The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

New game: Freedom Five

147 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The latest newsletter is here: https://mailchi.mp/9f724e95f3e8/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-ga...

We have box art previews, ability card previews, and mini previews!

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Damn, that looks cool! The Bunker figure especially. :D And I love Legacy's expression on Fortitude.

I still need to go try out the game this is based on! Do I want it or not? XD

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

If I spy it correctly, is that Chrono-Ranger and Guise on the panel with Friction on the left?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Hadn't looked at the side but it looks like them to me too.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

That's definitely a different take on Legacy!  Very cool, especially the sculpts.

Man, I wish I enjoyed Defenders of the Realm better.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sounds like they're making improvements and general changes to the original to create this, so maybe you'll enjoy it? :-)  

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, likely.  And I understand Defenders of the Last Stand is better, too.  But that personally drops me from "Kickstart" immediately to "wait and see."

Submit your games here!

morph147

Kinda curious the price. A lot of good kickstarters in October.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

morph147 wrote:
A lot of good kickstarters in October.

Ooo... Do I want to know what's coming? ;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Godai
Godai's picture

Rabit wrote:
morph147 wrote:

A lot of good kickstarters in October.

Ooo... Do I want to know what's coming? ;-)

...Winter.

I’ll show myself out.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Godai wrote:
...Winter.
I’ll show myself out.

X-D

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The next newsletter is up! https://mailchi.mp/ed816d5ff9b6/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-ga...

More looks at gameplay, minis, and ability cards.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Interesting that each of the heroes have an alter ego ability.  Absolute Zero isn't ever out of suit except when he's back in his cryo-chamber.

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh, this is very exciting. :D

liarliar
liarliar's picture

MindWanderer wrote:
Interesting that each of the heroes have an alter ego ability.  Absolute Zero isn't ever out of suit except when he's back in his cryo-chamber.

Yeah, I wonder if his might be him in the chamber - either recovering from damage, or maybe providing assistance and advice to other heroes? I’ll be very interested to see.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

MindWanderer wrote:
Interesting that each of the heroes have an alter ego ability.

Also a "personal task".

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Also, he's Frozone-style ice surfing now! And his mini looks *awesome.*

Yeah, the alter ego thing is really interesting. Since the gameplay has, until now, seemed focused on superheroics, I wonder what happens in the gameplay to encourage (or force) players to flip back to their alter ego. There must either be problems that can only be solved in mild-mannered mode, things the villain can do to force you to adopt your alter identity, or a cooldown on how long you can stay in costume.

Anybody else open up the image with the overview of components and zoom in? Besides hints about hero stats and abilities, there's a reference to "the scenario comic."

morph147

have we been told prices yet on the regular box and the heroic box? Also how long the kickstarter will run for?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

We only know what has been provided in the email updates and that information has not been shared.   Only piece I'd guess on is the KS length as those usually default to around a month.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

New newsletter already! https://mailchi.mp/dd9438c278bc/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-ga...

We have a video of AZ's mini being colored, pricing tier breakdown, a look at the places in Megalopolis, a peek at the Bystander, Special (with special guest hero appearance!), and Anarchy cards, and finally a totally boss pic of Baron Blade.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, that was a _great_ update! :-D 

Pricing was better than I expected, also. Should be an interesting Kickstarter! ;-) 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Hey, it's Parse! :D

I like the way these anarchy cards work, too. You can just clear them, or clear them with a benefit, or fail and get wrecked. :)

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Yeah, they look really cool! I’m excited to see what other challenges and support characters show up in game. 

(Although my repressed anarchist side feels like the Anarchy cards could do with a rename :P )

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Second to last newsletter: https://mailchi.mp/cac80cbe9da3/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-ga...

This one has lots of villain-related-things previews, more hero ability card previews, and a truly awesome Baron Blade mini!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Ambuscade is not allowed to look that cool. >:B

I really love how they've forgone flavor text on the cards in favor of the art being basically an entire page of a comic book. :D

You're right, that Blade mini is incredible.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Yeah, I normally love me all the flavor text, but... that art. So tempting.

