The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

New Spam Technique

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
New Spam Technique

We have been seeing a new technique spammers have been using. They copy an old post from the forums to look legit, then edit it with spam links. If you see something like this come up, please PM the mods to delete it. Thanks!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I guess you could call that...

A Good Time-Spam.

I'll see myself out.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Is there a way we can report these spam-threads or the users that are making them? It's getting more obnoxious now with posts just filled with links.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

As Pydro said in the OP you can PM the mods about it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

morph147

Not letting me message you at moment power, but there is at least one on the spirit island forum and another on the video game forum at the moment

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

As Pydro said in the OP you can PM the mods about it.  

A list of the newest spam-threads have been sent to Pydro

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Might want to include multiple Mods in the future, in case Pydro's not available. :-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Could we maybe have the mods marked in the list of active users, so we know who to message?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That would be really helpful. I have no idea who the mods are, or at least I couldn't name any off the top of my head. c.c

Powerhound_2000

I’m sure I’m missing a few but Pydro, Rabit, Arenson9, and grysqrl are all mods

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The problem is remembering that list when you see a spam. Like, I know there are a lot of regulars, and many of them are mods, but I don't always remember exactly which. Eg, I'm always tempted to think that you are a mod, Powerhound 2000.

Powerhound_2000

Which I find odd but you’re not the only one I’ve found out.  

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

Could we maybe have the mods marked in the list of active users, so we know who to message?

Good idea. No idea if the admins can/will make it happen. In the meantime, note that if you click through each individual name in the list of active users, moderators will be labeled as such.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Only one you're missing is lynkfox. Still, we should have a place where folks can know who the mods are. We'll bring it up to the Admins. :-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Isn't there a "report post" button somewhere for if you think a post should be looked at by the Mods/Admin? At least one other forum I visit has such a thing. Then there's no hunting through a list of names, you just click the "Report" button at the top/bottom of the post in question and it brings up a message box or drop-down menu or whatever for you to fill in as to why you're flagging the post, and then sends that to all the Mods/Admin who are in a list to receive such.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000

There’s no report button that I’ve ever seen and the mods wouldn’t be able to set that up it would be the forum admin.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I believe that's on the wishlist for the new site... 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I just cut and pasted the address for each spam thread I found into a PM. Not as quick as a 'Report' button, but I guess it got the job done.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Phantom5613 wrote:

I just cut and pasted the address for each spam thread I found into a PM. Not as quick as a 'Report' button, but I guess it got the job done.

And thank you for sending it to multiple of us. I never got the PM notification, myself, due to the old PM notification bug, so I'm glad someone saw it and dealt with it. :-) 

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Only one you're missing is lynkfox. Still, we should have a place where folks can know who the mods are. We'll bring it up to the Admins. :-)

and truthfully I'm not much of a Mod. Have the status cause of the wiki, and I do delete spam when I see it, but I'm not around here very often to do actual modding work :/

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Thunder and Mud, the spammers were busy while I was gone!

Edit: Good work to the mod(s) who cleaned up that mess! :)