The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 187 Far From Home

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 187 Far From Home

Challenge Dreamer (so no AoE ever) vs Setback, Heroic Luminary, Scholar and The Idealist in scenic Mordengraad. 

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I do like how challenge Dreamer forces you to re-prioritize your plays and discards. Get Out of the Way, for instance, becomes instant discard fodder, you'll never want to play it.

That said, the fight for me came down to just the Scholar (no surprise), and then I forgot that being at low health means I should really have Flesh to Iron out, so he didn't last forever like he probably could have. :( A decent set of support incaps, at least.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Mint. But with just Scholar standing for most of the game do to some very careless moves early. It worked out in the end but in hindsight I took some really stupid and unnecessary risks.

Blackfang108
Playtester

I completely forgot it was challenge dreamer and played Get out of the way.

No mint for me.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I ended with Scholar behind 2 flesh to irons and relying on the three draws to keep him supplied with discard fodder while he chipped away at the last few manifestations I needed. Before that , Luminary was one shotting manifestations like nobody’s business thanks to leavng the tanks alone. .and then the double Night Terrors happened and everyone who wasn’t stuck behind a wall of metal died.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint, but yeeowch. 0/0/12/0

I think that is the longest game of the Dreamer I have ever actually won. I thought things were going to go bad (well, even worse than they already were) when Idealist dropped on the third round due to Monster of Id I couldn't find any other Concepts to feed to it. Surprisingly, Setback, Luminary, and Scholar all proceeded to live (barely) for quite a long time, slowly plinking away at manifestations. Lots of random card discarding from environment or Setback meant that I never actually saw a Night Terrors that would have ended things faster. Luminary hid behind her bots, Scholar Ironed, Setback just did Setback things to stay alive, and Idealist fed Scholar cards to keep his forms in play.

Eventually, Dreamer had to shuffle her deck while still on her front side(!!!), but eventually we got all the manifestations. She flipped, and things were going alright again but Mordengrade was getting out of control. I was getting worried until Luminary drew the Terraluna Translocator with ~30 cards in her trash and 5 Manifestations in play. Bip Bop Boop, dropping the moon on the manifestations took us to 7 of 8 under Dreamer (I was VERY careful to not target the ones already under her) and cleared Mordengrade. From there, both Setback and Luminary went down to some combination of plays I don't remember, but Scholar was fine behind Iron and had enough damage to destroy Mr. Bones for the win.

Weird notes: No AoE as has been pointed out, due to challenge. ALSO, no Backlash Generators for the same reason. Setback barely survived the flip due to putting out extra ongoings to keep Silver Lining in play. The Toymaster is actually useless in this match as no one uses Equipment. The Tanks actually helped during the Plan: Drop the Moon on Them!(TM) as they played an additional manifestation that I could destroy.

Was overall fun because I minted, but whoo boy I don't know that I want to try again on the PC

~Komori

FearLord

Mint. A really tough one though - only Scholar and Luminary up at the end. Dropping the moon at the right time is key - that lets you get a good chunk of the manefestations you need on her flip side. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Easy Mint at 0/0/22/0.  I lucked out and managed to get two early alchemical redirections from KEEP MOVING's shuffle, which let Idealist survive until the dreamer flip. It helps that the nanites tanked the oni attacks though.  Didn't see the translocator until Luminary's bitter end, but by then I had such a good draw engine on The Scholar that it wasn't too bad, just slowed me down a little.  Only a little though because Grace Under Fire is so good here.

I'll put things in here later.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

TakeWalker wrote:
I do like how challenge Dreamer forces you to re-prioritize your plays and discards. Get Out of the Way, for instance, becomes instant discard fodder, you'll never want to play it.

Yeah, that would be a bad thing to keep in your hand and then absent-mindedly play because you briefly forgot that the game was set in Challenge Mode, only to realize a moment too late to rewind.

*whistles innocently*

M1rth

Grr. She killed herself on a reflection drone and for some reason the game didn't allow me to redirect the damage to a hero.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You can only redirect damage going to the Dreamer coming from an environment card.  If Backlash Generator, a hero card, is the source of the damage you don’t get a choice to redirect that damage.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

I was just coming in with that warning.

