just as unsure of life, the universe, and everything as we are.

Interesting...  This adds another layer to Fanatic that I didn't necessarily think of.  She is probably my favorite in terms of deck mechanics although I've struggled defining her personality.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Reckless wrote:

Is her doubt based on whether or not the cause is right, or whether it is her cause?  Does she doubt her calling or what she is called to?

I could see this going several ways:  One she doubts herself, whether or not she has lived up to her calling, and tortured by her perceived failures.  Two she actually has doubts as to whether her cause is right, like maybe she isn't serving who she thinks she is.  Three could be the classic how can god allow evil trap, especially with her nemesis being so similar to her, you have to ask why he even exists.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

It sounds like doubt over whether anything she believes is right.  The same doubt lots of people experience with faith, philosophy, or ethics.  I think what Christopher was talking about is that she has doubts about her cause, and she is ashamed because she feels she shouldn't have any at all considering all that has happened to her.  His focus wasn't so much on what her doubts were as much as the fact that she doubts her cause and is ashamed that she holds these doubts.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Reckless wrote:

It sounds like doubt over whether anything she believes is right.  The same doubt lots of people experience with faith, philosophy, or ethics.  I think what Christopher was talking about is that she has doubts about her cause, and she is ashamed because she feels she shouldn't have any at all considering all that has happened to her.  His focus wasn't so much on what her doubts were as much as the fact that she doubts her cause and is ashamed that she holds these doubts.

The shame is probably a key aspect here. That is a pretty heavy thing to deal with. Its bad enough to have doubts about something you believe in, but to burden yourself with shame on top of that...it makes sense that when she finally does go into battle that all of her shame and doubts would lead to her being even more vocal and zelous, to the point of brinking on anger, not just anger at whatever evil shes fighting, but anger at herself. 

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Thats probably why Apostate beat her in their first encounter.  A few choice words about how she's killed in anger, and how she's even worse because she's convinced herself that its "right" when she does it...anything to widen the cracks, knock her off balance, sow doubt, and bring that shame to the surrface.

Maybe the "Redeemer" angle is as much about her OWN redemption from the evils she has caused as the redemption of her enemies...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Braithwhite wrote:

Maybe the "Redeemer" angle is as much about her OWN redemption from the evils she has caused as the redemption of her enemies...

Oh hell yes. I would think it most certainly is I would agree. 

Ironic
Ironic's picture

That much, I always thought was the case.

After all, the "Redeem" ability gives her clarity (cards), and strength (HP).

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I like it, she's gone too far to go back, she's seen too much to ever really turn away, but she still has doubts.  I really want to get Redeemer Fanatic now.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Redeemer Fanatic is definitely one of my favorite characters. 

And the character card art... so awesome

Reckless
Reckless's picture

jagarciao wrote:

Redeemer Fanatic is definitely one of my favorite characters. And the character card art... so awesome

My friend and forumite, TeslaRoyale, exclusively plays Redeemer whenever he plays Fanatic's deck because he loves the artwork.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Ironic
Ironic's picture

It's an excellent piece, though it always felt a little backwards to me.

Assuming Redeemer Fanatic is being less... well, Fanatical than the vanilla version (which seems to be the implication), isn't it just a little odd that she now has more sexied-up costume, is blindfolded (usually a symbol for more "blind faith," rather than less), and instead of a cross on a cloth tabbard, has a cross painted in blood?  If anything, that sounds more like the design for Brutal Ninties Fanatic than the more neutral art from the classic version.

Ironic

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I think that part of her self redemption was in part to eliminate all her self doubts. The only way to move forward, for her at least, was to shed all doubt and shame and become fully commited to her goal. 

I think redeemer Fanatic is much more confident in her faith, hence the armor. I think the blindfold might be more symbolic of her not being swayed anymore by those like Apostate. Maybe you can call it her being more "bind faith" like I guess. But she will no longer be torn or distracted from her righteous path by others

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Or herself, as the case may be.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Fun fact: today as I was walking across the parking lot to my local Workforce Center for my weekly Job Club, my mind drifted into picturing a scene and some dialogue with Ra in a more humanizing personality.  I forget the exact details, but it was something about him chiding other heroes for making too stereotypical an assumption about him.  While he has a certain mythic grandeur to him, I also imagine him being a bit snarky and world-wise about it, as is proper for someone who all but openly ruled one of the world's earliest civilizations.  It was some sort of "you don't think I always do X, do you?" kind of moment, and I could swear it was with Legacy, though that now doesn't seem right to me.

On the flipside, it's interesting to think of what sort of a life Dr. Blake Washington has, if he basically only exists at night anymore.  How does he ever get to archaeological conferences and such?  Does he have to persuade Ra to let him "drive" for a while, and give up monitoring the skies for dire omens?  Definitely a neat character to consider.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

TheTroll
TheTroll's picture

I see Absolute Zero as a guy that since he can't actually get close to people anymore chooses to be a jerk to them to keep them away, sort of a coping mechanism to avoid getting emotionally hurt. However I think it's worked too well and he's forgotten that he's not just a jerk. It happens. Becoming the Mask and all that.

Nightmist I get a heavy Harry Dresden vibe from. Kinda snarky and fun to be around even if a bit cynical at times. I would love to party with her and Expatriette, but then again, I like the strong women.

To Punish and Enslave!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I so wish for one more look into Pauline's birthday parties. It's been a while since our last one, and we now have more characters and even more info to go off of...

Red Rackham

Just my take, but my impression is that Nightmist doesn't see herself as a superhero at all.  This is largely based on the fact that she doesn't wear a costume, just a suit and trenchcoat or a little black dress in her Dark Watch variant.  So at a party with other superheroes, she'd probably be thinking 'what I am doing here?'  The other heroes probably see her as kind of the weird, frightening one, and she probably sees herself as the only sane person and they're all weirdos. 

I also see her as someone with tremendous personal fortitude.  She's the person who never complains, even though life really craps on her when you think about it.  She's quiet, doesn't have many friends (I don't get the impression she's even particularly close to the rest of Dark Watch).  I think Lillian is probably the only person other than her father whom she ever gets really close to.  So I think the reason that her card text seems so serious is that her personality is the quiet, sad, lonely one whose sadness and loneliness other people don't see.

Pages