The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GSF minis

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
GSF minis

So, we got cgi renderings of Strike Force ships and Opposition ships today.  They're really beautiful, but many of them seem like they'll be far too delicate once they're rendered in real space.  I'm worried about their ability to come to me unbent at odd angles, or how long they'll be able to last before pieces snap off.  Does anyone with more experience with these kinds of minis than me have opinions about whether this is an actual danger or not?  Maybe this won't be a problem?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Bent PVC minis can be fixed easily with a little warm water. If they don't take them out of the mold too early,  don't see that being a huge concern, at least for me.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

This was my concern too. Especially at the point where the mini attaches to the base. I think they will require a certain level of babying to keep in good shape. 

But they do look pretty awesome. 

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

If that one on the very left (with the hairs/tendrils) arrives/stays intact for anybody I'll be very surprised.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You would make a very mean giant.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Chaos!

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Christopher wrote:

Not delicate at all! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgicwhPnVYM

Well, I'm in love.  They look great and can take a beating!  Any concerns I might've had have been completely obliterated by your tough-guy hands.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Some guy on the Kickstarter complained about the dragon and spider Opposition ships, apparenly annoyed that someone got some fantasy chocolate in his sci-fi peanut butter (boy is he going to be mad when he notices what the races are...).  I think it's great that not every galaxy-spanning threat has to be yet another spaceship, and I'm ready to fight spacedragons and spacespiders right now.

However, the spider's legs seem to be positioned as if it were standing on the ground or something even though (I'm assuming) it hangs out in zero-gravity space.  Shouldn't a spacespider's legs curl down below its body somehow rather than be arrayed as if it were standing on an invisible table?  I'll grant you spacespiders, sir, but lipservice to the laws of gravity must be paid!

I'm not really all that upset about the legs though.  I mean look at it.  It's not even just a spacespider, it's a technospacespider, with circuits and crystals and a robot arm.  That's pretty sweet.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

I'll grant you spacespiders, sir, but lipservice to the laws of gravity must be paid!

Yea....um...I am going to need permission to put that in my sig.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Ha, do what you will. :)

FanaticalFan

when i saw the spac dragon and space spider my draw dropped. They remind me of the reapers from Mass Effect which is my favorite game all time. My excitement started when it a space dragon was mentioned in Boroghuls bio and now to see and realize I will be able to play it the base game and it wont be in an expansion has raised my excitement to a whole new level!!!!!!! I cant wait to battle the space dragon and the space spider. My only question is will they have unique opposition ships I think the answer is yes? And if they do Im even more excited, I love the idea of battle living space creatures!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

FanaticalFan wrote:

They remind me of the reapers from Mass Effect which is my favorite game all time. 

+1 to you. I can not wait to go all commander Shepard on that Spacedragon. YOU WILL MEET THE SAME FATE AS THE RACHNI QUEEN VILLAIN!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Also, I totally agree with Spiff on the Spider positioning.

What is so great about the >G games is that they are so increadibly immersive. That spider totally drags you right out of that feeling of immersion, at least to me. It may be too late at this point to alter the the molds a little, but if you still can, it might be worth considering. 

Having the legs droop downward like it is floating would plain flat out just be more badass and creepy looking.

Edit: Clarifying that I do, in fact, like the spider as it is. Just thinking it might benifit from alternate positioning. 

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Two notes about the spider:

1) The lack of gravity in space actually implies that, all things being equal, a theoretical space creature could hold its legs anywhere it likes. In fact, having the legs droop downward would actually imply gravity - you are correct that is how a spider would look if floating in a gravity field (with the gravity acceleration vector pointing to its underside perpendicular to the plane of its body). However, in the absence of gravitational acceleration, there would be no force to cause the legs to "droop"; indeed, the only force acting on the legs would be the force exerted by the creature itself.

2) Physics aside, this particular creature obviously has legs because it has something to climb on as it moves through space :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

HAHA! Fantastic.

Thanks Paul for the insight into its design concept!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I didn't mean the legs would droop due to gravity. They'd form a ball beneath the body the same way a spider's legs do when they die. The natural clenching of the muscles would do this if it were not standing on something (same way your hand curls up a little when you relax it).

If the technospacespider spends its time climbing around on a technospacespiderweb, that's as good an explanation as anything. :)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, and the space-dragon obviously uses those wings to fly in a vacuum while its legs are for jumping over planets or something ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

Yeah, and the space-dragon obviously uses those wings to fly in a vacuum while its legs are for jumping over planets or something ;).

Obviously those wings are intended for low altitude flight when it encounters a planet. They have no use in space though (unless they are tough enough to deflect laser fire or the occasional smart bomb).

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

TheJayMann wrote:

Ameena wrote:

Obviously those wings are intended for low altitude flight when it encounters a planet. They have no use in space though (unless they are tough enough to deflect laser fire or the occasional smart bomb).

Clearly they're the biological equivalent of a Bussard collector. There is precious little life in space, thus requiring alternative energy measures.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh, like the hydrogen scoop on the front of Red Dwarf :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Paul wrote:

2) Physics aside, this particular creature obviously has legs because it has something to climb on as it moves through space :)

Yeah, I was picturing space webbing... and suddenly I have the feeling this thing is going to make moving around a giant pain... and now I'm thinking of spider-monkeys(literal)