My Luminary auto-played a backlash generator at a point where I couldn't destroy it, and then the Dreamer hit everyone for damage and the backlash generator blew her up and I lost my second run-through. This one is vicious. 

bolnerap

Nope. Can't figure this one out. First try, got nuked off the field as soon as the Dreamer flipped by a double Violent Nightmares into Night Terrors. Second try, Scholar had 2x FTI out and was doing a great job until he got hit with Projected Paralysis FOUR TURNS IN A ROW while the Dreamer slowly got her entire board out, then wiped me with Night Terrors. Super love Dreamer, great time being able to make meaningful decisions.

Edit: Dragged out the flip by one more turn and got one of the easiest shuffles I've ever seen on her flip side, winning easily with HP 4 / 11 / 27 / 0, and was very close to having everyone survive. Happy this is in the rear view mirror, never touching it again.

gossamerica2

Managed a near mint after a long slog.  Everybody else went down pretty quickly, but Scholar eventually won with 28 HP.  Like bolnerap, I won't be playing this one again.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Finally beat it for a Fine. The strange thing is, I did two games back-to-back, and something went really different between them. There's so much discarding, it's hard to keep track of what changed, but all I know is I only lost Idealist.

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Near Mint, due to my careless use of Backlash generators in game 1 once Dreamer flipped.

Besides the backlash generators, both games turned out about the same. I put Scholar behind an iron wall (2xFlesh to Iron) early on and he soaked up most of the damage, as did the repair drones who are immune to melee damage. Idealist played Bored Now! on turn 1 to get rid of Monster of Id until her ego was in better shape. Damage was prioritized to Macabre Spirit, Dark Hero, Grotesque Arachnoid, Tooth Fairy and Treacherous Ape. The rest, I ignored since they couldn't cause any damage, but picked them off if I had extra damage to spare. Scholar spent the game drawing cards and healing when he could. Except for the annoying Blade Battalion Platoon, the environment was never a problem and was usually quite helpful.

Eventually, with everyone decently set up, the last manifestation went down and Scholar plunked down Alchemical Redirection for the next two turns. It took three turns to get enough manifestations under Dreamer, but everyone still was at 10 or higher, with Luminary at about 18 and Scholar at full.

gossamerica2

gossamerica2 wrote:
Managed a near mint after a long slog.  Everybody else went down pretty quickly, but Scholar eventually won with 28 HP.  Like bolnerap, I won't be playing this one again.

Okay, I lied. I wondered how in the world people managed to keep everybody alive, so I had to try again. I lost again on my next attempt (got her to flip, but then got overwhelmed), but then won the next try; 4/16/18/3. (Scholar would have had more HP, but I dropped his Flesh to Iron when I knew I was going to win.) Still wasn't fun.

kamesenin888

a little late but here is my solution, idealist dies no matter what i do but this one got me a mint

1-Dreamer

Dark Hero
Granite Oni
WHipacorn
Ilusory Demon

Idealist plays ID

Plays Violent Nightmares
and 2 Macabre Specters

HIt Idealist
Unicorn hits Setback doesnt do damage
and Scholar takes 5
specters hits everyone for 6

Life
Setback 22
Luminary 22
Scholar 18
Idealist 15

1-Setback

Play Fortune
Power discard all the top and add 4

1-Luminary
Plays Price of victory 
Skip power

1-Scholar
Play keep moving for the iron and play grace under fire on dark hero
Normal power

1-Idealist

Play sound beating hit specte killing it
Power and skip putting under concept
get hit

2-Environment 
Play assembly line

2-Dreamer
Plays oni hitting idealist for a lot
Whipacorn hits setback

Life
Setback 19
Luminary 17
Scholar 20
Idealist 7

2-Setback
play whoops sorry destroy ID
and environment add 3 tokens
Normal power add 4 tokens

2-Luminary
Play doomsday
power on specter

2-Scholar
Discard liquid
Play keep moving for iron and truth seeker 
Truth seeker power on specter

