The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Order of play question

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nagnazul
Playtester
Order of play question

In a 2-player game, let's say both players are doing growth and pick a growth option that involves gaining a power. Is it within the rules for player 1 to look at 4 minor powers, then player 2 to look at the next 4 minor powers before player 1 makes a choice? Having that extra information can be helpful for making a decision, but I'd like to know if that's within the rules. Wouldn't want to cheat while playing at the highest difficulties :)

Thanks!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I do that all the time so I certainly hope it's okay ;). And all too often I compare my four cards to those of the other person and grumble about how we should've drawn our four cards the other way around so that we each actually got options that involve our Elements and stuff :P. But yeah, as far as I'm aware there's no reason to wait for another player to pick their card before you draw four for yourself to choose from. And obviously you can only choose a card from the four you've drawn - you can't look at someone else's (or have them look at yours) and pick one of those ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Notdoing that would lenghten the game. Everything elseis pretty simultaneous i fail to see why this would be an exception. My group goes first come first served as far as getting those cards go.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It'll be an interesting consideration in the digital game.  In fact, simultaneous play on one device in digital is going to be interesting in general.  Very curious how Handelabra plans to implement that.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I've been puzzling over implementation issues in my spare time since they announced they were doing it.

I have come to the conclusion that leaving comp-sci in '02 was a very good decision on my part. <.<

Trajector
Trajector's picture

When in doubt, choose randomly?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

More than anything I'm curious how they'll manage to display a game with one large, complicated board, one small, simple board, 6 complicated player areas, 6 hands of cards and discard piles, and assorted piles of reserve tokens and other random junk.  On a phone. (Hopefully.)

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

This is one I could justifiably see as steam-only, or as Steam and tablets only.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Nagnazul wrote:

In a 2-player game, let's say both players are doing growth and pick a growth option that involves gaining a power. Is it within the rules for player 1 to look at 4 minor powers, then player 2 to look at the next 4 minor powers before player 1 makes a choice? Having that extra information can be helpful for making a decision, but I'd like to know if that's within the rules.

Yup, totally fine!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That's not me you're quoting, it's Nagnazul ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Ameena wrote:

That's not me you're quoting, it's Nagnazul ;).

Whoops! Fixed. Thanks. :)

(The OP doesn't have a "Quote" button, just "Reply", so I quoted someone else - you - pasted the relevant text in, then failed to change the attribution.)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ha, no worries :).

I am the Wordweaver...