The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Quick difficulty setting question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester
Quick difficulty setting question

Hello all, I just bought the game and read the rules.  I haven't played yet.  I did have a couple of questions which the FAQ addresses (thanks, Eric!), but couldn't find the answer to one:

One of the options to lower the difficulty even below the starting assumptions is to skip the initial Explore step during setup.  But as near as I can tell from a reading, wouldn't that mean the spirits win instantly?  Without that, there are no invaders of any type on the island, and at fear level 1, that's the win condition.  What am I missing?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Each board has starting towns and cities.  What you wouldn’t have by not doing an initial Explore is any Explorers on the board.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, every board starts with a Town and a City  - the Town is always in an Inland land and the City is always the middle of the three Coastal lands on each board - all four boards are laid out in such a way that there will always be two Explorers added per board in the initial setup.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

There's a common confusion between "Explorers" (the pieces that look like people) and "Invaders" (including Towns or Cities).