The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

stubborn solidity question

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
kazaasaky
stubborn solidity question

when i play fast power stubborn solidity in a land with a dahan (defend,1).

and i add 1 dahan to that land  by event card effect (like coming on age), now that land 2 dahan.

in this case, what is the defend  value that land have? 1? 2?

Ironeye
Playtester

Land-targeting power set their Defend value when they are used, so the land has Defend 1.

kazaasaky

thank you!

where can i find 'power set their Defend value when they are used' in rulebook?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It's a general rule of the game, you generate effects at the time you target/use the power, not before and not after (unless the power says otherwise). If there are two Explorers in a land and you can destroy upto 3, you don't get to destroy a third one later on if something moves it in there. You also would not remove something you generated if a condition changes e.g. a targeted power generates defend 2 for each Dahan in a land, you do not lower that defend if the Dahan leave that land, it persists until the end of the turn.

The closest we have (that I can find) to an FAQ is this

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Doesn't Stubborn Solidity say you can't change the number of Dahan? Or is that a different card...

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:
Doesn't Stubborn Solidity say you can't change the number of Dahan? Or is that a different card...

Good question, but the Dahan cannot be moved out of the land targeted by Stubborn Solidity; they can be moved in:
Can Dahan be moved into a land affected by Stubborn Solidity?

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah but that's moving, not adding. They specifically cited Coming of Age, which creates a new one.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Huhhhhh... I've been playing this generally wrong, and evaluating Defense at the time of Ravage. Okay!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

No, I think the Defend changes with the number of Dahan. I just don't think you can add more, specifically with Stubborn Solidity.

-- Trajector

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I'm looking at this:

Matchstickman wrote:
The closest we have (that I can find) to an FAQ is this

I had been playing that you execute the power to generate the effect, but you evaluate the total amount of defense at the time that damage happens (usually during ravages). So if, say, an Event changed the number of Dahan - in general, not specifically related to Stubborn Solidity - you would get more or less defense. Based on that FAQ, I guess I was wrong.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:
So if, say, an Event changed the number of Dahan - in general, not specifically related to Stubborn Solidity - you would get more or less defense.

This is correct. The one exception are things with a global effect, notably Encompassing Ward (FAQ linked).

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:
Yeah but that's moving, not adding. They specifically cited Coming of Age, which creates a new one.

You're still not affecting the existing Dahan. This is allowed.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I'm confused. Let's say you use a power that says "Defend 1 per Dahan in target land" on a land with 2 Dahan, and then an event adds one Dahan. You're saying the total amount of defense in that land is now 3? The Trees and Stones Speak of War FAQ seems to say that the amount of defense remains 2.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Dpt, it doesn't say "the existing Dahan can't be affected." It says "the number of Dahan in target land cannot be changed." Adding more changes the number. Therefore, I think you can't do it.

-- Trajector

catDreaming

To actually put the card text:

"Defend 1 per Dahan.
Dahan in target land cannot be changed.
( When they would be damaged, destroed, removed, replaced, or moved, don't. )"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. When Stubborn Solidity activates, you count the number of Dahan in that land, and Defend that land for that much until the turn ends. At the same time, that land gains 'Dahan in this land cannot be changed' as specified on the card until end of turn. Nothing stops Dahan from being added to the land.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah that sounds like "You can't do anything to change the Dahan that are already here, but you can add more, at which point those ones also can't be changed".

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, that wording is slightly different than how I had remembered it.

I remembered it as "the NUMBER of Dahan in target land cannot be changed." That does make more sense, with the correct wording.

-- Trajector