The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Bringer's special rule and repeating powers

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
AdamH
Bringer's special rule and repeating powers

Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares has a special rule that says that a single power can't destroy an invader more than once. If a power is repeated (by Powerstorm, or Earth's innate, or some major powers that allow you to repeat them if you hit an elemental threshold), can I destroy the same invader more than once if it's a different play of the same power?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yes you can "destroy" them again.

More detailed answer here.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

AdamH

OK thanks for your answer.

But that FAQ doesn't exactly inspire confidence -- it seems like the next statement is just wrong?

"This also means the Repeat cannot usefully combine Damage with its original - for instance a Repeated "2 Damage" Power couldn't do anything to an undamaged City. The original action would resolve, and 2 Damage isn't enough to destroy the City, so nothing happens. Then the second use of the Power resolves, and 2 Damage isn't enough to destroy the City, so nothing happens."

catDreaming

No, the second statement is correct.
Bringer's special rule locks out both damage and destruction effects.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Perhaps it should be clarified that the second part still applies only to Bringer and not to other spirits, otherwise I can see the confusion since two damage plus two damage (in the same turn) most definitely equals a dead City under normal circumstances...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The FAQ entry pointed to is explicitly calling out Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares in the question and about his special rule so that seems a bit redundant as it's not about any spirit in general.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

AdamH

Redundant as it may seem to you, it's what confused me about that statement. But thanks for clarifying

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I added "Bringer" to the last paragraph to make it clear we're still talking about the same Spirit.