The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Post Oblivaeon Spoilers Here Only!

288 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bluedarky wrote:

Hold on, I'll do some counts.

A couple questions about the counts:

• I don't see Sky-Scraper Extremist, Omnitron-U, or Parse Fugue State in your list. Were they not included? That would be five additional cards
  • You list 69 cards in the complete hero variant pack. My expectation was that there would be 67. Which ones am I missing?

(4) Young Legacy, Rook City Wraith, Beard Ra, Redeemer Fanatic

(8) Dark Visionary, Eternal Haka, Freedom 6

(4) Dark Watch

(2) GI Legacy, GI Bunker

(1) Super Scientific Tachyon

(1) Alternate Argent Adept (not Kvothe)

(6) Prime Wardens and KNYFE Rogue Agent

(4) Termination AZ/Bunker/Unity and Santa Guise

(7) Scholar of the Infinite, Hunted Naturalist, Chrono-Ranger: Best of Times, Sentinels: Hero Project

(30) OblivAeon Kickstarter promos, including Completionist Guise

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

liarliar
liarliar's picture

So I think the really big burning question right now is...

has anybody beaten Oblivaeon yet?

(I mean, since it came out. Obviously playtesters have...you know what I mean)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

liarliar wrote:

So I think the really big burning question right now is...has anybody beaten Oblivaeon yet? (I mean, since it came out. Obviously playtesters have...you know what I mean)

for the record, I don’t recall ever actually winning a game during play testing. 

Hankroyd

It was at that moment that Christopher though to ask a question to the playtester.

"OK, could everyone who beat the game at least once raise their hand?"

And nobody moved.

"Hmmmm ... I guess we may have a little balance problem here ... I knew I should have asked that BEFORE the printing!"

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Just in case anyone was still wondering if it all fitted in the Collectors Case, here's everything except the non-foil character cards and the foil villains.

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/6210/dXiAIN.jpg

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

That is a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing! It help put my mind at ease.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

That's also sleeved with Ultra Pro premium clear sleeves, unsleeved or with penny sleeves there'd be a lot more room in there.

Comrade Bubbles

Oh, I sleeve. The people I play with can be... unkind to cards. So my main concern was fitting them all in with Ultra Pros.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ah! So the Collector's case does fit all the cards if they are sleeved, phew! I didn't see anyone asking that question during the kickstarter so I was a little worried...

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Comrade Bubbles

There's a difference between knowing something theoretically and having physical proof. The latter, for example, always helps more with my anxiety problems.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Ah! So the Collector's case does fit all the cards if they are sleeved, phew! I didn't see anyone asking that question during the kickstarter so I was a little worried...

I saw that question get asked a bunch of times.
bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Blackfang108 wrote:

Matchstickman wrote:

I saw that question get asked a bunch of times.

i believe Matchstickman was a little sarcastic, but either way there were people towards the end who were panicking that the measurements wouldn’t fit sleeved cards.

FearLord

This spoiler thread needs more spoilers! 

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

I am a playtester. AMA. cool (I'm waiting for my box to arrive to make any major comments.)

Re: Box. Anyone without sleeves can confirm how much space the hero decks take up? Obviously it fits sleeves, but what I'm hoping for is all the heroes will fit in one of the drawers, so I can save the other one for Cauldron/Earth Prime/other custom content. Looks like it should work, but not entirely sure.

carnilius
Playtester

I'm super curious how the OblivAeon character booklet came out, physically speaking.  Does it stay open to the desired page without external weight?  How sturdy is it?  How is it bound?

liarliar
liarliar's picture

bobbertoriley wrote:

I am a playtester. AMA. cool

What do I have to do to complete that one mission and get myself the sweet giant robot dinosaur?

carnilius
Playtester

liarliar wrote:

bobbertoriley wrote:

What do I have to do to complete that one mission and get myself the sweet giant robot dinosaur?

Go to this page and purchase ;-)  https://store.greaterthangames.com/mr-chomps.html

Blackfang108
Playtester

I feel like I need to get 2 of those.

One for me and one for my nephew.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

carnilius wrote:

liarliar wrote:
 bobbertoriley wrote:

Go to this page and purchase ;-)  https://store.greaterthangames.com/mr-chomps.html

Better answer than the one I could've given. ;-)

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Dammit, I just knew I was going to get a clever answer...

More broadly, if you had to narrow it down to any one villain, which villain is the Oblivaeon scenario most similar to? Given all the missions and such, I was sort of thinking it might feel a bit Kaargra-y, is that about right?

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Building the King have to discard H+? equipment cards.

I had a 50/50 win rate on OA before we could use all the hero variants. Then always won but some game had to be called but to time. (was each player only pick 2 at one point)

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

liarliar wrote:

Dammit, I just knew I was going to get a clever answer...More broadly, if you had to narrow it down to any one villain, which villain is the Oblivaeon scenario most similar to? Given all the missions and such, I was sort of thinking it might feel a bit Kaargra-y, is that about right?

It...

Uh... 

I...

Well...

Nope. I got nothing. 

Seriously, it's not like anything we've had to date. 

