The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #191: First Impressions

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
gossamerica2
Weekly One-Shot #191: First Impressions

It’s a core-game slugfest!  Tempest, Visionary, and Absolute Zero take on Baron Blade in Megalopolis in a random start.  Piece of cake.  I just want to know how this was “inadvertently designed”...

FearLord

Embarrassing Near Mint... First one just had a really bad draw and the game got away from me. Second one I ended up with 2 twist the ethers in hand straight away which meant I could pile on the damage super quickly.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Quote:

I just want to know how this was “inadvertently designed”

This was designed based off a Reddit and Realm of Discord post about how poorly this setup went for a newer player introducing the game to others.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That was simple and fun. :) Finished him off with an 8-point Thermal Shockwave that would have been higher if not for Shielding Winds. XD

The PayneTrayne
Playtester

Uh-oh. What happened during the intro game? This one was fairly easy; Visionary had a Twist the Ether to start, so Absolute Zero became a monster once he got Thermal Shockwave and his modules out. I was getting 8, 10 point heals by converting the fire damage to cold (double-dipping Thermal Shockwave was a treat too).

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint with low HP because I went ham.

Visionary got Rooftop Combat out first turn to keep the environment from being an issue until I burned through the MDP. She drew a Twist the Ether soon after and put it on AZ for Fire/Cold Shenanigans. Didn't take long to flip BB, and from there I could have started stalling and had much higher HP, but why?

Ate a Devious Destruction for 7 to keep AZ modules and TtE out, and just kept wailing on him with bouncing Fire/Cold damage off AZ for dayz.

Fun little one-shot, and I feel sorry for the intro game that went bad.

~Komori

Blackfang108
Playtester

I ended up eating a DD for about 9 after Shielding Winds, just because it wasn't going to kill me, and I realized Blade wasn't getting another turn.

Yoshi348

Mint 0/2/0. Yeah, things didn't go very well. Two Devious Disruptions and just a lot of damage going around. Ended with Visionary tucking herself in a Cocoon (Baron was already flipped and about half health) while a Monorail fell on everything and like 30 civilians died every turn, but AZ incap just kept charging the laser until I could break out with a fatal damage card boosted to +6, with another AZ incap to finish him off.

gossamerica2

I’ve played this a few times, and did something I’d never thought of before: Twist the Ether on the monorail.  Look, Baron Blade just got hit by the infernal train again, while the refrigerator car healed AZ.  Worked fine until Blade’s HP got too low, and the train hit itself...

Baron Blade is usually a punching bag, but as a friend of mine likes to say, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.  In this case, a sub-optimal team in an obnoxious environment might do it...

gossamerica2

Yeah, first-turn traffic jam with bad starting hands means it could take 10 turns just to get another card (more if powers can't be used for a turn or two...). There are many reasons I dislike Megalopolis...

I remember this interview with the designer of Guillotine (http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/2015/07/one-thing-to-avoid-in-game-d...). He said that the most important lesson in game design is "don't stop players from playing the game." In SOTM, players get to do three things on their turn: play, power, draw. Megalopolis can stop all of them. Just imagine this setup with Citizen Dawn instead, and starting with a bunch of things that make you discard. Turn 1 traffic jam, lose all your cards, then have paparazzi come out...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I had a game against Dawn where she started with Blood, Sweat, and Tears, so everyone had to discard two cards right away. Then the first card she played was Blinding Blast, making us discard the rest of our hands.

I just started that game over, tbh.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We won a game with that opening on an early Sentinels Live.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

bolnerap

Episode 16, for the curious. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SybwNOo8nCQ&list=PLGPBmjNUB43g4ViRVaNDYCMn...

Also, we ended up with a one-shot with that start as well (Desperate Measures)... definitely one that required a second play for me.