The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Grinning Trickster - Incite the Mob

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
robb8888
Grinning Trickster - Incite the Mob

I realize this is still a spirit in testing, but for any playtesters out there, I had a question re: the wording on the Incite the Mob card:

1 Invader with [Strife] deals damage to other Invaders.  

If it is then the only Invader left in target land, remove 1 [Strife] from it.  
Otherwise, 1 [Fear].

This is a power in Slow power, taking place after the Invaders Ravage and Strife tokens are removed.  What if all of the Strife tokens have been removed in a land -- does the "Otherwise 1 [Fear]" language still operate?  Does it matter whether there is a single Invader or more than one Invader in the land?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

If there are multiple invaders left, you get 1 fear. Otherwise, you don't.Having no strife to remove does not give you fear if it's the only invader left in the land.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Trickster also has ways of getting Strife in the slow phase, so should have limited trouble getting Strife int othe land this would affect.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Strife tokens only get removed in lands that have actually  ravaged. You can't use the first part of that power at all if there aren't any Invaders with Strife, and the one that you pick isn't going to die. So I'm having trouble making sense of your question. You know that you pick targets for Slow powers during the Slow phase at the time you activate them, right?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I believe one way to parse the question is, "if no lands in range have Strife, and at least one land in range has 2+ Invaders, can I (still) use the second clause of the card for 1 Fear?"

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

jffdougan wrote:
I believe one way to parse the question is, "if no lands in range have Strife, and at least one land in range has 2+ Invaders, can I (still) use the second clause of the card for 1 Fear?"
Right, that's a good question, and pretty ambiguous as that preview card was worded. I would say, "yes, you can use it for 1 Fear".
robb8888

dpt wrote:

Strife tokens only get removed in lands that have actually  ravaged. You can't use the first part of that power at all if there aren't any Invaders with Strife, and the one that you pick isn't going to die. So I'm having trouble making sense of your question. You know that you pick targets for Slow powers during the Slow phase at the time you activate them, right?

I played Incite the Mob primarily for the elements, knowing that post-Ravage, there would be no targets on which I could use Incite the Mob's primary power (making an Invader with Strife do Damage to other invaders).  Pre-Ravage there was Strife on a city in a land by itself (no other Invaders, no Dahan).  During Ravage, the Strife token was removed, saving the land from Blight, but leaving the city unharmed.   It then occurred to me, "I played it for the elements, not its primary function, but could I still get the 1 Fear out of it?"  The "Otherwise" wording seemed ambiguous to me, and I was trying to figure out:

(a) If there is an Invader with no Strife to remove, but which is not the only one left in the land, does that make it an "otherwise" situation, allowing you to generate 1 fear?

(b) If there is a lone invader with no Strife to remove (i.e. you didn't end up removing any Strife as directed by the card), does *that* make it an "otherwise" situation, allowing you to generate 1 fear?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Ah hah, now I get your question. The power has changed in playtesting; it is now clear exactly what you can and can't do. So this is a bit theoretical.

Assuming we're looking at the Gen Con text: https://twitter.com/JadiimJedi/status/1025505096912850945?s=20
I would say that none of the text makes any sense if you can't pick an Invader with Strife. So you wouldn't be able to do anything in that case.

But feel free to rule it however you like.