The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Letter’s Page Topic Suggestions

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Godai
Godai's picture
Letter’s Page Topic Suggestions

Making a new thread for folks to suggest Topics for the Letters Page to cover, with the idea being that topics suggested here would then be posted on the Patreon the next time Topic Submissions are open. Not everyone is A) a Patron, or B) filled with their own ideas for topics to suggest.

If this takes off, maybe an admin could sticky this post so it is always available as time goes on?

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

I Helped!

Bassed on the theory that all the printed RPG adventures are based on Sentinels Comics published by the company- How did the official cannon stories of each adventure go? (obviously long after the adventure has been out)

Writers room - A Freedom Five issue from back when Haka was a member

Creative Process? - Other than Unity what scene or element from the old Freedom Five cartoon has most often been referenced in comics or other media ( Real world the Hall of Justice and Legion of Doom Darth Vader head base from Super Friends are reused a lot and the new cartoon created characters of Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief , and Eldorado are often referenced)

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Writers' Room Topics:

• An issue from Mister Fixer's days as Black Fist (full on blaxploitation, grindhouse comic here)
  • An issue from Captain Cosmic and Parse in space together, doing their spacefaring thing.
  • An issue from the Dok'Thorath Civil War, featuring Prime Wardens
  • An issue featuring Nightmist training Harpy, wherein something goes terribly wrong
  • An issue where a villain actually *wins* 
  • An issue wherein the heroes outsmart the Celestial Tribunal
  • A 'swords-and-sorcery' story, in the vein of Conan or Red Sonya

Creative Process:

• Allies of the Cult of Gloom (demons, otherworldly beings, etc.)
  • MacGuffins of the Multiverse (items that appear in numerous storylines, like the Infinity Gauntlet, the Anti-Life Equation, or the White Lantern Battery)
  • A day in the life at Sentinel Plaza (what's life like as a fledgeling hero?)
  • Strange Bedfellows (times when hero and villain had to come together to achieve some greater goal; also, failed crossovers between heroes)
  • Character-definining Arcs (those arcs that truly *changed* the way a character was viewed, like Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, or Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle)
  • Guest Authors in the Multiverse (arcs created by the SC-universe's featured authors, rather than comics-specific writers, in the vein of Ta-Nahesi Coates, Anthony Bourdain, or Neil Gaiman)
  • "Sentinels Beyond" (a reimagining of Sentinels heroes in the far future, a la Batman Beyond)
  • "Sentinels 1602" (see above, only for Marvel 1602)
  • Life in the Multiverse (favorite chains, restaurants, hotels, etc that have become ubiquitous over the comics history and the stories that have occurred therein)

Other:

• Expatriette kills the Multiverse (just so it's here for posterity; I know it's already been suggested)
  • Conflicts behind the scenes (those times where the actual SC writers' room clashed over stories, characters, or other items)
  • The 70s Renaissance (featuring that enigmatic writer who revamped Argent Adept and Nightmist, among others)
  • The Iron Age (the minds behind reinventing the Wraith, building up Parse and Expatriette, and the focus on street-level heroes)
  • Merchandising! (all the *stuff* that gets made with the various Sentinels characters.  Playsets, action figures, toy contracts.  The Toys that Made Us, but for SotM)
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I have but two desires.

A one-off Writer's Room -- emphasis on the ONE -- where Adam and Christopher write what's considered to be the worst issues in the metaverse. I'm not saying it has to be the one where Fanatic tries out other religions, but that's along the lines of quality and fan reaction I'm talking here.

Just one issue.

And then we never have to do it again.

Also this, of course:

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
Expatriette kills the Multiverse (just so it's here for posterity; I know it's already been suggested)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I've been fascinated by the Termi-Nation event for some time, specifically, the aspect where in that story the Freedom Five is starting to have second thoughts about the government's intentions and struggles with doing the right thing in the face of seemingly questionable orders. I'd love to see the story fully fleshed out with Legacy, Bunker, and Tachyon's reactions to that scenario.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Trajector wrote:
I've been fascinated by the Termi-Nation event for some time, specifically, the aspect where in that story the Freedom Five is starting to have second thoughts about the government's intentions and struggles with doing the right thing in the face of seemingly questionable orders. I'd love to see the story fully fleshed out with Legacy, Bunker, and Tachyon's reactions to that scenario.

Damn, knew I missed an important one!

