The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Invader board/Event Board -> Playmat?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
joneirik
Invader board/Event Board -> Playmat?

tldr: the topic.

One thing that has annoyed me to no end in the core box, is that the invader board is about 1x2cm too large to fit inside the box without having to fold it, and been wondering why it wasn't made slightly smaller ? But when I opened Branch and Claw and got another foldable board (events), I thought it was a lot of wasted table space and box space compared to what it could have been ?

After trying to re-pack and organize the entire game + expansion in various boxes last couple of days, I thought it would be much more practical to have the "Invader board" + "Event board" printed on a playmat (basically a large mouse pad for those not familiar with them from card games like MtG or Codex etc). So I could just roll it up and stuff it into a side pocket or something.

Is this something you (Eric/GtG) would be interested in doing and put up on the store? Or is this something I could do myself? (scan the boards, and order a custom printed playmat online), Alternatively, something to throw in on the Jagged Earth Kickstarter ? (Backed the full thing btw)

Outside of that, thanks for great game, we've been playing it a lot locally, and is currently the favorite game of a few of us. Been spending last two days buying more sleeves (for branch and claw), deck boxes to fit all the cards, and a new toolbox/briefcase to fit everything inside. Since the original box and the plastic inserts became completely useless with sleeves and expansion added. Since I tend to carry it around so often.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I have no idea about making playmats, but I know they tried various things to avoid a quad-fold board. The size of the Fear cards is one big factor.

joneirik

Understand that, and the invader board (and the event board) are really cool looking and thematic etc, but if they had put the fear cards from left to right, instead from top to bottom, and re-arranged the board around that, as well as shrinking hte "fear" area, they could have saved in a good bit of space tbh. It wouldn't look so thematic though.

Might just draw up my own simple one on the PC and print it out, and test playing with it.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The idea of a playmat invader board has been brought up in the past. I think the decision might have just been to focus on the tweaks that needed to happen to the Thematic Island one for this go-around. (Jagged Earth had enough going on already!)

I think that the at least one more expansion Eric has said he'd like to do is probably a safe bet, and I'll try to remember to bring it up when that starts getting serious discussion. That'll be a while, though.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I would definitely like at some point to make a grand unified invader board. The trouble with playmats is that they are hard to store and transport along with the game itself. It is something we have been and will continue to be pondering internally.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

joneirik

I'm probably going to end up making my own version, just to save space (non graphical one).

But since I'm tempted to try: Would I be allowed to bring the 2 boards to a company and have them scan them for me, and use that scan to order a custom made "playmat" with it ? Or does that hit all the copyrights and stuff?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

That definitely runs into all sorts of weird copyright issues.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

joneirik

Gotcha, then I'll just make my own non-gaphical one. Thanks for answers!