The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Rule clarifications about discarding

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
sheen
Rule clarifications about discarding

I've got some questions that I haven't been able to conclusively answer from the rulebooks.

1) When a card in play is discarded in the middle of a turn (Outpaced), do you immediately lose the elements it provides?

2) Can Gift of Constancy be used to reclaim a card that was discarded because of an event card?

3) In Ward the Shores, when you play a card face down, does it consume a power card from your hand. I.E. is the card you choose to play face down unavailable to you for the turn and goes to your discard pile at the end of the turn?

Thanks in advance.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

1) You immediately lose the elements.  From rulebook p16: "You gain Elements the moment you pay for a Power Card, regardless of whether the Power is Fast or Slow, and they go away as soon as it leaves play (usually during Time Passes)."

2) Gift of Constancy specifies at end of turn, so cards that were discarded previously can't be reclaimed.

3) It's still considered playing a card, so probably?  I can't think of another interpretation that makes sense.  If it didn't consume the card and send it to the discard, I don't think it would say to play a card face down.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

"3) In Ward the Shores, when you play a card face down, does it consume a power card from your hand. I.E. is the card you choose to play face down unavailable to you for the turn and goes to your discard pile at the end of the turn?"

Yep.

sheen

Thanks for the quick response.

Every time I've played Ward the Shores against a high level adversary (which was incorrectly not discarding the face down card), I never find the bandwidth to put wards down and just end up going for the regular win. If I were to play correctly, going for the ward victory seems nearly unviable.

rampsnakes

sheen wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

Every time I've played Ward the Shores against a high level adversary (which was incorrectly not discarding the face down card), I never find the bandwidth to put wards down and just end up going for the regular win. If I were to play correctly, going for the ward victory seems nearly unviable.

Also note that the scenario specifies that the normal fear victory is not available, so I believe the only way to win is by getting all the warding patterns out.

sheen

I think fear victory just refers to depleting the fear deck. Some clarification on this would be appreciated.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

sheen wrote:

I think fear victory just refers to depleting the fear deck. Some clarification on this would be appreciated.

Sorry, I missed this confusion.

Fear victory refers to any victory by the normal victory conditions. You cannot win this scenario without placing warding patterns.

I added a FAQ.