As a playtester, my only thought is that Deadline takes away pieces of the environment. If you don't manage OblivAeon appropriately, it takes away the entire environment deck in one blow. And if it does that enough, you lose. It's not really comparable. It's far worse, far larger, and far scarier. 

Missions aren't like Titles. They are far more interesting, diverse, and entertaining. Not that Titles aren't entertaining -- the Missions are just even better!!! Titles are just minor modifications to a character. Missions are allies, super-powerful devices, or other insanely fun/hilarious things. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

watch_the_birdie

bobbertoriley wrote:

Re: Box. Anyone without sleeves can confirm how much space the hero decks take up? Obviously it fits sleeves, but what I'm hoping for is all the heroes will fit in one of the drawers, so I can save the other one for Cauldron/Earth Prime/other custom content. Looks like it should work, but not entirely sure.

sadly all the heroes dont fit in one draw un sleeved, but then there are a few of them now wink.

but there is lots of space, as you can see left hand draw is almost empty (back 2 are the old dividers), and you can see where ive used the foam to hold the cards forward.

Attachment(s): 
watch_the_birdie

whoops forgot a tray, so thats a yes you can fit the foil boxes in if you dont mind losing a little space. as for the redacted item on the top i'll pull out stuff and give it a proper picture tomorrow when its not 4am lol.

Ironic Fist

carnilius wrote:

I'm super curious how the OblivAeon character booklet came out, physically speaking.  Does it stay open to the desired page without external weight?  How sturdy is it?  How is it bound?

It doesn't stay completely flat, especially open to the center pages, but it's not going to shut itself mid-game either - I expect once the spine gets broken in it'll be a little easier to get almost completely flat. It's two pieces of glossy paper stapled together to make an eight-page booklet (including front and back cover.) It's the same studiness as any of the rule books.

Two things that I don't think have been mentioned is that you get a foil version of it in the foil villain collection, and that there's an Oblivaeon cardboard stand-up that moves around the board to show what zone he's in. It's a nice little touch.

Comrade Bubbles

Something that surprises me after my first quick glance through everything is the number of Scions vs. methods of getting Scions into play.

Ironic Fist

liarliar wrote:

So I think the really big burning question right now is...has anybody beaten Oblivaeon yet? (I mean, since it came out. Obviously playtesters have...you know what I mean)

That's a resounding "no" from me. If anyone who has gotten a win has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I'd also be very interested to hear what sort of game lengths others are getting. I think the box said 60-90 minutes was the estimated length, but I'm a pretty quick player and I'm going massively over that.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

Something that surprises me after my first quick glance through everything is the number of Scions vs. methods of getting Scions into play.

You're not meant to see most scions in a game, this adds to the replayability.
TheSoundOfTrees

Had my first test game today. Probably full of mistakes, I think i forgot a scion turn and a few effects. Epic.

Mr Fixer + Apex of Humanity and a bloodstone?  Cool.

Add the virtusos of the void and a jack handle for maximum epicness.

But :

Stuntman with an hairdryer ? PURE. AWESOMENESS.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Comrade Bubbles

dpt wrote:

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

You're not meant to see most scions in a game, this adds to the replayability.

I figured this was the case, I just had a different understanding of the scenario in my head. Thanks for clarifying though!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ironic Fist wrote:

I'd also be very interested to hear what sort of game lengths others are getting. I think the box said 60-90 minutes was the estimated length, but I'm a pretty quick player and I'm going massively over that.

I have been involved in only a small number of OblivAeon games. I think 60-90 minutes is wildly optimistic. I think it would take a concerted effort by expert players to finish in 90 minutes. If I were planning to play, I'd schedule at least three hours.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Very exciting seeing all the filled Ultimate Collector's Cases! I'm a Cauldron fan and intend to put all of it alongside official material in this big box. This also means that I'll use the old dividers (since Cauldron uses the same format as those old dividers and for consistency). Anyone still using the old dividers? I get the feeling that the new dividers are significantly thicker. Also, anyone else intending to store Cauldron in this box?

MrLeRobot...

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

That's my plan, and probably will finally mix/match them together, rather than using my RC/IR box to hold all of Cauldron and other custom stuff. Also planning to do the same as you and use the older dividers; not a big fan of the new divider design.

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Can someone please explain Swift Summoning to me ? , I'm not sure what exactly it is saying 

Sapienta potentia est

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

padcurtin wrote:

Can someone please explain Swift Summoning to me ? , I'm not sure what exactly it is saying 

It will make more sense after you read applied numerology.

Basically if you don't have applied numerology in play:
You reveal the top card of a deck and play it. If it was a one shot you flip a [magic] token.

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Just thought about something: Do the old dividers fit in the Collector Case's drawers!? I remember that, according to one of the earlier measurements in a KS update that the current dividers were a tad too big to fit in the case. Has anyone tried to fit the old dividers into the drawers?

MrLeRobot...

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Dandolo wrote:

padcurtin wrote:

It will make more sense after you read applied numerology.

Basically if you don't have applied numerology in play:
You reveal the top card of a deck and play it. If it was a one shot you flip a [magic] token.