It's like the Distracted Boyfriend meme with me as the dude, the Freedom Five Artist(s) as the lady in red, and Adam as the horrified girlfriend. >_>

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Except Adam is also looking at the art with admiration. ;-) But yeah, agreed! :-D 

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Jeysie wrote:

My guess is that not having flavor text was another concession on the "less additional work for Christopher" front.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

WalkingTarget wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

My guess is that not having flavor text was another concession on the "less additional work for Christopher" front.

I doubt that makes it easier: you still have to flesh out the story beats, whether there are words or not?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

The Dice Tower video channel has a playthrough later this week, for those interested.  I'll certainly be curious to see the differences from the Defenders of the X games, as well as what we can expect.

Godai
Godai's picture

And the final pre-newsletter has gone out. It has the prices. ...ouch. $50 for the base game seems fair. $99 to include 6(+?) unpainted miniatures seems... excessive. $199 for all the bells and whistles is staggering. Thoughts?

Jimeni
Playtester

Godai wrote:
And the final pre-newsletter has gone out. It has the prices. ...ouch. $50 for the base game seems fair. $99 to include 6(+?) unpainted miniatures seems... excessive. $199 for all the bells and whistles is staggering. Thoughts?

Yeah. $49 extra for 6 unpainted minis does seem a lot, but I suspect/hope there's more than that what with stretch goals and all.
But I think I was already leaning toward the retail version anyway, as I have enough games with unpainted minis and don't have the skills, or time, to paint them. And I'm starting to think standees are just better for me personally because ... color! But we shall see. Can't wait to know more about this game/Kickstarter campaign.
I'm looking forward to the Dice Tower playthrough of it tommorow, though I likely won't be watching it live.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Jimeni wrote:
Godai wrote:

Yeah. $49 extra for 6 unpainted minis does seem a lot, but I suspect/hope there's more than that what with stretch goals and all.
But I think I was already leaning toward the retail version anyway, as I have enough games with unpainted minis and don't have the skills, or time, to paint them. And I'm starting to think standees are just better for me personally because ... color! But we shall see. Can't wait to know more about this game/Kickstarter campaign.
I'm looking forward to the Dice Tower playthrough of it tommorow, though I likely won't be watching it live.

Three words: Low production runs.

Looking it up, mass-market produced unpainted minis seem to run about $1-2 per mini, so ~$8/mini for a low production run is about what I'd expect. Ditto for some of the other extras which run into the same "low print run" deal.

I worked at a graphic design & sign shop for a time as their secretary, and raw amount of units made (cards, sheets, whatever) has a significant impact on the per unit pricing.

Not that this is intended to argue that it's cheap from an overall standpoint, but they're honestly not gouging people.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also, I get the impression the box is larger and ready for expansions, which the $49 level does not have. It's not just the minis. 

The newsletter wrote:
- Core Game Components*
- Heroes & Masterminds upgraded to miniatures
- Kickstarter Exclusive Deluxe Box & Smart Storage System.

I _am_ disappointed there are Kickstarter-exclusive aspects, but I'm still going in on it. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Rabit wrote:
Also, I get the impression the box is larger and ready for expansions, which the $49 level does not have. It's not just the minis. 

The newsletter wrote:

- Core Game Components*
- Heroes & Masterminds upgraded to miniatures
- Kickstarter Exclusive Deluxe Box & Smart Storage System.

I _am_ disappointed there are Kickstarter-exclusive aspects, but I'm still going in on it. 

Same. I'm willing to drop the extra for possible stretch goals, it'll probably be worth it.

And then I won't be buying anything else for the rest of the year... :B

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Hopefully stretch goals unlock more. I'm used to a lot more variability from Sentinels and Spirit Island, so $50-200 for five heroes and one mastermind seems kinda steep.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I misread the pledge levels, so it turns out the base version gets all the stretch goals too. :) That's fine by me, especially since shipping is up in the air.