2-Idealist

PLay bright idea for karate robot
Normal Power and put bright idea on karate

3-Environment

PLays commander does nothing to scholar

3-Dreamer

Plays nightmares
Toy master and arachnoid

Whipacorn hit scholar
demon hits scholar

arachnoid hits setback and luminary

Life
Setback 17
Luminary 15
Scholar 20
Idealist 7

3-Setback

Play karmic retribution on one oni killing it
NOrmal power play cause and effect ouch destroy commmander
and hit oni killing it

3-LUminary 

play inventor
power on demon 
heal luminary

3-Scholar

Discard everything but liquid
Play liquid
seeker power on demon killing it
destroy liquid 

3-Idealist

Play focusing tiara
Karate robot power on arachnoid killing it
then with tiara put id on karate

4- Environment

PLay Mobile alert Platform

4-Dreamer

Play tooth Fairy

Everyone discards

Setback - Friendly Fire
Luminary - all according to plan
Scholar - Get out of my way
Idealist - Bored Now

Life
Setback 10
Luminary 16
Scholar 20
Idealist 7

4-Setback

Play PLucky on whip
fortune powr on scholar

4-Luminary
Play turret, 
turret power on whip toy and fairy
Heal luminary

4-Scholar

Discard liquid and energy

Play recovery
Seeker power on fairy

4-Idealist

Draw card
PLay ego
Karate robot power on whip
Put id in karate
Use a power and put spark on karate and bored now on karate

5-Environment

Plays Platoon
HIts everyone ouch

5- Dreamer
Plays Dark Hero

Life
Setback 9
Luminary 14
Scholar 22
Idealist 4

5-Setback

Play Lining
fortune power on scholar

5-Luminary

Plays vision, destroy backlash search for all according to plan

turret power on dark hero, toy and platoon
heal devices

5-Scholar

Discard get out and keep moving
PLay dont dismiss anything

Setback -Play Top
Luminary - Play top put laser on hand play nanites
Scholar - Play top
Idealist -beating to top 

5-Idealist

Tiara draws+
PLay conceptualize for giant floaty head put it under head
Head Power on platoon move to karate
Ego move from karate to head anything but id
Use robot power and put id robot

6-Environment

Plays tank hits scholar

6-Dreamer

PLay night terrors

Life
Setback 9
Luminary 14
Scholar 22
Idealist 2

6-Setback

PLay Karmic
normal power for cash out
remove 0 tokens

Scholar discard energy
Luminary Discard backlash
Idealist discard thoughts

6-LUminary

Play death laser 
turret power killing toy and hitting environment damage
heal luminary twice

6-Scholar

Discard grace under and keep moving

play dont dismiss anything

Setback puts cash out on top
Luminary puts the price of victory on top
Scholar plays hit tank
Idealist puts conceptualize on top

Seeker Power on tank

6-Idealist

Play conceptualize seach for knives put in knives
Float head power,  and destroy tank resolving tank first and hit spectre spectre and put conceptualize on karate

Karate power to specter killing and put conceptualize on karate

idealist's last turn, she dies

7-Environment

Plays tank

7-Dreamer

Flips, destroy all idealist cards
Luminary cannot play cards
and specter and dark hero enters, hit everyone

7-Setback
Plays friendly fire
Normal power
Cash out heal everyone

Setback turn of events
Luminary disruption 
Scholar know when to turn 

7-Luminary

Normal Power killing dark hero

heal devices to full and heal platform once

7-Scholar

Discard expect the worse and truth seeker
play recovery
truth on specter

7-idealist dead
setback draws

8-Environment 

plays platoon

8-Dreamer

Plays toy
arachnoid enters and whip enters and tooth fairy
spectre hits platoon and then platform triggering all acording to plan hitting spectre before it regens

fairy
setback discards high risk behavior
luminary discards turret
scholar know when to hold back

8-Setback

Plays looking up

fortune power on scholar

8-Luminary

Consider the price of defeat

turret power on arachnoid, fariy and toy

heal luminary both times

8-Scholar