The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM errata/clarifications collected

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
SotM errata/clarifications collected

I can't find my original post where I said I've collected up the errata and clarifications from the forums into a single PDF so that I (and you!) can carry it around on your iPad or print out or do whatever with it, but I've updated it to include the two latest official rulings, one for Tachyon's "Sonic Vortex" card and one for the "Citizen Tears" wording update.  You can get the file here:

http://www.spiffworld.com/sotm/

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Thanks Spiff!

I've stickied this topic so that it does not get lost like the last one :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The PDF has been updated to include the excellent full card list provided by awmiller.

awmiller
awmiller's picture

Thanks for taking my basic list and prettying it up. I love this document, and am glad to have been able to contribute.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Updated with the latest clarifications.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The file has been updated with a few corrections in the original card list, additions of all the Rook City cards to the list (thanks to Broccoli for doing the work of listing all the new cards for me), the inclusion of the original rules (the Rook City rules haven't been posted in PDF form yet so I don't have those to include), and a few new rules clarifications I've picked up from the forums.  We haven't had a whole lot of official rulings in a while, so there hasn't been much for me to add.

http://www.spiffworld.com/temp_files/SotM.pdf

Spiff
Spiff's picture

My errata/clarifications PDF has had a major overhaul.  Broccoli's been pointing out a few places where my doc needed updating, and I've known all along that the whole PDF was a half-assed effort on my part at best, so I finally sat down and tried to give it a full-assed treatment.  What you'll find in the PDF now:

1) The formatting of Errata and Clarifications section has been improved to make the whole thing much easier to find the info you're looking for.  Also, I've done a better job of making information available where it's needed.  For example, if the "Damage" section clarifies how a particular hero's card should act, I've also copied that info into the hero's own section so you don't have to check everywhere to find what you're looking for.

2) I've added the few Rook City clarifications I'm aware of so far, so you'll find sections for Matriarch, Plague Rat and Spite.

3) The official rulebook is included in my PDF.  When the Rook City rule book becomes available online, I'll probably switch it out for that one.

4) I've copied the hero and villain bios from the website and included them in the PDF as well.  They make for fun reading.

5) I've expanded the information in the card list section so that you can see what kind of card each one is (ongoing, equipment, etc.) and if a card has hp, how many hp it has.

As always, if you find something wrong with the file, please let me know so I can fix it.

ketigid

I want to thank Spiff for the incredible effort. Love the new version.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

More great detective work by broccoli has led to another update of the PDF.  With each iteration, it becomes even MORE indispensable to SotM gamers everywhere! ;)

savagegreywolf

Will the errata be distributed with Rook City?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

There was no errata distributed with the copies of Rook City that we Kickstarter participants got, so I'd say no.  This PDF is just my own attempt to gather up the clarifications that I've seen have been given official answers.  However, it's not an official Sentinels of the Multiverse thing at all.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

There will be an official publication later this year with very official and conclusive errata. 

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Big, meaty update to the PDF adding official clarifications to a bunch of questions asked by Broccoli directly to Chris.  Lots of stuff from Rook City, but some classic stuff too.  Check it out.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Good things happen when Christopher and I have to sit for several hours together on airplanes and in airports.  On our journey to and from PAX Prime last fall, much of Rook City got written.  On our way to and from PAX East last week, we answered all of the questions from broccoli... and wrote some other stuff as well.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Another update to the PDF incorporating five or six official clarifications I've seen in the past few weeks, including two of Legacy's first-ever clarifications.  I took this opportunity to add the Rook City heroes and villain bios to the PDF as well.  They're copy/pastes from the info we got on the Rook City Kickstarter, so they're not in the same style as the original bios.  But they make for good reading and I like having it all in one place.

I almost added Cosmic Omnitron to the bios, but since I'm still hoping we'll get an alternate Baron Blade, I didn't want to jinx it.  I'll add Nightmist (I refuse to capitalize the silly 'M') in a batch with other Infernal Relics characters once we learn more about them.

ketigid

I really appreciate your work in compiling all these clarifications and it is my go-to reference whenever I have doubts. However, can the file be made smaller in terms of file size?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The reason it's gotten larger is because of the hero and villain bios.  About 78 of the 85mb of the file are due to the art-intensive bio sections, and .zipping the file only removes about 1mb (lame).

Tell you what I'll do, I'll post a second PDF that's just the clarifications, rules, and card list.  With just that stuff, it's only 6.4mb.  The two PDF links can be found at:

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I sent you a message too, but I would like to point out that your verdict for Stealth under "Next Damage" is incorrect.