Anyone else think that Guise pic they used for the stretch goals header is terrifying? XD

Godai
Godai's picture

I'm in for the $50 version, will update my pledge as more info comes out. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Wow, they ran out of the $499 "get your face in the game" tier already.

I'm not hugely stoked about this so far.  It's gorgeous, but $200 is a lot to drop on a game that isn't even out yet.  And I'm not a fan of Kickstarter exclusives even if I'm getting them.  Oh, and shipping not included, which makes sense, but remember to add about $15 (if in the US) to what you expect to pay.

Jeysie wrote:

Looking it up, mass-market produced unpainted minis seem to run about $1-2 per mini, so ~$8/mini for a low production run is about what I'd expect. Ditto for some of the other extras which run into the same "low print run" deal.
I worked at a graphic design & sign shop for a time as their secretary, and raw amount of units made (cards, sheets, whatever) has a significant impact on the per unit pricing.
Not that this is intended to argue that it's cheap from an overall standpoint, but they're honestly not gouging people.

The minis by themselves are available as an add-on for $15 (6 minis).  The other $35 is the box, and we all know how expensive boxes can be.  Looks like they're charging $10 each to upgrade from unpainted to painted minis.

Submit your games here!

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

I'll be sitting at the $5 Pledge-Mananger-Access level for most of the campaign. It ends on a payday, but I still don't see upgrading much past the $49 retail level. I understanding (and accept) their pricing strategy, but, you know, pandemic, blah, blah, blah.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TakeWalker wrote:
Anyone else think that Guise pic they used for the stretch goals header is terrifying? XD

YES!!! :-o

Godai
Godai's picture

Have now watched (nearly all of) the Dice Tower playthrough just now, and man, that looks frakin' hard. Like, I'm not sure I'm going to back it levels of hard. This might be the first Kickstarter I back out of. I'll continue to watch videos, and see if things get clearer, but for now, I'm officially on the fence. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Godai wrote:
Have now watched (nearly all of) the Dice Tower playthrough just now, and man, that looks frakin' hard.

Do you mean "hard" as in hard to win, or "hard" as in hard to play?

Godai
Godai's picture

Rabit wrote:
Godai wrote:

Have now watched (nearly all of) the Dice Tower playthrough just now, and man, that looks frakin' hard.

Do you mean "hard" as in hard to win, or "hard" as in hard to play?

Hard to win, medium on play. From my inexperienced eye, they all looked like they made decent to good choices each turn, and they still got stomped on. For scenario 1 of a campaign mode, there was nothing there to feel good about.

morph147

Can someone help me out with the kickstarter here. My reading skills is either not working or I am not clear. I am looking at the kickstarter and the heroic box. What exactly comes in this thing that is different than the retail box? It is throwing me off because then I go down to add-ons and reading it I feel like a lot of these add-ons are already in the box. It is leaving me a bit confused on what exaxtly I want to order from this.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

No worries!

• Hero only includes the (unpainted) "Core Game Miniatures" and the "Delux Box and Smart Storage System" (in addition to the core game). 
  • Citizen only has the core game. 
  • Sentinel has almost all of the things.  

Let's see if dropping the KS graphic in here will work...

Godai
Godai's picture

I'll try.

$49 = Basic game

$99 = Basic game + bigger box/storage trays + 6(+?) unpainted miniatures 

$199 = everything 

morph147

Ok so reading through this the only add on you get at the hero level is the unpainted minatures they mention? everything else you would have to add on seperately?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
Ok so reading through this the only add on you get at the hero level is the unpainted minatures they mention? everything else you would have to add on seperately?

That's correct, everything else listed under 'Add-Ons' is part of the $200 'Sentinel' level but not the $100 'Hero' level.

Pages