The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
Griff's Dad

Oh, my. Just got a new fun combo. Void Guard Writhe fighting in The Final Wasteland. The Unforgiving Wasteland is out and Writhe plays Darkly Dreaming. It does enough damage to reduce all the environmental beasties to 1-2 hp. He destroys the cloak and...

...they damage themselves and take themselves out of the game.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Missed it by that much- was playing against Ultimate Baron Blade in Ruins of Atlantis with a fun team- Guise, Idealist, Setback, Skyscraper, Unity.  Pretty soon he had 15 cards in trash and about 7 in deck, with Pillars of Hercules out.  The only way to win at this point would be to discard or play enough cards from his deck to cause a reshuffle.  I managed to get him to 0 cards left.  Still lost...

payprplayn

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet (this is a really long thread), but Twist the Ether pairs really well with VG Writhe's Concealed Assailant.  +Damage is always good with effects that do repeated small hits, but TtE also lets you make everything the same type, so you can keep your shadow cloak (and the associated +damage). For those keeping score, that's three cards, one of which can be searched for at will, to give you 9 damage on a power.  Not the strongest combo in the game, by any means, but solid nonetheless.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

bluedarky wrote:

Cards under cards are still in play, they just have no text other than the name on their back, so tempests cards are still tempests cards.
Fun fact, this also works with Omnitron-U's base power, O-U's cards that are facedown or under other cards still trigger his 2 damage when destroyed.

I want to point out the fun of making Omitron-U the Representative of Earth for this very reason. People like Mainstay and K.N.Y.F.E. already like to blow their own stuff up, so using O-U's power to get more free damage out of those destructions is great. 

Bud doing this when destroying 4+ cards under one of Idealist's Constructs is amazing. Not to mention Bunker's Omni-Cannon. 

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Isolated Hero and Lonesome Highway. Apparently, since Isolated Hero means that the affected hero can't "see" the other heroes, his own cards consider him to be the hero with the lowest (and presumably the highest) HP. Definitely not an interpretation I would have come up with.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It would be the same if he was the only hero not incapacitated, I would assume!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Mainstay and Legacy make a surprisingly good damage/tank teamwork machine. Not only does Legacy buff up Mainstay to do even more damage, but with his 'Lead from the Front' and 'Next Evolution' combo he's also able to help him out with the retaliation damage from cards like 'Mano a Mano'. Not to mention how 'Motivational Charge' can help mitigate some of the damage from 'Shard-Form', especially when Mainstay is fully tanked up and only dealing himself 1 Toxic from it. And in return Mainstay can take over tanking duties for a while thanks to 'Leader of the Pack', just in case Legacy needs some time to rest and recover.

bolnerap

I just got done going through all the villains with base Void Guard. People have talked about Umbral Siphon shutting down Spite, but Idealist also has a great anti-Spite function: Making Things Up's ability to play as many concepts as you have in hand can easily let Idealist keep up with the ongoing/equipment bouncing back to hand by herself, allowing the rest of the team to stay set up.

Hankroyd

Naturalist's Natural-Born Vigor and Malpractice Dr. Medico's power.

During the Naturalist's turn, Dr Medico deals 4 energy damage and the Natural Born Vigor stays in play, allowing the Naturalist to use an extra power.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Hankroyd wrote:

Naturalist's Natural-Born Vigor and Malpractice Dr. Medico's power.

Oooo, I need to try that out. Four extra damage a turn? Yes, please!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Would that work with Second Opinion too? Or does that only trigger if Medico causes the healing?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It would work with Second Opinion giving the Naturalist three power uses in a turn if they wanted. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Gus_Smedstad

Oooh, that’s a subtle bit of wording on “Natural Born Vigor.” It never crossed my mind that you can activate the first part (“heal 4”) without activating the second part (“destroy this card”) if effect prevent the healing, and possibly get a benefit. Normally I pay attention to “if he takes damage this way” because it’s a common conditional on cards like Polyphonic Flare, preventing a benefit if you prevent the damage, but it didn’t occur to me that the “if” on Natural Born Vigor prevents a drawback if you prevent the healing.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Funnily enough, you can do that without Red Right Hand. Just say you want to regain HP when he's missing 3 or fewer; he won't heal 4 HP, therefore the card won't be destroyed.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Funnily enough, you can do that without Red Right Hand. Just say you want to regain HP when he's missing 3 or fewer; he won't heal 4 HP, therefore the card won't be destroyed.

:-O

carnilius
Playtester

Probably old and long since discovered, but I didn't realize that if Baron Blade had 2 HP and a Mobile Defense Platform in play, when Tachyon sucker punches him the Mobile Defense Platform in play gets put in the discard.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

More Fixed Point shennanigans. If Benchmark has more Software than Hardware, each Software's start of turn check will draw you a card and destroy nothing. 

Conversely, Idealist is sad because she can't destroy cards under her Concepts, and Writhe is sad because he can't destroy his Shadow Cloak. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

darkroydante wrote:

Conversely, Idealist is sad because she can't destroy cards under her Concepts, and Writhe is sad because he can't destroy his Shadow Cloak. 

