The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Horde Mode

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester
Sentinels Horde Mode

Alright, so, a little idea I had that other can try and we can compare high-scores. Essentially, here's the story:

Following Con's information, Chrono-Ranger sneaks across the Final Wasteland to find an ancient library. Upon arriving he meets its guardian, an eternal warrior calling himself Haka. The warrior, delighted to meet another person of great strength and potential, asks the gunslinger to help him slay some of the monsters that are getting staying too close to this library. Chrono-Ranger happily agrees.

Essentially, in this "horde mode", play as Haka (either version) and Chrono-Ranger in Final Wasteland. No villain. Just both heroes and the environment. And from their, kill as many monsters as possible.

Don't use Savage Mana - it could potentially freeze the game by having the environment run out of monsters. Just keep fighting and let the environment reshuffle.

And that's really the only rules. You decide if (H) is 2 or 3.

So, anyone like this idea? Feel free to try it out and post here what your score is (number of monsters killed).

EDIT: Remove all three copies of Dominion from Haka's deck.

Remove Unforgiving Wasteland from the environment deck.

The environment takes a turn in between each hero turn (needs testing)

You're free to do whatever you want to.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Hmm, sounds fun! I'll have to give this a go sometime.

EDIT: Tried it, and there needs to be something to make it harder. Haka can pull fire from CR with Enduring Intercession, and draw four cards a turn with all three Dominions in play. You end up with your whole deck in your hand, and a Haka of Restoration can top you up to full any time you like. Conclusion: You need a bigger horde. A much bigger horde... :D

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Have the environment play a card on each hero's turn. So, Environment > Hero > Envrinment > Hero > Environment

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

UXM266 wrote:

Have the environment play a card on each hero's turn. So, Environment > Hero > Envrinment > Hero > Environment

This.

Also, go ahead and remove all three Dominions from Haka's deck. Or keep just one if you so desire, but no more.

Take away Unforgiving Wasteland too--it's useless in this scenario.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I like this idea of a villain-less challenge mode, where you see how long you can hold out against a deck.  In fact, people could assemble their own challenge decks from pieces of various villain and environment decks, post the card list and raise the challenge -- against this particular combination of cards, how long can you last and with what combination of heroes?  Almost like a Danger Room-style thing.  You see that someone lasted 10 rounds against Evandan55's "Death From Above" challenge deck using Tempest, Legacy, and Ra?  Maybe you can last longer, or maybe you can last 10 rounds with just Tempest and Ra.  Think you've got a particularly devious or well-themed group of cards that would make a good challenge deck with a clever name?  Post it up.  Sounds like fun.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

I like this idea of a villain-less challenge mode, where you see how long you can hold out against a deck.  In fact, people could assemble their own challenge decks from pieces of various villain and environment decks, post the card list and raise the challenge...

And so it begins.

Throw them out, folks. I wanna hear other ideas too.

One off the top of my head--

Cleanin' Up This Town

Just Chrono-Ranger.

Remove all cards from Silver Gulch that relate to the time portal. Also remove Sheriff Pratt.

Objective--take down the Hayes Brothers.

Stipulations--No environment trash; just shuffle everything back into the deck when it dies. Tyler must be killed once. Matthew must be killed twice. Cyrus must be killed thrice.

Sound reasonable?

Khedron
Khedron's picture
Playtester

Going back to the hordes idea, maybe take all the targets from different environment decks, and make a big deck that is all targets?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Khedron wrote:

Going back to the hordes idea, maybe take all the targets from different environment decks, and make a big deck that is all targets?

Now THAT would be the real Time Cataclysm.

If you just change all things that refer to the villain deck as referring to the environment deck, you could give it a shot.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Jesus, Cleanin' Up This Town is difficult. Managed to take out seven Hayes brothers in my first game, but only one Matthew, and it's all been downhill from there...

-Reckless

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Jesus, Cleanin' Up This Town is difficult. Managed to take out seven Hayes brothers in my first game, but only one Matthew, and it's all been downhill from there...

But you only need a total of six kills.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear: once a Hayes brother has been killed for his required number of times, remove him from the deck--don't shuffle him back in.

My bad. I still haven't tried either of these modes, even though they were my ideas... Just haven't found the time yet. 

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Ahhh, I guess that would make it easier. Nonetheless, I just managed it! :D The Masadah helps a lot, especially with the Explosive Wagons out, and a well-timed Temporal Grenade can save you a lot of pain.

-Reckless

lollocrox
lollocrox's picture

Hi guys!

I was immediately thrilled by what you proposed in this thread, evandan, and decided to try it as soon as possible!

So here is my first result at Horde Mode using H=3 (H=2 makes it too easy, I think):

Chrono Ranger and The Eternal Haka managed to kill 48 monsters from the Final Wasteland before falling to their innumerable horde!

