The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Also found on this week's one shot:
X-Treme Haka redirecting Fanatic's damage to another hero from Enbolden means it destroys itself due to not dealing damage to said hero :/

~Komori

carnilius
Playtester

Never realized how ridiculous Freedom Five Legacy's incap power is.  Incapacitated FV Legacy and Nightmist in Mist Form == super overpowered -- can still dish out damage and ignore all damage done to her!

Blackfang108
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

Never realized how ridiculous Freedom Five Legacy's incap power is.  Incapacitated FV Legacy and Nightmist in Mist Form == super overpowered -- can still dish out damage and ignore all damage done to her!

That's...

Damn.

Without villian or environmental ongoing destruction, I don't think that's losable.

Hankroyd

A little more Chaotic, but Nightmist in Mist Form just loves opening present from Santa Guise.

Gus_Smedstad

I’m never really clear when you can get around a “can’t play cards” ongoing. Often, effects that says “play a card” are cancelled by cards like Mist Form or Turret Mode. I know that you can’t use Argent Adept’s powers to play cards, for example. I don’t see how Freedom Five’s incapacitated power gets around the “can’t play cards” text. Santa Guise works because you’re not playing cards, you’re turning over cards that are already in your play area.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Gus_Smedstad wrote:
I don’t see how Freedom Five’s incapacitated power gets around the “can’t play cards” text. Santa Guise works because you’re not playing cards, you’re turning over cards that are already in your play area.
F5 Legacy's incap power specifically says "One player may play a card, even if they would otherwise be prevented."

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

"Even if" trumps "can't" trumps "can" =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Gus_Smedstad

Oh, OK. I didn’t have ready access to the exact text of F5 Legacy’s incap power, I just read the summary off the wiki and assumed it was like most “one hero can play a card” incap powers.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Also anything that says "put a card into play" gets around "can't play", because playing and putting into play are two different things!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Now I'm wondering if F5 Legacy's incapacitated ability can let someone get two Limited cards into play.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I wouldn't think so.

When things like Atlantean Font of Power would cause a Limited card already in play to enter play, it gets discarded. I know some cards that have this effect specify other things (play the next card instead), but that's the usual behavior and I think it would supercede anything else.

Or heck, I can just try it.

...No, it does not allow you to play a Limited card. I think because the "otherwise be prevented" is meant to work against "cannot play cards".

Trajector
Trajector's picture

From this week's one-shot, I learned that Fanatic can mitigate the dangers of Captain Cosmic's Requital power with Zealous Offense. She can also use Divine Sacrifice to ping some constructs, triggering them, and also saving Captain Cosmic some damage.

carnilius
Playtester

I've been playing a lot of the core game on my phone, and I had never discovered how great Oxygen Leak from Wagner Mars Base is.  I had always instantly eliminated it because it was cheap to do so, but it's a pretty cool tool for the heroes with good AoE damage.  Also, slap a Twist the Ether on the main villain and suddently all damage they deal gets turned to fire and is reduced by 4 (3 from the Oxygen Leak, and 1 from TtE).  Just probably don't want to play with the Leak if Ra is on your team, considering it makes him pretty useless.  Also be careful of using it if you are going to blow up a Self Destruct Sequence.

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

If you can get Judge Mental (Miss Information) out in a game with Proletariat your increasing the physic damage dealt to Proletariat at the beginning of his turn. Noticed this combo before a recent game with Proletariat, Fright Train, and Miss Information. Although if your playing with Challenge Proletariat this combo won't work.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

carnilius wrote:

I've been playing a lot of the core game on my phone, and I had never discovered how great Oxygen Leak from Wagner Mars Base is.  I had always instantly eliminated it because it was cheap to do so, but it's a pretty cool tool for the heroes with good AoE damage.  Also, slap a Twist the Ether on the main villain and suddently all damage they deal gets turned to fire and is reduced by 4 (3 from the Oxygen Leak, and 1 from TtE).  Just probably don't want to play with the Leak if Ra is on your team, considering it makes him pretty useless.  Also be careful of using it if you are going to blow up a Self Destruct Sequence.

Beautiful!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I mentioned this jn another thread, but a solid strategy for beating Dawn (especially with fewer players) is to let her get a lot of Citizens out and play defensively.  She'll immediately flip back and you can finish her up.

Griff's Dad

Not truly unexpected, but I love playing Writhe's Blackout on Mega-Gunner after Sergeant Steele has activated him. 4 damage to every villain target, and any/all backlash damage not hitting a hero? Sign me up!

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

So the Chaos Lord Title from Kaargra's fight is an interesting play with F5 Tachyon in that you can Blitz, placing a burst card from trash underneath your deck, and then hit yourself, which puts that card into play. Fleet of Foot came out at least three times every round after the first few rounds. It wasn't pretty.

