The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Post Oblivaeon Spoilers Here Only!

288 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hankroyd

There is so much awesome and powerful cards.

It's great for the hero decks ... a little less for the villain decks. :)

One card was the target of my attention because how ridiculously powerful and weird it seems to me.

La Comodora's Rudder in the Timestream

At the beginning of your turn, either discard a card or destroy this card.

Power: Move 1 card from a trash to the bottom of that card's deck, then move 1 card from a different trash to the bottom of that card's deck.

So basically, you can spam the villain deck with hero cards and then using shuffle or deck manipulation force the villain to play cards for heroes.

La Comodora + The SW Sentinels (For Writhe's power) + Dark Argent Adept (to fill the villain trash) could be a big problem for any villain.

La Comodora can make Rook City a good place to live ... Or she could take the Chairman's underlings to feed them in heroes deck... and that's just the beginning of my ideas for this card.

So much possibility, so much potential ... Thanks for this card, Christopher ! I need to find a way to abuse it so I can use it on OblivAeon AND the scion decks !

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That card would not put hero cards into the villain deck. The cards only go to the bottom of deck it belongs to.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Hankroyd

Noooooooooooo ...

Why do you break my dream ?? What kind of monster are you ? OblivAeon is a good guy compared to you !!! You didn't shatter the multiverse, but you did shatter my heart.

OK ... the "that card's deck" confused me a little ... I thought it meant "the deck of the first card". Well, I guess I will have to turn on Akash'thrya to put my cards where they don't belong ...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

The prints are for Akash’Flora, Impending Doom and Devastating Aurora.

The box weighs 12lbs (around 5kg) when empty. Have not filled it yet. So, yes, it is a beast of a thing.

EDIT: Filled weight is 34 lbs (15kg). And it fits everything with premium sleeves, but you have to be a bit creative about where to put some content (I placed all the OblivAeon cards and tokens in their own slot in the token drawyer.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

pwatson1974 wrote:

The prints are for Akash’Flora, Impending Doom and Devastating Aurora. 

Thanks!

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Some questions about Faultless:

1. When Faultless flips is that counted as a Scion being removed from the game?

2. In Oblivaeon's first form, if/when does he replace Faultless?

3. Does Faultless allow us to remove inevitable destruction counters for it's removal from the game, if so when?

FearLord

bluedarky wrote:

Some questions about Faultless:1. When Faultless flips is that counted as a Scion being removed from the game?2. In Oblivaeon's first form, if/when does he replace Faultless?3. Does Faultless allow us to remove inevitable destruction counters for it's removal from the game, if so when? 

I would say that when a Scion no longer counts as a Scion, a Scion ‘has been removed from the game’, which means flipping Faultless should count as a Scion being removed for all purposes.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

bluedarky wrote:
Some questions about Faultless:1. When Faultless flips is that counted as a Scion being removed from the game?

In playtesting the wording was brought up, there was no official rule handed down to us.

But I played as not, just like when The Operative (from the Chairman's deck) is "destroyed" by e.g. Sucker Punch, the wording on the character card overrides the general rules and she is not destroyed, she flips instead.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

FearLord

Matchstickman wrote:

bluedarky wrote:
Some questions about Faultless:1. When Faultless flips is that counted as a Scion being removed from the game?

In playtesting the wording was brought up, there was no official rule handed down to us.But I played as not, just like when The Operative (from the Chairman's deck) is "destroyed" by e.g. Sucker Punch, the wording on the character card overrides the general rules and she is not destroyed, she flips instead.

Surely that’s exactly why the Scion rules refer to ‘removing from play’ rather than being ‘destroyed’ though?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Right.

And did you remove any card from play, whether Scion or not? No. So no remove from play or on destruction text triggers.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

And is the Scion that waas in play now in play? No. Faultless' flip side isn't a Scion so there is now 1 fewer Scion in play. If it wasn't removed, where is it?

Also, Completionist Guise has a different comic cover and flip side speech depending on whether he's Foil, regular (from the variant collection) or from Super-Ultra Mega-Rare from the box itself. Nothing else seems different between the cards.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

pwatson1974 wrote:
And is the Scion that waas in play now in play? No. Faultless' flip side isn't a Scion so there is now 1 fewer Scion in play. If it wasn't removed, where is it?

