The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question of the Day!

745 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I have an umbrella, but I never use it, even if it's absolutely tipping down. It's just a plain black one. I just find them more trouble at the end of the journey than benefit during it.

New day, new quesiton!

A day in the life! Is there any one specific person you would want to be for a day? Someone famous, someone with a particular job you've always been interested in, a person who was somewhere when a particular thing happened?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

When I went to Epcot I got an umbrella as a souvenier from the Japanese pavilion. The handle looks like a sword's hilt, and it comes in this cool sling that you can wear across your back(Yes, I'm a weeb). What's REALLY cool is that when water falls on the normally black material, you can see all these different symbols for different houses of samurai.

But as luck would have it, something bad happened when my friend shipped it to me. One end of the cardbord box was smashed and looked like an accordian leaning to one side, and my poor umbrella's handle was bent. :( Thankfully my dad is a bit of a fix-it man, and was able to get it back to a usable state.

Sundau Question: Has a package ever been shipped to you in a damaged state? What'd it look like? Were your items damaged, or were the shipping gods kind and your stuff was unharmed?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

No one interested in admitting to wanting to be another person? I can't think of anyone either.

Sunday question- I think I've had a bent card in a game that was shipped to me once, but that's about it.

New day, new question!

Speaking of things arriving in the mail...

Single use Monocles! What’s the biggest single "wasteful" purchase you have made?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

So I guess it's just me that gets packages smashed every so often. :/

How can a Monocle be made 'single-use'?

I suppose my most wasteful purchase could be any of the numerous games that I've bought but still haven't gotten the chance to play...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nah, I've had a few packages destroyed, just didn't have a chance to get out here in time to answer. :-\ Usually what was being delivered is okay -- or good enough I'm not going to stress over it -- but I've had a couple items that were destroyed. 

My wasteful purchases are usually things I already had and forgot / didn't know we had.

Something I've also had happen is when Amazon sends me a notice that the  vendor I bought something from said it had been damaged during shipping (overlapping the two questions! :-) so they cancelled my order, and I'd have to re-order it. Which I do. And then the original order arrives. Followed by the second order... :-\ I just had this happen for the third time over the weekend, but this time I waited and didn't order again, so I won't get a second one. :-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Phantom5613 wrote:
How can a Monocle be made 'single-use'?

I have no idea but Zach Weinersmith somehow managed it.

Wasteful purchases? I there was a board/miniatures game I was interested in where the company that made it was going out of business, I bought some £200 worth of stuff for it and I haven't touched it since I got it.

New day, new question!

Speaking of Monocles, Glasses! Do you wear them? Do you wear contact lenses? Have you has laser eye surgery to correct your eyesight?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I wear glasses, and I don't plan on getting surgery any time soon.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Glasses.   I wore contacts for a while but my eyes felt so dried out. I have no had laser eye surgery nor do I plan too.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I also wear glasses, occassionally. Never wanted to try contacts, I don't think I could put my finger in my eye every day.

New day, new question!

Speaking of bad senses, if you had to lose all but one of your senses, which would you save? Why that one?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Probably eyesight - don't think I'd want to be unable to read. I suppose maybe smell would be second, so I could at least mostly enjoy food (I think about 80% of the flavour of food comes via smell, not taste). Then again, not being able to experience touch would make a lot of things very difficult (holding things, using a mouse and keyboard, etc). Hmm...I think what I'm saying is that the one I would least be worried ot lose would be hearing. But I'd still rather not lose that ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

I'd be fine if I lost touch, taste, or smell. Hearing and sight are important to me though. Sight above all I guess.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Of all my senses, I think my sense of self is the one I would miss the most.

New day, new question!

High Five! Are you expressive with your hands? Do you give people a thumbs up? What's your favourite/most used hand gesture?

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I talk with my hands a lot. Super expressive. 

I gesture to emphasize, and for fun. 

One of my most used or favourite USB to add the “snap” to various actions. The snap and point for “you got this/hey there “.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Powerhound_2000

I typically flail my hands around when speaking to audiences as I get nervous but in smaller setting I am not very expressive with my hands. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I tend to wave my hands around/gesture a lot whilst talking. I often wave hello/goodbye to people as well, and clap when excited/something cool happens. But it's not usually very open and expansive, more kind of closer in to myself.

I am the Wordweaver...

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

I tend to use my hands as an alternative to speaking with words, either out of laziness or comedic effect. My favorite gesture is the facepalm.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'm not very expressive with my hands, usually. I've played a few RPGs where my characters were so I did it then, wiggling my fingers around as a wave and acting out my groups exploits via flinging my arms around, usually resulting in knocking over someone's drink (in game only). Outisde of that, the High Five is my most common hand gesture.

New day, new question!

For he's a jolly good fellow! Do you have a favourite celebratory song?

Powerhound_2000

We Are The Champions by Queen is what first comes to mind. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Good pick! That's what I would go with too.