It doesn't actually say "reduce the next damage to the Wraith by 2," it says "Prevent the next 2 damage she would take." This means that not only can she block irreducible damage with it, but -- more importantly -- extra stealth she doesn't use does persist, even if she uses some of it. Since it doesn't say "reduce the next damage," like Haka of Shielding does, it isn't limited to the next time she takes damage. it specifically refers to the next 2 points of damage, even if they come from different sources.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

http://greaterthangames.info/forum/index.php/topic,38.0.html

This is where Spiff got the information from and explains that there are inconsistencies within the text of several cards.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

So, stealth is worded wrong. It's "reduce the next damage by 2," not "prevent the next 2 damage. Ok then.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I agree that I should update the PDF to say "prevent" not "reduce".  But as the link that Ronway posted shows, extra Stealth she doesn't use does not persist.  I'm not sure about the question of whether Stealth can affect irreducible damage.  This isn't the place to hash it out though.  Perhaps a different thread dedicated to that question is in order (or maybe that's already happened and I missed it).

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Stealth should say "prevent 2 of the next damage", because it really is prevention, not reduction. It works against irreducible damage.

At least, that's my impression, which I vaguely think may have come from a conversation with Christopher. I don't have a source to cite and haven't (yet) searched the forums ...

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Discussed here:

http://greaterthangames.info/forum/index.php/topic,400.msg4572.html#msg4572

Not definitive, but this is where my vague memory was coming from.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I do recall one of them (Chris, Paul, or that one guy everyone believes because he is usually right) saying that it prevents irreducible damage, but I agree that it should be reworded.

Either "The next time Wraith takes damage, prevent 2 of it" or just make it not block irreducible damage.

-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The PDFs have been updated.  The changes:

1) I cleaned up the description of Wraith's "Stealth" ability so that I refer correctly to "preventing" and not "reducing" damage.  That lead me to add a clarification about how you can prevent irreducible damage even if you can't reduce irreducible damage.

2) I added clarifications to The Chairman that lead me to make new entries under the General Villain Clarifications, all to the effect that the definition of a "villain character card" is a character card in the villain deck that has the "villain" keyword.  This means that The Operative is not a villain character card.  I also pointed out that you don't have to be a villain character card to have the Nemesis icon on your card, so even though The Operative isn't a villain character card, she still is Mr. Fixer's nemesis because she has his icon on her character card.

3) I added a few clarifications about the additional powers mentioned on Plague Rat's "filthy vermin" side (the powers are in addition to a hero's usual powers, and they are only in effect when PR is on his "filthy vermin" side.  They go away when he flips).

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Big update to the PDF that has the hero and villain bios.  It now has all the Rook City and Infernal Relics heroes and villains (thanks to the spiffy new site update, that info is now available), and I've also added a third section for the information about all of the environments that the new site now displays.

The PDF is still graphics-heavy, and though I went back through to try to optimize things a bit, the new file still clocks in at almost 100mb.  But if you'd like to have all the character and environment info to carry around with you on your iPad or whatever, give it a download.

I am planning on going through the Rules & Clarifications PDF to see which of the clarifications and errata are still relevant after the EE update, but haven't gotten to that yet.  I'm not in any rush, since I'll need to update the card list once I get my cards in the mail in Sept., so I might wait until then to make the update.

www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Wooo! Thanks for pointing out the new bios, I would have missed them otherwise!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

ketigid

Just used your randomizer. Ennead's card is missing Ra as their nemesis.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

My understanding is that The Ennead's main villain-type card doesn't actually have Ra as a nemesis on it.  Each of the individual Ennead mini-bosses have Ra as a nemesis, but not the main one.  That's why I left it off of the pic in the randomizer.

ketigid

I see. Now you know I still don't have IR nor am I a PT. ;)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

My understanding is that The Ennead's main villain-type card doesn't actually have Ra as a nemesis on it.  Each of the individual Ennead mini-bosses have Ra as a nemesis, but not the main one.  That's why I left it off of the pic in the randomizer.

What do you mean by "The Ennead's main villain-type card"? I don't think there is such a thing.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

What do you mean by "The Ennead's main villain-type card"? I don't think there is such a thing.

There is. However, I believe the nemesis icon is usually on the art card and not the text card, but because there is no art card for the Ennead, only a text card. As Spiff mentions, the icon is on each of the individual character cards.

The Ennead are Ra's nemesis, just as Anubis is (in the Tomb of Anubis, because he also has the nemesis symbol). Where the icon is located is just details.

