The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spirit Island: The Jagged Earth wishlist and discussion

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
Spirit Island: The Jagged Earth wishlist and discussion

Edit: I wanted to add the print and play options people have created so far from the Jagged Earth Kickstarter and put it all in one place instead of having to search for links. I do not claim any of these as my own and giving credit where it is due. Remember these may not be the final copies that will come with Jagged Earth but they are what we have based off pictures of reviews and what is shown on the kickstarter.

PnP rules for different variations and more players, Credit Jagged Earth Kickstarter - https://www.dropbox.com/s/evp70pilk7sgkkd/Jagged%20Earth%20PnP%20Rules%20-%20Play%20Options.pdf?dl=0

Burning Plage Seeks Vengence and Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble:

Credit robb888 - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/188RwnB65q45XZSFh9jKZMsJcJxDjUXMp - Quick print but I found it is hard to tell which starter card goes with which character.

Credit AdamH -  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TE3MbuuQ73hQicagbRGxB0AeGtCZbKkc - use this to check which starting cards are which. The link above is good to print quickly but it is hard for me to be able to tell which card goes to which spirit.

Finder of Paths Unseen

Credit robb8888 - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kT1HZ7miIV8wUEpZxC8pdA0RthI9N6j5

Rules on Isolate mechanic according to Braithwrathe (needed to be able to play Finder):

Essentially, it seals off a land and make it inaccessible.  Here are the pertinent bits:

1. Invaders skip all explore actions in Isolated lands (they do not explore into them, even if there is a building on the land, and they are not a source of explorers)

2. For invader pieces, Isolated lands are not considered adjacent to anything... unless you want them to be. So they can't be gathered/pushed unless you allow it. 

3. Sorry, but Isolate doesn't prevent blight from cascading. 

Many Minds Move as One

Credit Skepsis

Here's the board: https://docdro.id/YX4pJls Start up condition was left off the starting board on this one so you willl need to add it in. - one presence on your starting board in a land that has a Beast.

Here's the cards: https://docdro.id/tQLLuLn

As the kickstarter goes and if someone creates a new thing to add, please shoot me a message and I will add it here.

Original Post

Lets talk about our wishlist for the kickstarter that is supposely happening next week for spirit island.

Mine contains the following:

-5 and 6 player expansion with enough minis to make this possible. The one in the store just adds tokens for spirits but not enough invaders, dahan, fear, etc.

-at least 4 new spirits (we know of 2)

-one of the spirits that cause invaders to go to war with themselves.

-a promo spirit of  Akash'bhuta in some shape or form

-a promo spirit of Mr. Chomps, because we need Mr. Chomps in more games!!!!

-a promo spirit of Erik called The One who Creates, just because it would be fun.

-a promo spirit of Christopher called The Powerful One.

-5 new adversaries. I would love to see a few that are not European, maybe a Viking one? another fun one would be a sibling tribe of dahan that want to invade? Martians wanting to make this their new home to invade the rest of the world so the spirits are actually saving the planet?

-new scenarios? Not sure how much I want more of these. I like the adversaries more

-a dahan civil war mode? Maybe some dahan go bad and want to industrialize and overthrow the other dahan. This easily could be explain as "The island has been invaded before and the spirits have chased off the invaders but some of the dahan are looking at the technology left behind and decide to start using it and leaving their dahanning ways. The spirits are unhappy and have decided to chase off the dahan that have turned their backs on them."

-currently everything seems very colonial as invaders, what would happen if invaders from 2018 would show up instead?

-the expansion is currently done with playtesting and all GTG has to do is send it to the printers and we will have it in 6 months and no 2 year delay (:

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

On your last one, the big delay is the art.

Your first point h as been mentioned in a few interviews as one of the design goals.

I've heard tell that someplace Paul has said there will be at least 8. I know that Eric did a podcast interview where he confirmed a 3rd spirit as being in (Volcano Looming High).

From what else I know, I think you'll be happy on some of your other points.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

New adversaries and scenarios would be nice. Really, I just want new colors of presence tokens. :B It's a travesty that Rampant Green can't be green!

jlabrecque42

I think a more thematic approach to Akash'buta would be a vs. scenario.  An Akash'buta miniature, roaming the board and devouring presence, dahan, and colonists with the goal of gaining enough power to destroy the Nexus of the Void.

morph147

Forgot to add a bigger box to my wishlist. The bigger box needs to be big enough to hold the current stuff, the new expansion, and the 5 to 6 player expansion. It also needs to be big enough to hold another 3-4 expansions Incase they are done. 