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

Godai
Godai's picture

RySmith6 wrote:

So the Chaos Lord Title from Kaargra's fight is an interesting play with F5 Tachyon in that you can Blitz, placing a burst card from trash underneath your deck, and then hit yourself, which puts that card into play. Fleet of Foot came out at least three times every round after the first few rounds. It wasn't pretty.

*drool* that is awesome. 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaa! That's beautiful.

Roger the Alien

Well, this isn‘t an unexpected combination but maybe my post fits here. 

As Benchmark was released yesterday... I can recommend to bundle him with AZ. 

Absolute Zero loves Onboard Cooling System. 

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

More Benchmark and Absolute Zero fun, courteousy of everyone's favorite ruthless efficency archer: 

After scoping out Benchmark's Inferno Pod, Parse decided to fire a Targeting Arrow right into AZ's intake, increasing the fire damage he took and output, leading to even more explosive Coolant Blast the turn following. 

Theoretically one could use this to heal AZ up even more, but where's the fun in survival?

*Silently Parse wordlessly shoots Absolute Zero in the back" 

"Hey lady, what'd you do that for, that's gonna make everything ten times worse!" 

"You're welcome." 

Kratos13

Was fighting Kismet and Benchmark got Scattered Mind (discard every time you do damage).  With Missile Pod out, all the extra discards were just extra ammo for Missile Pod!  And damage from Missile Pod itself causes even more discards for more Missile Pod ammo for the next round (Kismet didn’t make it to the next round, though).

hstein3
hstein3's picture

I rarely use Dark Watch Mr. Fixer. He has to destroy cards to use his only power, which makes him a bit of a downer, or at least kind of difficult to use effectively. 

He is pretty darn good paired with Stuntman, however. 

Like so many other hero cards, Stuntman's ongoing cards have conditions for destroying them and effects when they are destroyed. Unlike all those other heroes, however, Stuntman's cards activate their effects however they're destroyed, not just if they're destroyed under specific circumstances.

He pairs very, very well with Dark Watch Fixer. Action Hero Stuntman is even better, since he can get two card plays on his turn in order to stay ahead of Fixer's destructive hunger. (Really needs extra card draw, though.)

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

As I’ve said elsewhere Mainstay is also effective paired with DW Fixer 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this thread before, but Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels have an interesting combo.

I played a game with Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels, and got Blackout in my starting hand. On my second turn played Blackout, causing Infintor to destroy 4-5 Manifestions, giving the me an early victory. This was my first time beating Heroic Infintor before he flipped.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Basketkeep wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this thread before, but Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels have an interesting combo.I played a game with Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels, and got Blackout in my starting hand. On my second turn played Blackout, causing Infintor to destroy 4-5 Manifestions, giving the me an early victory. This was my first time beating Heroic Infintor before he flipped.

That one's come up before.  it's a REALLY strong card for Heroic Infinitor.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I like the Lito Foodstuffs Action Lineup: Grandpa Legacy, PWX Captain Cosmic, Stuntman (either one), and Guise.  It’s a really effective team.  Perfect for beating even the hardest boss, and best enjoyed with Dora Lito’s Fresh Cheddar Pressed-Corn Snack Biscuits and some generic soda.

TheHeroicShrimp
TheHeroicShrimp's picture

Basketkeep wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this thread before, but Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels have an interesting combo.I played a game with Heroic Infintor and The Sentinels, and got Blackout in my starting hand. On my second turn played Blackout, causing Infintor to destroy 4-5 Manifestions, giving the me an early victory. This was my first time beating Heroic Infintor before he flipped.

My first time beating Heroic Infinitor flipped was due to Fixed Point in Time Cataclysm. He had all of his manifestations out or under his card, and he kept cycling through his deck playing one-shots, dealing damage, and playing the next card. He finally got all his cards under him and I won with his HP at 0, Captain Cosmic at 0, and Argent Adept, Skyscraper, and Chronoranger all at -1. I feel like I should have gotten the Close One achievement

Maybe you've heard of me

Gus_Smedstad

That should really be its own achievement. Pyrrhic Victory, win a game with all your heroes at 0 HP or less.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Gus_Smedstad wrote:

That should really be its own achievement. Pyrrhic Victory, win a game with all your heroes at 0 HP or less.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Well, this just happened: playing against Ultimate Matriarch in Freedom Tower (as a result of random vill/enviro), with a team of F6 Tempest, PW CC, F5 Legacy, DW Nightmist, and The One True Tachyon (Science Tachyon, of course), and oh boy.  Take Downs and Hypersonic Assaults and Mistbounds abounded.  Speaking of which, if you’re ever in a pickle... there are a lot of fun things you can do with Reclaim from the Deep and Mission Control.  Is Legacy low, but you need Take Down?  Reclaim from Mission Control!  Did you lose Master of Magic?  Reclaim from Mission Control!