Yes, I'd absolutely like a full breakdown of the Termi-Nation event and the repercussions therefrom...

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Maggie and I talked about this once on YouTube but- Adam as art director going through the RPG to point out what was his art and what was done by others and what direction he had given to the contracted artist, calling out their names and possibly video chatting with them to discuss the creative process

Bring in Professor Christopher McGlothlin and Darren Watts to discuss The History of Sentinel Comics

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Writers room - a normal issue of a Vertex line comic; one of the decent stories when most people still trusted the writers and they had not gone off the deep end yet.

Creative process - cover gallery - many 2nd party sources and sometimes publishers themselves will publish reprints of famous covers

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Bring in someone from Underbite games and talk about Sentinels of Freedom- possibly when the RPG adventuer tie in is coming out or has been out for long enought to discus plot or to support the chapter 2 release of Sentinels of Freedom

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

They did an episode about power sources that basically went through the 20 power sources in the RPG how about talking about all the Backgrounds and all the archetypes. What real world comics best show off that Background or Archetype what Sentinels characters best exemplify that a option.

Lawyers and judges are "Law Enforcement" there's Dare Devil and Captain Cosmic.

Are there any Sentinels that don't fit any of the 18 normal archetypes and will need to wait for new books to add new options to get stats. ( You could build Parse as a Gadgeteer or a Reality Shaper but I think Hypercognitive needs it's own archetype. I also hope Captain Cosmic and Idealist get a true Constructionist archetype instead of Psychic or Minion Maker, Of course I also hope that when we get a Prime Wardens book we have other options for a dedicated frontline fighter than Powerhouse and Close Quarters Combat)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

A few random thoughts:

• I'd like them to bring in Dave Chalker and talk about his perspective on the RPG, how that came about, what it was like to work with GtG in general and C&A in particular, what his challenges were from a mechanical perspective, and of course answering the tough rules questions.
  • Writer's Room: an undiscussed imprint.  Other than Disparation, we haven't seen stories about non-canon storylines, but Marvel and DC are full of this stuff.  Entire series, some short and some that go on for years, that reboot specific heroes and aren't canon to the main universe(s), or where everyone is a high school student, or where all the superheroes have super pets/kids and the stories are about the pets/kids, or where everything is basically the same but more kid-friendly, or that cross over with other properties, etc., etc.
  • Spinning off that last thought, a crossover story with Castle Comics (Earth-Prime) with one or more guests from Green Ronin.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Okay, I'm finally almost through my latest re-listen, and this time I was actually taking notes! :-o

Here's my list of potential episode requests that Christopher and Adam have mentioned, removing suggestions that have already been provided in this thread (e.g., Termi-Nation event -- which I _really_ want to hear!): 

• Silver Gulch event (from Ep #29, et al)
  • Disparation on Citizen Storm, Arataki, Argent Artist, etc. (from Ep #59)
  • Disparation on Tempest initially encountering a villain instead of F5 (from Ep #59)
  • Disparation on Con meeting Haka (from Ed Note #15)
  • The story of Captain Cosmic and the Black Hole (from Ep #63)
  • Disparation V2 #150 - La Commadora goes to the Extremiverse! (from Ep #72 - I personally have no interest in this one, but am including it for completeness)
  • Story of Zhu Long's return after Dark Watch recovered Mr. Fixer (from Ep #75)
  • Universe Numbering System (from Ep #81, et al)
  • Singular Entities (from Ed Note #37) - They recently said this would have to wait for a while, though, so maybe once Prime War is better understood? 
  • Ambuscade Hunting Ra (from Ed Note #37)
  • Resolution of Hunted Fanatic (from Ep #131)
  • Nexus Primalis Creative Process (from Ed Note #37)
  • Black Fist & Legacy in the Enclave of the Endlings (from Ep #129)
  • Adam & Immutus (This is a joke!!! Do Not Submit!!!)
  • Captain Cosmic and Galatra's child (from Ed Note #37)
  • A Writer's Room from Vengeance (from Recapsode 2019) 
  • Wraith's supporting characters (from Recapsode 2019)
  • Disparation V1 #2 - World without The Wraith (from Ep #134)
  • Disparation V1 #3 - Evil Visionary (from Ep #134)
  • Disparation - World without Legacy (from Ep #134)
  • Disparation - Ryan Frost has a happy life (from Ep #134 -- This is a joke!!! Do Not Submit!!!)
  • Legacy's wedding, or some other wedding episode like Tachyon's (from Ep #134)
  • Time Cataclysm one-shot (from Ep #137)
  • Draw one-shot (from Ep #137)
  • A "rogues gallery" or some other "grab-bag" episode specifically to include the pheonix (from Ed Note #38)
  • The end of Captain Cosmic's "Dying Star" story arc (from Ed Note #38)