Isn't "Removed from play" a gameplay term, and not a colloquial usage? Like "Destroy" or "Reveal"?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

pwatson1974 wrote:

In play but no longer a Scion (i.e., changed). smiley

Matchstickman wrote:
pwatson1974 wrote:

Isn't "Removed from play" a gameplay term, and not a colloquial usage? Like "Destroy" or "Reveal"?

Yep! 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

The Girl With N...

I would be much more able to contribute to this discussion if I had actually seen any cards. As it is now, I'm just desperately waiting for the darn thing to hit store shelves and being too impatient to avoid spoilers. 

I do have a few questions for those lucky enough to have their hands on OblivAeon:

How does the Scion Deck work? Is it like Nemeses, where the cards have an extra effect depending on if certain Scions are in play?

How long from the start of the game is it before OblivAeon actually loses any significant health? 10,000 is a bucketload, and besides that, he apparently starts immune to damage. 

Are the new heroes balanced for non-OblivAeon games? I understand if they're super good to stand a chance against the end of everything, but are they able to be used against normal villains without making the fight boring?

FearLord

Rabit wrote:

pwatson1974 wrote:

In play but no longer a Scion (i.e., changed). smiley

Matchstickman wrote:
pwatson1974 wrote:

Yep! 

Removed from play doesn’t seem to have its own Glossary entry, but ‘play’ does, which includes both playing a card and that card either remaining in ‘play’ or leaving play - I would definitely argue that if a Scion changes to no longer be a Scion then a Scion Card was in play and then it wasn’t in play... however, as I only play the digital version, I guess I’ll go with whatever that uses for this!

This only really affects Faultless and Voss I think, but I think this would give a pretty huge bonus for taking down Faultless in the first stage of OblivAeon- if he doesn’t get replaced then that’s a pretty big advantage!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

The Girl With No Name wrote:

I would be much more able to contribute to this discussion if I had actually seen any cards. As it is now, I'm just desperately waiting for the darn thing to hit store shelves and being too impatient to avoid spoilers. I do have a few questions for those lucky enough to have their hands on OblivAeon:How does the Scion Deck work? Is it like Nemeses, where the cards have an extra effect depending on if certain Scions are in play?How long from the start of the game is it before OblivAeon actually loses any significant health? 10,000 is a bucketload, and besides that, he apparently starts immune to damage. Are the new heroes balanced for non-OblivAeon games? I understand if they're super good to stand a chance against the end of everything, but are they able to be used against normal villains without making the fight boring?

Scions do not work like Vengeance nemeses. They work more like Vengeance vilains, higher HP and are nasty regardless, but extra damage to nemeses.

OblivAeon starts taking damage once the shield card flips. However, he doesn’t start taking significant damage until he’s on h8s sec9nd and thord ‘sides’. 10000 is a bucketload, but you don’t have to clear all of it to win.

The new heroes are similar in power to others. They may seem to do more, but in the end actually contribute similar amounts to regular heroes. That said, they may tend towards the stronger side than the weaker one.

The Girl With N...

pwatson1974 wrote:

The Girl With No Name wrote:
I would be much more able to contribute to this discussion if I had actually seen any cards. As it is now, I'm just desperately waiting for the darn thing to hit store shelves and being too impatient to avoid spoilers. I do have a few questions for those lucky enough to have their hands on OblivAeon:How does the Scion Deck work? Is it like Nemeses, where the cards have an extra effect depending on if certain Scions are in play?How long from the start of the game is it before OblivAeon actually loses any significant health? 10,000 is a bucketload, and besides that, he apparently starts immune to damage. Are the new heroes balanced for non-OblivAeon games? I understand if they're super good to stand a chance against the end of everything, but are they able to be used against normal villains without making the fight boring?

