The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Opposition is revealed! Now I haz questions

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
Opposition is revealed! Now I haz questions

So, the first opposition ship was revealed! I think.

Revenants of Nyotan. Ok I have some questions and I am just gonna talk some stuff out and hopes someone puts me on the right track.

So the Revenants are mutated godlike war-specters. The ones that we piolt have taken control of various space creatures to use as ships, can we assume this is what the Revenants have done as well? There was a space turtle we saw and I am guessing that the Lazer Dragon is the "flagship" of the group (since it is the miniature). 

Might we expect this opposition to be more of a battle between multiple bigger ship creatures headed by the dragon? (Think Voss or La Capitain style fight sorta). This would be opposed to some opposition ships that are just one big bad doing nasty things (Think Plauge Rat style fight).

I wish we had some more back story on this one as it was kinda confused at first.

Anyone else share my thoughts or thought something different? Bring on the next opposition!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I don't believe this game has Plague Rat-style fights; it was stated somewhere that the Opposition decks are nothing but ships. Plus, the fact that the flagship doesn't start the game in play combined with the fact that if there are no Opposition ships in play then you win makes such Oppositions rather difficult to make.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Le sigh.  I have the same confusion.  Maybe this reveal was super-awesome if you already know how to play the game, but I don't get it.  We know there's a spacedragon mini, so he's the Flagship, right?  But what are those other things?  Are the spaceturtle and spacemouth(?) mini-bosses that get their own minis (doubtful), or just minion cards within the Revenants of Nyotan deck?  I get the feeling we're supposed to assume the latter, but given the paucity of info about the game, I don't think it would hurt to spell that out.  24 days into the Kickstarter, I'm still pining for less tease and more meat.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

I don't believe this game has Plague Rat-style fights; it was stated somewhere that the Opposition decks are nothing but ships. Plus, the fact that the flagship doesn't start the game in play combined with the fact that if there are no Opposition ships in play then you win makes such Oppositions rather difficult to make.

Yes I understand that they are all "ships". I get that. Maybe what I ment was if there were a few bigger "mini-boss" ships that are all a part of the Revenants, as opposed to maybe an opposition that just had a metric ton of smaller guys like Matriarch or something.

Comparing to SotM is really all I have to try and get my thoughts across.

And Spiff, I feel ya man. Give me something a little more concrete I can sink my teeth into. That update just kinda left me blinking a whole lot.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Maybe if I had any idea how an Opposition deck worked or what I was likely to find in one, I'd have some context that I could overlay the update with to understand better what's going on.

There have even been reports that a mighty laser dragon, terrible and twisted, has been spotted in the haunted sectors that lie near the Flames. Most dismiss these tales as idle rumor mongering, but some remember the history of the Holding, and quietly prepare for the worst.

I think this is code for "and now the spacemonsters are leaving their dark corner and are menacing the galaxy, which is why you will be fighting them".  If the tales of spacedragons can be dismissed as rumors, I'd guess that the spacemonsters aren't that big of a deal, but I guess that changes somehow maybe.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Yeah thats what I got too Spiff. Seeing as how our playable war-specters took over living creatures, I think the Revenants do the same to try and overrun the galaxy. 

My thing is though, would that have been so hard to say? This kickstarter is so cryptic with its details haha

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Yeah, and I imagine the part that is dismissed as rumors is the laser dragon, probably because they are going with the fantasy motif of "no one's seen dragons for a thousand years... so they no longer exist and these stories are just to scare children now"... or something like that. 

I pledged my money and I am very excited about getting the game... but this is all really based on faith because I kind of resigned to the fact that I am going to learn how to play this game once it arrives. 

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you guys. This feels like backstory/flavor text but I have no idea what any of it means. I'd like to know why these guys should scare me, and I just don't

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Seeing as how our playable war-specters took over living creatures, I think the Revenants do the same to try and overrun the galaxy. 

Do we think the Revenants are mutated war-specters driving the monsters like space ships (like the players do), or are the Revenants the monsters themselves due to the mutation the update mentions?  Even that's not clear to me. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Chaosmancer wrote:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you guys. This feels like backstory/flavor text but I have no idea what any of it means. I'd like to know why these guys should scare me, and I just don't

Yeah I have the same feeling. So a big lazer dragon is flying around out in deep space.