And some mentioned Christmas episodes we could submit, but have to make sure we time them appropriately! ;-)

• Apostate Christmas (from Ep #131)
  • Year without Santa Claus - F5 (from Ep #131)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm pretty sure we got told that while they want to do a Singular Entities episode but that it wouldn't be one they could actually do in detail until much later.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I know they're waiting on things for at least Prime War, if not something else. Just didn't want to lose it. :-) 

Updated with a note to that effect. Thanks! 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Sea-Envy wrote:
<p>They did an episode about power sources that basically went through the 20 power sources in the RPG how about talking about all the Backgrounds and all the archetypes. What real world comics best show off that Background or Archetype what Sentinels characters best exemplify that a option. </p>
<p>Lawyers and judges are "Law Enforcement" there's Dare Devil and Captain Cosmic.</p>
<p>Are there any Sentinels that don't fit any of the 18 normal archetypes and will need to wait for new books to add new options to get stats. ( You could build Parse as a Gadgeteer or a Reality Shaper but I think Hypercognitive needs it's own archetype. I also hope Captain Cosmic and Idealist get a true Constructionist archetype instead of Psychic or Minion Maker,  Of course I also hope that when we get a Prime Wardens book we have other options for a dedicated frontline fighter than Powerhouse and Close Quarters Combat)</p>

​​​​​Gadgeteer is Parse though, there isn't a Sentinels hero it fits better than her. Its all about mental capability and analysis and actually nothing to do with gadgets if you read the description, the defining required powerset is Intellectual (so, again nothing to do with gadgets) and even get a Parse card name into the abilities and about half of them named analyze/analysis. It's really kinda a bad name for the archetype.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

No better way to get people to submit something than to say "This is a joke! Do not submit!" XD

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TakeWalker wrote:
No better way to get people to submit something than to say "This is a joke! Do not submit!" XD

*walks off whistling to self, looking innocent*

;-)

(I really miss emojis... :-( )

Powerhound_2000

Under3 wrote:
​​​​​Gadgeteer is Parse though, there isn't a Sentinels hero it fits better than her. Its all about mental capability and analysis and actually nothing to do with gadgets if you read the description, the defining required powerset is Intellectual (so, again nothing to do with gadgets) and even get a Parse card name into the abilities and about half of them named analyze/analysis. It's really kinda a bad name for the archetype.

This doesn’t seem like a topic submission but just a question in general to send in about why they went with Gadgeteer.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Rabit wrote:
Disparation on Citizen Storm, Arataki, Argent Artist, etc. (from Ep #59)
Singular Entities (from Ed Note #37) - They recently said this would have to wait for a while, though, so maybe once Prime War is better understood?

I've actually submitted both of these in the past. FWIW. One under "Arataki's Universe" and one under "Singular Entities 101". The latter at least I know has gotten a statement to wait until Prime War has solidified/revealed things more, and I think the former was waiting on the RPG books.

Rabit wrote:
Disparation - Ryan Frost has a happy life (from Ep #134 -- This is a joke!!! Do Not Submit!!!)

What do you mean "joke"? I want my episode where Ryan is doing a journalist project covering some jazz concert and supervillains attack and as a side effect of their methods Ryan ends up with some sort of writing-based superpowers and helps the F4 save the day while making lame writing/music puns.

THIS IS A THING I WANT NOW THAT YOU PUT IT IN MY HEAD. :P

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeysie wrote:
What do you mean "joke"? I want my episode where Ryan is doing a journalist project covering some jazz concert and supervillains attack and as a side effect of their methods Ryan ends up with some sort of writing-based superpowers and helps the F4 save the day while making lame writing/music puns.
THIS IS A THING I WANT NOW THAT YOU PUT IT IN MY HEAD. :P

Well crap... :-\

Now I do, too. :-D

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Writer's room Guise book 39 or 40- the 3rd or 4rth part of the Guise and Scholar team up against Young La Capitan

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wipeout's limited series! :-D 

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

writer's room- Daybreak: the death of Aeon Girl

Powerhound_2000

Sea-Envy wrote:
writer's room- Daybreak: the death of Aeon Girl

They don’t talk much story in RPG as it is and as such I doubt this would even come up for a vote at this point.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Spooky Month special: Creative Process- "Death of <character>" gimmick covers
one in the bag already with America's Finest Legacy 236

I hear you Powerhound but they basically said that such a story would have been written so when we do get RPG timeline stories it couldn't hurt

I was planning to edit my post to add the new idea

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

A flashback story about one of the historial Legacies, told from the perspective of their unpowered younger sibling.  Probably a story of jealousy that turns into, "well, glad I'm not the one to get killed young and violently."