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Don't you realize that wishing for a bigger box precludes wishing for a six-month timeline??!

morph147

Trajector wrote:

Don't you realize that wishing for a bigger box precludes wishing for a six-month timeline??!

ugh sadly you are right. Bigger box will probably cause a 3 year delay.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

(I get and like the joke, so don't take this wrong! ;-)

I love the BIG Sentinels box and think that was a wonderful way to approach the storage situation! But I hope for SI they just give us a big box that holds it all (later, when they are done with expansions), and have someone like Broken Token create inserts for it to structure the interior. :-D 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

One minor point from the first post...Vikings are European - Scandinavia is part of Europe :P. Also, the stereotypical raid-and-pillage Viking types (no, they didn't actually wear horned helmets) were doing their thing several hundred years before the colonial era, which I think was more aorund the 16-1700s...

But anyway, yeah looking forward to all the new spirits. And I agree that a single box into which everything could fit comfortably would be nice :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

morph147

Ameena wrote:

One minor point from the first post...Vikings are European - Scandinavia is part of Europe :P. Also, the stereotypical raid-and-pillage Viking types (no, they didn't actually wear horned helmets) were doing their thing several hundred years before the colonial era, which I think was more aorund the 16-1700s...
But anyway, yeah looking forward to all the new spirits. And I agree that a single box into which everything could fit comfortably would be nice :).

True. Was really thinking about some Asian ones when I said that. Maybe the Japanese? Also I was trying to say that they didnt have to stick to colonial times fully. There could be a Viking one earlier. I guess it boils down to if they want to keep the invaders all coming from the same era in time or not.

morph147

OOOOOOOO I just had a thought of another idea for the expansion!!!

Time has passed, and the island has too - therefore new map tile? Be interested to have a tile that does not have an ocean on it at all but not sure how to make that balance and work.

Joebobjoe
Playtester

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpQg7Z2WsAEJ6Dl.jpg:large

We’ve got a rough manifest of stuff planned for the expansion. Along with some very interesting previews.

morph147

Several of things on this made me excited and sad. Badlands looks interesting, but still would have liked to have seen the Dahan Civil War. I really like the Archapelico idea, this is a fun way to make it so 6 players could have 2 related games going on at once so it won’t get as bogged down. The second spirit shown off had an interesting spirit track but at same time really confused how it works. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

morph147 wrote:

still would have liked to have seen the Dahan Civil War. 

It could be one of the scenarios? :-\ Honestly, I don't know -- I've been playtesting, but haven't touched the scenarios at all. :-(

I do want to say (since it's public), look at that Aspect card. I'm really looking forward to the Aspects! They are going to be a lot of fun! :-D 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In case anyone is interested in the specifics, this was recently posted: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_utqBCl40M&feature=youtu.be

AdamH

This video is amazing. I'm almost certainly going to back this on Kickstarter :-D

I paused the video on pretty much every piece of text to take it in. I'ts unlikely I'll have the time to make any proxies (just had my first child) but I'll be counting down the days until I can play with this.

I'm wondering, some of the wordings seemed pretty wonky or unclear to me -- are you still at a point in production where you can tweak wordings? I'd offer my suggestions for improvements if so.

morph147

Was going through the video again and just realized, the expansion may contain the 5-6 player board but not the 5-6 player expansion. Am I reading this wrong? Time to summon Paul and Maggie for a clarification. Need this info so I know if I need to buy the 5-6 player expansion.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

AdamH wrote:
I'm wondering, some of the wordings seemed pretty wonky or unclear to me -- are you still at a point in production where you can tweak wordings? I'd offer my suggestions for improvements if so.
We're still playtesting, yes. Final texts won't be nailed down for some time.

(But also some of the texts are old, and in particular some of those Aspects will definitely be dropped.)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'm about 90% confident that it's been said elsewhere that support for 5-6 players has been one of the design goals for the expansion.

morph147

jffdougan wrote:

I'm about 90% confident that it's been said elsewhere that support for 5-6 players has been one of the design goals for the expansion.

hope so. Just realized the 5-6 player expansion and the one map is no longer in store

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

jffdougan wrote:
Yes, 5-6 player support is part of Jagged Earth.
morph147

13 more hours.

in other news, I wonder if this Kickstarter will contain any spirit island app goodies. 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I doubt it, because I don't think GtG/Handelabra want to commit time up front. Perhaps a code for expansion content at best.

morph147

jffdougan wrote:

I doubt it, because I don't think GtG/Handelabra want to commit time up front. Perhaps a code for expansion content at best.

your probably right. This will most likely be it’s own Kickstarter.

about 3 more hours to go. Probably 15 hrs till I can get on and back due to work and game night 

Malc
Playtester

It may be too late to ask this but uh, how does one get in on playtesting this expansion? Spirit Island is easily my favourite board game currently and I'd love to help out in testing and improving its latest expansion. 

