The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Creating homebrewed decks for RPG characters?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Creating homebrewed decks for RPG characters?

Was curious if anyone else was creating Sentinels of the Multiverse decks for their RPG characters? :-D Not looking for folks to actually post decks, just curious if I was the only person geeky enough to do this... ;-)  

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

fjur
fjur's picture

Oh, I'd be geeky enough to do it, but as I recently expressed in another thread, "I am unfairly biased against 'unofficial' material for no reason." I just think I wouldn't be able to balance it properly.

This space was intentionally left blank.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I think if enough were done, they would start getting samey after a while.

But really, it'd be better if you played through a few collections to really get a handle on what the character does, rather than just using the fresh character sheet. :)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

(Comically, my first two RPG characters are based on SotM decks I created years ago, so I had a good understanding of how I _wanted_ them to work in the RPG right off the bat! ;-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Jimeni
Playtester

For a while, my wife and I were working on a D&D Sentinels set. The heroes were things like dwarf cleric, dragonborn paladin, tiefling sorceress, human bard, etc. (except the characters had actual names). We had villains like an orc necromancer, dragon, evil wizard. And environments like abandoned village, a dungeon or caverns, etc.

I believe our numbers were the same as the base Sentinels core set ... 10 heroes, 4 villains, 4 environments. Essentially, we were making a standalone expansion to SotM, but that was meant to be compatible, so you could mix and match. And I think we even did that with a couple of games.

It was something I'd always wished Greater Than Games would do -- expanding their core Play, Power, Draw mechanic to another genre like fantasy/D&D but still be compatible -- but when it became clear GtG wasn't going to do something like that, we just made our own.

Man, that was a blast. We should break that out again sometime!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

In a way, some of the existing Sentinels heroes are like Fantasy classes - I realised that when I noticed that that was a trait shared by some of my favourite decks - the Adept is a Bard, the Naturalist is a Druid, (Void Guard) Writhe is some kind of creepy shadow-creature-that's-totally-not-out-to-eat-your-soul,-honest. And some of the villains are similarly Fantasy-ish, like Gloomy or Akash'Bhuta. And environments like the Ream of Discord or Tomb of Anubis. Lots of stuff from Infernal Relics here, probably by no coincidence as that's basically the "Fantasy" expansion and therefore has a lot of stuff I like :D.

There are also several Cauldron (a highly popular fan expansion) heroes with Fantasy-ish themes. There's Necro, who raises zombies. The Knight, who...well, I mean, it's in the name ;). There's Malachai, whose thing is summoning various different djinn to help him. The Lady of the Wood is a Druidic spellcaster/nature spirit thingy, and so on.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)