The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sad thematic win

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Praion
Sad thematic win

Hey people,

we are stil new to SI and trying to get a good grasp on the strategy and different spirits. 
However I wanted to share a win we had with Lightining and me as Vital Strength. 

It was definetly our best game so far and we were super safe for a long time but had trouble cleaning out the invaders. Especially I felt unlucky with the 2 major powers I had drawn so far. They were all aimed at stalling/defending or boosting other spirits. Then, in the final round I drew another set of major powers and got Poisoned Land. 

Finally something with actuall oomph behind it (I totally slept on how you can boost the ritual of destruction and at that point the Dahan weren't set up optimally to get us there). So with Vital Strenght of the Earth tainted itself and started using its vital powers not to heal and protect but to destroy its own land in order to get rid of the invaders. I thought that was pretty thematic and tragic.

A second question: After playing on lowest difficulty (normal map, no blight card, no adversaries) - what should the next things be we try with increased difficulty to get a smooth experience?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I'd suggest going for a blight card, or using Brandenburg-Prussia as an adversary. They don't really do much to concentrate on, just speed up the process. You could probably do both without having too much trouble. Or use more complex spirits.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That does sound thematically impressive -- glad you got to play that out! 

We went to the higher complexity spirits and played with those until we were comfortable. Adversaries were next. 

If you're going to try a core set blight card, I'd recommend just doing that, first. (No offense, pwatson. ;-) When that card flips, it will really change the game and difficulty increases signficantly! (The core set blight cards are, in my opinion, the hardest of the blight cards. :-( ) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

None taken. I can stand people having incorrect opinions. :-) And i’ve been playing with Branch and Claw included for so long I’ve forgotten which Blight cards come from which box.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, the core game Blight cards are just awful.  I also recommend trying out the more complex spirits first, so you can learn to appreciate them and pick your favorites.

As for Blight card vs. Adversaries... Adversaries are probably more fun, as you get to experience different strategies, and actually make use of the Stage II escalation effects.  Blight cards are mandatory with later expansion content, but the Blight cards than come with them are substantially easier to deal with.

On the other hand, it's good to practice with Blight cards sooner rather than later, because you can easily get spoiled with having such a large Blight pool.  You may want to split your Blight pool in two: one with 2/player, one with 3/player, and try to avoid emptying the first pool as long as possible.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!