The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Print and Play - New Spirits (Jagged Earth/Kickstarter/GenCon)

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
robb8888
Print and Play - New Spirits (Jagged Earth/Kickstarter/GenCon)

I took a little time and made "cleaner" versions of all of the new as-yet-unprinted spirits from GenCon and the Jagged Earth Kickstarter, and started a thread here.  If you are using the ones from the post in the general Jagged Earth thread (https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/spirit-island-the-jagged-earth-wishlist-and-discussion-13200), these are more updated.  I tried to include artwork and flavor text when/where available.

Note:  I have no pride of ownership/creation in these; feel free to alter/change/edit/reprint them as you see fit, so long as you acknowledge that all these characters belong to GTG, and don't distribute them for any money/paid purpose.  I will respond politely (and thankfully) to anybody kindly pointing out a typo or an actual error in content, but other than that, you get what you pay for; anybody writing to insult/complain about the appearance or quality of the work, or asking me to change any aesthetic aspects will be entirely ignored.  :) 

Here are the links (Note: they are hosted on DocDroid, and therefore will expire in 60 days, so be sure to download them before Christmas!):

Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble/Vengeance as a Burning Plague - (adapted from AdamH) These have both been updated from the GenCon versions; Burning Plague to reflect the actual substantive character changes revealed in the Kickstarter Update #4 email (which did not include updates to cards, so the spirit that gets released may still play very differently than this one), and Grinning Trickster just to include some appropriate artwork.

Many Minds Meet as One (with credit to Skepsis) -- I took Skepsis' original submissions and added some artwork, the setup instructions, and a little clean-up here and there for legibility purposes.

Finder of Paths Unseen -- updated from the version I posted earlier, with added artwork on the board and cards. 

Enjoy! 

Microsillon

heya! thanks for this. Just a comment.. Many Minds Meet as One.. shouldn't it be Many Minds Move as One?

I printed it (and the cards) and just tried it out in a 2 player game. The other spirits in the game was Sharp Fangs. We wanted to see if the two would work well together with the beasts, but it didn't work as good as we were hoping. Note that we were playing vs France level 2... and since Many Minds is not a big damage inflicter (in fact, it doesn't inflict much damage at all), we failed because the 7 villages were on the board.

I really found the spirit interesting. Definitely high complexity IMO mostly because of all the beast movement you have to do (including your presence sometimes). A lot of planning is needed, especially when you're moving beasts with 1 innate, defending with another, and using some of your base cards to move beasts, move dahan and skip invader actions.

Although we lost in what.. the 4th or 5th turn? we already were almost at Terror level 3.. so a lot of fear was generated. I know now that i probably should have used the ''skip invader action'' card more early on, but i wanted to have a truckload of beasts on the board to help out Fangs deal out damage. Because of early blight, Fangs became a bit restricted unfortunately. I loved that card where you basically double the number of beasts you have in a land, but i found that sometimes i couldn't move enough of them around to help me defend (it was still early in the game).

Definitely interesting.

Some clarifications i would see being asked about:

1. Since the holy site is considered a beast, would i be able to move it with fangs when he moves?
  2. Connect the hive mind says ''then each other spirit may push 1 of their presence on target board. Push to 1 adjacent i assume?

Again, thanks for doing this! :)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Push/gather is always 1 space. The sole exception so far appears to be Many Minds' ability to move Beasts, which is not presence.

Microsillon

ah yes, perfect thanks :)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

On 1, yes, that's correct: any time you want to move a Beasts, you can move one of Many Minds Sacred Sites instead. (All subject to the usual "still in playtesting" disclaimers, of course.)

robb8888

Microsillon wrote:

heya! thanks for this. Just a comment.. Many Minds Meet as One.. shouldn't it be Many Minds Move as One?

You're welcome -- I've gotten many questions, etc., answered through this board, and it seemed right to give a little back. Re: the name I think I typed it wrong in the Forum post, but it's correct on the card.   I've made little tweaks to most of them since the original post -- check the version you have against the one that's there, and see if it's right?

Microsillon wrote:

I printed it (and the cards) and just tried it out in a 2 player game. The other spirits in the game was Sharp Fangs. We wanted to see if the two would work well together with the beasts, but it didn't work as good as we were hoping. Note that we were playing vs France level 2... and since Many Minds is not a big damage inflicter (in fact, it doesn't inflict much damage at all), we failed because the 7 villages were on the board.