Let's add in Mainstay and all his destructible stuff.

Powerhound_2000

Mainstay isn’t bothered too much.  Stuntman is offput by it since he wants to destroy his Ongoings.   The exception, however, is with Moving Target which if Stuntman is dealt damage by a villain target he gets to use a power but still gets to keep it in play. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

He may not be as bothered by it as other heroes are, but it still denies a lot of his helpful secondary effects. Void Belter's destruction damage has been quite helpful mumerous times when I needed that exta bit of damage to finish off a target, just to name one example.

Powerhound_2000

It’s more situational compared to Idealist or Stuntman but I’ll stop it here so as to not derail the thread.  

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Played a game with Mister Fixer, Visionary, and Termi-nation Absolute Zero.

Fixer had Driving Mantis.

Visionary put Twist the Ether on Absolute Zero, because of course.

Absolute Zero had Null Point Calibration Unit, Focused Apertures, and Thermal Shockwave.

After using Violent Shivers, Abs could fire off the Shockwave and:

- Do damage to one target, let Visionary pick Cold and increase, for 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 5.

- Do damage to Mister Fixer, let Visionary pick, oh, Energy, and DECREASE, for 1 - 1 + 2 = 2, at which point Driving Mantis lets Fixer retarget the damage to the same target as above. Then Visionary picks Cold and INCREASE, for 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 5 damage.

Then Absolute Zero can hit something else for 5, and then heal a bunch.

Oh, there was also a Cold Snap in there. And the Argent Adept, so the combo happened every round.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I call this one the Balrog:

Imbued Fire + Concealed Assailant

Griff's Dad

Wow. Just unexpectedly helped a villain.

Void Guard Medico with the original Sentinels. Original Wraithe has his Caliginous Form out.

Void Guard Medico plays Immunize. Which Caliginous Form redirects to the villian. Since Immunize is irreducible, the -2 doesn't come into play. Net result? Void Guard Medico just made the villain immune to damage.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Oof

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

I call this one the Balrog:

Imbued Fire + Concealed Assailant

Yeah, anything that changes all of VGWrithe's damage to a singe type(except Infernal, I believe) make CA fantastic.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Why not Infernal? I just looked through his deck and didn't see any reason, as long as it's the same type. In the Court of Blood, Infernal is frequently the best choice.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I believe it's infernal that triggerst te distruction effect? I coud be mistaken, and it could be just a second form of damage that triggers it. I don't have the cards in front of me right now.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

I believe it’s if 2 types of damage were dealt this way

Trajector
Trajector's picture

bluedarky wrote:

I believe it’s if 2 types of damage were dealt this way

^^^ Yup, if at least 2 types were dealt. So, yeah, Twist the Ether and Close Quarters Combat are also great. But Imbued Fire has the advantage of the "shadow and flame" joke! ;)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Last night I was playing Benchmark and Sky-Scraper's player gave me the link which provides a power that allows a hero to look through their deck for an Equipment card and put it into play.

Mwa ha ha ha ha!

The first thing I did was get equipment to give me extra powers.

We were playing against a custom villain that didn't have (or at least didn't play) any ongoing or equipment destruction. Benchmark ended up with about ten cards in play and DID ALL THE THINGS.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Hankroyd

Champion Studios was the first OblivAeon environment I played. It was previewed on Twitch yesterday and ... Well there was some funny interaction.

1) 'Bottom of the 9th' plays the top cards of each hero deck at the beginning of the environment turn, then chech if H hero one-shots were played. Thing is : Not all cards played by Bot9 have to be One-shot.

If Tachyon, for example, manages to play multiple one-shots (via Fleet of Foot or Lightning Reflexes) each one counts for the win

Ditto with 'Props Department': it it was played before Bot9, all one-shot played by it counts to win that baseball game.

Who said hero was above cheating? :)

2) Car Chase Scene is a great way to say goodbye to the Stunt Doubles without discarding cards : The discard only occur when the Double is reduced to 0 HP. The chase allow him to die with 1 or 2 HP left.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Props Department acts at the end of the environment turn; it doesn't interact with Bottom of the 9th.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

I've used this one a few times with Benchmark. Legion Core Processor (extra power at start of turn) and Overhaul Loadout. Use a power from a software card at the start of your turn, then play Overhaul Loadout to return that card to your hand and play it again right away. You can then use that power again durng your power phase since it just came out. It's handy for when you want to spam a power.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

QuirkyDM wrote:

I've used this one a few times with Benchmark. Legion Core Processor (extra power at start of turn) and Overhaul Loadout. Use a power from a software card at the start of your turn, then play Overhaul Loadout to return that card to your hand and play it again right away. You can then use that power again durng your power phase since it just came out. It's handy for when you want to spam a power.

That's ... that's ... that's EVIL. Very cool. I'm not even 100% sure that should be within the rules of the game ... my understanding is that you can't use the same power on the same card more than once in the same turn, but I don't know if I've ever seen a ruling about how taking a card out of play and putting it back into play in the same turn would affect that.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Hankroyd

MigrantP wrote:

Props Department acts at the end of the environment turn; it doesn't interact with Bottom of the 9th.

