The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question on Powers Long Forgotten

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ras906
ras906's picture
Question on Powers Long Forgotten

When playing Thunderspeaker, when using the innate ability that lets you gather/push, if you gather 3 dahan into a space with a scenario token and then push a dahan out of that space, do you get to uncover that token? (There was technically 3 dahan in that spot half way through the power.) I guess this question could also apply to the plague spirit too since it has a card that lets you push dahan half way through the card.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

Win, loss, and other conditions are only checked between actions (e.g. powers) so it would not trigger the treasure digging. 

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

TL;DR: Yes, in this Scenario, you can search a land partway through a Power.

Longform: As the Scenario is written - "whenever a land has 3 more more Dahan..." - you may search a land even in the middle of a Power. This is an accident of wording; the nomenclature(*) which clearly differentiates between the two meanings wasn't standardized until the upcoming Jagged Earth expansion, so a variety of core-game / Branch & Claw materials don't use it consistently. But here, it matches the original design intent(**), so in this case it's a fortunate accident rather than an "ah, crud" one(***).

* = Starting with Jagged Earth, instructions that read "When X, do Y" can happen even during other actions, while "After X, do Y" holds off until after an action is finished.

** = Turns are several years, so the Dahan are able to search the land while traveling through.

*** = Dahan Insurrection is one of the 'ah, crud' cases: it uses "When", and then explicitly spells out in reminder text that what it means is "After".

ras906
ras906's picture

Thanks, Eric! Also, I am guessing it is too late for the upcoming jagged earth but in the future, how does one become an official playtester? What qualifications are necessary?

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

Time for me to go revise my understanding.  Sorry for the false answer.  I think the rest of it is still correct though?  (i.e. everything except the "when" terminology is only checked between actions)

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

ras906 wrote:

Thanks, Eric! Also, I am guessing it is too late for the upcoming jagged earth but in the future, how does one become an official playtester? What qualifications are necessary?

I became a playtester by PMing Braithwhite (the playtest manager).  AFAIK there are no necessary qualifications other than a love of Spirit Island and agreement not to leak unpublished material.

ras906
ras906's picture

Thanks, I will PM him/her!

emilemoni
emilemoni's picture
Playtester

Thanks for the info, Lorkenpeist! I play Spirit Island way too much and it'd be nice to give feedback and thoughts on the new spirits and mechanics.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

As you suspect, it's a bit late for Jagged Earth, but moving forward you can request to get in on Spirit Island playtesting by:

• Asking >G about becoming a playtester - see PMing mention above. (This can also involve non-Spirit-Island projects they do, which may or may not involve me.) 
  • Asking me about becoming a playtester - I'm ereuss at that mail service run by Google. (This can also involve non-Spirit-Island projects I do, which may or may not involve >G.)
  • Both.

I can't speak for >G, but on my end, the only necessary qualifications are:

1. A willingness to communicate with me + other playtesters (if I don't hear the results of your playtesting, it might as well not have happened)
  2. To be civil in that communication (nobody likes a flame war)
  3. To be understanding when my bandwidth is limited (I have two kids, and I sometimes have to choose between "talk about what I'm doing / why" and "actually do it")
  4. To keep playtesting materials confidential per publisher/designer wishes.

Edit: For me, I also like to know a little something - nearly anything! - about you just so I can remember who people are. Eg: "I'm a hairdresser from northern Ohio! I got into boardgames via my sister-in-law. I love heavier Euros, hate party games, and have 2 dogs who are the best buddies in the universe." What details are totally up to you; the more memorable/distinctive the better. :)

emilemoni
emilemoni's picture
Playtester

Thank you Eric!

I absolutely adore this game - the puzzle of it, the way you can make every spirit feel thematic to what their spirit's about. All 5 of the new spirits that have PnP sets are incredibly fun to play. Many Minds is this silly hivemind that runs around the board, Volcano is this lumbering giant that's raining molten death on invaders and Dahan alike, Pathfinder is this bizarre spirit that connects and isolates everything, and when you get to the higher level innates with Pathfinder the whole board looks like this intricate web of marker tokens to see what's isolated, where things have been moved to, it's so much fun. I didn't even mention Vengeance who's my favorite of the new set, or Trickster who's this wacky guy with a Strife power that can really tip the scales. I'm sad to have missed out on Jagged Earth playtesting, but I'm excited for the expansion's release :)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

added a FAQ. I didn't add a FAQ for Dahan Insurrection since, as Eric says, it's spelled out on the scenario card.