Thanks, I had read Applied Numerology , but  misunderstood it to be saying that it increased Harpys defended you used a power

Sapienta potentia est

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

MrLeRobot wrote:

Just thought about something: Do the old dividers fit in the Collector Case's drawers!? I remember that, according to one of the earlier measurements in a KS update that the current dividers were a tad too big to fit in the case. Has anyone tried to fit the old dividers into the drawers?

The old dividers should fit easily.

Comrade Bubbles

I can confirm the old dividers fit. I misplaced some of the new ones and made do for about 5 minutes.

Ironic Fist

MrLeRobot wrote:

Anyone still using the old dividers? I get the feeling that the new dividers are significantly thicker.

They're much thicker. I love the new design: unlike the old ones, they have a tab at the top, so if you alternate which side you have the tab on it makes searching (particularly the much smaller Environment decks) easier as you can always see the text, unlike the old ones where sometimes they could obscure each other.

I can't say enough good things about the collector's case, it's an excellent piece of design work.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm planning on sticking the Cauldron in the mega-box, though I'm not sure how to split them up considering they don't have dividers...but maybe I can repurpose some of the old ones I'll have spare if I use these new ones I see mentioned for the official decks. I'll figure it out when I get there, I suppose ;).

Regarding Oblivaeon play-times...well, the first game I played it took about four hours but that was much earlier in playtesting so many tweaks and changes were made between that game and the next one I played. I think I played it twice more, both games lasting around two hours (can't remember how many players we had for any of these), and we won all of them. First game I think players were limited to just two heroes each (swapping to the second if the first was incapped) and I started as the Idealist, got wiped out in the first couple of turns, and spent the rest of the game as Haka (all heroes rolled randomly) and ended up eating the entire Aeon Men deck, which probably contributed somewhat to our success ;). The next two games I started as Omni-10 and Writhe, respectively, and in both was insta-killed in the first turn by some card of Oblivaeon's along the lines of "Destroy the hero target with the lowest hp". So I just switched to the promo version of the hero I was playing, shuffled my trash into my deck, drew a new hand, and continued :P.

Love the Mission/Reward cards - they make you feel so OP. In the game where I was Omni-10 I ended up with someone having the "buff all Hero damage" Reward (or possibly they pick a hero and only buff the damage of stuff in that hero's play area), something that made all my Equipment into targets that automatically dealt damage at the end(?) of my turn, and Chomposaurus Rex. And of course I was well set up with my own stuff. So I was dishing out an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage every turn even aside from my normal abilities :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

New thought: Akash'Flora is going to be just hilarious on a team with Ra. Make all Hero damage Fire, make her immune to fire, let the heroes all rock out every turn while the tree just keeps growing.

(Other possibilities: Fanatic could Chastise the tree for as long as she can keep pumping out damage, with some DR in play you could make heavy use of Smoke Bombs or the Stealth Bot, or you could try to get some good Naturalist loops going with the Rhino to keep redirecting damage to him - this would require some pretty substantial card draw, but he can do that!)

liarliar
liarliar's picture

So what does Akash-Flora do, exactly? I guess it has...something to do with friendly fire damage?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

From what I remember, it starts at something like 5hp but has no maximum - at some point (start or end of turn, probably, I forget) it heals all hero targets for...I think 1hp, maybw two, can't remember now. But it can take damage (it's either hitting itself or Akash'Thriya is doing it) to allow a hero to use a power. Can't remember if it's an "If this takes damage this way..." situation that would prevent stuff like the aforementioned damage immunity situations, though.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

TheSoundOfTrees

Akash'Flora has 3 HP, but can go over that - it has no max HP. At the start of akash 's turn, each hero can use a power, but the tree deals itself 2 damage each time it happens.

At the end of turn, the tree heals itself for 2 HP and then heals two other targets for 1 HP each.

Akash'thrya has ways to heal the tree further.

If can protect the tree from damage, well, free power for everyone !

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

FrivYeti wrote:

New thought: Akash'Flora is going to be just hilarious on a team with Ra. Make all Hero damage Fire, make her immune to fire, let the heroes all rock out every turn while the tree just keeps growing.(Other possibilities: Fanatic could Chastise the tree for as long as she can keep pumping out damage, with some DR in play you could make heavy use of Smoke Bombs or the Stealth Bot, or you could try to get some good Naturalist loops going with the Rhino to keep redirecting damage to him - this would require some pretty substantial card draw, but he can do that!)

Just some thoughts: Flesh of the Sun God only makes hero character cards immune to damage, Chastise can't be played on hero targets, and Smoke Bombs only redirects damage from villain cards.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Double Twist the Ether would work though, wouldn’t it?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That’s a lot of setup to nullify the damage on what can still be a fairly squishy target 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Zealous Offense would stop the Self-damage.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Whoops, I forgot that only Heroes were immunized through Flesh of the Sun God. And I did mean Zealous Offense, rather than Chastise.

Akash'Flora is a target in Akash'Thriya's deck. It starts with 3 HP, but can heal above its maximum. At the start of your turn, every hero can use a power; each time a hero does this, Akash'Flora hits itself for 2 damage. At the end of the turn, Akash'Flora and some heroes heal. 

Pages