EDIT: I almost forgot, we only gave her 2 turns between all our shenanigans.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Mariner wrote:

Reclaim from the Deep and Mission Control

Nice one!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

If both Benchmark and Stuntman are fighting Greazer and Benchmark is the hero target with the highest HP, then Stuntman also counts as Greazer's nemesis.

I really didn't expect it to work that way. Once Akash'Thriya is in the game that has pretty big implications.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It shouldn't work that way, IMO.  "Greazer's Nemesis is any hero character card in the same play area as the Contract card."  It doesn't say that Greazer's nemesis symbol is treated as being the same as the symbol on that card.

Submit your games here!

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

It shouldn't work that way, IMO.  "Greazer's Nemesis is any hero character card in the same play area as the Contract card."  It doesn't say that Greazer's nemesis symbol is treated as being the same as the symbol on that card.

I agree, but the video game does give Greazer's the OblivAeon nemesis symbol.

Also, it would work the same with Void Guard/Sentinels.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

That may have been a programming convenience.  It didn't matter very much back when heroes didn't share nemesis symbols.  Not sure if John ran that by Christopher or not before implementing it.  Hopefully it will show up in a fireside chat at some point.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

I think it’s already in Fireside chats I’ll take a look.  At the very least they have talked about it on stream.  

Edit:  yep it is in Fireside chats

Quote:

Greazer has a nemesis effect against other targets sharing the same nemesis icon that his contract has. For example, if the contract is in Ra’s play area, Anubis and Greazer are also nemeses. In the video game, Greazer’s card shows the appropriate icon during gameplay.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Whoops, should have checked there first.  I disagree with that reading of it but at least it's consistent.

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Good thing because I totally forgot about that!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yay for when you program things right the first time and they just work!  I love it when that happens.

Submit your games here!

Griff's Dad

Got hit with another "ouch." I was fighting Baron Blade in the Time Cataclysm and Fixed Point came up. Then he played Devious Disruption. Fixed Point won't let you destroy any of your own cards, so every hero takes damage equal to the total number of ongoing and equipment cards you have.

Wiped me out in one shot.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Oof!

Roger the Alien

This was probably already posted but I couldn‘t find the search function for this forum. 

Nevertheless , this happened:

I started a random game and Freedom Six Tempest was in the first spot vs. La Capitan. 

She put a card of each hero under her character card during the first turn. 

I played a one-shot and thought, let me just use his Sacrifice power which lets me destroy one of my cards to draw 3 cards although no card of me was in play. 

That assumption was WRONG, one card of Tempest was under La Capitans character card. 

This should also work with Chokepoint, very interesting. 

I often use Tempest but this is my least used variant. 

Powerhound_2000

Note that it will only work with Chokepoint once she has flipped.   On her initial side the facedown cards in her play area can’t be targeted.  

Gus_Smedstad

I’m pretty sure this should work vs. the team variant of La Capitan and the cards under her monkey.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Roger the Alien wrote:

That assumption was WRONG, one card of Tempest was under La Capitans character card. 

Mwa Ha Ha! That's awesome!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

There are a lot of places I often forget to look for cards I can target with Sacrifice and Whoops! Sorry!.  Face-down presents from Santa Guise are a great one.  Also, cards under Savage Mana can be targeted by things like Into the Stratosphere, which can be nice when you're trying to lock down The Chairman.

Submit your games here!

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Cards under cards are still in play, they just have no text other than the name on their back, so tempests cards are still tempests cards.

Fun fact, this also works with Omnitron-U's base power, O-U's cards that are facedown or under other cards still trigger his 2 damage when destroyed.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

My first game to attempt to unlock Super Sentai Idealist was to take her up against Chokepoint.  And because Chokepoint is usually stupidly easy, I almost always play her on Ultimate.  Sounds fine, right?

Nope.

Hoo boy did I forget to read her Challenge mode text carefully.  Void Guard in general hates her--she steals the Shadow Cloak and any of Mainstay's stuff he wrecks--but Idealist is the one who really suffers.  Karate Bot her with 4 fragments to do 10 damage?  Great, Chokepoint heals for 8 of it and deals each hero 8 damage to boot.  I realized my mistake far too late.  It's still a winnable game, especially if you bring Writhe to shut off her healing (or use the Court of Blood) and another hero (Legacy probably) who can tank the damage, but Idealist gets nerfed into the ground otherwise.

Submit your games here!

Pages