The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Shadows Flicker Like Flame ....setup question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
TrueNorth
Shadows Flicker Like Flame ....setup question

I'm sorry I have to ask this, I am just learning the game. I know this is likely an simple that I am overthinking buuuut, here goes....I am trying to set up SFLF and the card says; " Put 3 Presence on your starting board. 2 in the highest numbered jungle and 1 in Land #5"

What and where is "Land #5" ?

Does it mean any space on the island with a #5 on it ?

Thanks in advance for your help

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Each space on the island is called a land. The lands on each island board are numbered (1-8 on the standard side). The initial presence placement rules are typically based on terrain, but often care about other things, such as the land number (as in this case) or the presence of Dahan.

An example: if you are setting up Shadows on board A, you would place two presence in land number 8 (the highest-numbered jungle) and one presence in land number 5 (a wetland in this case, but that isn't relevant). In a multi-spirit game, all initlial presence you place is on your starting board only, unless otherwise specified (currently only Sharp Fangs, from the Branch and Claw expansion).

Does this help?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

What Grysqrl said, to which I will add the clarification that your setup text does specify to put the Presence "on your starting board", so whicihever board you start on, that's where it goes - so far I believe the only spirit that gets the option to have Presence on any other board at the start is the aforementioned Sharp Fangs, who can put one in any land that has a Beast in it, and for whom the setup text does specify that this one goes "anywhere on the island".

So basically just pick whichever board is nearest you at the start of the game and use that as your starting board - you can and should spread from it as the game goes on, to help out the other spirit(s) as and when they need it and to avoid being the only spirit with Presence on a board when you get some horrible Event/Blight effect that says "destroy X Presence per board" :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

TrueNorth

Excellent and quick responses 

I didn't realize that the numbers on each island board was sequentially numbered. I thought the numbers were some sort of value related to power of that Land type.

thanks for the clarification 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

No worries :). Yeah, the numbers and icons on each board are only relevant during setup, though I think one or two Adversaries/Scenarios have win/loss conditions which can take place in certain numbered lands (I remember Land 7 being relevant in something, for example).

I am the Wordweaver...

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

No worries :). Yeah, the numbers and icons on each board are only relevant during setup, though I think one or two Adversaries/Scenarios have win/loss conditions which can take place in certain numbered lands (I remember Land 7 being relevant in something, for example).

You're thinking of the 2-player version of the scenario "guard the Island's Heart." If the Invaders build a town there, you lose. (In the 3 and 4-player versions, the "inner lands" are defined by the middle of the board, which doesn't exactly exist in a 2P layout.)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay yeah, I've only read through the Scenarios and Adversaries, haven't actually played with one yet :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

Okay yeah, I've only read through the Scenarios and Adversaries, haven't actually played with one yet :D.

We should fix that.

I have a snow day on 29 January, and probably on 30 January, too. Forecast is for a high of -12 C tomorrow and -21 C on Wednesday.