Scions do not work like Vengeance nemeses. They work more like Vengeance vilains, higher HP and are nasty regardless, but extra damage to nemeses.OblivAeon starts taking damage once the shield card flips. However, he doesn’t start taking significant damage until he’s on h8s sec9nd and thord ‘sides’. 10000 is a bucketload, but you don’t have to clear all of it to win.The new heroes are similar in power to others. They may seem to do more, but in the end actually contribute similar amounts to regular heroes. That said, they may tend towards the stronger side than the weaker one. 

Thanks for the explanations! I knew the Scions were Vengeance-style, though. I meant with the cards in the Scion Deck (since as far as I know they all share a deck). Is it like, "1 Scion deals each hero target 2 damage, and increase it by 2 if Dark Mind deals this damage"?

Powerhound_2000

It is a shared Scion deck but there are no bonuses on the cards played if it’s a certain Scion.   Scion Panels may have something that does increase their damage dealt though.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Girl With N...

Thanks, all! My questions have been answered. Back to lurking!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

According to the art, some cards represent acrtions by different Scions, but this has no effect in play.

As Powerhound said, they're not like the Sentinels with each card having varying effects depending on who's around. They're just horrible to and for everyone.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

Spoilery questionDoes anyone know why La Comodora is interested in the first human Flight? I have a huge backlog of The Letters Page to listen to (the last 20 or so episodes), is it mentioned in any of them?

Super belated, but after some of us got to look at the art, I realized it's the wrong year being referenced to be the first human flight, and one of the RoD folks further dug up that she's interested in when Pike Industries first started becoming corrupt.

Aside: A bit sad there isn't prints for Orchestrate the Void or Form the Mecha-Knight, I'd go for either.

Also I think Idealist is a good contender for Flavor MVP between her deck and her OA stuff.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

On the subject of Missions: I know we have several that, story-wise, really seem to focus on one character or another (Arataki for Haka, or the Hairdryer for Wraith, for example) - do we have any that are built for Legacy, Tachyon, or Luminary? The first two are a couple of my favourite characters (and I already know what we're getting for Fanatic :P ) and I'm very excited for the third, so I'd love it if there were extra story stuff around them.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Not strictly an OblivAeon spoiler but it's from the vriant pack:

Nice quintych of the X-Treme Prime Wardens

Powerhound_2000

liarliar wrote:

On the subject of Missions: I know we have several that, story-wise, really seem to focus on one character or another (Arataki for Haka, or the Hairdryer for Wraith, for example) - do we have any that are built for Legacy, Tachyon, or Luminary? The first two are a couple of my favourite characters (and I already know what we're getting for Fanatic :P ) and I'm very excited for the third, so I'd love it if there were extra story stuff around them.

None are Luminary specific.  Tachyon has only one I recall directly involving her with the OblivAeon shard.   Legacy doesn’t have any that directly involve him but a few rewards are versions of him from another universe.  

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Ooh, cool! I remember Lucky Break (or whatever Setback!legacy’s name was) but I’ll look forward to seeing the others!

FearLord

liarliar wrote:

Ooh, cool! I remember Lucky Break (or whatever Setback!legacy’s name was) but I’ll look forward to seeing the others!

Lucky Strike

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

FearLord wrote:
liarliar wrote:

Lucky Strike

Actually, it is Lucky Break for the OA Setback; Lucky Strike was the Quando? Ahora! Setback.

The other Legacy-equivalents are El Mejor Legado and maybe Everyman?

Aside: To possibly go with El Mejor Legado, there is one card in the OblivAeon deck "Unbracing Smite" which interests me because it has what looks to be more human versions of Medico and Writhe, with flavor text from "El Curador" in the "Centinelas".

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

In somewhat related news, I received my tracking number for Oblivaeon last night.

It's currently at the FedEx facility in Vandalia, about 10 minutes from my house, awaiting delivery on Monday.

Excitement intensifies!

(Edit--For reference, I was backer number #462.)

Ironic Fist

Can someone clarify what the final paragraph of Oblivaeon's "The Abyss Stares Back" card means for me please? I'm finding the wording choice a little odd.

If this card is ever revealed or discarded, put this card into play, then move Oblivaeon and all heroes to the other battle zone.