Also everything shown in this thread looks great and I'm even more excited for this expansion to hit my table now. 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

That's a great big "we don't know" right now. In the July or August "State of GtG" thread, Paul mentioned that they've hired Chris (Braithwhite) as a Playtest Manager and were making moves toward adding new playtesters to the rolls. And I know that at Gen Con, they were collecting info from people who were interested in getting added to the rolls. But since then... crickets.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I just talked to Paul about this yesterday.  I've been holding off on a new open call for testers while I set up several internal testing procedures, as well as revamping how we communicate with our testers.  Now that Earth Prime is done, Prime War and Jagged Earth need a lot of focus testing.  As such, I want to bring on new testers, and I'll be making another open call.  I'll make a general announcement next week, but if you are seriously interested, just send me a DM.

morph147

I can not back until later tonight but after looking at the kickstarter, two questions come to mind:

1) The Broken Token insert is great but what is the timetable for release. I would kinda like to have it now and pay the extra 10 dollars compared to waiting until May 2020.

2) All of the add-ons look great, especially the preminum token pack. However my wife gave me a price limit that I am trying to respect for this kickstarter so if I can not get this during the kickstarter, will this be available in retail or on the website or is this a kickstater exclusive.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I don't think that GtG has ever done KS Exclusives in the past. they're not, for example, CMON.

morph147

jffdougan wrote:

I don't think that GtG has ever done KS Exclusives in the past. they're not, for example, CMON.

True. I just want to make sure I would be able to order it later if I choose not to right now. premimum tokens are great but they are something that I can live with ordering at a later date.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

They’ll all be available later.   As to whether your FLGS will carry them all is a different story and you might have to order directly from the GtG store.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

morph147

Powerhound. sounds good. Now the question is the broken token insert release date. I think that affects my decision on if I get it or not through the kickstarter.

robb8888

AdamH wrote:

I paused the video on pretty much every piece of text to take it in. I'ts unlikely I'll have the time to make any proxies (just had my first child) but I'll be counting down the days until I can play this.

First child — congratulations!  I only skimmed the video, but couldnt tell:  were there sufficient shots of the spirit boards/power cards to be able to make proxies? (Or does anyone have the relevant language?)  If so, I’d be happy to make some similar to the ones I did for Grinning Trickster/Burning Plague.  I’ve rather got the hang of it now, and it shouldn’t take too long.

AdamH

I think I could have made proxies from what'sin the video. I think there was only one power card in the shot of six that I couldn't see all of the elements of but it may be in some other shot (or you may be able to guess)

I will not be able to make proxies at this time. I have way too many other things to do that are a lot more important, and it's hard for me to get any games to the table, let alone Spirit Island which is a longer commitment.

I would love to be a playtester but if there's any expectation that I'll be able to play a certain number of games, I'm not sure  I can commit to it. I'll wait for the general announcement and see where things are :-)

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

I've asked this on BGG already but doesn't hurt to ask twice. The premium tokens look like they might be thicker than the regular ones. Will they still fit in the Broken Token insert? 

carnilius
Playtester

From the Kickstarter:

GreaterThanGames wrote:

We plan to make sure that the insert fits the wooden premium tokens (though you'll likely have to leave the cardboard tokens out if you want the wooden tokens to fit). It will also fit sleeved cards.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

From the Kickstarter:

GreaterThanGames wrote:

We plan to make sure that the insert fits the wooden premium tokens (though you'll likely have to leave the cardboard tokens out if you want the wooden tokens to fit). It will also fit sleeved cards.

Where does it say that? I can't find it even if I search for that text. 

carnilius
Playtester

Unfortunately it's buried pretty deep in the comments section, in reply to Stephen Robert Kuban.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

Unfortunately it's buried pretty deep in the comments section, in reply to Stephen Robert Kuban.

Great, thanks! Expansion + Broken Token + premium tokens it is!

artificemaryam
Playtester

Stoked for this. Just amazing. Almost enough clear enough card images to do PnP for Finder of Paths Unseen and Many Minds Move as One. Sopsyched about everything here. 

robb8888

AdamH wrote:

I think I could have made proxies from what'sin the video. I think there was only one power card in the shot of six that I couldn't see all of the elements of but it may be in some other shot (or you may be able to guess)

I will not be able to make proxies at this time. I have way too many other things to do that are a lot more important, and it's hard for me to get any games to the table, let alone Spirit Island which is a longer commitment.