<Edited per arenson9's feedback, below>

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

There is, however I believe the nemesis icon ...

Holy, syntax, Bat man! Took me a while to realize what you were saying here until I realized that you'd jammed two sentences together and probably meant:

Rabit wrote:

There is. However, I believe the nemesis icon ...

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I was confused by The Ennead too and asked Christopher for some clarifications so I could prepare my accessories for this villain.  My understanding is this:  there is a general villain card for The Ennead, which contains rules text that says stuff like "find the Temple of the Ennead card and put it into play.  Put all the various mini-bosses beneath it, pull out H+2 (or whatever) mini-bosses and put them into play, if there are no more mini-bosses underneath the Temple, flip this card", etc.  But that villain card does no damage, has no hp in and of itself, and has no nemesis icon on it.  It's the individual mini-bosses which have hp, can be targeted, and have the nemesis icons on them.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

there is a general villain card for The Ennead, which contains rules text that says stuff like "find the Temple of the Ennead card and put it into play. Put all the various mini-bosses beneath it, pull out H+2 (or whatever) mini-bosses and put them into play, if there are no more mini-bosses underneath the Temple, flip this card", etc. But that villain card does no damage, has no hp in and of itself, and has no nemesis icon on it. It's the individual mini-bosses which have hp, can be targeted, and have the nemesis icons on them.

Yep! My thought (and just mine - feel free to disagree, as it's your app! smiley) is the Ennead as a whole is a nemesis to Ra, it would make sense to put the symbol on the random generator's image.

Don't get me wrong, though; I think it's a minor thing that does not diminish a great tool. yes

arenson9 wrote:

Holy, syntax, Bat man! Took me a while to realize what you were saying here until I realized that you'd jammed two sentences together and probably meant:

*sigh*

(And a warning to those who might read this incorrectly: This is written in a tone of friendly sarcasm. cool

There are no smilies to reflect the eye rolling I'm doing, as I like my run-on sentences so you should just leave me alone, however I suppose you could correct me and hopefully I'll eventually learn more appropriate sentence structure - but honestly it seems more likely I'll just continue to make stupid mistakes and not even update the original post for future readers, to allow for better comprehension and hey I should go update that, shouldn't I?

(Thanks, arenson9! wink)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

it would make sense to put the symbol on the random generator's image

Couldn't hurt.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I've made a pretty big update to the Rules and Clarifications PDF, which you can find on my site (www.spiffworld.com/sotm).  Changes include:

1) I've removed the couple of instances of errata I had now that the cards have been updated in the Enhanced Edition.  Instead, each hero, villain, or environment lists which of their cards have been updated in the EE, which you can look up in...

2) A whole new section which lists every card that's been updated in the EE, with their old text and new text shown side by side.  This was an interesting exercise as I typed out the changes.  In some cases, the changes were very minor and in some cases were a much bigger deal, some of which I'm surprised we haven't seen more QQ about here on the forums (for example, Wraith can no longer prevent irreducible damage like she could before).  It's an interesting read, to see the changes laid out like that.

3) I added the clarification about what "immediately end your turn" means for Fanatic's "Prayer of Desperation" and Nightmist's "Mist-Fueled Recovery".

4) I added the clarification that if Mr. Fixer is able to play "Overdrive" when it's not his turn, he still gets to use his "Strike" power twice on whoever's turn it is when the card is played.

5) I added a note that says that some villain keywords are missing from the oversized villain cards that were part of the latest Kickstarter.

6) I added the clarification that if a hero has been infected by Plague Rat's "Infection" card, that card is not removed when the hero is incapacitated.

7) I added a clarification that even if an environment card doesn't specify the source of damage (i.e. it says "deal XYZ damage" instead of "this card deals XYZ damage") the source of the damage should be considered to be the environment itself, or if it's important, the card itself.

8) I added a note saying that proper rules of arithmetic apply when adding bonuses, so if you have some card that does X damage, where X = the number of somethings in play plus 2 and there are zero somethings in play, the card will still do 2 damage.

9) I added a section in the "Other" general rules section about skipping your turn.

10) I'm including the new EE official rule book now.

I still don't have my Infernal Relics cards yet, obviously, so I haven't updated the Card List to include those, but I will eventually.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nice. Thanks

Spiff
Spiff's picture

It's been a while since I updated my Rules and Clarifications PDF, so I've done so, adding only stuff which has been officially confirmed by SotM staffers here on the forums (as usual).  What's been added:

1) a clarification on whether Mr. Fixer can use another power on the same turn that "Overdrive" lets him use "Strike" twice. (answer: sometimes)

2) reminding players that Ra and Anubis are nemesis, which is easy to overlook.

