The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

State of the Underbite Games Computer RPG Sentinels Game

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thrythlind
State of the Underbite Games Computer RPG Sentinels Game

Has anybody heard much about this recently?

Thrythlind, Thryth, Luke, any of these are fine.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If you’re a backer they posted right before GenCon about the status.  The main piece is that they have a majority of the work done and are spending time polishing it.   They expect to release a character creator piece to backers soon but didn’t commit to any date.   At GenCon they did have a demo people could play and the character creator there.  GtG talks briefly about it during their State of GtG Panel https://youtu.be/4sOqMzJHoL4

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

They have a Steam Page up with a Feb 2020 release https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Thrythlind

Unfortunately, the kickstarter was over before I know it was a thing. But good to have info. 

Thrythlind, Thryth, Luke, any of these are fine.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

there is a new update they are redoing a good bit of the combat user interface information display 

attack type vs deffense type is based on the sound effect that the attacks make

you defend against THOKK! diferently than ZAAKT!

also it will show to hit chance, potential damage, and such in an info pannel when attacks are choosen 

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

Powerhound_2000

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I was feeling intense trepidation over that type matchup chart, and then I remembered I still know what every Pokemon type is weak against, so I think I'll manage. :P

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Now up on Steam store for wish list and updates

planned release date Febuary 2020

other games i have kickstarted have said backers should still wishlist on steam store for traffic and trending even if we will get a key from them

also people who did not kickstart can wish list

edit might have been up on steam for a while? just got an update about Christopher playing it

I also know at least one of you has been playtesting spirit island for months now, steam might have problems with secrets from you friends if i was not supposed to know

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm even more excited about this after looking at the preview vid.

As much as I love turn-based tactics, I admit it sometimes has a tendency to turn into this durdly thing where you have to spend oodles of time sneaking along with crouching and overwatch at every turn, then turtling around cover to spam the same moves or routines of moves a lot.

So all this stuff of being mobile giving you rewards like better initiative, or positioning-based bonuses, and the rock-paper-scissors system forcing you to switch up your attacks, makes it likely this will instead make more fast-paced, varied combat the optimal play.

Also remixed Megalopolis music and voice acting for the win too. :D

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Agreed, this looks like a good contribution to the genre. I just completed another XCOM-2 playthrough after finally getting the expansion, and while I love the stakes and emergent story of doing an Ironman campaign, it does encourage you to be very conservative with your troops. (I mean, I don't mind, I get too attached to them anyway.) But then I went and played some of the Legacy Ops, where you get rewards for taking down enemies quickly and you haven't been spending a whole campaign relying on a particular trooper, and it was an entirely different experience. Play is much more aggressive and fast-moving. I think the latter style would work a lot better when your characters are, y'know, SUPERHEROES. The mobility mechanics, combining moving with attacking, and allowing moves after attacks looks like it'll work will for Tachyon, too.

The one thing I'm on the fence about is the sheer amount of data the game mechanics seem to rely on. I've come to be more of a fan of the simple-rules-but-complex-interactions games. It looks like the UI presents all the data well, and it's not like I've had a problem picking up complex mechanics in the past - it just seems like there's a lot in each UI pop-up. I hope the system brings out the fun of playing superheroes just the way that the card game does!

Also, yes, Jean-Marc did an excellent job pumping up the Megalopolis theme there.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

As good as the game audio is, I wish they'd turned it down.  It's really hard to hear the rundown.  Also, it's really weird to hear voice acting for the F5!  Tachyon sounds awfully young....

Some of the movement mechanics have some really weird consequences.  Wraith usually runs right out in front and doesn't have an incentive to stay hidden or behind cover.  And if a speedy enemy runs right up to Bunker, he might find it wiser to ignore that enemy, because he'll have a poor chance of hitting, and go after someone further away.

Also it's kind of silly that big burst attacks (like Fright Train's artillery) don't necessarily have friendly fire.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh yeah, the music was so cool! :D But I agree I'd have liked to be able to hear the other stuff as well.