The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 196 Nature’s Compulsion

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 196 Nature’s Compulsion

Advanced Akash’Bhuta vs Naturalist, Argent Adept and Akash’Thriya in the Temple of Zhu Long.

Reminder, Akash’Thriya can effectively control the flip by shuffling the environment deck with Cultivation.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, it took a little while to really get a handle on having a finger on Akash'Bhuta's flip button. I felt like, if Thriya had come before the Naturalist in order, it might have been a little more, uh, natural to pick up.

But that's fine, I got a Mint despite having one bad turn with Akash'Thriya in the middle game where all her seeds ended up in her own trash. Make sure she draws lots of cards whenever she can, and use Argent Adept to accelerate her setup. Remember, it's not the seeds that are the most important thing to get out, it's her Ongoings.

mb

im sorry and I dont want it to seem too harsh, but one shots like this remind me why i dont play this game much anymore. These setups are the opposite of my definition of fun.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Got wrecked my first game, and badly. Bhuta was still at full hp due to Allies of the Earth and had every single Limb in play for the vast majority of the game. It seemed like round 2 had 4-5 limbs in play already, and with Naturalist the only one really able to do damage, I just couldn't keep up. I think the environment killed more limbs with Ninjas than the heroes did...

I will try again later but I don't know how to do enough damage to control that many limbs that quickly, which then leads to nothing by her one shots in her deck and lots of ongoing/equipment destruction.

~Komori

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Mint after a LONG game.

Hint: If Ensnaring Brambles shuts down Flora's damage, everyone gets a free power use each round.

seesome
seesome's picture

LONG game indeed.  Had to leave it still in progress at home, but I suspect that I'll mint it as I've pretty much got things in lock down now.

An interesting thing that came up for me was when all three ninjas were killed at once and I put them into the Naturalists deck, then used his power to search the deck for a form.  Searching does not count as revealing, so the ninjas ended up getting shuffled into his deck and didn't show up again for a good long while, by which point they were pretty much ignorable.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

The PayneTrayne
Playtester

Only reason I minted was having Naturalist redirect all the damage to him. Used card draw to keep pulling his redirects, and Akash to plink away with limbs. Still took at least an hour though.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

This one was quite a slog, but I was never in much danger.  Ended with Naturalist tanking everything with 3-4 DR and he and Akash had their whole decks in hand.

Surgeon Cirujano

I went with a long term plan.  I dealt maybe 10 damage to Bhuta with the heros instead I had Thriya play the entire environment and made sure that Bhuta started on her front side before envirmonment turn then let master of the temple deal all the damage while my heros hide behind Environmental Allies with Naturalist stayed in Gazelle form for most of the game.  If you have Gazelle Natural Form's Power focus on Thriya eventually you draw out her deck and then play As the Earth Turns every turn.

gossamerica2

Dandolo wrote:
Hint: If Ensnaring Brambles shuts down Flora's damage, everyone gets a free power use each round.

Also when Indomitable Force is in play.

Those ninjas are a pain! You want A’B on the correct side when they enter play and when they die, or she gets more plays.

I got to the point where Naturalist could keep playing Indomitable Force. Then A’T used Thrashing Brambles to eliminate limbs. Then Naturalist went into croc mode and chowed down on A’B. A long slog for a mint.

gossamerica2

Surgeon Cirujano wrote:
I went with a long term plan.  I dealt maybe 10 damage to Bhuta with the heros instead I had Thriya play the entire environment and made sure that Bhuta started on her front side before envirmonment turn then let master of the temple deal all the damage while my heros hide behind Environmental Allies with Naturalist stayed in Gazelle form for most of the game.  If you have Gazelle Natural Form's Power focus on Thriya eventually you draw out her deck and then play As the Earth Turns every turn.

After just a couple of turns, with Argent Adept’s Vernal Sonata and help drawing cards, I was able to get Earth Turns every round. A’B never got to her “play three limbs” card. Piece of cake.

-metablender

A long game for sure, but one without too many issues if you plan ahead. I used the strategy of having The Naturalist tank early as the Rhino, before having him in Gazelle form for most of the game with Nature's Allies, changing to Crocodile at times to trigger big attacks. The Argent Adept got The Naturalist and Akash'Thriya set up quickly. Getting Thria's Ongoings out first is important, as by the midpoint of the game I could easily load most of her seeds into the Environment trash or deck and keep her other cards cycled quickly in a thinned deck.

Akash'Bhuta played both copies of Rejuvinating Entropy early, at least for me, and thankfully only The Argent Adept has Equipment that could be destroyed but easily retrieved if it is. By the time you can get Akash'Flora out, whether with high HP or a card such as Ensaring Brambles keeping it from damaging itself, you can create some nutty plays at the start of Akash'Thriya's turn with all the heroes (especially with The Argent Adept involved) getting multiple power plays.

To help accerating things I kept the True Form around, and would routinely let The Argent Adept load on Synccopated Onslaught onto the True Form and Akash'Bhuta, to load up on the damage her direction when Primeval Limbs are destroyed. With the Akash'Flora trick, I would have The Naturalist drop into Crocodile on his turn, have The Argent Adept give him plays for attacks or The Predator's Eye for increased damage towards Akash'Bhuta, and then have The Naturalist return to Gazelle on Thriya's turn to protect the team as the True Form pounded on Bhuta.

This game cinched for me how useful it is for Akash'Thriya and her own seeds to destroy each other, especially with Thrashing Brambles out. By endgame you can gain their useful effects as they are destroyed, as Noxious Pod, Strangling Roots, and Vitalized Thorns can pinball off of each other (and Creeping Mold when played from the Environment) to take out swaths of Seeds and in turn help impact the limbs that do make it out. Mysteries Ceremonies from the Environment can also be a scummy way to set up out of turn plays, although it can discard Seeds from the Environment rather than letting them be played. Annoying, but they stay where they need to be for Akash'Thriya to fold them back into the deck.