The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Definitive Edition: Hooray Post! [Topic Split]

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Godai
Godai's picture
Definitive Edition: Hooray Post! [Topic Split]

Since the other post has started to trend in an acrimonious direction, I hereby declare Alternate Timelines! All posts in favor of the Definitive Edition go here. All post's opposed, go to the other one. Begin!

Godai
Godai's picture

I for one am looking forward to the DE. Updated rules clarifications!

OddballPaladin

The Scenarios/missions are intriguing. Maybe we'll finally get the Rook City heroes updated a bit.

But... see boo thread.

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

One cool thing they are doing is that conversion guide, so you don't need to wait to try out playing as your favorite hero in the new rule setting and can try them out right away. And if you like the way and old one played more bring it forward, so thats neat.

Also the chance to finally do a father/daughter legacy team up, thats neat.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

fjur
fjur's picture

Cult of Gloom: "Also the chance to finally do a father/daughter legacy team up, thats neat."

Wait, what? I haven't been following the reveals very closely, so I was unaware that this is going to be a thing. How's that going to happen? Is it just the fact that one has two Legacy decks, or are there actual rules to support this?

This space was intentionally left blank.

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Well, if they have conversion rules for running the old decks in the new system then in theory you could do legacy's old deck and legacy's new deck in the same game. In theory

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm excited about it, personally, since the changes so far seem to address long-standing issues I've seen people have about the game.

It addresses Adam's long-standing unhappiness with his art, which I've also seen be a sticking point for people not already invested in Sentinels.

It also addresses many issues people have had with balancing in the game, ranging from making characters and cards often perceived as weak stronger, to making overly punishing earlier villains more in line with later villains. I'll be interested to see how they address villains like Miss Information and Spite who are currently heavily disliked by the fanbase or heroes like Expat that are currently often viewed as universally weak.

There's also meta things like repackaging the game into six expansions from the current situation of a multitude of individual products that often have people confusedly asking on Reddit what they need to buy to actually have everything.

Then there's the addition of new content like the new First Appearance variants and the scenarios.

My reasons for being unsure are purely personal logistics (mostly lack of closet space and lack of offline people to play with even before the pandemic), not because I'm not excited by the content, because I am excited.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm looking forward to this! :D 

During playtesting, we got a good look at what's coming. My spouse literally won't play some heroes (e.g., Fanatic) until Definitive Edition is available, because they are just so much more fun, better balanced, and more interesting thematically!

While I don't like the 90s-style art (which isn't a surprise, since I didn't like it then, either ;-) I _love_ the rest of it! Adam truly outdid himself with it!!! 

I joked a long time ago that I didn't sleeve my SotM cards because I knew there would be a new version coming, eventually, Even after playing bi-weekly for nearly ten years, my cards are still in pretty decent shape -- but it's still going to be worth the expense to buy the new version. And while it's coming out, we'll still be able to play the old one! :-D 

(One thing I love about the current game is how different heroes appeal to different types of players, and that not every hero is going to appeal to everyone. I hope that doesn't change and will be providing my feedback to help mitigate that risk.)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Fynikz

"During playtesting, we got a good look at what's coming. My spouse literally won't play some heroes (e.g., Fanatic) until Definitive Edition is available, because they are just so much more fun, better balanced, and more interesting thematically!"

"I'll be interested to see how they address villains like Miss Information and Spite who are currently heavily disliked by the fanbase or heroes like Expat that are currently often viewed as universally weak."

These were exactly my thought when I heard that. I was overjoyed. I love Sentinels, but there's some part of it that really showed their age in terms of old heroes vs. new heroes and villain design. I love Sentinels, but when I play with casual friends, I find we end up skipping a large quantity of the villains all the time and some heroes literally never get picked. I always wanted a second edition and was really disappointed Oblivaeon was "the end" with no hope of erratas or re-releases.

There's a lot of stuff just from the Letters Page that I was hype to hear, and all the playtesters seem to have really positive experiences, so I'm all aboard. Especially hearing how excited Christopher and Adam are about it, it feels much more like a project they truly wanted and enjoyed than any raw attempt to grab money.

fjur
fjur's picture

I think the change from "Equipment" to "Item" is a good move. "Item" has better connotations and nuances.

This space was intentionally left blank.