The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Was there anything to see about this at Gen Con?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
FearLord
Was there anything to see about this at Gen Con?

I was expecting to hear more about Prime War coming out of Gen Con, but I haven’t really seen anything. Was there any news or anything notable?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I know demos were being run but I haven’t heard any major reports back regarding it. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What am I, chopped liver? Surely I wrote something about this. Let's go see ...

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/gencon-2019-19436

"I got a chance to play the co-op version of Prime War and enjoyed it. I have no idea if it will end up being a hit or not, but it seemed like a nice combination of easy enough to play and lots of interesting choices about how to play. Our scenario involved being sent to the Block to shut down the fighting between agents and inmates. A character has one card in play at a time, and it specifies which dice are used for defense as well as what action the character can take -- usually some combination of moving and attacking. After being used, a card is put into a recovery track (I'm getting the name wrong) and is put in different slots depending on the card, so some cards are returned faster than others. Cards have speeds on them, so can occur earlier or later in a turn."

"(Paul) (something about Dice Hate Me games?) and Prime War are midterm goal, rather than near term."

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

FearLord

Thanks - sounds interesting, but still in development. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

arenson9 wrote:
What am I, chopped liver?

You could be :D

Beyond your writeup I haven’t seen much else written even though demos seemed to filled up for most of GenCon

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I got to play in the team vs. team version. We'd tried it last year, also, and it is SOOOO much better! :-D We really enjoyed it, had interesting choices, and had fun. 

That's all I got, though. :-\ 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

FearLord wrote:
Thanks - sounds interesting, but still in development. 

Yes, it's still in development.

https://loreforgegames.wordpress.com/2019/07/05/new-co-op-and-gen-con-hype/

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Dryden Swordbreaker

My son and I played the Block co-op scenario at GenCon 2019.

I played Fanatic. He played Parse. Other folks played Writhe and Haka.

It's been many months ago now, so I don't remember the mechanics details well enough to describe them. However, I was really impressed by how much the characters really "felt like" the characters we know and love from SotM.

Fanatic's powers, many with the same names and similar effects, led her to dive into the fray and bust heads. Parse boosted everyone. Writhe seemed almost impossible to hit.

I left very excited about getting the finished version of the game. I had the impression they expected to have a near-finished product to play test at GenCon 2020, which now certainly won't happen. :(

Seems like my impression was overly optimistic, given the other posts I've been reading here, which makes me sad.

I've been impressed with the RPG, but honestly I don't have space in my life for an RPG. Too much effort required.

I'm hoping that Prime War will be a fresh way to play with my favorite characters and meet a few new ones.

They keep bringing it up on The Letters Page, so I'll keep hoping.

fenianb

Lore Forge Games also had one post-Gen Con update.which didn't have much info about con play but did have some pictures.

https://loreforgegames.wordpress.com/2019/10/02/a-scary-update/