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Creative process the Shear Force adjacent properties of My Little Horsy and Care Dogs (with gems in their belies)

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

La Comadora in the X-treamiverse
X-treamatron vs the world
Public domain literary characters
creative process PSAs and Advertisements

Sai-Pro Sentinels Smash story mode- What is the order characters fight and what dialogue starts and ends each fight

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Very into just about everything C&A said "That's a good idea for an episode" about during the Gen Con Live episode. (It's on Youtube, you can watch it now!)

Most especially the PSA's Creative Process. :3

fjur
fjur's picture
  • Justice Comics #1, where it all started.

PS: I'm not sure if this has already been suggested (I don't feel like ready through ~30 posts right now).

This space was intentionally left blank.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Caught something I missed in earlier re-listens: In Ed Note #17, they provided the suggestion of an episode on Fashion. :-o 

Now I'm torn between that and Termi-Nation for my next submission... :-\ 

Powerhound_2000

Termi-Fashion

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I am all about Fashion. :D

I honestly do want to hear more about the heroes that got their own books or were major cameos in others', but never made it to the card game.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

I have been re-listening to the whole series and many early episodes had questions from Chris Burton
Chris is now on GtG staff could we get him in as a guest host some time to talk about his experiences and joining the team?
He may have talked about some of this when playing on You Tube but the stories are not know to the Letters Page

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sea-Envy wrote:
I have been re-listening to the whole series and many early episodes had questions from Chris Burton Chris is now on GtG staff could we get him in as a guest host some time to talk about his experiences and joining the team? He may have talked about some of this when playing on You Tube but the stories are not know to the Letters Page

FYI: Look forward to this coming up in The Letter's Page next week! :-)

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

nice
also now to go look at the cosplay pics of Ra

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cosmic Inversiverse (from #93)

Sea-Envy wrote:
now to go look at the cosplay pics of Ra

LOL :D

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Christopher and Adam read (edit) the Sentinels of the Multiverse TV Tropes page

Creative process Styling Shirley omnibus 2017- they would have reprinted old comics ( and made new content in the old style ) in preparation of the new Fashion series. To show what the old material was like and reintroduce characters and locations they were going to use. My theory is that the happy, light, girl comic was her delusional memories of how simple things were back on Earth while she was trapped in the Colosseum. Even with no unethical scumbags modeling is a high pressure, stressful job.

Writers room that time travel story where they went to King Arthur times and fought a dragon

A listening party where a large number of GTG staff with bingo cards in hand listen to one or two of the award winning podcasts and coment on things they might not have know or joke they now understand 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Sea-Envy wrote:
Creative process Styling Shirley omnibus 2017- they would have reprinted old comics ( and made new content in the old style ) in preparation of the new Fashion series. To show what the old material was like and reintroduce characters and locations they were going to use. My theory is that the happy, light, girl comic was her delusional memories of how simple things were back on Earth while she was trapped in the Colosseum. Even with no unethical scumbags modeling is a high pressure, stressful job.

Oh, this is great! :D

chrysaetoseagle

I'm not sure how to phrase it, but we really need to get the Clone Ranger story -- the event where Con gets corrupted and all that.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I definitely want that creative process on Tantrum. <.< I always thought she was neat, and at one point I even had her tapped to be a member of my team of little girl heroes until it was revealed she wasn't one. :B

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:
I definitely want that creative process on Tantrum. <.< I always thought she was neat, and at one point I even had her tapped to be a member of my team of little girl heroes until it was revealed she wasn't one. :B

She could be a Hero if her Inverse-iverse counterpart somehow ended up in the main universe. :)

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I kept the idea for the hero deck, she's just not going on the team. :)

Putting in a vote for A Day in the Life of Benchmark! I can't imagine that would be anything like what we might think it would be.