3) a walkthrough of Apostate's flipping mechanism, which can be confusing

4) clarification that Unity can in fact destroy other people's equipment cards (and that it has to be in play, not in someone's hand)

5) debunking the myth of Argent Adept's infinite loops

6) errata saying that Tony Taurus and Dr. Tremata should be immune to damage from "hero targets" rather than just "heroes" as it currently says on their cards.

7) timing clarification for what happens if you destroy "Forced Deployment" at the beginning of Voss' turn and it brings out enough minions for Voss to win.

8) explanation for how the damage from Supercooled Trisolvent Vat is applied to targets.

www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Spiff
Spiff's picture

More updates to the file:

1) Clarified the Nemesis rule to show that all cards which share a hero's icon are nemeses of each other.

2) Cleaned up a bunch of rulings in the "General" section, mostly to get rid of things which were no longer relevant in the age of the EE.

3) Removed my incorrect text which stated players could determine the order of their start-of-turn effects.  That is not the case.

4) Cleaned up the "ties, timing, and the order abilities take place" section.  Included Avalon's concise rules for when effects happen in card order and when the order can be decided by the players, and tightened up some of the other wording in there.

www.spiffworld.com/sotm

ketigid

Hi Spiff, how do I save your Randomizer offline on my phone to use without being connected to the internet?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Can't be done. I used Coldfusion to write the site, which requires server-side processing and so can't be done offline. No reason why the site couldn't be rewritten to use JavaScript for that kind of thing, but that's not work I'd planned on doing. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Posted an update which includes the following new clarifications:

1) if a hero gets incapacitated during their start-of-turn, they do still get to use an incapacitated ability that same turn.  If they've already begun their play/power/draw cycle when they get incapacitated, they don't.

2) incapacitated heroes may not use powers even if something else would normally give them powers (ex: treasure from "Tomb of Anubis")

3) added the "Chastise" errata

4) added a bit of clarity around reshuffling decks (discard, draw and play all force a reshuffle.  reveal does not)

5) the cards under "Omni-Cannon" go to their respective trashes if "Omni-Cannon" is removed from play, and if it manages to come back into play somehow, the cards that were under it previously are not put back under there.  Same for "Savage Mana".

6) the immunity granted to Omnitron by "Adaptive Plating Subroutine" goes away when the card leaves play.  Omnitron doesn't retain the last immunity granted.

www.spiffworld.com/sotm

ketigid

Thanks for the update!

I noticed that the "Last Updated" date on your website isn't updated. :)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Oops, thanks.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I've made a large update to my Clarifications doc:

1) First of all, I've broken it up.  The Clarifications doc now just contains the clarifications and a copy of the official rules.  The card list and Enhanced Edition card updates are in their own doc now.  This way, people who just want the rules-focused info or just the card-focused info can get that in a smaller file, but people who want both can still get both.  More importantly, since the card info doesn't change except when there's an expansion, breaking it off from the clarifications, which change frequently, means there's less to do when I need to make a clarifications update.

2) The updates themselves:

- added info about how "immediately end your turn" means you do get your end-of-turn phase

- clarified that Kismet's Talisman is still a villain target when it's in front of a hero, and that it's considered a character card.

- noted that Omnitron-X must actually have his hp reduced before his reactive plating will trigger

- clarified that the text on The Dreamer's normal-sized card has the correct text for her end-of-turn effect, not her oversized card.  Same with La Capitan and the misprint on her oversized card.

- clarified that Omnitron's and Omnitron-X's components are both affected by anything that targets "components"

- went into the whole thing about "Fixed Point" and "Unforgiving Wasteland" and how heroes can now have their hp go negative and can be removed from the game by UW, and gave some examples of what "Fixed Point" would mean for certain cards.

- pointed out that Scholar's elemental forms aren't Limited, so you can have as many of them out at a time as you want.

- clarified that when an effect triggers "the first time a target does XYZ in a turn", that's per target per turn, not just once per turn.

- clarified that Miss Information isn't a target at all when she's on her "Demure Office Worker" side.

- clarified that it's not a misprint that Chrono-Ranger's "Ultimate Bounty" doesn't get destroyed when the target it's attached to leaves play.

- I included links for just about all of these new rulings and managed to add one for an older ruling too.  Most of the info in my doc still doesn't have links to where the info came from, but I'm trying to do better going forward. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I forgot to mention that the card list has been updated to include Shattered Timelines cards. 

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

You are awesome for maintaining this, Spiff. b^_^

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1