The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Beginner's Help

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
333Otto
Beginner's Help

My Father  and I have just starting playing Sentinels the card game. I am ok playing this game, but my father has no experience playing games like this. Were are playing a very simple game with Baron Blade as the villan. No enviroment, and just two heroes. Just trying to learn the basic rules. And what we were wondering was,  What two heroes would be the best to play with? 

Thanks in advance

God Bless

catDreaming

Unfortunately, the game isn't really balanced around there only being two heroes, or around there not being an environment. 

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Legacy and Ra are the two most straightforward heroes, I'd say. Though Legacy will take more damage from Baron Blade since they're nemeses.

Good luck to you, my dad couldn't grasp the most basic concepts of Sentinels, so I've never gotten to play it with him. :B

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, it's a 1-5 player game, but a 3-5 hero game. If there are two players, suggestion is for each to play 2 heroes (which is what we do at home) or have one person play 2 heroes (which might be better for you so your dad can just focus on one?). Playing just 2 heroes will be nearly impossible, and will result is issues with the (H) mechanic that's used to balance the game. 

No environment will likely be a little easier, but it's not something I've ever tried and will remove a lot of the fun of the game. You might want to try a more friendly environment to help things, but I don't know what you have available to you... :-( 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

My starter game is usually Baron Blade in Insula Primalis, with heroes as Legacy (usually played by me) and a choice of usually Ra, Tempest, Wraith, or Tachyon for whomever else I'm teaching. If I'm only teaching one person I use Dark Visionary as a second hero so I can control things and hopefully make the game a bit easier on the new player :D. Legacy and Ra go well together in terms of damage, and add in Insula Primalis and it can get plain silly :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

OddballPaladin

Ra and Legacy on a team against Baron Blade on Insula Primalis is a good idea. If you don't mind trying to play two characters, I would say either Tempest or Bunker for simplicity.

My group's first game was against Blade on IP, too. It went downhill after that, as one person tried Absolute Zero, and another had Ra. Ra's Imbue Fire is not a good idea when AZ can't get his gear out. We did better against Omnitron, but Omni can be a pain to manage with his constant flipping.

Blackfang108
Playtester

OddballPaladin wrote:
We did better against Omnitron, but Omni can be a pain to manage with his constant flipping.

This reminds me when I was teaching some people Sentinels, and we played against Baron Blade, and then against Omnitron.

Because Baron Blade gets new HP on his second side, they legit thought Omnitron had two 90-hp pools.

*shudder*

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Legacy gets less powerful when he has fewer teammates to boost. Perhaps Ra and Wraith.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel