The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

How do you lose?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester
How do you lose?

My friends and I aren't hugely experienced, but we're working our way up the adversary levels, one at a time.  Haven't lost yet, except for our first game when we had no idea what we were doing.  Some have been close, but it's always been by running out the Invader deck.  We've never flipped the Blight card, which makes it supposedly a "dominating victory," but when you're on the very last Invader card, it hardly seems that way.  I do see that the scoring method does heavily weight invader cards over Blight (2/card remaining vs. 1/(blight / # of players)).

How about everyone else?  Anyone else have the same experience?  Or is flipping the Blight card and have everything go to pot from there the more normal path to loss?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I usually end up flipping the Blight card, which oddly takes a lot of pressure off as you get a big infusion of blight usually when you need it.

Generally, I lose to blight. Don't think I've ever run out the Invader deck, which is another option for loss, and definitely haven't had anyone run out of presence before.

One thing I heard someone say recently is that victory and defeat in Spirit Island dovetail, which is why sometimes a win can feel anticlimactic, when you're so close to destruction and suddenly realize, oh! That's it, then!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've only ever lost to Blight, but I've been down to the last card or two in the Invader deck a couple of times. Never lost via a spirit running out of Presence but it came very close once when we got the "destroy a bunch of Presence on each board" Blight card (Tipping Point?) and I think that left me with only one Presence on the entire island. I think that was the same game where we had the "Destroy Presence or add Blight" Event the following turn, which was SO HELPFUL :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

fjur
fjur's picture

TakeWalker wrote:
Generally, I lose to blight. Don't think I've ever run out the Invader deck, which is another option for loss, and definitely haven't had anyone run out of presence before.

Me too.

This space was intentionally left blank.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

I have lost in all the (non scenario) ways there are to lose, except running out of presence.  Blight is definitely most common, followed by invader deck (Brandenburg-Prussia is my default adversary).