Posting proxies of the GenCon playtest spirits was OK with GTG, so since these spirits are still "in beta," so to speak, I'm assuming that posting proxies of the new spirits is OK as well.  I've started the Kickstarter Proxy Project, in which I'll be making/posting proxies of the two newly revealed Spirits (Finder of the Hidden Paths and Many Minds Move as One). 

I've posted Finder of the Hidden Paths today -- the board (front and back) and the cards (front only; back still to come).  The link is below, but there's one problem/issue -- I couldn't see any write up on how the "Isolate" mechanic works, which will make playing Finder a little limited.  Any playtesters/others out there who could share the details on "Isolate"?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kT1HZ7miIV8wUEpZxC8pdA0RthI9N6j5

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

robb8888 wrote:

Any playtesters/others out there who could share the details on "Isolate"?

Not without getting into trouble... :-\ 

But the reviewers probably have that information. Folks could contact them and ask... :-) 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Soooo...how's the group buy gonna work this time? Haven't pledged yet since I can't remember how we did it last time :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Ameena wrote:

Soooo...how's the group buy gonna work this time? Haven't pledged yet since I can't remember how we did it last time :D.

I'm not personally going to host a UK group buy this time, even if there is an option to do so. The reason being that the shipping cost is only $15 which is about £12. Given that Collect Plus are charging £6.29 for up to 5Kg and will probably be higher in eighteen months time I don't see any appreciable saving to be made by grouping purchases. You might save a quid or even two but I doubt it's worth the effort. Paul Watson might want to try arranging a collect-in-person arrangement for Sentinel Days but I'm happy just to go direct this time and not have the hassle of all those trips to the post office.

I've got to say though that the lack of freebies is damaging my value perception this time. I've never had a problem with full MSRP and high shipping on GTG Kickstarters because the free stuff you get has always been more than worth it and group buys enabled us to turn them into very attractive deals. This time there isn't much outside of the box and I think it'll be the first time it's been financially detrimental to back the KS rather than wait for retail. I'm still going to back because I want to guarantee a copy and boy do I love this game, but I can't find a suitable retort this time around to the people complaining about value.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

And, also, I still haven't had any response or follow up to our Oblivaeon group buy not having shipped and I just don't want to have this responsibility hanging over me again. Even Spiral have no idea where the items are other than somewhere "on the water". Man I love GTG and what they do but clarity and repsonse time on communication is a constant trial.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

robb8888 wrote:

I've posted Finder of the Hidden Paths today -- the board (front and back) and the cards (front only; back still to come).  The link is below, but there's one problem/issue -- I couldn't see any write up on how the "Isolate" mechanic works, which will make playing Finder a little limited.  Any playtesters/others out there who could share the details on "Isolate"?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kT1HZ7miIV8wUEpZxC8pdA0RthI9N6j5

I'm fine with sharing this.  

Isolate is a new concept that some of the Jagged Earth powers and a few spirits (like Finder) utilize.

Essentially, it seals off a land and make it inaccessible.  Here are the pertinent bits:

1. Invaders skip all explore actions in Isolated lands (they do not explore into them, and they are not a source of explorers)

2. For invader pieces, Isolated lands are not considered adjacent to anything... unless you want them to be. So they can't be gathered/pushed unless you allow it. 

3. Sorry, but Isolate doesn't prevent blight from cascading. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Mezike wrote:

I've got to say though that the lack of freebies is damaging my value perception this time. I've never had a problem with full MSRP and high shipping on GTG Kickstarters because the free stuff you get has always been more than worth it and group buys enabled us to turn them into very attractive deals. This time there isn't much outside of the box and I think it'll be the first time it's been financially detrimental to back the KS rather than wait for retail. I'm still going to back because I want to guarantee a copy and boy do I love this game, but I can't find a suitable retort this time around to the people complaining about value.

Full MSRP is likely going to be $79.95 like it is for the core set and the promo pack for this set bought afterwards will at least be $10.   Not including anything about shipping but you’re paying $59 for $90+ worth of content.   Add on that with the rate of sales of the main game this guarantees you a copy of the expansion and promos when it’s released.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Ameena,

I’ve already included you in the group buy. If you want addons, let me know.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I don't plan on pledging to this particular KS campaign, but I wish you guys best of luck.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh cool, thanks PWatson :). So does that mean you pledged and I give you the money or do I need to pledge and put a note saying you're paying shipping? I feel like I've done both on different Kickstarters in the past (and the last one would've been Oblivaeon so that was ages ago and I can't remember how that one worked ;)). I'd like to get the token tray thing as well...was tempted by the wooden tokens but some of them I wouldn't be using and it would push the price total up pretty high, so I'll skip those.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I’m sorting it. You just need to give me the money at a meetup.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Pages