So what?

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

The Revenants are mutated Specters, eh?

I for one am 100% in favor of the space Nephwracks. For the record.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Katsue
Katsue's picture

My prediction, based on no evidence whatsoever, is that each of the Opposition forces will be related to a different player race. My guess is that the Omega Singularity is the Flagship of some kind of Dwarfish Borg faction, or Dworg, if you will.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'd fight the Dworg.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Katsue wrote:

...some kind of Dwarfish Borg faction, or Dworg, if you will.

You mean the Cybernetic Pseudo-Metallurgic Dwarfish Borg Collective. GSF would never do something silly like shorten a name into a single word. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I've been staring at that spaceturtle, and I can't quite figure it out.  It's got a shell, and the head and left arm (flipper?) is coming out of the front opening of the shell.  But the right arm/flipper isn't sticking out of that same hole.  Maybe there's a different hole for just its right flipper?  And if you look behind it, there's some red stuff back there too, so there must be another hole at the other end for a tail, I guess.  But it's the right flipper that's flumoxing me.  Maybe it's got holes all over so it can stick stuff out wherever it wants?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

It's twisted and evil. Just be happy it doesn't have Kim Kardashian's face.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

And it seems kind of conch-shaped and not so much like a turtle shell... maybe it's some sort of hermit turtle that uses other creatures discarded shells. 

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

jagarciao wrote:

Katsue wrote:
...some kind of Dwarfish Borg faction, or Dworg, if you will.

You mean the Cybernetic Pseudo-Metallurgic Dwarfish Borg Collective. GSF would never do something silly like shorten a name into a single word. 

I responded to this on the kickstarter, but I thought I'd repost my response here to get people's opinions.

That makes a lot of sense looking at the mini's for the opposition. The dragon is the War Spectres, if I got from left to right he'd be #2. #5 looks like a suped up version of the Vigilance, which makes it human design in my book. #1 is the shade, possibly neo-elf, and then the singularity is #3 which might be Dwarven. This leads to only a single problem, giant spider #4 would then be Sulph-orcs, and I'm not sure how that would work, but I still like this as a theory

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Spiff wrote:

Seeing as how our playable war-specters took over living creatures, I think the Revenants do the same to try and overrun the galaxy. 

Do we think the Revenants are mutated war-specters driving the monsters like space ships (like the players do), or are the Revenants the monsters themselves due to the mutation the update mentions?  Even that's not clear to me. 

Reading the kickstarter it seems clear to me that the Revenants are mutated war-specters and the monsters are their ships. My reasoning?

"a renegade faction of War Spectres were pulled off course by an eddy of infernal energy spiraling outward from the Flames of Volneth...the War Spectres gained strange powers and became the Revenants of Nyotan"

Having already established that the War-specters drive around giant space-creatures I find the rest... was to be assumed? I agree it might be better spelled out, but I have no doubts.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

re: the Dworg, it's a fun theory, but it sounds unnecessarily restrictive.  Not sure what >G gains by restraining themselves to Oppositions that match the races.  For example, the Singularity is a good idea, kind of Terminator meets Borg, but it's not really any better of an idea if it's shoehorned into being Dwarven.  And the spacespider being Sulph-Orc doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

IMO, having some oppositions that match the playable races is cool. It gives more depth to the races and conceptual parity like that is elegant. I doubt they would restrict themselves to ONLY that though. That would be boring.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Well, I was proven wrong pretty quickly there.

I'm dying to see what the Cryoshade's mechanics looks like.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The cryoshade update was MUCH better for me.

I actually know WHY I want to fight this thing. That alone makes it a head and shoulder above the last update. Really, that one still leaves me scratching my head.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Agreed. Nobody tries to muscle in on my criminal action like that. When I get my hands on them, they'll be sleeping with the cyber-quasi metallic fishes. 

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Spiff wrote:

Agreed. Nobody tries to muscle in on my criminal action like that. When I get my hands on them, they'll be sleeping with the cyber-quasi metallic fishes. 

You are too kind Spiff, I usually forget to leave enough pieces for the fish wink

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Interplanetary baking competition? 

Oh boy. Can't wait for Spiffs reaction to that one if he thought Dwarfs were strange...

