The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Looking for ideas

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
of the twilight...
of the twilight the darkness's picture
Playtester
Looking for ideas

Hey, I'm looking for a name for a character who fights with a cursed sword that slowly steals his life force to power itself up. Any ideas?

Amazing what you'll find just laying around! Laying around? Does anyone proofread these?
-Guise, the best book #5

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, is there a particular reason he uses the sword? I mean, is he cursed into having to use it, or does he wield it voluntarily because he likes the power it gives him even though it could slowly kill him (and then presumably need to find a new host)? A sword that drains the life of its wielder seems a little self-defeating, though I suppose if it's not a sentient artifact then that was just a trick put into it by someone who thought it'd be entertaining to have someone die by their own weapon :D.

Anyway, depending on why he uses this particular weapon, it could go toward determining his name.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

of the twilight...
Playtester

he is using the weapon because it fused to him when he touched it and he can't let go of it and it wants to be used. not that it is truly sentient, its power just wants to be used. Also, he can slowly recuperate after using his sword if he doesn't use it for a while. Its just if he were to use it a lot for a long time that he would die.

Amazing what you'll find just laying around! Laying around? Does anyone proofread these?
-Guise, the best book #5

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So he has to do everything (except swording people ;)) one-handed? Must be a pain in the arse trying to do...well, most things, I suppose ;). Maybe he could chop his hand off and find someone with healing powers to regrow him a new one or something? Or get someone to uncurse the sword or find some way of breaking it? Anyway, sorry, you were asking about a name...hmm. I dunno, maybe something like "Lifetime", which covers the whole "life is being drained over time" thing. Or erm...Baneblade, erm...hmm, running short on ideas for the moment. Been a bit of a busy day - I'll see if I can have another go tomorrow :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

of the twilight...
Playtester

I really like baneblade and think I will use that. Thanks a ton.

-Guise, the best book #5

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

No worries. I feel like it's a name I've seen/heard somewhere else, maybe in another game. Not sure, though.

I am the Wordweaver...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I'm catching up on the forum and if you're still thinking, what about "Siphon?"

of the twilight...
Playtester

That's good as well

-Guise, the best book #5

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ugh, more spam :P. Remind me the best way to report this again? Do we PM someone in particular on here or is it easier to post on the Discord somewhere, maybe?

I am the Wordweaver...

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What spam?  :)

Best way is to PM the mods.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay. Wasn't sure if there was any particular person...and if there is a way to mass-PM every mod on the forum that might feel a bit excessive...

I am the Wordweaver...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nah, we're used to it! That's the job. ;-) (Thank you for being considerate, though! :-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

This thread seems a popular one for new people to make a single post...

I am the Wordweaver...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah... :-\ Probably a vague-enough topic they feel like they can post something that might get away with it. Which they did. :-( 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, it seems like they don't get enough time to come back and change their signature into a dodgy-looking link or whatever (at least, the posts are always gone by the time I check the next day), so I suppose we're keeping on top of it :).

I am the Wordweaver...