New day, new question!

MP3s, vinyl, tapes, CDs, what medium did you grow up listening to? Can you tell any difference in sound quality as technology has progressed (or regressed if you prefer)?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

8-tracks, vinyl, and cassettes when I was growing up. 

I remember how excited we were when CDs came out while we were in college. We had seven of us in our apartment: one person bought a player, everyone bought their own CDs, and we took turns playing them. It was great! 

I think the quality has gotten better (depending on the situation), although I think listening to Alan Parson's Tales of Mystery and Imagination on a headset via cassette is just as good as CD...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Powerhound_2000

Cassettes, CDs, and then mp3s.  Honestly I can’t tell a difference in quality. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Same as Powerhound - had cassettes when I was a kid, then aged into CDs and now MP3s. Although add in ye-olde-fashioned records into that as well, as my parents have a fairly large collection between them and we had a hi-fi system thing with a record player so I got to listen to a bunch of those as a kid too.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Vinyl were still around when I was growing up, but cassettes were the new medium and soon took over. So much time spent with a pencil trying to spool that magnetic tape back in, I do not miss that! I can remember when CDs where thought of as the thing "the rich kid" had, and magazines were printing articles like "10 things to do with your CDs when they are scratched. 1. A coaster.". Dark times.

I've never noticed a difference in quality over the mediums.

New day, new questions!

Too much or too little? Would you rather have access to a thing but not enough to satisfy you or so much that it becomes boring to have it all the time?

Powerhound_2000

Probably limited access though I’d likely complain.   

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I suppose it depends what it is. I mean, if it's something like people to play games with, I'm already in the former category. If it was something like food, I'd rather have the latter ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

If it's something non-essential like episodes of a tv show or , then too little.

If I need it to live, then I'm pretty sure anyone would say they'd rather have too much.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Agreed, I've seen plenty of media that I lose interest in and think I could pinpoint exactly the spot where it should have stopped...though I didn't know it at the time. Makes me look back at the things that were "cut short" more positively!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'd rather have too little than too much and become bored of it. Boredom is my enemy and must be quashed!

New day, new question!

Won! What is the best thing you have ever won? Was it a competition? Did it come with a prize? Or was it the prize itself?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I've won 4 chili cookoffs, which I'm quite proud of... 

My three meat bbq chili is pretty damned spectacular. :D

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Writes RPGs and cooks chili? How are you so spectactular?

New day, new question!

As some of you might have seen there was a countdown hidden in the previous five questions, which was to lead to my 100th question... but then I realised I nothing planned for it, all that planning into getting the questions to hide the numbers and no pay off!

So I guess the best I've got for this 100 mark is "Are you going to back the Sentinel Comics RPG Kickstarter"?

Powerhound_2000

Yes.  Not sure how much ultimately.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep! Don't know if the group I play with will be interested in the system (and I have my own concerns with it :-), but I really like the system and want it to be successful! 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

It's already live and funded at this point, from what I'm aware of!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Already backed for the PDF.  I had to shell out for a new car last week, after totalling our prior one during a snowstorm, so funds are a bit tight, to say the least.  That said, the insurance payout took care of the majority of the new wheels, so, if things look better when the pledge manager goes live, I'll likely pick up a hard copy and the History of SC book as well.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm in for the Sentinel Collector pledge. If I budget right, that should work out fine. February is also my Birthday month, so this is my present to me, in a way.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Already backed!  Been waiting for this for a while so very excited!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Nope.

I had people all lined up to try it out when it was announced/hinted at but now X years later I'm just not interested any more... or more accurately I'm just disappointed that this was billed as a new system when it's not, it's the same system that Critical hits did for Marvel with a new bit integrated to it. It might be enough to make it a new system for some people but not for me.

And on that downer I'm "officially" stepping down as Question of the Day asker. 100 questions is a nice big number to end on (and modesty forbids me from mentioning that is more than double than other askers have asked) but I shall be back if I have a burning question to ask (or if I will get burned for not asking questions).

Powerhound_2000

Thanks for the contribution 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thank you for all the work on this, Matchstickman! It was greatly appreciated! :-) 

Anyone else interested in taking up the mantle, even if only for a little while? 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks, Matchstickman! Awesome job!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thanks, Matchstickman!

Uh, oh, today's question comes with hidden responsibilities... ;)

Rabit wrote:

Anyone else interested in taking up the mantle, even if only for a little while? 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Trajector wrote:

Uh, oh, today's question comes with hidden responsibilities... ;)

Hey! You're giving away my secrets! ;-) 

(Nice -- I honestly hadn't thought of that! :-D )

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Thank you people, it was a pleasure.

Rabit wrote:

Looks to me like you do Rabit! Which would be pretty much on point with how I got the "job" too!

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Wow, guess someone needs to start asking questions again.

Question 1: What cutting-edge technology aren’t enough people talking about?

Mine has gotta be programmable magnets.

Pages