Really?  I had the opposite experience -- Many Minds and Sharp Fangs worked so well together that I'm hoping they don't de-power Many Minds in the final version.  For me, Sharp Fangs was able to complement Many Minds perfectly; Many Minds would defend and prevent builds/ravages, while Sharp Fangs provided the damage.  And I spammed the living heck out of the sacred site=beasts ability.  I almost always created sacred sites for Many Minds, then moved them around using Gather/Push.

Particularly in the early game, a lot of Sharp Fangs' really effective cards have a range of 0; they depend on him being in a land with Beasts.  With Many Minds' ability to gather move beasts over long distances, I found that really helped Sharp Fangs.  For example, Prey On The Builders is a great card -- stops a build -- but it's a 0 range; Sharp Fangs needs to be in the land with a beast (or with a beast next door).  With Many Minds, I could bring Sharp Fangs and a Beast all the way across the board (Gathering from 2 distant and mid-late game, Pushing to 2 distant), and have him in place.  Sharp Fangs could play Prey on the Builders to stop that build, then still be able to use Ranging Hunt to move to another land next door and take care of it.  Together, they are absolutely fantastic at clearing out explorers before they build.   

This was a typical turn for me:  Through some combination of Many Minds' growth/gathering ability, I'd bring some combination of 3-4 Beast tokens/Many Minds sacred sites at a land where Sharp Fangs was.  I'd use Ranging Hunt -- 3-4 damage in that land, and if necessary would burn a beast token to stop a ravage or build, if the damage wasn't enough.  At the end of the turn, I'd use Frenzied Assault to do 2-3 more damage, removing a beast token, sometimes replacing it with a beast-spawning power (like Teeth Gleam from Darkness).  Then I'd play Ever-Multiplying Swarm, adding 3 *more* beast tokens to the land, for a total of 4-6.  If necessary, at the beginning of the next turn I'd Ranging Hunt again, doing 4-6 more damage, then use Ranging Hunt + Teeming Host to move my big pack of beasts elsewhere, or leave them there for another Frenzied Assault at the end of the turn.  So over 2 turns, I could do 11-18 points of damage in one land, or spread that damage out over two adjacent lands, all just from low- to mid-level Innate Powers.  

Microsillon wrote:

Although we lost in what.. the 4th or 5th turn? we already were almost at Terror level 3.. so a lot of fear was generated. I know now that i probably should have used the ''skip invader action'' card more early on, but i wanted to have a truckload of beasts on the board to help out Fangs deal out damage. .

Don't forget, the "skip invader action" card  (Dreadful Tide of Scurrying Flesh) also does damage -- just 1, but that can help.  Also don't worry about getting rid of Beast tokens, because Many Minds creates so many beasts.  Remember, every sacred site you create is a beast whenever you want, which you (and Sharp Fangs) can move like any other beast.  So if you think about it, as long as Many Minds doesn't reclaim, it creates at least one beast every turn -- the second growth option creates at least one sacred site/beast (maybe two); the third growth option creates a beast token and possibly creates a sacred site/beast in addition to that.  Then you have Ever-Multiplying Swarm, which adds up to 3 *more* beasts, and which can use the sacred sites as well.  If you had (ex:) just two sacred sites and a beast token in a land and played Ever-Multiplying Swarm, you'd add 3 beast tokens.  Then there's Connect the Hive Mind, which lets you either get another presence out , or add yet another beast.  And all of this doesn't count (a) Sharp Fangs' Teeth Gleam in Darkness card, which creates beasts; (b) any other beast-creating minor powers; or (c) beast-creating events.  So use/abuse all the beast tokens you want; Many Minds can make more quickly.

Microsillon wrote:

Because of early blight, Fangs became a bit restricted unfortunately. I loved that card where you basically double the number of beasts you have in a land, but i found that sometimes i couldn't move enough of them around to help me defend (it was still early in the game).

To me Many Minds' third growth option is *super*-powerful -- it's maybe his best way to move beasts great distances.   Let's say he puts down a presence in a land where he already has one presence -- he's now created a beast.  He gets to add a beast token.  He can then pick a land 2 away from that, and gather into it his sacred site/beast, the beast token he just created, and *another* beast token (possibly with Sharp Fangs' presence attached to it) from 2 lands away.  So just in Growth phase, before you've played *any* power cards, you've brought 3 beasts and Sharp Fangs' presence potentially all the way across the board.  And unlike Sharp Fangs, Many Minds is not limited by blight, he can bring Sharp Fangs into blighted lands, where Sharp Fangs can still use Frenzied Assault to do damage.

robb8888

dpt wrote:

On 1, yes, that's correct: any time you want to move a Beasts, you can move one of Many Minds Sacred Sites instead. (All subject to the usual "still in playtesting" disclaimers, of course.)

Please, please, *PLEASE* don't change the "sacred site=beasts" ability!  Particularly in conjunction with Sharp Fangs, it makes Many Minds *SO* useful!  

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

robb8888 wrote:

Please, please, *PLEASE* don't change the "sacred site=beasts" ability!  Particularly in conjunction with Sharp Fangs, it makes Many Minds *SO* useful!  

I can't promise anything, but it's pretty likely to stay. The dynamics of Sacred Sites work really well with this rule; if MMMaO has 8 Presence down, that's up to +4 Beasts in play... but (critically) not in the same land, since a land can only have 1 Sacred Site. This gives MMMaO a certain baseline level of Beasts on the board while keeping actual Beasts tokens important, and encouraging the Spirit to be in many places (thematically relevant and good for gameplay).

robb8888

Eric R wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

I can't promise anything, but it's pretty likely to stay. The dynamics of Sacred Sites work really well with this rule; if MMMaO has 8 Presence down, that's up to +4 Beasts in play... but (critically) not in the same land, since a land can only have 1 Sacred Site. This gives MMMaO a certain baseline level of Beasts on the board while keeping actual Beasts tokens important, and encouraging the Spirit to be in many places (thematically relevant and good for gameplay).

I don’t think I knew about the “no double sacred sites” rule—before MMMaO, I don’t think the concept ever came up.  Just to clarify, you can have any number of *Presence* in a land, but no matter how many you have there, it just counts as *one* sacred site?

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Yup!

Microsillon

robb8888 wrote:

Really?  I had the opposite experience -- Many Minds and Sharp Fangs worked so well together that I'm hoping they don't de-power Many Minds in the final version. 

Thank you very much for the feedback on playing Many Minds!  Yesterday was the first time i tried Many Minds, and i think there are some things i should have done differently. I definitely will keep your feedback in mind for the next time! :)

Tonight, we tried a 2 player game vs England level 3. My friend had Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, and i tried out Vengeance. Out of the 3 spirits i printed (thanks to the user who posted them), Vengeance was the one i felt i would be the most comfortable with, and i was right. The game went great. We won at Terror level 2, and i had cleared a whole board of the island by myself and went to help out at the other end with that great ''place a presence at 4 distance''. Moving the diseases around was also great, and the card generating fear with fire was very useful. I really really enjoyed that game, to the point where i want to play another game with Vengeance real soon. 

We did get my favorite event early in the game (War touches the islands' shores) and i almost always pick option one with this event to clear out a few big cities early on. (despite the blight.. but with Vengeance, it set up a nice area where i could use the blight to create more damage later on)

The innate powers were also good.. the fast one being used often.. the slow one a bit less but still very useful (as long as you can get the 2 disease to stay in the same land.. sometimes early on you just want to prevent as much as possible). I used the destroyed presence one to damage the invaders.. against a city. 

Fun spirit!! i hope it stays pretty much the same.. i know it's one i will look forward to playing very often.

AdamH

These proxies look great, thanks to robb for taking the time to put them together and make them look good. I just printed these off and put them on my set and I'm excited to get this to the table next weekend :-D

A friend of mine did a freeze-frame on one of the videos that showed off the aspects and put the images in a folder that he shared with me. I don't think I have the time or the artistic skill to make them look good, but I'll link the folder here in case anyone wants to do that. Otherwise I might print them out as-is at some point, I'm not sure.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cZ6fwmcmRHdtBcbUhwl7IKeiWTTiA9Ps

robb8888

AdamH wrote:

These proxies look great, thanks to robb for taking the time to put them together and make them look good. I just printed these off and put them on my set and I'm excited to get this to the table next weekend :-D

A friend of mine did a freeze-frame on one of the videos that showed off the aspects and put the images in a folder that he shared with me. I don't think I have the time or the artistic skill to make them look good, but I'll link the folder here in case anyone wants to do that. Otherwise I might print them out as-is at some point, I'm not sure.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cZ6fwmcmRHdtBcbUhwl7IKeiWTTiA9Ps

This is great!  I was going to start work on the Aspects next, but dreaded going through the videos to freeze-frame each image.  This makes it *much* easier.  I'll work on these next -- probably have them up and in shape in a week or less.   

Microsillon

little question for anyone that would know.. about Badlands.

Vengeance seems to use blight as if it was Badlands. I just wanted to understand how Badlands would work. I know that once you deal damage, for each badland token (and blight in the case of Vengeance), it deals one more damage to the invaders. My question is: if you have a land with 3 single explorers.. and you deal 1 damage to one of them.. and there's a badland token, would that do a damage to a DIFFERENT invader (in the same land)?