It's basically Omitron with a cupcake for a sibling

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Spiff has been beaten down enough that he isn't going to raise a stink about interstellar recipe robots.  I give up, already.

I am a little confused by the Kickstarter update though.  There were two probes, one turned into the Omega Singularity, but I'm not clear on what happened to the other one.  The update says it was "memorialized in a shrine to peace", which should mean that a shrine to peace was built to memorialize it, and therefore it's still buzzing around someplace.  However, maybe they meant to say "enshrined in a shrine to peace", which would indicate that it was physically installed in the shrine and therefore it's not still buzzing around somewhere.  So, is the Omega Singularity the only boss recipe (sigh) robot out there, or is there another?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Good point! It is enshrined in a shrine to peace, so we'll clarify that in the future. Also, fwiw, the Omega Singularity is not a recipe probe - all of the culinary knowledge remained with the other space probe, and is entirely absent in the civilization-destroying Omega Singularity.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I suppose there's no point in asking why, if the Boss ship is just about destruction (not baking), the other probe with the baking was even included in the background?  Sounds like we'll never encounter it, so its only effect is to confuse things and make the ferocious one we will encounter seem more ridiculous.  Maybe a little editing could tighten up that story a bit.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

What is the point of even mentioning the first probe and the galactic bake off? Seems to me the 2nd probe could have gone rouge in the narrative without going into that other stuff. 

So, it's either that this game will be a little "zanny" thematically (not opposed to that nessesarily) or the 1st probe will be important to the narrative later on. Maybe a gnomish pastry chef will be our first expansion pilot. 

Im laughing pretty hard right now. It's a mix of confusion and my continuing anticipation to play this thing. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

The first picture in that update looked a bit like a cross between an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (aka portal gun) and a turret (from the same game) :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

From what I gather the other probe was there to provide the confusion in the probes so that the Singularity ended up with the seek out and find other planets (from the baking probe), learn their war technology (a corrupted version of the baking probe using bits from the minesweeper probe), and destroy the planets (a corrupted version of the minesweeper probe with bits of the baking probe). 

I think it all came out very confused... not just the delivery of the backstory, but the mood of the game... once again, I get the feeling it doesn't know what it wants to be. At least that's the feeling I get. 

There's nothing wrong with breaking genres and combining moods (I love me a good action comedy or dark satire) but I think the issue I have is lack of cohesion in the feeling of the universe this game is set in. The Opposition forces all seem a bit on the more comical side (giant laser dragon roaming the spacescape, huge umbrella blocking stars, and now a confused sentient probe) which I feel don't quite add up to the terrible intergalactic threat that would unite this motley crew of ne'er-do-wells and people-of-questionable-reputation into a Galactic Strike Force that would represent the universe's last chance against destruction. 

I'm still committed to the game and still think it will be a fun experience, but I definitely think it will require some imaginative revisioning of the story by the player to make it really work thematically. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Well they certainly are not threats that a "normal" huge force of good guys would want or need to take down quite yet I totally agree with you. But maybe thats the point? A band of a few rouge pilots are seeing things emerging that could eventually be really bad for buiness. At this point none of the opposition forces are strong enough to generate a massive galactic threat, so it makes sense that these ruffians would move in well before its too late. Idk, just my current thought on the matter.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I can certainly see why the Strike Force are stepping in; the threats are not yet on a galactic scale, but are big enough that their home sector and the ones around it - the ones where they earn their livelihoods - are in danger of being destroyed.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Katsue
Katsue's picture

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing rouge in any of the previewed pictures.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Katsue wrote:

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing rouge in any of the previewed pictures.

Just wait for it. It'll happen.

Michael Vognild
Michael Vognild's picture

So-- who piloted the Exogorth and the Sarlacc in Star Wars?  Anybody?

Oh, yeah.  I guess they were just really, really dangerous space creatures, and not ships.  Mynocks still baffle me, but they were a cool, unexpected threat.

Not every creature has a pilot, and not all creatures are 'ships' in the classical sense, though it's more elegant to collectively refer to all threats in space as a 'ship' rather than "Opposition Opponent Beast/Construct Thingy."

Vognild Prime, sometimes Space-Ship Manufacturer