I think I could have done much better, but here's what happened:

First, I couldn't manage to draw Haka's Enduring Intercession for a long time, even if I was drawing as many cards as possible with the Haka of Knowledge power. This resulted in Chrono Ranger's premature demise, after only 13 monsters had been defeated. Unfortunately, a few of the monsters targeted the lowest hp target, that is Chrono Ranger, and between Chupacabras and Rat Beasts, he was soon gone.

However, he has been fundamental to the group survival, also killing the Mongolian Death Worm two times! (Once with a Temporal grenade and once through a bounty/tech-strike/compound bow combo.) I just think that his full potential was yet to come.

Then, with Haka alone, and essentially double environment turns (Env > Incapacitated CR > Env > Haka), also counting that I was using both the Ancient Library and Con's Bunker at full potential, there were a lot of monsters for Haka to deal with. I managed to make great use of Rampages, to which I owe at least half of the total 48 kills. The monsters however were slowly chipping at Haka's life, and a couple Abominable Snowmen with a Mongolian Death Worm finally overwhelmed the ageless warrior.

Now some thoughts on this mini-game! I think it's really a great solo game and makes for a fun and thematic experience. Game-wise, Chrono-Ranger is a bit frail to last in a two-player group, and his bounties are a bit harder to use on targets that stay on the board for a rather short time. I think it is hard to use him at full potential, while Haka fares pretty well. All of his cards can be used as effectively as in a regular game (Punish the Weak is still a sub-par damage boost). His Enduring Intercession card goes from useless to priceless, since it essentially allows Haka to tank and keep his one-armed friend alive. Dominion (which I played as Limited card) is also great, and Savage Mana (which I finally decided to play, using counters for keeping track of monsters killed instead of putting the cards under it) provided 8+ damage when needed, allowing him to one-shot Yetis and Worms. As far as the monsters go, they are all pretty vicious, except for one: the Horrid Skunk Ape! Keep this stinky guy around, and he will do more good than bad, damaging the other monsters as well. These monkeys made more than one of Haka's Rampages even more effective, bringing his fellow high hp monsters to 5 hp or less and thus allowing Haka to wipe the board.

So my suggestion is: play it and post some results!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Whoa, 48 monsters? Nice! We've got our first high score, it looks like.

Great to hear everyone likes these ideas. I'm still trying to come up a few more--I'll post them up once I decide on the rules. Shouldn't take too long.

Though, first of all, I'd like to actually try these first two myself. I STILL haven't gotten around to doing them. I will today! Soon!

Kingofsouls

I only have the base set and Sivler gultch so i might just try playing two heros against every enviorment deck shufflfed together, with a few of the nicer ones removed of course.

EDIT: I just finished it.Behold theHorde movd variation: Hazards of the Worlds (Core + Silver Gultch)

Setup: Choose any two heroes. Then take the enviorments Insula Primalis, Megaopolis, Ruins of AtlantisWagner Mars Base, and  Silver Gultch 1883. Then, search through the decks and find the following cards:

Insula Primalis: Velociraptor Pack, Enraged T-Rex, Peradaytl Thief

Megaopolis:  Plummeting Monorail, Trafic Pileup, Targeting Innosents

Ruins of Altantis:  The Kracken, Anchient Weaponry

Wagner Mars Base:  Villiounus Weaponry

Silver Gultch:  Tyler Hayes, Matthew Hayes, Cyrus Hayes, Pricly Cactus, Explosives Wagon, Water Through, Stout Barrel

Shuffle all of the enviorment cards together into one deck. Then shuffle the hero decks and decide which hero will "go first".

Gameplay: Turn order is as follows:

Enviorment

Hero 1

enviorment

Hero 2

Play the game as usual. If a card would be drawn from the deck and said deck is empty, shuffle that deck's trash and have it become the new deck. Treat H as if it was 2.

Objective: Destroy targets until both heroes are KOed. You get 1 point for each kill. Try to get the highest score possible.

So, how did I do?

Tempest and Ra bravely faced the Hazards of the Worlds and defeated 13 foes before the Horde overwhelmed them!

Ra got an early Flame Barrier and Tempest got Flash Flood for two easy kills. Other than that, it was pretty much "Hope we can not die". It got interesting when Tempest bit it and was able to make Ra immune to a damage type until Tempest's next turn. With Flesh of the Sun god it was pretty funny until Matthew showed up.

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Interesting idea, this.  But I think the game I'm currently playing - Grand Warlord Voss in the Final Wasteland - is a better take on the same concept.  Maybe take out the Flagships and the two Lieutenants and ignore most of Voss's own abilities, including the overrun victory...basically, the Minions just become more Cryptids, and Voss becomes the boss of the whole horde, but virtually impossible to hurt.  Restricting the hero selection is a good idea though...I'm playing with Ra and he makes it way too easy.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Kingofsouls

I quess you could add the mionions

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.