I understand the ''if you do 1 damage to a village, and there's a badland token, an extra damage is dealt and the village is gone'', but i was just wondering if that applies to different invaders in the same land.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

Microsillon wrote:

little question for anyone that would know.. about Badlands.

Vengeance seems to use blight as if it was Badlands. I just wanted to understand how Badlands would work. I know that once you deal damage, for each badland token (and blight in the case of Vengeance), it deals one more damage to the invaders. My question is: if you have a land with 3 single explorers.. and you deal 1 damage to one of them.. and there's a badland token, would that do a damage to a DIFFERENT invader (in the same land)?

I understand the ''if you do 1 damage to a village, and there's a badland token, an extra damage is dealt and the village is gone'', but i was just wondering if that applies to different invaders in the same land.

You don't have to deal the bonus damage to the same invader unless the power explicitly says it's being dealt to a single invader. If it says 1 damage to Town, you could use the bonus damage to destroy the town, or damage a second town.  But if it said 1 damage to 1 Town, you would have to deal the second damage to the same town.  If it says 1 damage to 1 explorer, the bonus damage is wasted (but I can't think of any powers that are that restrictive).

Microsillon

Lorkenpeist wrote:

You don't have to deal the bonus damage to the same invader unless the power explicitly says it's being dealt to a single invader. If it says 1 damage to Town, you could use the bonus damage to destroy the town, or damage a second town.  But if it said 1 damage to 1 Town, you would have to deal the second damage to the same town.  If it says 1 damage to 1 explorer, the bonus damage is wasted (but I can't think of any powers that are that restrictive).

ok.. and it's really the power cards or the innate powers that i play that treat blight as badlands right?  for example, event ''Cultural assimilation''.. in the beast part of the card, it says that each beast deals 2 damage to a village or city. If a city is in a zone with 1 blight and a beast, it still only deals 2 because i'm now the one that did it.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Microsillon wrote:
ok.. and it's really the power cards or the innate powers that i play that treat blight as badlands right?  for example, event ''Cultural assimilation''.. in the beast part of the card, it says that each beast deals 2 damage to a village or city. If a city is in a zone with 1 blight and a beast, it still only deals 2 because i'm now the one that did it.
I'm not sure exactly your logic, but yes, with the Beasts Attack part of that card, you would only do 2 damage not boosted by Blight, because it's an Event, not a Power. (Maybe you meant you're not the one that did it?)
Microsillon

dpt wrote:

I'm not sure exactly your logic, but yes, with the Beasts Attack part of that card, you would only do 2 damage not boosted by Blight, because it's an Event, not a Power. (Maybe you meant you're not the one that did it?)

Yes that's what i meant :) 

The ''treat blight as badlands'' part of Vengeance only applies to powers (my cards or innate power).

Thank you :)

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

EDIT: Ignore this!  The rules have changed.  Playtesting!  I'm keeping it intact as a memorial to my hubris. 

One of the dangerous things about Badlanda is that they HAVE to do the damage. So if you do 1 damage to an explorer in a land with 2 badlands, and the only other target in that land is a Dahan, the badlands go after the Dahan. You also have to be SUPER careful about damage allocation in Ravage- if there are no more invader targets after the Dahan Counterattack, any Badlands damage goes to the Dahan. Badlands are REALLY potent, but they are a double edged sword!

robb8888

OK -- the latest (as of 11/7/2018) versions of all of the print and play spirits, AND the aspect cards are online.  Links are here:

Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble/Vengeance as a Burning Plague

Many Minds Move As One

Finder of Paths Unseen

Aspect Cards

somolov

FYI, your Finder of Paths Unseen link seems to be a duplicate of the Aspect Cards link.

robb8888

somolov wrote:

FYI, your Finder of Paths Unseen link seems to be a duplicate of the Aspect Cards link.

I've re-re-re-re...done all of the spirits a bunch of times, and they're now all together in one file under a single link:

https://docdro.id/ArliIKE

ras906
ras906's picture

So, assuming you can remove presence in any direction from Finders of Paths Unseen, I don't think there is any point, (outside of asthetic symmetry) for there to be a connection between +1 range, air, water, earth, and the +1 energy/turn. It seems you should always hit the 3 energy per turn. Am I missing something?

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

ras906 wrote:

So, assuming you can remove presence in any direction from Finders of Paths Unseen, I don't think there is any point, (outside of asthetic symmetry) for there to be a connection between +1 range, air, water, earth, and the +1 energy/turn. It seems you should always hit the 3 energy per turn. Am I missing something?

