The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Defend Rule Interpretation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
robb8888
Defend Rule Interpretation

How does the Defend mechanic work when you have multiple instances of damage in a given turn?

1. For example, if you play a "Defend 4" fast power on a land, then an Event is triggered which does 2 damage, does that leave only 2 "points" of defense for the Ravage phase, or is it at the full 4?  

2.  Does this matter if the Event *only* damages the Dahan?  Take the same "Defend 4" example from above.  If an Event does 2 points of damage to the Dahan only, and the rules consider 2 points of defense to be "used" defending the Dahan, does that leave the full 4 points of defense available for the land during the Ravage phase?  Is it 2 for any remaining Dahan and 4 for the land?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Defense is never used up, it lasts for the whole round. So you're defending 4 for each relevant hit.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Also, Defend reduces damage dealt by Invaders, it does not reduce damage dealt to the land/Dahan by Events unless specifically stated otherwise. So the Disease event that deals 2 damage to Dahan bypasses Defend.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh, was going to say what Bunston just said but he/she just said it :D. There is only one Event whose Damage is prevented by Defend, I believe, and that's the War one, in which case is specifically says "Defend reduces this Damage" in the text. Otherwise yeah,it's as above - Damage from Events is being dealt by the Event, not by Invaders, so Defend does nothing. And Defend is a "permanent" stack that lasts till the end of the turn (so, not really "permanent" but you know what I mean ;)), regardless of anything else that happens - once some Defend is on a Land, it can't be decreased by any means until it all goes away during Time Passes.

Well, so far it can't - hopefully the new expansion won't bring in new Events or Invader thingys that can let them lower our defences...but I think that would be really mean so hopefully they won't do that :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:
There is only one Event whose Damage is prevented by Defend, I believe, and that's the War one, in which case is specifically says "Defend reduces this Damage" in the text.
I took a quick look, and I think you're right. Reprisal Against the Dahan would be affected, except the card explicitly says Defend doesn't help.

Ameena wrote:
Well, so far it can't - hopefully the new expansion won't bring in new Events or Invader thingys that can let them lower our defences...but I think that would be really mean so hopefully they won't do that :P.
Reducing Defend isn't a great effect for an Event, since it's so situational. Usually it's better to just boost the Invader's damage.