What's confusing me is whether the paragraph is activated if the card is played from the top of the deck under normal circumstances; this seems like it counts as being "revealed", but then the "put this card into play" part of the text seems to suggest that it doesn't. My gaming group was split on whether to move Oblivaeon and the heroes or not, so a rule clarification would be helpful. Thanks!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It sounds like a way for the card to enter play no matter what - if it gets played normally, it's fine. If it gets revealed or discarded it enters play anyway, and then everyone runs away from it. Since both "reveal" and "discard" are official game-terms then yeah, what I mean is that you only move everyone if it would've been either of those things, not if it just gets played/put into play normally.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ironic Fist wrote:

Can someone clarify what the final paragraph of Oblivaeon's "The Abyss Stares Back" card means for me please? I'm finding the wording choice a little odd.If this card is ever revealed or discarded, put this card into play, then move Oblivaeon and all heroes to the other battle zone.What's confusing me is whether the paragraph is activated if the card is played from the top of the deck under normal circumstances; this seems like it counts as being "revealed", but then the "put this card into play" part of the text seems to suggest that it doesn't. My gaming group was split on whether to move Oblivaeon and the heroes or not, so a rule clarification would be helpful. Thanks!

"Revealed" has game meaning. When something says to Reveal a card from the deck and this is that card, this text triggers. Playing a card from the deck does not Reveal the card in a game context (even if it does from a colloquially). 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Ironic Fist

Rabit wrote:

Ironic Fist wrote:
Can someone clarify what the final paragraph of Oblivaeon's "The Abyss Stares Back" card means for me please? I'm finding the wording choice a little odd.If this card is ever revealed or discarded, put this card into play, then move Oblivaeon and all heroes to the other battle zone.What's confusing me is whether the paragraph is activated if the card is played from the top of the deck under normal circumstances; this seems like it counts as being "revealed", but then the "put this card into play" part of the text seems to suggest that it doesn't. My gaming group was split on whether to move Oblivaeon and the heroes or not, so a rule clarification would be helpful. Thanks!

"Revealed" has game meaning. When something says to Reveal a card from the deck and this is that card, this text triggers. Playing a card from the deck does not Reveal the card in a game context (even if it does from a colloquially). 

Thanks, that's perfect. I did check the glossary but I didn't see an entry for "Revealed", hence the confusion.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I want to let people know that I received a FedEx tracking number. My scheduled deliver date is 8/3. I am East Coast US who ordered basically everything included the collectors case. I was backer number 2444 for reference. 

Axtral

I received mine the other day. We played today.

Akash'Thriya, Santa Guise, Temi-Nation Unity, and The Adamant Sentinels. In the third form, the first three died at once and were replaced by Tachyon, La Comodora, and Redeemer Fanatic. We beat him not long after. This was our first game, but it did take almost five hours.

We got really lucky and flipped his invulnerable card after the first round thanks to Akash'Thriya starting with Accelerate Nature's Order in hand.

The missions are great, though if you manage to complete a few, your characters can start to get a lot to do on their turn (think Omnitron-X when he has everything out. Not quite as bad as a fully set-up Argent Adept though).

We got quite lucky several times, but found OblivAeon a little easy until the third form. We had Nixious and Sanction as the starting Scions, and got out Dark Mind and Voidsoul in the second and third forms respectively.

It can be difficult to keep track of the different combat zones.

But overall it was a lot of fun. We all really enjoyed it. :)

fuzzy_dunlop

After, I think, a little over five years of lurking on these here forums, I just had to create an account to give a solid thumbs up to the collectors box.

WHAT A PIECE OF BEAUTY!!

It looks so stylish and amazing. It is functional and sturdy (though a chore to carry around).
I'm thinking of putting it on permanent display in the living room.

oh beautiful box
your geeky content contained
within your drawers

the content is also nice...

Oh well, enough daylight for me, back to the shadows.

Powerhound_2000

Has anyone who has gotten their shipments get the Villain Foil Pack?   It should have alternate art for the Scions and Team Villains.   The standalone villains would have the same art as the current Villain Oversized Pack. 

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

I could be very wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Scions/OblivAeon booklet use the same art as in the expansion, just foiled up.

Vengeance villains did have new art, though.