I checked the card and was sure it said at 'start' too ... Well I guess I could use some reading lesson. :)

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

arenson9 wrote:

That's ... that's ... that's EVIL. Very cool. I'm not even 100% sure that should be within the rules of the game ... my understanding is that you can't use the same power on the same card more than once in the same turn, but I don't know if I've ever seen a ruling about how taking a card out of play and putting it back into play in the same turn would affect that.

Yeah, this works according to the video game. A card leaving play and re-entering seems to be treated like a brand-new copy of that card. 

A similar example is Benchmark's Onboard Cooling Systems. If you play a Software at the start of your turn, Cooling Systems will trigger and deal 2 targets 2 cold damage. Then, if you pick up and replay Cooling Systems with Overhaul Loadout, then play another Software later in your turn, Cooling System will trigger again. 

Same thing with Legion Core Processor itself. If you can pick it up at the start of your turn (use the start of turn power granted by the Processor to use Supply and Demand's base power and play Overhaul Loadout from the top of your deck) you can replay Processor and it will trigger again since it's still the start of your turn. 

Benchmark is a bit nutty.     

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Whoa. I would not have expected either of those to be true.

On a related note, when playing Benchmark, in particular (but also Idealist), I find it difficult to keep track of what text is allowing me to do whatever the video game is allowing me to do at any given moment. I wonder if there's a way for the game to provide explanations of what's allowing any given action.

Powerhound_2000

If you playing on a tablet or PC it should have the card highlighted to the side or above.  The phone version doesn’t have as much space to do that. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If you playing on a tablet or PC it should have the card highlighted to the side or above.  The phone version doesn’t have as much space to do that. 

Cool. I have the steam version, but a slow computer, so it's been a long time since I used anything besides the Phone version.

origamiswami

One time while playing Visionary against Voss, I managed to get a Wrest the Mind onto the Psi-Weaver and then play Telekinetic Cocoon with 1 hp left on Vis.  Essentially, I mind-controlled one of his minions to attack him every turn, with no damage to Visionary or the minion!  He was on his flip-side too, so it was dealing 4 damage to him every villain turn.

Qapla!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

That's a pretty neat idea. I might try that out one day, minus the '1hp' part.

Do you remember if you won that game or not?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I actually quit out of a game today because Imbued Vitality came out alongside Lady Luck and I just mentally blue-screened. Tried setting it up in the digital game, though, and was surprised at the result!

Imbued Vitality basically doesn't add anything to lady Luck's rules. I'd have thought being dropped to or below 0 HP would mean a constant cycle of being destroyed and preventing its own destruction until you found a Lucky card in Kismet's deck. Instead, if the revealed card isn't Lucky, Lady Luck just soldiers on, with 0 or -2 or -6 or however many HP, until it no longer has HP to care about (or you find the Lucky card after another hit). It's basically an indestructible target, and I'm sorry there wasn't more around to have shenanigans with. (Nothing in Realm of Discord hits lowest, after all.) Bizarre, wanted to share my findings.

Gus_Smedstad

That doesn't sound right. 0 HP is something that's normally checked constantly, in game terms. I think your initial interpretation is the correct one - it should continue discarding cards from Kismet's deck until you reveal a lucky card, in which case Lady Luck then gets destroyed. I don't think the digital version is correct in only checking once.

The exception is if Kismet runs out of cards. Then it should just be destroyed, since it says "reveal" not "draw," and it can't prevent destruction if there's no card.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I can only assume the way it works in digital is the way it's meant to. This isn't a very new set, after all...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I would also assume your initial assumtioas to be correct, because that's how it interacts with Fixed Point. You don't have to hit tgings again to destroy them when Fixed Point goes away. I call it a bug, or an incorrect judgement.

-- Trajector

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

From the fireside chat

Quote:
 Lady Luck reveals a card when Kismet herself would be destroyed, and will prevent her destruction if the revealed card is not a Lucky card and her HP is >= 0. If it is a Lucky card, she will be destroyed. Specifically, if the card is Fortune's Smile and her HP is <= 0, she may regain HP to above 0, but since she's in the process of being destroyed, the game will still end.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I feel like that didn't really address the actual issue being discussed

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

I’ve sent feedback on beta boards to Handelabra on it.  As to whether more cars are revealed or just one I’m not sure yet.  Ultimately Lady Luck will be destroyed if it’s at 0 or less HP and not check only once then be fine with it.  

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This is more just a rules question that I can't be bothered to check myself, but it does involve a self-interaction.

Does Cosmic Inventor Writhe's power stack with itself? I kind of suspect no, but more importantly, can it be refreshed?

Say the environment hits everyone for 2. The hit to Writhe is prevented by Mk. II Shadow Projector. Then the Dynamic Siphon next to him is hit, allowing him to use Shadow Projector again. Would using it on himself then prevent the next hit to him on that same turn? And afterward, would he be able to take two hits during the villain turn without damage?

Pages