No, you have it right. I have a vague recollection of talk in playtesting about removing that line and making the "+1" more clear and consistent by just making it a "4".  That being said, as the spirit is still in development, the tracks may have changed since then.

robb8888

Lorkenpeist wrote:

ras906 wrote:

No, you have it right. I have a vague recollection of talk in playtesting about removing that line and making the "+1" more clear and consistent by just making it a "4".  That being said, as the spirit is still in development, the tracks may have changed since then.

Maybe I'm missing something:  If you were to take Presence off the sheet as follows (which I think you could accomplish realistically in game terms by using your Growth #3 (+2 Energy) option):

Gather 1 Dahan-->Move Presence/Sun-->3 Card Plays-->+1 Range/Air/Water/Earth-->+1 Energy/turn

You'd get to the +1 Energy/turn without ever reaching 3 Energy, right?  As a matter of fact, now that I look at it, there are lots of ways to reach +1 Energy without getting to 3 Energy (or 2, for that matter).

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

robb8888 wrote:
...You'd get to the +1 Energy/turn without ever reaching 3 Energy, right?
Correct. But that would be worse for you than just taking the 3 Energy.
robb8888

dpt wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

...You'd get to the +1 Energy/turn without ever reaching 3 Energy, right?

Correct. But that would be worse for you than just taking the 3 Energy.

Ah...I see.  It is a choice, but one that nobody would ever take. 

And I realize we're talking in "maybes" and "could be-s," since the print-and-play proxy is just a playtest version, but it still makes sense in the other direction:   Someone could go (ex:) straight through to 3+1 card plays, then decide they want +1 Range/Air/Water/Earth.  So on the playtest version, the line still needs to be there for people who want to make the "backwards" choice towards +1 Range, even though nobody will make the "forwards" choice away from +1 Range.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

But if you got up to 3+1 card plays, then you could use the line from 3 card plays to that spot in the middle...

ras906
ras906's picture

For the Grinning Trickster, his special rule, A Real Flair for Discord, confuses me a bit. I get the first part that says, when one of your powers adds strife in a land, you can add more strife. But it also says when this rule adds strife, you may add 1 strife. So does that mean every time the rule adds strife, you can just keep on paying 1 energy to add strife over and over again? 

Another question: For the trickster's second presence track, I am guessing you HAVE to push 1 dahan from one of your lands?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

That ability of Trickster's says "after one of your Powers adds [Strife] in a land".  A Real Flair for Discord isn't a power, so it can't trigger itself.

I thought presence track abilities were always optional, but I'm not finding that in the rulebook or FAQ.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

ras906
ras906's picture

Based off the file at the top of this thread and the kickstarter updates, the text says "When one of your powers OR this rule addes [Strife] ..."

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:
I thought presence track abilities were always optional, but I'm not finding that in the rulebook or FAQ.
It hasn't really been relevant before, but Jagged Earth has many more presence track abilities. Yes, they are optional. (And this will be in the Jagged Earth rulebook.)
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

ras906 wrote:

Based off the file at the top of this thread and the kickstarter updates, the text says "When one of your powers OR this rule addes [Strife] ..."

Bah, somehow my eyes just glossed right over that.  It sure does.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

ras906
ras906's picture

So, do you think it plays as I mentioned? You can place any number of strife as long as you can pay for it and have valid targets that  meet the range requirement?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

That's correct, with that version, you can keep chaining the rule off itself as long as you like.

ras906
ras906's picture

Anyone have any tips for Grinning Trickster? I played a basic game with the Trickster, Plague, and Serpent last night and won. Got unlucky and drew one of the blight cards and in return, killed a single explorer with trickster's innate. I hit the energy track until I got the 2 elements, and then got to 3 card plays. This way I could use my first innate most every turn and start using my second innate once I hit 3 card plays. I didn't plan ahead enough to effectively use the second innate this first time through. 

Plague felt easier to play with and had a clean board pretty quickly. I hit 3 card plays and then uncovered energy for the rest of the game. (Wasn't trying to hit higher thresholds). 

robb8888

ras906 wrote:

So, do you think it plays as I mentioned? You can place any number of strife as long as you can pay for it and have valid targets that  meet the range requirement?

The "as long as you can pay for it" is the limiting factor there, I think.  Trickster doesn't have much energy on its tracks (the playtest/proxy version maxes out at 3), and if you keep taking the "+3 Energy" growth option, you're going to fall behind on placing Presence/drawing cards.  Now, if you play with a Spirit like River, who gives out Energy like candy, it might be a more viable option....

somolov

Any new spirits available for print-and-play yet? I've got ants in my pants!