Powerhound_2000

That’s a bit disappointing if the Scions and OblivAeon booklet all have the same art.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad to have you here, fuzzy_dunlop! Welcome! laugh

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Same art as the previous oversized cards, just foiled up. OblivAeon arts are the same. This is what we were told would be the case during the Kickstarter.

Powerhound_2000

I’m not finding any update that says the Scions wouldn’t have new art but regardless you’ve confirmed what I wanted to know.  

PlatinumWarlock

Took 3 hours, but i just got everything transferred into the new box.

... and damn, is it heavy! I'm going to have to find some really stable shelf space for this!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I recommend the floor. The case is 35 lbs when full.

PlatinumWarlock

It's increasingly looking like we're going to donate my wife's old stereo/boom box (which she's had since high school and currently gathers dust in our game room), and have OblivAeon take its spot.  They're about the same size, all told...

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

pwatson1974 wrote:

I recommend the floor. The case is 35 lbs when full.

Ours is living on the floor in our spare bedroom for now, so I fully endorse this statement.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Has anyone found the Cthulhu in the art yet?

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

Has anyone found the Cthulhu in the art yet?

"The" Cthulhu? Void Guard and the OblivAeon decks have more tentacles than a calamari buffet.

Especially Nixious, who should ideally be nuked from orbit. :P

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I just got done unboxing everything. Holy cow the collector case is everything I wanted it to be. Time will tell how durable the front flap will be, but it’s such a great thing to have to roundout my collection. Just need to hunt down an original Young Legacy and an original Redeemer Fanatic!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Since I finished typing everything up, some of my favorite flavor texts from the various cards:
-----
"Go, rat person. You have your freedom. Hide from the world and find yourself." - Akash'Thriya, Freedom Five #706
-----
The distinctive >THAPP< of a suction-cup striking a smooth surface was followed by a hushed silence as Mr. Fixer reached up to peel the dart off his forehead.
-----
"Heeeyyyyy batter batter hee--" Guise stopped jeering abruptly as a gun barrel pressed against his back. Expatriette growled, "Shut up. You're supposed to be on our team."
-----
"The count of reality is entirely subject to observation. Which can be twisted." - The Harpy, Freedom Five #759
-----
"This portal is not for you. You may be right about the chaos inside me, but it is my chaos!" - The Harpy, Tome of the Bizarre #81
-----
"Look at 'em! Buncha little cuties. They just want to cuddle. With spikes! Spikey cuddles!" - The Idealist, Void Guard #1
-----
"Must you make sound effects every time it hits something? Is that a necessary part of the process?" - Writhe, Freedom Five Annual #30
-----
"I appreciate your exuberance. Truly, I do. But must both of you make sound effects?" - Captain Cosmic, Void Guard #17
-----
"I learned a valuable lesson from you. There will always be someone to punch my inventions." - Luminary, Burying The Blade #7
-----
"I still do not see why we are not pulling the moon into it! It would have worked!" - Luminary, Burying The Blade #9
-----
The Argent Adept's hands shook too much to strum. "We m-m-must leave this chamber," the musician said as Haka's head broke the surface of the icy water. "Haha! Bracing!"
-----
"No, brother. Not this time. You can save us all. I can just save you." - Infinitor, Prime Wardens #66
-----
"Immortal cosmic being hell-bent on destruction? Good thing I've got my hair dryer." - The Wraith, Freedom Five #800
-----
"Another splendid battle! Are we recording this? We should be recording this. Great promo." - Kaargra Warfang, Prime Wardens #65
-----
"Just like father always imagined!" Luminary gestured proudly at the huge, spider-like walking weapon as it turned to aim at the heroes. "Ah, yes, you might want to run."
-----
An explosion rocked the mountain, flinging flaming stones and molten rock across the island for miles. "You have called, little minstrel, and the mountain has answered!"
-----
"No more music," breathed the voidform, stretching out its translucent arms. The Argent Adept opened his mouth to reply, but no sound came forth. All was utterly silent.
-----
"Shhh, no more yelling. The darkness is a place of quiet. And stillness." - Writhe, Void Guard #8

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Well, Mordengrad and the Nexus both sound like they have great plot stuff going on! Also: Infinitor :,(

Pages